Sign in to follow this  
PATSSOX

Clinton Portis - Sprained Knee

Washington Post

Redskins: Portis '50-50' to play in Week 11

"After Clinton Portis missed Monday's practice, Redskins coach Jim Zorn revealed that Portis has a knee sprain and put his featured back's chances of playing in Week 11 at "50-50."

Zorn is optimistic about Portis facing Dallas, but conceded that the injury did not get better during the Week 10 bye. Zorn doesn't expect Ladell Betts (knee) back this week, so if Portis is out Shaun Alexander and Rock Cartwright would likely share the workload. It sounds like Portis won't practice much, if any this week and be a game-time decision on Sunday Night "

anyone know anymore info?? does not look like betts will be able to go either. alexander and rock may have to carry load. i hope the heck not because i have portis in 2 leagues and had betts but not alexander. :lol: being a sunday night game i might be S.O.L.!! i may have to play felix jones if portis cant go. :dunno:

I have Portis and Betts and I traded for Alexander yesterday Morning, Sunday at 12.

I was finally sick of FWP, not having Moore, I traded FWP to him for Slaton and Alexander.

Slaton did GREAT for me yesterday :wall:

I just saw this as well. I wouldn't get too worked up about it just yet, he really hasn't practiced all year and i can't see him missing out on a very important divisional game. However even in the previous week Zorn has said that he expected Portis to play. I'd like to hear that from him later this week.

I just saw this as well. I wouldn't get too worked up about it just yet, he really hasn't practiced all year and i can't see him missing out on a very important divisional game. However even in the previous week Zorn has said that he expected Portis to play. I'd like to hear that from him later this week.

Hopefully it's coach talk, but I can change my lineup up till 5 minutes before kickoff, so I should be good.

thats what i was thinking also. plus it always said he was banged up and bruised. a sprained knee is not good for a RB :wall:

Yeah but two or three weeks ago it said sore neck, back, knee, etc. etc.

I think we will have a better idea by wednesday, but I think (hope) he will play

so shaun alexander and rock cartwright if portis and betts cannot go? wow. that would be some waiver wire click.

a sprained knee??? then wtf was he doing catching balls on the last drive with 1min left in a game out of reach????

i read somewhere it happened on the first drive....if it was that bad wouldnt he have left....?? especiallyon the last meaningless drive.

I will be surprised if he is inactive.....

This sucks. Nationally televised game at home, against the hapless Cowboys. This was supposed to be one of Portis' big weeks, especially after a BYE.

The one saving grace has been that if he plays, he usually sucks it up and is his normal studly self. But the coach has not said 50-50 once this year, until now.

Some guy on another board said he hear Portis on the radio, He stated it was an Grade 2 MCL sprain and Portis wouldn't even go so far as to say he would play. Apparently he just straightened out his leg today.

Not looking so good, but im crossing my fingers

This is from the Washington Times. Doesn't sound very promising.

Portis is questionable

Quick update on the Clinton Portis item earlier this afternoon, when he revealed he sustained a second-degree MCL strain against Pittsburgh.

Although the Redskins are likely to list Portis as questionable leading into Sunday night's game against Dallas, this injury could keep Portis on the sideline for not just one game but two games.

This is from a medical Web site: "Grade II MCL Tear: Grade II injuries are also considered incomplete tears of the MCL. These patients may complain of instability when attempting to cut or pivot. The pain and swelling is more significant, and usually a period of 3-4 weeks of rest is necessary."

Ladell Betts' injury -- sprained MCL, although we don't know which grade it was -- has kept him out nearly a month. He was hurt Oct. 12 and might only return to practice tomorrow.

The last word on this: I'm guessing Portis wasn't supposed to reveal the injury during his radio appearance. Just a hunch.

I own him in my main league and thought there was no question he would just sit all week until Friday and then be a definate go on Sunday night. This report has me concerned enough though that I'll be benching him for the time being. Since it's the Sunday night game it's too risky to plug him in your line-up and then not have someone to sub in for him if he can't play.

Betts sounds like he may be able to play, but Zorn says he isn't 100%. I'm not about to trust Shaun Alexander or Rock Cartwright either. Looks like Portis owners better plan ahead and find a RB they can start in his place. Fortunately for me I have DeAngelo to plug in there (let's just hope Addai finally comes around as a start alongside him).

Appearing on John Thompson's D.C. area radio show, Clinton Portis revealed that his knee injury is a second-degree MCL sprain.

Portis said the pain increased late last week, which led to another examination and the sprain diagnosis. He's hoping to play Sunday against the Cowboys, but it's not a good sign that he can't even bend his knee right now. Don't expect Portis to practice until Friday at the earliest, and he's likely to be a game-time decision in a best-case scenario. Coach Jim Zorn said that Ladell Betts (knee) has a better chance than Portis to play this week.

Source: Washington Post

Redskins coach Jim Zorn expects Ladell Betts (knee) to return to practice this week with an eye toward playing Sunday.

"He's probably in a little bit better position to be active as the week goes on [vs. Portis]. He is nowhere 100 percent yet, but I think he looks like he's gonna participate in practice," said Zorn. Portis owners should pick up Betts for the long haul, but Sunday's game looks like a committee approach with Shaun Alexander and Rock Cartwright.

Ok....i am obviously not a doctor but let me ask a question. Ladell Betts sprains his knee grade 1 and leaves the field immediately with help from trainers.

Clinton Portis sprains knee grade 2 in the first quarter and is still in the game with one min left when the game was meaningless.

could someone please tell me wtf is going on??????????? :wall:

ps....after several cold beers i do recall portis being tackled on one of those meaningless passes he caught at the end of the game being a little ginger....homers chime in. I was a little durr.... :P

I am in a must win situation and was banking on CP this week;

My other option is MJD Vs titans.

Should I just roll with Jones-Drew? I hate that matchup, but at least hes healthy. :pointstosky:

It seems that even if CP plays, he may be limited or could come out early.....

At least my other RB is D. williams, who gets the worst team ever as his matchup; the crappy lions

every day it sounds less and less likely that portis is going to play. i would say he does everything he can do to play on sunday night. every game from here out is almost a must win for teams in that division especially against teams within division. if portis does not play than that is a very bad sign for us portis owners. :) i have him in two leagues and he has gotten me into first and second in each. just my luck that he may go down right at playoff time and waste my whole year. :shocking:

had dropped betts in both league 2 weeks ago but just went back and grabbed him before someone got any ideas. we saw what betts did a few years ago and he will be the man in DC if portis is out. so if you have portis id advise to go get him.

:rolleyes:

Coach Jim Zorn said that Ladell Betts (knee) has a better chance than Portis to play this week. Nov. 11 - 6:34 pm et

Ok....i am obviously not a doctor but let me ask a question. Ladell Betts sprains his knee grade 1 and leaves the field immediately with help from trainers.

Portis has a high tolerance for Pain and usually plays with injuries well. This is an injury he needs to sit until week 13. Unless the Redskins feel they are in dange rof being out of the playoffs I would NOT play him until week 13.

Portis has a high tolerance for Pain and usually plays with injuries well. This is an injury he needs to sit until week 13. Unless the Redskins feel they are in dange rof being out of the playoffs I would NOT play him until week 13.

as long as he plays during fantasy football playoffs im fine with it-LOL hopefully betts will produce until than :rolleyes:

If you're a Portis owner, handcuff Betts. If you're an injury vulture like myself (and don't own Portis) keep an eye on Betts and snag him later in the week if he practices.

Portis was just on the Michael Irvin Show. He's having a limited range in motion and some swelling which he down played. He said if they were in the Superbowl and the game was tomorrow even against the Cowboys, he would not be playing.

Portis was just on the Michael Irvin Show. He's having a limited range in motion and some swelling which he down played. He said if they were in the Superbowl and the game was tomorrow even against the Cowboys, he would not be playing.

:wall: :wall: :wall: Guess it is between Benjarvis and Deuce for the start for me in one league.

:wall: :wall: :wall: Guess it is between Benjarvis and Deuce for the start for me in one league.

Dallas, you should be happy actually. CP was going to put up 150/2 TDs against your boys.

Dallas, you should be happy actually. CP was going to put up 150/2 TDs against your boys.

CP was going to do nothing and Dallas will win big.

Also, the local radio onsite sports reporters here chatting with trainers, coaches, etc. report that Portis was able to straighten his leg today for the first time this week. He's walking with a "very noticeable" limp...when he walks. Zorn might be saying Portis is 50/50 and a gametime decision but the local beat reporters who see him and talk to members from the organization don't think he will play Sunday. Some speculate (emphasis on speculate) that he could miss multiple weeks. Not that the local sports reporters are medical experts but they're at the park, they've seen stuff like this before and they're talking to other who have seen it before as well...

good night sweet prince........ :thumbsup:

at least portis/fitz got me to a 6/4 rec with bum draft pks like hass,maroney, colston...inj, plax susp, etc etc...

very weird yr.....

Clinton Portis sprains knee grade 2 in the first quarter and is still in the game with one min left when the game was meaningless.

could someone please tell me wtf is going on??????????? :ninja:

ps....after several cold beers i do recall portis being tackled on one of those meaningless passes he caught at the end of the game being a little ginger....homers chime in. I was a little durr.... :P

BINGO, this is exactly what I think.

Portis was playing and running fine all game against the Stillers. THEN, Zorn (fockhead) has his starters in on the last minute down by 3 scores. A useless Screen pass and Portis gets horse collared backwards for 4 yards along the sidelines by a 4th string LB trying to impress Tomlin, and his knee is twisted under his body. (I was playing the Portis owner, and 30 more yards I was gonna lose)

THAT'S WHEN IT HAPPENED.

Zorn is covering his A$$ in the media with this BS story about being hurt "Early in the game" so he doesn't look like a boob, BLOWING THE SEASON playing his starters in crap time. I wonder if upper management is "buying" this BS, or did Zorn get called into a meet with Snyder, kinda like when Homer gets called into Mr. Burn's office. :ninja:

Portis, Zorn Broadcast the Injury News

Dan Steinberg listened so you don't have to and learned the following about Clinton Portis' knee injury, which he described during his weekly appearance on John Thompson's radio show as a second-degree MCL sprain:

The good news? "I had 15 injuries two weeks ago," Portis said. "Now I've only got one."

The bad news? "Right now I can't straighten it out," he said of his left leg. "I just started bending it today. So hopefully by the end of the week. We've got five days, so hopefully I'll be ready."

Will he play Sunday? Steinberg's synopsis:

He said the pain increased on Thursday night and Friday, leading to another examination and the sprain diagnosis. He said he thought he could help the team even if he wasn't the main focal point of the offense merely by being on the field and forcing the Cowboys to account for him, but he also said he wouldn't put himself out there just for the sake of being out there.

The two-to-four week absence mentioned by some ESPN980 employees earlier in the day was never mentioned.

GREAT MAYBE HE IS ACTIVE BUT PULLS A MCGAHEE AND DOES NOT PLAY :doh: ive got betts as back up plan and if betts does not play than i can play felix jones. not great options but better than not having anyone at all :dunno:

There is like zero chance he plays Sunday. He will need to take 1-2 games off to heal. Betts however is a decent play.

Just heard a radio blurb that Washington in reality expects Portis to be out until week 14. Good news is ( If you got Betts ) He is showing alot of promise to get the majority of carries on Sunday.

NOT GOOD NEWS FOR OUR STUD!! :( i hope you are right about betts being able to play.

Zorn still not optimistic about Portis' knee

Portis

Redskins coach Jim Zorn admitted Thursday that Clinton Portis has continued to make very little progress in recovery from a sprained MCL.

"I was hoping today there would be a little more optimism, but there's not," Zorn said. Portis didn't practice Thursday and will probably be inactive for Sunday Night Football against Dallas. It remains to be seen if Ladell Betts (knee) or Shaun Alexander will start, but it's a situation to avoid. Nov. 13 - 1:54 pm et

From kffl.com

Redskins | Betts limited during practice Thursday

Thu, 13 Nov 2008 11:22:41 -0800

Ryan O'Halloran, of The Washington Times, reports Washington Redskins RB Ladell Betts (knee) was limited during practice Thursday, Nov. 13. He was feeling better Thursday, and he hopes to play in the team's Week 11 game.

I figure that Alexander is going to be useless even if he gets the start, so I might as well have Betts in case Portis is gone beyond this week. :doublethumbsup:

Betts could start now

Ladell Betts, RB WAS

News: Clinton Portis' sprained knee showed no improvement Thursday, and the Washington Redskins RB appears unlikely to play in Sunday night's game against the Dallas Cowboys. The NFL's second-leading rusher left Redskins Park during practice, wearing a gray hooded sweat shirt and burgundy sweat pants as he stepped into his Maserati. "I was hoping today that there would be a little more optimism, and there's not," coach Jim Zorn said. "He's still questionable. I would say there's no change today. I was looking for another jump, but there wasn't." Portis sprained his left knee in the 23-6 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers before last week's bye. With Portis ailing, Ladell Betts appears set to start Sunday. Betts has missed the last three games with a sprained knee, but he was on the field in steady rain for Thursday's practice. "Betts looked good," Zorn said. "He's got a brace on, but made some cuts. That was encouraging." Shaun Alexander would start if both Portis and Betts are unable to play.

Analysis: This is a new development if Betts could return to the field and start if Portis is out. Plan on adding Betts in all leagues at this time in case he does start. If you own Portis, picking up Betts is a must heading into Week 11.

if betts is practicing in the rain he must be GOOD TO GO!!!!!!!!! :pointstosky:

i hope this is the case or i am in big trouble. now they are saying felix jones not going to play. im tempted just to play ricky williams in spot normally filled by portis. but good news is i dont need a win in both my leagues.