Sign in to follow this  
fanfootballtn

Matt Waldman predicts Megatron will out perform Moss

I agree 100% with you. I have Moss, Wayne, Marshall, and Megatron in 1 league along with Drew Brees as my QB. This by far was my best draft ever! I hope your prediction is right! :lol:

I have no idea who Matt Waldman is, but he needs to put down the pipe.

Maybe you need to put the pipe down if you have been on this site for years and don't know who Waldman is. After you get some articles published in well respected FF magazines, then you can talk.

Teams began figuring out how to stop the Patriots toward the end of last season. Matt is right to point out that Welker is not a deep threat like Moss and won't help draw much coverage away. On the other hand, Roy Williams, like Megatron, is a deep threat. He can draw a Safety's attention in his own right. I like Waldo's logic on this one.

:unsure: :( :first: :clap:

I agree 100% with you. I have Moss, Wayne, Marshall, and Megatron in 1 league along with Drew Brees as my QB. This by far was my best draft ever! I hope your prediction is right! :cry:

Cool 3 team league.

It would not shock me even a little bit if Johnson emerged as a top-3 receiver this year- even #1. His physical tools and talent are absolutely unmatched in the league. He's a bigger, faster T.O. with better hands and that's scary. All he is missing is experience.

Maybe you need to put the pipe down if you have been on this site for years and don't know who Waldman is. After you get some articles published in well respected FF magazines, then you can talk.

I've been playing FF for over 13 years and never heard of this guy..... then again, I don't read FF magazines. If you need to read those FF magazines to win in FF, then you need some serious help.

and I agree, Waldman needs to put the pipe down.

I've been playing FF for over 13 years and never heard of this guy..... then again, I don't read FF magazines. If you need to read those FF magazines to win in FF, then you need some serious help.

Matt Waldman posts as Wildman on this site. He was involved in countless discussions on this bored in the offseason, and posted links to numerous informative articles (his own and others) - for those who bother to come by between the last snap of the Super Bowl and the first drafts of August. :rolleyes:

and I agree, Waldman needs to put the pipe down.

I think you miss the point, seadog. Matt Waldman is a poster and regular contributor here, at FFToday. :rolleyes:

And by the way, he's not the only one who thinks that Randy Moss will not be the #1 WR, and will come back to earth. Calvin? Well, to each his own, but it's not ludicrous. I guess it's fun to debate a point with a complete lack of substance, and stand hopefully on the "put down the pipe" line. WOW! I'd never considered the argument from that perspective.

And if you've been playing FF for 13 years, then breaking the status quo should not shock you so much. But have at it.

The Matt Waldman article was titled "Bold Predictions" not "Solid Lock of the Year"

Wildman has supplied many of us with GREAT FF insight and is one of the best in this business. Calvin Johnson has the talent to be the next Rice / Moss type of WR, time will tell if the Lions will drag him down too much to allow this to happen.

The Matt Waldman article was titled "Bold Predictions" not "Solid Lock of the Year"

Wildman has supplied many of us with GREAT FF insight and is one of the best in this business. Calvin Johnson has the talent to be the next Rice / Moss type of WR, time will tell if the Lions will drag him down too much to allow this to happen.

:pointstosky:

this thread started out of context

In my opinion this isn't a radical prediction at all. I've been saying by the end of the year CJ will be regarded as the most talented WR in the game outside of Moss. I find it difficult to expect any WR to out perform Moss with Brady throwing him the ball, but CJ is one of the few capable of doing so.

I think Calvins success this year will depend a lot on the lions offensive scheme.

I hear they are gonna "pound the rock" a LOT more this year...and I believe it. Thats obviously scary for a WRs FF production.

But its not a lock that it hurts it...if Calvin can still get 8-10 targets a game against a D that will see 25-30 running plays against them that day, he could be TOUGH to stop.

As wildman pointed out, you cant stop both Roy and Calvin, and though Calvin is the better talent (arguably), ROY has the better #s in years past.

ONE BIG PROBLEM that I see, with both Roy and Calvin is the fact that ROY has been starting on this team for 4 years now, and he has yet to crack 80 catches....

I do believe that less 4WR formations this year will mean that at the very least they get the same amount of catches as they got in years past...even if its more running.

Yo Matt Waldeman! Wanna have a bet between me and you? I will take Moss over CJ any day of the week! Easy money!

1. I got Brady and the Patriots offense against who? Oh you got Kitna and the Lions!!!!!!

2. Patriots have the easiest schedule with weak defenses

And your argument for having 2 good receivers on same team benefits doesn't fly. 3 examples: Cardinals, Bengals, and Colts.

They all have elite tandem WRs. NONE OF THEM HAD A YEAR LIKE MOSS HAD LAST YEAR YOU TOOL!!!!!!!! And who did Moss have last year? Think about it!

Yo Matt Waldeman! Wanna have a bet between me and you? I will take Moss over CJ any day of the week! Easy money!

1. I got Brady and the Patriots offense against who? Oh you got Kitna and the Lions!!!!!!

2. Patriots have the easiest schedule with weak defenses

And your argument for having 2 good receivers on same team benefits doesn't fly. 3 examples: Cardinals, Bengals, and Colts.

They all have elite tandem WRs. NONE OF THEM HAD A YEAR LIKE MOSS HAD LAST YEAR YOU TOOL!!!!!!!! And who did Moss have last year? Think about it!

wow...dude...really?

Maybe you outta scroll up and read how SOME posters realize this thread is NOT in the context of Waldmans article. Then, read the $%@#ing article :music_guitarred:

In it he starts off by saying that last year he made 6 "bold predictions" (if I recall correctly), and clearly lays out that only 2 were close to correct. Its not meant to be spot on, its meant to catch lighting in a bottle.

Funny you should bring this up.

in my draft Wed night... Johnson and Williams were drafted in the 2nd and 3rd round,, yet no one drafted Kitna (me) till the 7th round.

who do they think is going to throw all these yards and td's to the WR's? :music_guitarred:

I agree 100% with you. I have Moss, Wayne, Marshall, and Megatron in 1 league along with Drew Brees as my QB. This by far was my best draft ever! I hope your prediction is right! :thumbsup:

LT and ADP also?

I agree 100% with you. I have Moss, Wayne, Marshall, and Megatron in 1 league along with Drew Brees as my QB. This by far was my best draft ever! I hope your prediction is right! :thumbsup:
LT and ADP also?

This isn't that out of line...(Not the LT/AP comment)

Rd 1 Moss

Rd 2 Wayne

Rd 3 Brees

Rd 4 Marshall (likely was still suspended 3 games when drafted here)

Rd 5 Calvin Johnson

There's not a single running back in here, but I could EASILY buy a draft going down like this. Stop being a retard and contribute to the board.

This Lions offense is a real enigma, honestly. They have tons of upside, but a lot of risk as well. They plan to run the ball a lot, and IMO if they are successful at doing so could become a very good offense. But the o-line is a big question mark and Kitna is only an okay QB. They also only have 4 WRs on their roster, so I am expacting a lot of 2 TE, 2 WRs sets. There are just too may variables here to really say how it will play out. If things play out, CJ could be in line for a monster year, but remains to be seen how this offense shakes out.

I think Calvins success this year will depend a lot on the lions offensive scheme.

ONE BIG PROBLEM that I see, with both Roy and Calvin is the fact that ROY has been starting on this team for 4 years now, and he has yet to crack 80 catches....

The one year that Williams stayed relatively healthy, he put up 1300 yds. His problem has not been talent or the Lions offensive scheme, it's been his own inability to stay on the field. Outside of his one healthy year, he's missed an average of 3 full games a year and parts of several others games.

Cool 3 team league.

In defense of this guy...

1) It could be a keeper league.

2) In a redraft, you could take Moss/Wayne at the 1/2 turn, Brees/Megatron at the 3/4 turn and Brandon Marshall could be had as late as the 7th round prior to the reduction of his suspension and before his great pre-season showing.

His running backs might suck, but it's hardly impossible to have all five of those guys on a team.

stats correlating from the qb position to the wr position is a quirky thing.

i recall some instances where the wr posted stud numbers while the qb was avg at best:

1) cards had it twice with plummer posting avg stats, and rob moore [~100-1500-9] and david boston [~100-1500-8] posting great stats. in fact, those guys could have added 6-7 more TDs and plummer still would not have been above avg or elite.

2) cards also had a third instance, a yr when i had jeff blake as my starter [don't laugh, it was a 32 team dynasty] and anquan boldin [100-1300-7] posted great stats. blake was decent with ~2400/15/15.

3) the rams had two instances: once in 2003 when holt [110-1700-12] had his career yr, bulger had a very kitna-esque ~3900/22/22.

4) the rams had their first example back in 1995, the "yr of the wr", when jerry rice [~120-1850-15] and isaac bruce [~120-1790-13] assaulted the record books. i think chris miller (?) was the passer, and i'm sure he was not elite or even above avg.

these are just examples, but a wr can definitely post elite stats without a qb posting similar level stats.

The main reason I have been coming to this site is the articles. I didn't even discover the forums until the offseason, and the offseason arrests were one of the reasons I kep coming into the forums. I find that when I read a Waldman or a MacGregor article, I generally find myself scrolling up at the end to see who wrote it, as they are almost always informative, in-depth and containing info I'm not getting anywhere else. People who are ripping this guy have obviously not read his stuff (which they have stated). It's also pretty ignorant to rip an article you haven't read. These guys are doing an awesome job. In the article, as mentioned it is about "bold predictions". As has also been mentioned, Waldman admits to only getting 3 (he gets the Ricky Williams even if its late, I thought he was half-cracked suggesting that last year) of his 6 predictions correct. Dude goes out of his way to write about a subject that we obvisouly all care about enough to come in here and sign up and rant about. He also doesn't give us obvious drivel like most of the bigger websites (see CBS sportsline) writers do. Dave Richard and Jamie Einsberg are two of the WORST writers out there, just giving obvious chocies to obvious questions. Do I take everything these guys write as the end-all know-all in FF? No. I am the end-all know-all in FF because I'm the guy managing my team, and I have to live with how I draft and manage it. Do I take the info they write and use it? Sometimes, but more than anything it's just well-written material with well-researched stats, which is a nice change from alot of stuff out there. If you want to rip a guy for his writing go rip Matthew Berry and his stuff. He is generally talking more about 90210 than football and gets off on it when guys email him tearing a strip out of him. I like his column too, cause it makes me laugh (after I finally figured out he doesn't take himself very seriously). Bottom line, Waldman is putting out some great material and alot of you numbnuts are too concerned about debating your team's greatness. Maybe reading some decent material would make your team that much better. Or maybe you know it all already. I know I do :(

This isn't that out of line...(Not the LT/AP comment)

Rd 1 Moss

Rd 2 Wayne

Rd 3 Brees

Rd 4 Marshall (likely was still suspended 3 games when drafted here)

Rd 5 Calvin Johnson

There's not a single running back in here, but I could EASILY buy a draft going down like this. Stop being a retard and contribute to the board.

This is still pretty out of whack unless it is an 8 team league (and that would be fine) but to say that Brees would last until the end of the 3rd then Calvin to the end of the 5th is a bit of a stretch for most folks here.

Anyway, the main point is people find it annoying when teams are posted and the "drafter" is insinuating they did such a great job.

I play in a 14 team league with guys who have all played for 8+ years so to think I could possibly have a team close to that is a dream...but, whatever, ya know?

I am interested to know is RB situation though...

THE FIRST NFL WEEKEND IS UPON US!!! Cheers to all :(

anytime people make bold predicitons they are going to take some backlash and their predictions will be ripped apart. It comes with making them bold. Doesn't matter who you are, it's going to happen.

just refer to the pinned thread about bold predicitons at the top of this page.

The main reason I have been coming to this site is the articles. I didn't even discover the forums until the offseason, and the offseason arrests were one of the reasons I kep coming into the forums. I find that when I read a Waldman or a MacGregor article, I generally find myself scrolling up at the end to see who wrote it, as they are almost always informative, in-depth and containing info I'm not getting anywhere else. People who are ripping this guy have obviously not read his stuff (which they have stated). It's also pretty ignorant to rip an article you haven't read. These guys are doing an awesome job. In the article, as mentioned it is about "bold predictions". As has also been mentioned, Waldman admits to only getting 3 (he gets the Ricky Williams even if its late, I thought he was half-cracked suggesting that last year) of his 6 predictions correct. Dude goes out of his way to write about a subject that we obvisouly all care about enough to come in here and sign up and rant about. He also doesn't give us obvious drivel like most of the bigger websites (see CBS sportsline) writers do. Dave Richard and Jamie Einsberg are two of the WORST writers out there, just giving obvious chocies to obvious questions. Do I take everything these guys write as the end-all know-all in FF? No. I am the end-all know-all in FF because I'm the guy managing my team, and I have to live with how I draft and manage it. Do I take the info they write and use it? Sometimes, but more than anything it's just well-written material with well-researched stats, which is a nice change from alot of stuff out there. If you want to rip a guy for his writing go rip Matthew Berry and his stuff. He is generally talking more about 90210 than football and gets off on it when guys email him tearing a strip out of him. I like his column too, cause it makes me laugh (after I finally figured out he doesn't take himself very seriously). Bottom line, Waldman is putting out some great material and alot of you numbnuts are too concerned about debating your team's greatness. Maybe reading some decent material would make your team that much better. Or maybe you know it all already. I know I do

...help...help...I'm buried under all this text

Wow...

Thanks to those of you who enjoy the columns. For those of you who think I need to put down the pipe, I think I'll take another hit! :bandana:

bold /boÊŠld/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[bohld] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective, -er, -est.

1. not hesitating or fearful in the face of actual or possible danger or rebuff; courageous and daring: a bold hero.

2. not hesitating to break the rules of propriety; forward; impudent: He apologized for being so bold as to speak to the emperor.

3. necessitating courage and daring; challenging: a bold adventure.

4. beyond the usual limits of conventional thought or action; imaginative: Einstein was a bold mathematician. a difficult problem needing a bold answer.

5. striking or conspicuous to the eye; flashy; showy: a bold pattern. :thumbsup:

I prefer the predictions from the guys who before last season predicted 50 TDs for Brady, and recommended avoiding SJax and Gore.

Seriously, though, I think I'm on board with Megatron outproducing Moss.

Ok, this is the thing about so called bold predictions:

They are expected to be wrong.

If someone comes on here and says that CJ will out produce Moss - it garners attention. At the end of the season, if said prediction was wrong (which it probably will be), no one makes a big deal about it, because no one actually believed it in the first place.

But, in the event that this prediction actually comes true - everyone will remember it, talk about it, etc, etc. Its a No-Lose situation for the writer, I see them doing these types of things every season.

On FantasyIndex.com, there was a writer that stated that he was predicting that Randy Moss wouldn't have a great season. Of course people let him have it, but if he gets it wrong, no one will even remember. But, if he gets it right, that same writer would never let us forget it.

The bottom line is that its really simple writing, but it does succeed in the fact that it garners up attention and controversy - kind of like this thread. The OP is doing nothing more than playing right into the writers hand, this is exactly what he wanted you to do.

Ok, this is the thing about so called bold predictions:

They are expected to be wrong.

If someone comes on here and says that CJ will out produce Moss - it garners attention. At the end of the season, if said prediction was wrong (which it probably will be), no one makes a big deal about it, because no one actually believed it in the first place.

But, in the event that this prediction actually comes true - everyone will remember it, talk about it, etc, etc. Its a No-Lose situation for the writer, I see them doing these types of things every season.

On FantasyIndex.com, there was a writer that stated that he was predicting that Randy Moss wouldn't have a great season. Of course people let him have it, but if he gets it wrong, no one will even remember. But, if he gets it right, that same writer would never let us forget it.

The bottom line is that its really simple writing, but it does succeed in the fact that it garners up attention and controversy - kind of like this thread. The OP is doing nothing more than playing right into the writers hand, this is exactly what he wanted you to do.

It is really simple writing. It's supposed to be fun. You know. F-U-N, fun :thumbsdown: ? It's supposed to make you think and consider something you may have not considered before. It's not neuroscience, it's fantasy football. I don't mind the "put down the pipe" comments. It's akin to having a lunch hour conversation with a co-worker buddy about fantasy football:

Them: What do you think of Calvin Johnson?

Me: He could be great, I could see him outproducing Moss?

Them: Santana Moss?

Me: No, Randy...

Them: Get outta here...

Me: No, really. Look at the receiver situation with both teams (explain the rest)

Them: Put that pipe down will ya?

Me: F-U!

Them and Me: (Laughter)

What's happening with this thread is no different :doh:

This thread is crassic :wave:

In the second post Big Blue takes a shot across Waldmans bow (I believe, fully knowing who the h3ll he is) and the rest writes its self :ninja:

Who knows, anything is possible.

I don't think it's going to happen though.

He should put down the pipe . Getting some articles published means you have good connections but does nt mean that you know what you are talking about.

This thread is crassic :dunno:

crassic! (slants eyes)

He should put down the pipe . Getting some articles published means you have good connections but does nt mean that you know what you are talking about.

Dang...after five years, a couple hundred articles, and a few online publications all it took was an article where the purpose of it is to do some speculation for me to finally be exposed as the hack that I am. I guess I should be lumped in the same group as professional wrestlers, Carlos Mencia, and the telephone psychic with the phony Jamaican accent!

Congratulations, John Stossel, you've done it again!

And to think I was able to fool everyone for this long....I better call up my uncle in the fantasy sports industry and see if he has any connections in fantasy bass fishing, because the football gig is up.