Sign in to follow this  
jgcrawfish

***Observations from last nights opening game***

Not a fan of either, but here are my feelings on last night, some FF related, some not...

Redskins:

1. Campbell looks lost.

2. Santana Moss is still pretty good.

3. Portis is the only real weapon on that team.

4. The defense ate up the Redskins offensive line.

5. Cooley getting only ONE target the whole game long is a bad sign.

6. The Redskins defense got a lot better after the 1st quarter.

7. Jim Zorn still has a LOT to learn as a HC. Play calling was bad and clock management at the end was putrid.

Giants:

1. Plaxico Burress when healthy IS an elite WR.

2. They don't miss Shockey, at all.

3. The Giants have a LOT of quality WR's and will really trouble teams when they go spread.

4. Eli is still VERY inaccurate.

5. Brandon Jacobs is a BEAST

6. Brandon Jacobs will not stay healthy because he takes a tremendous pounding.

7. The defensive line looks good even without Strahan and Osi.

8. This may be the most underrated defending superbowl champion in a while.

Not a fan of either, but here are my feelings on last night, some FF related, some not...

Redskins:

1. Campbell looks lost.

7. Jim Zorn still has a LOT to learn as a HC. Play calling was bad and clock management at the end was putrid.

Giants:

3. The Giants have a LOT of quality WR's and will really trouble teams when they go spread.

The Giants may miss Shockey in the long run. Unlike most people Im not all over Boss' balls and I don't think he is a reliable offensive weapon. As far as Eli's development getting rid of Shockey was a good thing but until someone really steps up alongside Plax, they may miss having Shockey in certain situations.

I noticed Randel El is the redskins WR you want. Moss may have scored the TD but Randel El looks better and was thrown to more often. He was drafted much later in fantasy leagues as well.

and i agree with everything you noticed about the Redskins. They have alot of work to do.

The Giants may miss Shockey in the long run. Unlike most people Im not all over Boss' balls and I don't think he is a reliable offensive weapon. As far as Eli's development getting rid of Shockey was a good thing but until someone really steps up alongside Plax, they may miss having Shockey in certain situations.

I noticed Randel El is the redskins WR you want. Moss may have scored the TD but Randel El looks better and was thrown to more often. He was drafted much later in fantasy leagues as well.

and i agree with everything you noticed about the Redskins. They have alot of work to do.

Agree on Randel EL. He is still available in a lot of leagues and is prob worth a pickup.

Redskins:

1. Campbell looks lost.

Giants:

saying it was bad clock mgmt implies he thought they could score three times in 5min. They barely scored once in 50min, I think he was working on the gmaeplan. Unfortunatley for him, it isnt looking very good. Giants are good though, we will see how they do against lesser foes.

saying it was bad clock mgmt implies he thought they could score three times in 5min. They barely scored once in 50min, I think he was working on the gmaeplan. Unfortunatley for him, it isnt looking very good. Giants are good though, we will see how they do against lesser foes.

you know they only had to score 2 times in 5 minutes right? (down 9 points) they should have been in the hurryup offense trying to get downfield and score a TD as quick as possible to avoid having to try an onsides kick. Once they wasted so much clock they still had a shot to kick a FG onsides kick and try to score the game winning TD. Instead they went for the endzone a few times meaning they gave up on trying to win the game.

you know they only had to score 2 times in 5 minutes right? (down 9 points) they should have been in the hurryup offense trying to get downfield and score a TD as quick as possible to avoid having to try an onsides kick. Once they wasted so much clock they still had a shot to kick a FG onsides kick and try to score the game winning TD. Instead they went for the endzone a few times meaning they gave up on trying to win the game.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: I bet this coach doesn't stay head coach long at all, more likely a "step down" than fired. Tough to go on just one game but he needs to really show some improvement fast. It would be one thing to just fock up the game management at the end. But he seemed to screw up all damn night with the no looks a Cooley(no, I don't own him or any Redskin), almost all passes short of 8 yards, running Portis up the gut every running play at one point, things like that.

and when you think about it just doing a few things differently could have won the game... it was so poorly managed and they only lost by 9. If the Giants didnt shoot themselves in the foot on offense 3 or 4 times the score could have easily been embarassing

Agree. They threw short passes and missed out on the FG attempt then turned the friggin ball over on downs and came away with no points. With 4 1/2 mins left down by 9 they acted like they had all the friggin time in the world, running the ball and throwing short underneath routes. It was really poor play calling and time management and reeked of rookie head coach.

Eli's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd reads go Plax, Plax, and Plax. He had to been targeted 12 times last night at least. I could live with 192 targets for the season.

Jacobs looked nice, kind of scares me because the Jacobs owner has Moss and Owens, so if he pans out, yikes.

Eli is erratic.

He should have been picked off 3 or 4 times.

Too bad the WAS secondary can't catch even if you throw it at their hands.

Eli is erratic.

that one that hit Smoot in the hands in the endzone when Toomer cut off his route was classic.

Eli is erratic.

He was determined to throw a pick with those crappy passes.

Here is one observation that I had--

IMO Santana Moss made what should/could have been one of the all time greatest plays in the history of the NFL. He lost[did not yet have possesion of] the ball when the CB hit him to the ground. He made an incredible athletic play to then catch the ball using his body and legs. Once he had possession, he had the presence of mind to get up and run towards the endzone for what would have been a TD since he had not been touched down AFTER gaining possession. I CANNOT believe Michaels, Madden,NBC replays just poopoo'ed over this. Not only do I think it was an eternal highlight reel play, but good lord it could have made the score 16-14 with a quarter to play...so umm yeah it maybe maybe would have impacted the game?!?

This was a rare,freakish play where Moss uniquely improvised skill and intelligence.

Can i get a witness on this?

Redskins:

1. Campbell looks lost.

Giants:

well, I will play the devils advocate and point out some other things that may be worth watching:

1) While manning looked good, the only receiver he really targeted was Plax, and they looked a little one dimensional.

-With that being said, it may be a case where they found something that worked and dared Washington to stop it, and Washington couldnt or wouldnt. And I dont have high expectations of washingtons defense, but If I were in charge, I would have double covered plax and dare the Giants to beat them in another way.

This leads me to point 2...

2) I dont think that washington managed their game well on either side of the ball. The only exception is on Defense where their red zone defense looked good. the poor management/play calling on offense could be the fault of the QB or the coach (or both), but they were conservative at times when they needed to open things up, and the team didnt manage the clock as well as they could have.

3) Jacobs did look like a beast, but Washington isnt a true test for a guy like him.

overall, NY looks good, but its too early to tell if thats due to a weak opponent or due to the brilliance of their team.

It really has nothing to do with anything important... but I really liked NBC's presentation of the game from a video and audio/home theater standpoint... the video and audio quality was superb. Throw in Madden and Michaels and a straight forward presentation of the everything (ie no stupid Fox robots jumping on the screen), and NBC's coverage is clearly the best between all of the stations IMO.

Also not related to much, I also liked how they had Strahan announce the team and the fashion that he did so. I'm by no means a NY fan, but it did get me fired up. It was sort of Michael Buffer-esque

As far as the game and fantasy/real-world football stuff... glad I didn't draft any Redskins and am not a fan of their team.

NYG does indeed look like a SUperBowl Champion... Jacobs and Burress will be fantasy forces, and Eli will be serviceable for those who waited on QB.

It really has nothing to do with anything important... but I really liked NBC's presentation of the game from a video and audio/home theater standpoint... the video and audio quality was superb. Throw in Madden and Michaels and a straight forward presentation of the everything (ie no stupid Fox robots jumping on the screen), and NBC's coverage is clearly the best between all of the stations IMO.

Also not related to much, I also liked how they had Strahan announce the team and the fashion that he did so. I'm by no means a NY fan, but it did get me fired up. It was sort of Michael Buffer-esque

As far as the game and fantasy/real-world football stuff... glad I didn't draft any Redskins and am not a fan of their team.

NYG does indeed look like a SUperBowl Champion... Jacobs and Burress will be fantasy forces, and Eli will be serviceable for those who waited on QB.

i agree fox is possibly the most annoying station to watch for football and who can stand joe buck seriously?

for as much ###### as madden gets i love him as a color commentator and michaels has always been great.

I agree with that Moss catch :pointstosky: . It never hit the ground and NO ONE said anything, it should have been a TD. I guess they couldn't challenge that one.

I agree with that Moss catch :pointstosky: . It never hit the ground and NO ONE said anything, it should have been a TD. I guess they couldn't challenge that one.

Good lookin out The Ruckus, for awhile i thought i was living in my own little world. The refs blew the play dead.....but still

Good lookin out The Ruckus, for awhile i thought i was living in my own little world. The refs blew the play dead.....but still

i dont think it was as great as you made it out to be. there are crazy catches like that each year..

a year or 2 ago Cotchery had that crazy catch where he stayed up despite being hit by 2 defenders downfield and got up and ran for a TD...

the moss play just seems amazing because its football season again and its now fresh in your mind!

it was a great catch tho and for some perspective the catch itself was probably as hard or harder than Tyree's catch in the superbowl but that one goes down as maybe the best in nfl history because of the pressure of happening on the biggest stage in football at the biggest moment.

If the Skins do not throw more to Portis my first pick in my second league was waisted :doublethumbsup:

IMO Santana Moss made what should/could have been one of the all time greatest plays in the history of the NFL. He lost[did not yet have possesion of] the ball when the CB hit him to the ground. He made an incredible athletic play to then catch the ball using his body and legs. Once he had possession, he had the presence of mind to get up and run towards the endzone for what would have been a TD since he had not been touched down AFTER gaining possession. I CANNOT believe Michaels, Madden,NBC replays just poopoo'ed over this. Not only do I think it was an eternal highlight reel play, but good lord it could have made the score 16-14 with a quarter to play...so umm yeah it maybe maybe would have impacted the game?!?

This was a rare,freakish play where Moss uniquely improvised skill and intelligence.

Yes, I was screaming at my TV that the play should have been a TD and the refs completely focked it up by blowin the whistle prematurely. Not a peep from Michaels or Madden about it.

But the Redskins played so poorly that I could only cry about it so much.

Other observations coming from a Skins fan:

Zorn looked completely in over his head. Playcalling was atrocious and really set Campbell up to fail. The gameplan was terrible and lacked any sort of basic rhythm or creativy. Really made it easy for the Giants D. Clock management and overall game managment were atrocious as well. Can only hope he quickly learns from his MANY mistakes.

Campbell did not play as bad as many here would like to indicate. But he did not play well at all. Didnt step up in the pocket when he needed to and didnt go through his progressions quick enough. But again Zorn really set him up with the horrible playcalling. Offensive line did not play that poorly either. Only gave up the one sack at beginning of game and were decent in the run game. They too were set up to fail by Zorn and Campbell.

Skins defense made good adjustments and played much better after the first 2 drives. Springs not playing was a big factor as Smoot proves he is now nothing more than a nickle guy. Was pleased with how Rogers looked coming off major knee injury. D will be fine if it could get healthy and any help from the offense.

As for the Giants I was rather unimpressed. They should have blown the Skins out of the stadium in the first half. Plax is a beast as long as he can stay healthy. Same goes for Jacobs. Really surprised to not see more of Bradshaw but I figure he'll get his chances in other matchups.

First game. Both teams have major room for improvement. As a Skins fan though we are clearly looking like bottom feeders of the division at the moment.

:doublethumbsup:

i dont think it was as great as you made it out to be. there are crazy catches like that each year..

a year or 2 ago Cotchery had that crazy catch where he stayed up despite being hit by 2 defenders downfield and got up and ran for a TD...

the moss play just seems amazing because its football season again and its now fresh in your mind!

it was a great catch tho and for some perspective the catch itself was probably as hard or harder than Tyree's catch in the superbowl but that one goes down as maybe the best in nfl history because of the pressure of happening on the biggest stage in football at the biggest moment.

No doubt about Tyree's catch being the greatest I've ever seen including the factors you mentioned.

Hypothetically if the Moss catch would have been a TD, I would put it somewhere in the same neighborhood as that Antonio Freeman catch on MNF (pack vs. Vikings). Not as great as i made it out to be, but a highlight reeler for sure. I probably was a little giddy from football starting again,plus i just love what that catch and run were all about ya know.

In related news, about 5 years ago there was this kid from Virginia,Virginia Tech..I cannot remember nor do i recall his name...but he was a DB and the WR he was covering ran a sideline route...anyways, he jumped/dove for the pick but if he would have intercepted he would have landed well out of bounds due to his momentum...this guy had the wherewithall/presence of mind to bat the ball back inbounds to his safety who in turn managed to catch it himself before his momentum took him out of bounds. Those two formed at the head like voltron. The whole turn of events happened within like 1 second. That was probably the only time in that DB's entire football career that particular situation presented itself. You cannot coach that into a player. I have a fondness for guys like that.

I have a fondness for guys .

:overhead:

You cannot coach that into an anal-loving man. I have a fondness for guys like that.

What is wrong with you?

You shouldn't post here anymore.

Yep, I couldn't believe they did not notice he didn't gain possession until he was on the ground ALONE. But since the whistle had blown they couldn't allow him to keep running the play was dead.

Zorn said something at half time that was telling...he said Campbell has to stop staring down receivers and read the defense. He never did stop doing that. I think he doesn't last but a couple more weeks. And if Collins is QB I think Moss does great (as he did last year when he came in).

The 2 idiots in the booth acted like that catch as a standard 5 yard slant catch and tackle. If it was TO or 85 that catch would have been dissected by them for the next hour.

Yes, I was screaming at my TV that the play should have been a TD and the refs completely focked it up by blowin the whistle prematurely. Not a peep from Michaels or Madden about it.

But the Redskins played so poorly that I could only cry about it so much.

Other observations coming from a Skins fan:

Zorn looked completely in over his head. Playcalling was atrocious and really set Campbell up to fail. The gameplan was terrible and lacked any sort of basic rhythm or creativy. Really made it easy for the Giants D. Clock management and overall game managment were atrocious as well. Can only hope he quickly learns from his MANY mistakes.

Campbell did not play as bad as many here would like to indicate. But he did not play well at all. Didnt step up in the pocket when he needed to and didnt go through his progressions quick enough. But again Zorn really set him up with the horrible playcalling. Offensive line did not play that poorly either. Only gave up the one sack at beginning of game and were decent in the run game. They too were set up to fail by Zorn and Campbell.

Skins defense made good adjustments and played much better after the first 2 drives. Springs not playing was a big factor as Smoot proves he is now nothing more than a nickle guy. Was pleased with how Rogers looked coming off major knee injury. D will be fine if it could get healthy and any help from the offense.

As for the Giants I was rather unimpressed. They should have blown the Skins out of the stadium in the first half. Plax is a beast as long as he can stay healthy. Same goes for Jacobs. Really surprised to not see more of Bradshaw but I figure he'll get his chances in other matchups.

First game. Both teams have major room for improvement. As a Skins fan though we are clearly looking like bottom feeders of the division at the moment.

:unsure:

I agree with this. Seemed like the line was having some trouble with the D line of the Giants too.