Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

2009 NFL Draft Weekend Team Thread: Detroit Lions

Our Super Bowl :banana:

The only day of our year that is actually fun to watch. :doublethumbsup:

I see good thangs a comin' on saturday/sunday!

I look to pick up 3-5 impact players in this draft and, hopefully, begin the turnaround in motown!

jdon

I don't think they have a 5th rd draft pick. I think it was given up in the Peterson trade.

I don't think they have a 5th rd draft pick. I think it was given up in the Peterson trade.

correct. pretty sure they don't have anything in rounds 4-5 currently.

for the stafford haters: both jaws and gil brandt say the lions should draft stafford :D

correct. pretty sure they don't have anything in rounds 4-5 currently.

for the stafford haters: both jaws and gil brandt say the lions should draft stafford :pointstosky:

I don't see what all the hate about Stafford is. He has great pocket presence and a rocket for an arm (comparable to Flacco imo). He's big and strong and stands up straight in the pocket. Also, he's actually a somewhat intelligent guy. A 38 on the Wonderlic is much better than guys like Sanchez (28) and Freeman (27). Not that the Wonderlic always equates to success, but if there's any position where it's somewhat important, it's QB.

The only thing that worries me about him is completion %. He has a huge arm, but the touch is off sometimes.

I don't see what all the hate about Stafford is. He has great pocket presence and a rocket for an arm (comparable to Flacco imo). He's big and strong and stands up straight in the pocket. Also, he's actually a somewhat intelligent guy. A 38 on the Wonderlic is much better than guys like Sanchez (28) and Freeman (27). Not that the Wonderlic always equates to success, but if there's any position where it's somewhat important, it's QB.

The only thing that worries me about him is completion %. He has a huge arm, but the touch is off sometimes.

i think it boils down to two things for the stafford haters: 1) immediate help 2) the mis-perception the lions have ignored lineman and defense at the expense of sexy picks. #2 is false: there's a reason the lions are still in the market for a safety, for example--despite having spent 2 very recent 2nd-round picks on that position.

and #1? get over it, already: the lions are going to suck this year.

i think it boils down to two things for the stafford haters: 1) immediate help 2) the mis-perception the lions have ignored lineman and defense at the expense of sexy picks. #2 is false: there's a reason the lions are still in the market for a safety, for example--despite having spent 2 very recent 2nd-round picks on that position.

and #1? get over it, already: the lions are going to suck this year.

why do you insist on highjacking every lions discussion and saying the same ###### again and again and again? people like you make lions fans look dumber than we already are...

to go a step further: shouldn't the number one pick impact a team immediately? I tell you this no matter who they take at one, dude will be starting by mid season; Ford doesn't ahve the patience to sit on Stafford.

I really want the lions to take a LT because I think it helps us twofold: one we get a LT that isn't a turnstyle and two it moves Backus into Guard where I think he could shine. Thing is Backus isn't terrible, he is just mediocre facing excellence (As most LTs do), move him inside and he could shine.

why do you insist on highjacking every lions discussion and saying the same ###### again and again and again? people like you make lions fans look dumber than we already are...

to go a step further: shouldn't the number one pick impact a team immediately? I tell you this no matter who they take at one, dude will be starting by mid season; Ford doesn't ahve the patience to sit on Stafford.

in a perfect world, the #1 pick wouldn't cost the money he cost and, yes, could have an immediate impact. neither of those two things apply to a #1 qb in the current system, unfortunately. my point is that shouldn't deter the lions from picking him. why? because immediate help won't equate to anything meaningful in the standings this year. this is about the long term.

no hijack here. he asked a direct question about stafford, my reply was about the #1 pick--and it occurs in the detroit lions draft thread.

get over it.

I really want the lions to take a LT because I think it helps us twofold: one we get a LT that isn't a turnstyle and two it moves Backus into Guard where I think he could shine. Thing is Backus isn't terrible, he is just mediocre facing excellence (As most LTs do), move him inside and he could shine.

yes, the lions need a tackle. with the depth at the position in the draft, they should be able to get someone later than pick #1...but if they don't go stafford at #1 i'd much prefer smith or monroe instead of curry.

I think Colt McCoy and Sam Bradford are better than Matt Stafford. The Lions would be better off going LT and grabbing one of those two guys in next years draft.

Any other year I would be completely on board with a LT at 1, but not this year. Eugene Monroe is a fantastic run blocker, but a so so pass blocker. Jason Smith has a high ceiling, but is very raw. He reminds me way too much of Robert Gallery.

I am really not sure what else Stafford has to do to convince people that he is worthy of the selection. IMO Stafford and Sanchez are both better than any QB coming out next year. I know that I am in the minority here, but Bradford and McCoy both scream system QB's for me. Stafford has 3 years in the SEC (toughest conference in college) in a pro style offense that he got better in each year. Not to mention all the physical tools to play in the NFL and the ability to make every throw. Throw in his combine, tremendous private workouts and the wonderlic and I think the guy has more than earned the right to become the #1 pick. What people seem to forget is that him and Sanchez were both projected as high 1st rd picks before they even began their college careers. There is a reason why NFL scouts have been drooling over these guys for years.

Curry would be a great selection IMO, but only if we address the QB position at some point in this draft. Whether it is via trade, ie Derrek Anderson or Brady Quinn. Or if it's at 20 with Freeman. IMO waiting until next year to grab a QB will only set us back further and then it's even more significant if that QB doesn't pan out.

I think Colt McCoy and Sam Bradford are better than Matt Stafford. The Lions would be better off going LT and grabbing one of those two guys in next years draft.

mccoy wouldn't even be a round 1 pick if he came out this year and the debate between stafford and bradford was hot and heavy before bradford went back to school.

i fail to see how either of these qbs is clearly better than stafford (for one), and furthermore the guarantee the lions would get either next year anyway.

Aaron Curry believes Matthew Stafford will be the Lions' pick

Posted by Justin Rogers | MLive.com April 24, 2009 09:44AM

Categories: Draft

We've all seen the report that Aaron Curry has agreed to terms with the Detroit Lions.

It is also known the Lions are still actively pursuing a contract with Georgia quarterback. Matthew Stafford, and the ball is now Stafford's court to accept the Lions proposed contract.

If Stafford doesn't agree to terms sometime before the draft on Saturday, it is expected the Lions will take Curry with the first overall pick in the draft.

One person that doesn't think the situation will play out this way is Aaron Curry.

April 23, Fort Worth Star-Telegram: But Thursday, Curry sounded resigned to the fact that Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford likely is the Lions' choice. Detroit still was negotiating with Stafford's agent Thursday and reportedly has given Stafford a deadline of Friday.

"It's just the prestige of being the No. 1 overall pick," Curry said. "You can go to any athlete of any draft and ask them if they want to be the No. 1 pick, and they're going to say, 'Yeah,' and what would they do to get it? They'd do anything to be in Matthew's shoes right now." If he's not first, Curry doesn't care where he goes. Several mock drafts have him falling out of the top eight, because he is seen as a better fit for a 4-3 defense.

I just found an additional quote from Curry on the subject from FoxSport's Alex Marvez via Cotsonika's blog.

April 23, FoxSports: "In my heart, I think (the Lions) are going to get it done with Stafford," Curry said. "I know they have faith in both of us to become great players. They can't go wrong. They're really making their decision on a need basis. Quarterback for them is a more important need. I understand that."

Honest question: Does this guy every say the wrong thing?

Print This Page | Send To A Friend | Permalink (Learn More)

Share: Reddit | Digg | del.icio.us | Google | Yahoo | Facebook | What is this?

The more I think about the pick, the more I am hoping for a LT.

I was fine with Stafford. But form what I have been hearing that both Curry and Stafford could slip past to number ten if the Lions don't take them.

That is very concerning to me. Curry's stock has been falling and no other teams are talking about Stafford.

There will be a good LB at 20 and why waste the number 1 on a long shot like Stafford.

QB's are a gamble in the first round and Junior QB's are even more of a gamble.

There is no way you can take a LB at number one.

Maybe we could trade Sanchez to the skins for Campbell and some picks?

i think the lions feel very good about their position going into this draft, esp in view of last yr's stanza.

the prevailing theme in the nfl over the past yr is "if you're bad, yes, a turnaround can be done!" we see the examples in miami, atlanta, and baltimore. like atlanta, which selected a franchise qb at the top of the draft, then made a move to acquire the left tackle in the mid/late 1st rd, and then added a quality defensive contributor [lofton] in the 2nd rd, the lions have picks aligned to make a similar style design.

taking stafford at 1 still allows them to watch guys like andre smith, michael oher, and eben britton fall to them at 20, and have a great top-2nd-rd selection for a pressure-creator defensive player, which are deep in this draft.

even though jim schwartz is an ex-defensive coordinator, and would probably like to move down 2-3 spots and get extra picks with say, bj raji as his new albert haynesworth, i dont think the lions will pass up a face of franchise qb to pair with their former #2 overall player and cornerstone calvin johnson.

Stafford is the obvious pick; Lions were winless last year, no one player fixes the problem, but a franchise QB for the future gives you plausible deniability to not expect short-term success. Unless anyone remembers that Matt Ryan guy. :sleep:

I think its a HUGE mistake going QB #1...

I actually would draft Sanchez then trade him like SD did with Eli.

Honestly I expected to hear the Stafford deal announced by now. I thought I read that if a deal wasn't worked out with Stafford by Friday, then Curry would be the selection. At least it's keeping us in suspense.

ETA- Apparently Stafford is going to be the selection regardless if they get a deal done or not.

A source inside the Detroit Lions organization told NFL.com’s Thomas George that neither the team nor QB Matthew Stafford believe any differences in contract talks will stop the Georgia quarterback from becoming the No. 1 overall pick in Saturday’s draft.

Stafford has previously expressed his desire to play for the Lions, and he didn’t waver from that stance on Friday.

“We’ve had some good talks, some good visits and sessions, and I would feel very comfortable there and believe I could become a part of growing something special,” Stafford said. “I wouldn’t feel lost there at all.”

Also making his pitch to be the Lions’ No. 1 pick was Wake Forest LB Aaron Curry, who told NFL.com’s Pat Kirwan that he would take less money than 2008 No. 1 pick Jake Long did from the Miami Dolphins.

But Stafford appears to be the Lions’ first choice, and the sides have been trying to put the finishing touches on a deal all week.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/04/24/source-not...aking-stafford/

I think its a HUGE mistake going QB #1...

I actually would draft Sanchez then trade him like SD did with Eli.

The huge mistake is guaranteeing him 41million over 6 years.

honestly, what a joke. they ho through all this BS then give him 42mil? recockulous. I hate them so much.

apparently he's better than peyton manning who was guaranteed 33million

apparently he's better than peyton manning who was guaranteed 33million

whatever player they drafted was going to become the highest-paid______________(linebacker, tackle).

it's been focked up for years in the nfl in that regard.

whatever player they drafted was going to become the highest-paid______________(linebacker, tackle).

it's been focked up for years in the nfl in that regard.

at least the best OT in most drafts, even if overpaid, will guarantee you some success

Unless you're the Raiduhs. :wacko:

true :nono:

08 jake long: pro bowl reserve

07 joe thomas: pro bowl

06 dbrickashaw ferguson: solid, never missed a game

05 jammal brown: pro bowl

04 Robert Gallery :blink:

03 jordan gross: pro bowl

02 mike williams: meh

01 leonard davis: pro bowl

00 chris samuels: pro bowl

99 john tait: pro bowl

98 kyle turley: :shocking:

97 Orlando pace: pro bowl

96: Jon Ogden: pro bowl

95 tony boselli: pro bowl

true :wacko:

08 jake long: pro bowl reserve

07 joe thomas: pro bowl

06 dbrickashaw ferguson: solid, never missed a game

05 jammal brown: pro bowl

04 Robert Gallery :blink:

03 jordan gross: pro bowl

02 mike williams: meh

01 leonard davis: pro bowl

00 chris samuels: pro bowl

99 john tait: pro bowl

98 kyle turley: :shocking:

97 Orlando pace: pro bowl

96: Jon Ogden: pro bowl

95 tony boselli: pro bowl

Tait never went to the Pro Bowl, but going back even further:

94: Bernard Williams: Played 1 year, then was banned for failing 15 drug tests

93: Willie Roaf: pro bowl

92: Bob Whitfield: pro bowl

91: Charles McRae: bust

90: Richmond Webb: Pro Bowl

89: Tony Mandarich: mega bust

In 20 years, you've got 12 pro bowlers, 5 busts, 2 solid players, and 1 guy that didn't suck but never lived up to his billing (Turley).

Taking the best OT in a draft is about as safe as you can get in the NFL.

at least the best OT in most drafts, even if overpaid, will guarantee you some success

for me, it was never about immediate success this upcoming year. i've written this year off. fans should too. this is a pick you make for the next decade, not 2009. rightly or wrongly, the lions had stafford pegged on their board as the overall best player in the draft, hands down. at least they went out and got their man instead of settling for a player they didn't really want because that player took less money.

i guess i'm flabbergasted by the lion fans biatching about how this pick isn't any immediate help this year. the lions have sucked forever: what's one more focking year--especially given the trade-off might be fixing the most important position on the team for the FIRST TIME IN HALF A CENTURY!

the lions have had some good tackles in my life time (lomas brown)...and a gaggle of good linebackers. they've never had a good qb.

jesus christ, wake up people.

Well it's done and they had better pray he's gonna be the one!

Now fix the offensive line, defense and let the kid sit and learn. DO NOT throw him out there anytime soon or it will Joey harrington all over. :thumbsup:

It is a lot of money, but I can't figure out why some people are surprised. We all knew that it was going to be around 40 million guaranteed. Unfortunately that is what the #1 pick has become. Even if they would have taken Curry he would have become the highest paid LB by far. I'd like to see the details of the incentives, hopefully that will end up saving them money against the cap, but I guess we will see.

I like the signing after all is said in done. You need a quarterback to win and if they think stafford can perform, sounds good to me. Stafford has a decent back behind him, an all-world wide reciever, and if we pick up a left tackle at 20 what should be a solid line... it could work.

In the end I don't think Curry would have been worth the money either and Curry certainly couldn't have the positive effect that Stafford could have; Imagine if Stafford is good, the world might shift in downtown detroit.

I was never sold on either of the offensive lineman, its a shame Andre Smith is insane or that would have been a slamdunk...

I am anxiously awaiting 7pm, around the time we pick this evening...

Dumb pick by Detroit... then again, what do you expect? They need a line... desparately. They should have drafted linemen at pick 1 and pick 20. They can live for a year two with Duante while they build this team up properly... instead, they increase their risk of taking the next Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf, etc... Franchise QBs drafted by teams with no offensive lines are recipies for a big bust. The guys never have the time to properly develop themselves as passers.... and they get hurt easily too. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. Then again, as a Vikings fan... :unsure:

Dumb pick by Detroit... then again, what do you expect? They need a line... desparately. They should have drafted linemen at pick 1 and pick 20. They can live for a year two with Duante while they build this team up properly... instead, they increase their risk of taking the next Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf, etc... Franchise QBs drafted by teams with no offensive lines are recipies for a big bust. The guys never have the time to properly develop themselves as passers.... and they get hurt easily too. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. Then again, as a Vikings fan... :pointstosky:

have fun slobbing the knob of t-jack and rosenblah. but that's a nice line you've got for those clowns! lol...