Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

Look-Alike Players: Chris Johnson vs. Steve Slaton

Look-Alike Players: Chris Johnson vs. Steve Slaton  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Redraft: Johnson or Slaton?

• Chris Johnson
    • Steve Slaton

Look-Alike Players seeks to try to distinguish between two players whose redraft values appear to be almost identical. Today, the choice is Chris Johnson vs. Steve Slaton.

Feel free to vote and then add thoughts on why you voted for who you did throughout the thread. This is an old FFToday feature that will be continued this spring/summer as dictated by the interest it garners.

Results so far in '09:

Braylon Edwards over Chad Johnson, 17-10.

Tom Brady over Peyton Manning, 14-6.

I went with Slaton. I really expect the Titans to take a step backwards this year. Even ignoring the loss of Haynesworth, I can't imagine them being as dominant offensively as they were last year. Teams have had another year to study them, and you just don't see that kind of dominance year after year. Plus, I don't think Collins is very good, and they haven't done anything to upgrade the receiving core.

I think the Titans have fewer 4th quarter leads to sit on this year, which means fewer 4th quarter where they just run the ball for 15 minutes. It's just an opinion, but that's my gut feel.

Houston didn't bring in a goal-line back, so Slaton's only real competition is Brown, who should be hurt any minute now. They had one of the better offences last year, and a healthy Schaub (however unlikely) will help them keep up the pace. I like Slaton's chances of repeating or improving on last year's numbers better than CJ's.

I'll take Slaton. He outperformed CJ last year both rushing and receiving, has a better quarterback, and is a much better candidate for getting over 20 carries a game (happened in 5 of the last 6 games in 2008, as the Texans began to lean on him more and more). These guys both have the potential to make huge gamebreaking runs, so I'll pick the guy who looks like he'll get about 10-15% more opportunities to make those big plays. I see Slaton taking on an increased role with a slight boost in production, and CJ staying about the same or taking a slight dip since I think the Titans have perhaps regressed in the offseason. I'd still be thrilled to get CJ late first or early second, but I wouldn't take him before Slaton.

I think Johnson is more explosive, but Slaton is in the better offense and will likely have fewer TDs vultured than Johnson will. I guess I'll go Slaton.

Its no secret im not big on Slaton until he can prove he can hold up for another year.

I went with Johnson because I think he is in the better situation as far as that is concerned. Lendale is the perfect back to help keep him fresh.

It takes away from his scores somewhat, but an explosive player like CJ is one of those guys who is more valuable if he is healthy and fresh. Making him also be the go to guy inside the 5 and in short yardage situations might not be a good idea for the long haul.

TheHuddle) HoustonTexans.com reports Houston Texans RB Steve Slaton said he has added about nine pounds of muscle since the end of last season to try to help him be more productive in short-yardage situations. Analysis: Slaton was a force for the Texans ground game last season and if this is any indication then he is poised for an even bigger role this year. Fantasy owners should look for more of a focus on the ground game and with Slaton bulking up he should have more of an impact on posting more consistent numbers for fantasy owners. He should be considered a solid No. 2 running back coming into the season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JFqO4mYjSc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPPCysr2TfI

ON THE OTHER HAND

(Rotoworld) Titans coached reiterated an intent to get Chris Johnson more carries and catches, with an emphasis on finding creative ways to get him the ball in open spaces. Analysis: "The playoff game was an indication of where he could go," said running backs coach Earnest Byner. "(The Ravens) could hardly touch him." Coordinator Mike Heimerdinger said he held back on the throttle last season because he thought he was "stretching" the rookie too much, but he'll be moved around all over the place this season. Johnson should also benefit from the addition of receivers Nate Washington and Kenny Brit..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am7JQ5P0Es8

WOW - great news for both.

We just had a draft. I kep Chris Johnson and took Slaton as my #2 :pointstosky:

I'm taking 4.24 though for the official vote - that's beyond fast

and they haven't done anything to upgrade the receiving core.

Signed Nate Washington from Pitt

Took a rookie WR in the first round in Kenny Britt & and this is from the Titans Report.l..

This is a player whose number the Titans plan on calling. A lot. He has already been described by Tennessee coach Jeff Fisher as "the player who has been missing in our passing game

Consider that the Titans have only used a first-round pick on a receiver three times in franchise history. Consider that the last one was Kevin Dyson in 1998. Dyson would figure in two of the most significant plays in franchise history: He scored on the Music City Miracle lateral in that 2000 playoff victory over Buffalo, then soon afterward fell inches shy of scoring on a potential game-tying pass on the last play in Tennessee's Super Bowl XXXIV loss to St. Louis.

Britt seems capable of making that kind of impact.

He seems destined to be a player that makes things happen for the Titans offense.

Maybe it is the size (6-foot-3, 218 pounds). Or the background (14 100-yard receiving games at Rutgers with what NFL scouts call so-so quarterbacks). Or his noticeable physical, competitive nature at the position.

An NFL personnel executive from an AFC team said about Britt: "You are talking about a lot of ability there, a lot of size, he runs well, quick off the ball, good upside. Physically impressive. We didn't think his hands were so great."

Took a stud rookie TE in Jared Cook - - TITANS REPORT

South Carolina tight end Jared Cook. Fisher said the Titans considered drafting him in the second round. They called once New England went on the clock with the 89th pick overall.

"These kind of guys don't come along very often with the skills that Jared has," Fisher said.

Cook had the strongest physical performance of any tight end at the NFL Combine, running a 4.49-second 40-yard dash and turning in a 41-inch vertical jump and tops in the broad jump. All-Southeastern Conference first-team in 2008, he had 37 catches for 473 yards and three touchdowns. He started 15 of 36 games and started his career as a wide receiver.

This move could pressure Scaife, the tight end who led the Titans in receptions with 58 in 2008. The Titans slapped the franchise tag on Scaife, but he has yet to sign the one-year tender of $4.46 million. Veteran Alge Crumpler, who lost the ball when hit by two Ravens linebackers in Tennessee's divisional playoff loss to Baltimore, is in the final year of his contract.

Scout Cole Proctor said he didn't know why South Carolina didn't leave the 6-5, 246-pound Cook at receiver and called him probably faster than all of the Titans' receivers except maybe Washington.

"He is going to create tremendous mismatches out there in the slot and you can move him around," Proctor said.

I think your comment is way way wrong Belushi :pointstosky:

Slaton, he finished last year strong with 5 strait 100 yard games and had 9 rushing tds. He is on an explosive offence and doesn't and Lendwhale to compete against. I like CJ, but I give the edge to Slaton. He has also added 9 pounds of muscle in the off season. And as a rooke he averaged 4.7 yards a carry, or close to it.

Really? Nate Washington was the #3 Wr on Pittsburgh. He can run straight really fast, but does anyone think he's a #1 WR? Justin Gage is still their best WR. Washington is an upgrade I guess, but not much.

Britt is a rookie WR, and he's not exactly a slam-dunk talent. I doubt he sees much time on the field this season, but if he does it will be as the #3 WR, and they don't often go 3-wide.

Cook is the #3 TE behind Scaife and Crumpler, and he can't block so he won't be on the field much. You're calling that an upgrade?

So, a fast guy who's never been more than a #3, a rookie WR, and a rookie #3 TE. Wow, watch out Arizona, there's a new high-flying passing attack in town! I stand by my original post.

Chris Johnson all day long.... kids an animal, who's only going to take another step forward in 2009...

Really? Nate Washington was the #3 Wr on Pittsburgh. He can run straight really fast, but does anyone think he's a #1 WR? Justin Gage is still their best WR. Washington is an upgrade I guess, but not much.

Britt is a rookie WR, and he's not exactly a slam-dunk talent. I doubt he sees much time on the field this season, but if he does it will be as the #3 WR, and they don't often go 3-wide.

Cook is the #3 TE behind Scaife and Crumpler, and he can't block so he won't be on the field much. You're calling that an upgrade?

So, a fast guy who's never been more than a #3, a rookie WR, and a rookie #3 TE. Wow, watch out Arizona, there's a new high-flying passing attack in town! I stand by my original post.

did you just say Britt wont see much time on the field this season? :overhead:

did you just say Britt wont see much time on the field this season? :overhead:

From Rotoworld:

First-round pick Kenny Britt is missing time at OTAs with a hamstring strain.

The severity is unknown, but Britt is probably day-to-day. Meanwhile, Justin Gage is lighting up the workouts. Britt only looks like a third receiver at this point, and still has to hold off Chris Davis and Lavelle Hawkins.

How much time is the potential #3 WR on the Titans going to see on the field? Are you expecting them to change to a spread attack?

Slaton continues to rise in several fantasy rankings. I can see the justification.

From Rotoworld:

First-round pick Kenny Britt is missing time at OTAs with a hamstring strain.

The severity is unknown, but Britt is probably day-to-day. Meanwhile, Justin Gage is lighting up the workouts. Britt only looks like a third receiver at this point, and still has to hold off Chris Davis and Lavelle Hawkins.

How much time is the potential #3 WR on the Titans going to see on the field? Are you expecting them to change to a spread attack?

nope, i just don't take every little media snippet as set in stone fact.

If Justin Gage was so amazing, the Titans might not have gone out of their way to draft Britt in round 1. Number 2 is who? nate washington who you yourself already stated correctly what he is...

their second leading receiver last year was Bo Scaife. They don't need to go to a spread offense to get a first round rookie WR involved in the passing attack.

I just don't believe that Kenny Britt, in this situation with this team specifically, won't see a decent amount of playing time this year barring injury.

You're the one that said they hadn't done ANYTHING. I'm pointing out that they have.

You're the one that said they hadn't done ANYTHING. I'm pointing out that they have.

Yes, every single team in the NFL has upgraded over the offseason. The Titans opponents have upgraded on defence too. Was there any meaningful upgrade by the Titans at receiver? No.

I really don't see what you're trying to argue about. Are you saying that teams will fear the Titans new passing attack with these additions, and that will open things up for CJ? The Titans also lost Brandon Jones in the offseason. Is the passing attack really any better than last year?

Yes, every single team in the NFL has upgraded over the offseason. The Titans opponents have upgraded on defence too. Was there any meaningful upgrade by the Titans at receiver? No.

I really don't see what you're trying to argue about. Are you saying that teams will fear the Titans new passing attack with these additions, and that will open things up for CJ? The Titans also lost Brandon Jones in the offseason. Is the passing attack really any better than last year?

They were ranked 31st in the league in passing last year with 2907 yards and 13 touchdowns. Do I think their numbers will be better in 2009? YES is my answer that they will be better than last year. You want to make a little sig wager? :thumbsup:

They were ranked 31st in the league in passing last year with 2907 yards and 13 touchdowns. Do I think their numbers will be better in 2009? YES is my answer that they will be better than last year. You want to make a little sig wager? :pointstosky:

That would be a dumb wager, since I said earlier that I think their defence won't be as dominant as last year which will force them to throw more rather than just running out the clock in the 4th quarter.

The question on the table was whether their receiving core has been upgraded. Still waiting for some proof of that. So far I see losing Brandon Jones and getting Nate Washington, a rookie WR and a #3 TE as the only changes.

That would be a dumb wager, since I said earlier that I think their defence won't be as dominant as last year which will force them to throw more rather than just running out the clock in the 4th quarter.

The question on the table was whether their receiving core has been upgraded. Still waiting for some proof of that. So far I see losing Brandon Jones and getting Nate Washington, a rookie WR and a #3 TE as the only changes.

BRITT

Well once again I'll take from coach Fisher's mouth then...

This is a player whose number the Titans plan on calling. A lot. He has already been described by Tennessee coach Jeff Fisher as "the player who has been missing in our passing game

Then I'll take it from the pro scouts...

Maybe it is the size (6-foot-3, 218 pounds). Or the background (14 100-yard receiving games at Rutgers with what NFL scouts call so-so quarterbacks). Or his noticeable physical, competitive nature at the position.

An NFL personnel executive from an AFC team said about Britt: "You are talking about a lot of ability there, a lot of size, he runs well, quick off the ball, good upside. Physically impressive. We didn't think his hands were so great."

TE JARED COOK

Then I'll take the word of coach Fisher AGAIN.

"These kind of guys don't come along very often with the skills that Jared has," Fisher said

Combine Notes

Cook had the strongest physical performance of any tight end at the NFL Combine, running a 4.49-second 40-yard dash and turning in a 41-inch vertical jump and tops in the broad jump.

Scout Cole Proctor said he didn't know why South Carolina didn't leave the 6-5, 246-pound Cook at receiver and called him probably faster than all of the Titans' receivers except maybe Washington.

"He is going to create tremendous mismatches out there in the slot and you can move him around," Proctor said.

So apparently we are going round and round. I'm trusting coach Fisher and the scouts opinions on this one. Perhaps they see something in Britt and Cook that you don't. Perhaps they are professionals in this sport with a little more knowledge, and we are ffparticipants with gut feelings. Washington will now stretch the field moreso than any other WR that was on the team. Your gut says this team has done nothing - My gut says they have.

This thread has officially been hijacked.....

BRITT

Well once again I'll take from coach Fisher's mouth then...

Then I'll take it from the pro scouts...

TE JARED COOK

Then I'll take the word of coach Fisher AGAIN.

"These kind of guys don't come along very often with the skills that Jared has," Fisher said

Combine Notes

Cook had the strongest physical performance of any tight end at the NFL Combine, running a 4.49-second 40-yard dash and turning in a 41-inch vertical jump and tops in the broad jump.

So apparently we are going round and round. I'm trusting coach Fisher and the scouts opinions on this one. Perhaps they see something in Britt and Cook that you don't. Perhaps they are professionals in this sport with a little more knowledge, and we are ffparticipants with gut feelings. Washington will now stretch the field moreso than any other WR that was on the team. Your gut says this team has done nothing - My gut says they have.

Wow, a coach raving about guys his team drafted! That's an amazing find!

Watch out NFL, there's a new arial assault in town, led by Kenny Britt and Jared Cook. I guess Jerry Rice should be worried about some of those receiving records now!

I'd like to be wrong, since I'm probably making Slaton one of my keepers, but I feel like we kind of saw his ceiling last year, whereas CJ has somewhat more room for improvement (though we may not see it this season). Just my feeling.

I have Slaton at ~80ypg, with 9 total TDs

I have CJ at ~70ypg with 12 total TDs

Slaton is the unchallenged starter in a high-powered offense, meaning more consistent production.

CJ is the more explosive back and 'home run hitter' with more 'upside,' as I see it.

So which of those guys you favor will change depending on how you draft - what you're looking for in a player - but I give the slight nod to Slaton.

CJ will be more involved in the passing game this season, so that will help, especially in a PPR.

And yes, I think the Titans passing game will be better this year than last. I think by seasons end, Britt will be the #2, and he'd just built for "go up and get it" routes. Cook is fast, and on passing downs, will create mismatches.

I think the Titans O will be much improved.

I originally voted CJ but seeing that Slaton put on 9 pounds of muscle, I'd say it is a push. Size was my biggest concern with Slaton as a feature back long term. We'll see if his frame can be effective with that extra weight tho. :D

Wow, a coach raving about guys his team drafted! That's an amazing find!

Watch out NFL, there's a new arial assault in town, led by Kenny Britt and Jared Cook. I guess Jerry Rice should be worried about some of those receiving records now!

yes, because anyone has said the titans passing attack will be an arial assault on par with Indy or New Orleans... :nono:

also Alge Crumpler was awful last year. Cook could very well be the 2nd TE to start the season. And since Bo Scaife isn;t all that great, If Cook learns quickly, then we are talking about the starting TE here.

... but please don't act like people are claiming things they clearly are not.

I originally voted CJ but seeing that Slaton put on 9 pounds of muscle, I'd say it is a push. Size was my biggest concern with Slaton as a feature back long term. We'll see if his frame can be effective with that extra weight tho. :nono:

i agree, that was my biggest concern regarding Slaton. I like that he has bulked up.

yes, because anyone has said the titans passing attack will be an arial assault on par with Indy or New Orleans... :nono:

also Alge Crumpler was awful last year. Cook could very well be the 2nd TE to start the season. And since Bo Scaife isn;t all that great, If Cook learns quickly, then we are talking about the starting TE here.

... but please don't act like people are claiming things they clearly are not.

For the millionth time, I said they didn't do anything to upgrade their passing attack this offseason. I still haven't heard anything to change my mind. All I get is offseason coach-speak about how they've got these great offensive talents. That's hardly persuading evidence.

Lose Jones, add Washington and Britt. Upgrade? Questionable.

Scaife or Cook? I don't see Cook being that much better than Scaife, who was decent last year. Again, where's the upgrade?

For the millionth time, I said they didn't do anything to upgrade their passing attack this offseason. I still haven't heard anything to change my mind. All I get is offseason coach-speak about how they've got these great offensive talents. That's hardly persuading evidence.

Lose Jones, add Washington and Britt. Upgrade? Questionable.

Scaife or Cook? I don't see Cook being that much better than Scaife, who was decent last year. Again, where's the upgrade?

I agree with Belushi here. I see nothing on paper that indicates that the Titans passing game will improve considerably this year, let alone help Chris Johnson's stats. Some other posters tried to make the point that the Titans passing game will improve, but I'm not convinced in the least. We'll just have to see how they fare this season.

I'd go with Slaton in PPR, push in Yardage/TD league.

I think everyone is overlooking one major factor in the Titans passing attack....UHHHHH Kerry Collins is the QB. He was "solid" last year as a GAME MANAGER. But in order for their offense to be much improved, he'd all of a sudden need to put up top10 QB numbers, which is just not going to happen. I think Chris Johnson is a great NFL RB, and a very solid #1 FF RB, but I think Collins is nothing more than a "don't lose the game for us" type QB, and Lendale White reached his absolute potential last year, and like every1 has been debating...not MUCH has been done to improve their WR corps...I just don't see how anyone could accurately predict an upgrade for this offense :banana:

I was the first person on this site to seriously talk up Chris Johnson last summer. He was great value and helped me win a :unsure:

But Im going the other way with this one. Slayton was actually more explosive than CJ4.24 last year when it came to breaking big runs. He also doesnt have to contend with a TD vulture like Lenwhale and is in a better offense.

I like both but have Slayton a few spots ahead of CJ right now. I still think the Titans need to do a much better job of involving CJ in the passing game this year and maybe they will. But right now Slayton has more value there too.

I'd like to be wrong, since I'm probably making Slaton one of my keepers, but I feel like we kind of saw his ceiling last year, whereas CJ has somewhat more room for improvement (though we may not see it this season). Just my feeling.

I have Slaton at ~80ypg, with 9 total TDs

I have CJ at ~70ypg with 12 total TDs

Slaton is the unchallenged starter in a high-powered offense, meaning more consistent production.

CJ is the more explosive back and 'home run hitter' with more 'upside,' as I see it.

So which of those guys you favor will change depending on how you draft - what you're looking for in a player - but I give the slight nod to Slaton.

Well, I dont know that I would call the Houston Offense a High powered offense.

I agree that Slaton is a safer pick as there is not really anyone to steal carries from him in Houston.

CJ may have better long term potential, but will share some carries.

basically, if I was a fantasy team in 'rebuilding Mode' and had to rebuild from the bottom up, I may be inclined to go with CJ rather than Slaton. but if my team already had a solid #1 RB and a decent QB and was considered to be a contender, Slaton is the guy I would choose to plug the hole for this year.

Kerry Collins is not getting his due on this board. Remember this is the QB who led the expansion panthers to the NFC championship game, led a mediocre giants team to the superbowl, and had it not been for white and crumpler fumbling away the game he would have led his third different team to a conference championship.

Kerry Collins is not a game manager. He is a quarterback whose strength is throwing the ball down the field. The Titans got him receivers with the speed to get deep. I would say that the titans passing game will be much improved and that should open the running lanes up for Chris Johnson. With fewer rushing attempts to go around and the coaching staff wanting to get more touches for CJ, i would say that the big loser in this situation is Lendale White.

CJ over Slaton.