Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

2009 No-Hassle June Mock Analysis

As usual, this draft analysis comes with some "preview" aspects since we do use this draft as a springboard for the No-Hassle league this fall. As such, all analysis attempts to look at the big picture more than the individual picks, but those will also be noted at times during the analysis. So, without further adieu, here's one person (me)'s take on this year's June Mock. Thanks to everyone for being a part of things again this year and a special welcome to White Wonder and KSB. Hope you guys will continue to be a part of this for years to come if that is what you wish to do.

Vikings4Ever

1.01- RB Adrian Peterson, Min.

2.12- RB Marion Barber, Dal.

3.01- WR Roddy White, Atl.

4.12- QB Philip Rivers, SD

5.01- RB Reggie Bush, NO

6.12- WR Eddie Royal, Den.

7.01- WR Bernard Berrian, Min.

8.12- TE Chris Cooley, Wash.

9.01- WR Laveranues Coles, Cin.

10.12- RB Tim Hightower, Ari.

11.01- QB Trent Edwards, Buf.

12.12- WR Chris Henry, Cin.

13.01- TE Zach Miller, Oak.

14.12- D/ST, Minnesota Vikings

15.01- K Robbie Gould, Chi.

Analysis: Picking out of the #1 spot usually yields solid results, but I think this draft and this team may have exceeded just being "solid" when all was said and done. First of all V4E landed the best overall player in the draft and then followed that up with an absolutely ideal #2 RB in Marion Barber. I love Rivers, Royal, and Berrian and I also love where V4E got them. In short, this team is well-rounded and there's none better coming out of this draft based upon the first eight rounds. But, I do have to admit that Vikes kind of lost me after that. Some of the "depth" picks were not guys I am particularly fond of. I think Coles and Hightower could be non-factors this year, fantasy-wise and Edwards is a somewhat risky guy to have as your only backup QB if something were to happen to Rivers. The strength of this team, though, lies with a devastating 1-2 punch at RB and a QB that is primed for a run at an MVP season. In the end, that makes everything else seem a bit trivial.

Key to No-Hassle success: I think it's probably Marion Barber. I think Peterson, Rivers, and Roddy White will all meet expectations, but Barber's role in Dallas is a bit of a mystery at present. I don't care much for Reggie Bush in a non-PPR format, so the drop-off to another RB in terms of weekly production is fairly steep if Barber's role becomes diminished.

Favorite pick: Bernard Berrian. I absolutely think Vikes stole him and I absolutely think he's going to have a terrific season.

Least Favorite pick: Reggie Bush. Not much of a factor in this format.

Overall outlook: This is a title-contending team. Vikes is our defending champion and he's done a fine job putting together a team with the horsepower to get it done again. My only concern, again, has to do with suspect depth, so remaining relatively healthy should be all this team needs to make a serious push for Vike's third-ever NHL title.

White Wonder

1.02- RB Maurice Jones-Drew, Jax.

2.11- WR Greg Jennings, GB

3.02- WR Marques Colston, NO

4.11- WR Vincent Jackson, SD

5.02- RB Larry Johnson, KC

6.11- RB Lendale White, Ten.

7.02- RB Donald Brown, Ind.

8.11- WR Steve Breaston, Ari.

9.02- TE John Carlson, Sea.

10.11- QB Kyle Orton, Den.

11.02- QB Jake Delhomme, Car.

12.11- RB Leon Washington, NYJ

13.02- WR Brian Robiskie, Cle.

14.11- K Ryan Longwell, Min.

15.02- D/ST, New York Jets

Analysis: By grabbing 3 WRs in the first 4 rounds, WhiteWonder put everyone on notice that his team was going to be built on the strength of a super-strong receiving corps. It would be hard to argue that this isn't one of the top receiving teams. The question becomes: Did this effort leave his team vulnerable in other areas? Yeah, I think it probably did. The QB combo of Orton and Delhomme isn't scaring anyone and will put him behind the 8-ball initially each week when point totals are figured up. Plus, none of his running backs sans his first pick has much upside. The good news, though, with respect to that is I think he's got a good stable of running backs for a best-ball format. Johnson, White, Brown, and Washington will likely all take turns having solid weeks, which will provide a positive supplement to the other areas of strength that exist on the team. I see this team as being "average" when compared to the other teams drafted, but certainly a team that has definite strengths and decent potential. Good first effort for this draft.

Key to No-Hassle success: Hate to state the obvious, but Orton and Delhomme have to be serviceable at the very least. If either can produce a top-ten season in terms of fantasy production, the other pieces are in place to make this team pretty good.

Favorite pick: Sounds dumb, but Leon Washington. I thought he was a very smart late addition and made me feel better about the depth at RB backing up Jones-Drew.

Least Favorite pick: Donald Brown. Thought he went a bit early, but no big deal, really.

Overall outlook: As was stated above, I think this team is a solid, but not spectacular group coming out of the gates. The starting WR trio is excellent and Jones-Drew should have a very impressive year by anyone's standards. Still, there are holes in the best-ball potential for this team and as such, I'm not comfortable saying this team is one of the favorites. A solid dark horse, maybe.

Gratefulted

1.03- RB Michael Turner, Atl.

2.10- RB Ronnie Brown, Mia.

3.03- WR Anquan Boldin, Ari.

4.10- QB Aaron Rodgers, GB

5.03- WR DeSean Jackson, Phi.

6.10- RB Jamal Lewis, Cle.

7.03- WR Lee Evans, Buf.

8.10- TE Kellen Winslow, Jr., TB

9.03- WR Ted Ginn, Jr., Mia.

10.10- RB Jerious Norwood, Atl.

11.03- QB Marc Bulger, Stl.

12.10- RB Ricky Williams, Mia.

13.03- WR Deion Branch, Sea.

14.10- D/ST, San Diego Chargers

15.03- K Matt Prater, Den.

Analysis: I gotta be honest. I don't think ted's ever had a team that looked this good after the June Mock. This was a strong effort in any format, but I think this team is going to be especially good in the No-Hassle way of doing things. First of all, the team looks similar to V4E's team in that there is a stud back, nearly ideal #2 RB, and a top-five QB (Rodgers) in the mix. Add to that a stable of wideouts that I am personally high on (all of them were targets sans Evans) and you've got a talented bunch. Still, some concerns emerge. Marc Bulger? That's a risky guy to have to fall back on if something happens to Rodgers. Also, I am not a big Winslow guy, but I do have to admit that he was a good value at the end of the eighth round. Overall, I just think ted really stepped it up this year and I would not be surprised to see his team really make some noise from September on (see below).

Key to No-Hassle success: I am going to go with Anquan Boldin. A WR picked that high has to be a stud and Boldin certainly has that potential. He also has the potential to be distracted and disgruntled. I think this team comes together and becomes dangerous if Boldin merely lives up to his draft status.

Favorite pick: Michael Turner. In a non-PPR format, he's going to flat-out get it done. Ted did the right thing here resisting a more "trendy" pick and went with the workhorse instead. Solid choice. I loved the DeSean Jackson pick as well.

Least Favorite pick: Marc Bulger. There were better QBs available at that pick. Deion Branch may not help you much, either.

Overall outlook: Like I mentioned above, I would be proud and excited to open the season with this team in the No-Hassle format. The depth at both the RB and WR positions is terrific. This team reminds me so much of V4E's team. I like V4E's starters a bit better, but ted's depth is better, I think. Ted has a major contender for an NHL title on his hands.

JScott

1.04- RB Matt Forte, Chi.

2.09- WR Steve Smith, Car.

3.04- QB Peyton Manning, Ind.

4.09- WR Braylon Edwards, Cle.

5.04- RB Marshawn Lynch, Buf.

6.09- RB Cedric Benson, Cin.

7.04- WR Donnie Avery, Stl.

8.09- QB Matt Ryan, Atl.

9.04- RB Fred Jackson, Buf.

10.09- TE Dustin Keller, NYJ

11.04- TE Vernon Davis, SF

12.09- K Stephen Gostkowski, NEP

13.04- WR Kevin Curtis, Phi.

14.09- D/ST, Green Bay Packers

15.04- WR Mark Clayton, Bal.

Analysis: Wow...another very good team at the top of this draft. In the No-Hassle format, JScott definitely has covered his bases at QB, RB, and TE. Just a thorough job collecting the kind of roster that can produce week in and week out there. The Lynch pick in particular ended up being brilliant given the fact that JScott got Jackson later and grabbed Benson in the sixth. If Jackson and Benson can just hold down the fort until Lynch gets back on the field, this team could really take off around Week Four. If you look at the likely production with Marshawn in the lineup, it makes this team look very formidable. I really don't see many weaknesses with this team. Sure, there are some guys who need to step up (see below) in order for this team to become one of the favorites, but that possibility is at least a 50/50 proposition if not much greater. When examined as a whole, this team really shines from my perspective. It was constructed with the finished product in mind.

Key to No-Hassle success: Edwards and Benson. I think everyone else is safe and solid, but these two guys have question marks. Both also have upside, and if Edwards can return to being a top 10 WR and Benson becomes a top-20 RB, this team probably shoots to the top of the heap for me. Watch those two all year long as the team's barometer.

Favorite pick: Lynch. Too many guys shyed away from him for too long, ignoring the bigger picture. JScott is likely to get top fifteen numbers 14 weeks this year from a guy that lasted until the fifth round.

Least Favorite pick: I don't really have one, but if my feet were held to the fire, I'd say Braylon Edwards. The Browns are in a state of serious transition and I'm not sure he's going to respond well to that.

Overall outlook: I hate to make it sound like I just like every team, but so far....so good. JScott's team really has all the bases covered and I think it's actually a team with far fewer question marks than the three that preceded it. JScott has become an experience June Mocker and his overall judgment when comprising a team is something to be admired. Again, this team is a big-time contender.

KSB2424

1.05- RB Steven Jackson, Stl.

2.08- QB Drew Brees, NO

3.05- WR Dwayne Bowe, KC

4.08- WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Sea.

5.05- RB Joseph Addai, Ind.

6.08- RB Willie Parker, Pit.

7.05- WR Jerricho Cotchery, NYJ

8.08- RB Felix Jones, Dal.

9.05- TE Owen Daniels, Hou.

10.08- WR Plaxico Burress, FA

11.05- RB LeSean McCoy, Phi.

12.08- TE Tony Scheffler, Den.

13.05- QB Jason Campbell, Wash.

14.08- D/ST, Philadelphia Eagles

15.05- K Nick Folk, Dal.

Analysis: Solid first effort here by KSB. I thought some of his mid-round picks were a bit conservative for my taste, but when you get heavy hitters like Jackson and Brees right off the bat, that may be the proper path to take to be sure. If Brees can repeat his '08 performance, KSB will out-distance everyone else from the QB spot. But, beyond that, there are at least some concerns. I already mentioned the conservative low-upside picks (Addai, Parker), but they could pan out if only Steven Jackson can stay healthy. Jackson has so much personal potential, but his success often gets swallowed up by injuries or a poor supporting cast. This team can ill afford him to be mediocre. That's because of the lack of upside behind him, but it's also because this team at the moment has only three WRs on an actual NFL team. KSB's selection of Plaxico Burress given that he didn't use a flex pick on a WR leaves that position terriby thin. So, this team could be really good...but the trip from success to struggle may not be much of a journey. Brees and Jackson probably need to carry this team. I think Bowe was a solid pick whose overall numbers will look good, but will also be inconsistent from week to week....so, it's up to the studs to do their thing.

Key to No-Hassle success: Pretty simple, I think. Steven Jackson needs to have a career year...or at least close to it. There are several high scoring pieces (Brees, Bowe) in place as well as steady vets (Addai, Parker, Houshmandzadeh, Daniels) who will complement a big season from Jackson quite nicely. But, it's not a surrounding cast that can thrive with a disappearing act from SJ

Favorite pick: Drew Brees. Great spot to get him and the ability to land Bowe in the third gave you a solid set of "triplets". Solid first three rounds and a good strategy.

Least Favorite pick: Probably Willie Parker...that backfield is pretty messy and has a full-blown committee situation on deck. I would say Burress from a No-Hassle standpoint, but can understand that pick when treating this as a regular draft.

Overall outlook: I don't think this team is quite as strong as a few of the others above, but in reality all these teams are good and it's a fine line between them at this point. I'll say this: If Steven Jackson can be a top-five back this year and play a full season, this team could really take off. As noted above, the complementary pieces to contention are in place if that is the reality that unfolds.

ICEMAN

1.06- RB Frank Gore, SF

2.07- QB Tom Brady, NEP

3.06- RB Pierre Thomas, NO

4.07- TE Antonio Gates, SD

5.06- WR Hines Ward, Pit.

6.07- RB Jonathan Stewart, Car.

7.06- WR Santana Moss, Wash.

8.07- WR Domenik Hixon, NYG

9.06- WR Michael Crabtree, SF

10.07- QB Eli Manning, NYG

11.06- TE Brent Celek, Phi.

12.07- D/ST, Pittsburgh Steelers

13.06- WR Sinorice Moss, NYG

14.07- K David Akers, Phi.

15.06- RB Jamaal Charles, KC

Analysis: Ah, the ICEMAN...never conventional...always a style of drafting all his own. This draft really didn't surprise me given how unpredictable and unorthodox ICE can be. Not picking a WR until Round Five in a league that starts three of them is a pretty big risk and this has been well-documented in the running commentary. I think going for an early QB or an early TE can be a great thing, but going for BOTH of those positions early has some downside to it. It has left this team with marginal talent at both the RB and WR positions and forces someone unexpected to step up. Could that someone be a Michael Crabtree or Domenik Hixon? Possibly. I think Gore and Thomas are probably going to produce about #10 and #20 numbers at their positions respectively, so somebody needs to become a gem in the rough or else the talent just isn't here for a deep title run, in my opinion. Now, if Tom Brady were to return to 2007 form, it's a whole different matter. This team DOES have the capability of complementing another monster season for Brady. Short of that, though, I am seeing this team in the middle of the pack at best. But, ICE has proven me wrong plenty of times before, so take that with a grain of salt. He's a solid drafter.

Key to No-Hassle success: I don't think this team has the horses to get it done in the NHL this season, but there's an asterick to that statement. If DeAngelo Williams were to get hurt, Jonathan Stewart would become a HUGE asset. For this team to contend, that would be the ideal scenario.

Favorite pick: Stewart for reasons noted above, but also Crabtree. Good job rolling the dice at a time when it was appropriate to do so.

Least Favorite pick: Antonio Gates; he really faded in December last year. Probably needed to pass on him there and look for a more talented WR

Overall outlook: ICE is rarely going to top my list of yearly contenders, and yet, several years he has found himself very much near the top of the league at the end. Like I said, his drafting pattern doesn't fit with mine, but that's o.k. Brady or Stewart blowing up would make this team a contender. Both happening at the same time could make this team scary. We'll see what happens.

Remote Controller

1.07- RB LaDainian Tomlinson, SD

2.06- WR Reggie Wayne, Ind.

3.07- RB Ryan Grant, GB

4.06- WR Wes Welker, NEP

5.07- QB Donovan McNabb, Phi.

6.06- TE Greg Olsen, Chi.

7.07- RB Julius Jones, Sea.

8.06- WR Kevin Walter, Hou.

9.07- RB Darren Sproles, SD

10.06- WR Percy Harvin, Min.

11.07- QB Brett Favre, FA

12.06- WR Muhsin Muhammad, Car.

13.07- TE Jeremy Shockey, NO

14.06- K Jason Elam, Atl.

15.07- D/ST, Arizona Cardinals

Analysis: Remote did several things I liked here and I think this was a somewhat typical and yet very solid effort on his part this year. First and foremost, this is a very balanced team. He didn't load up at any one position, choosing instead to fortify all four main positions equally across the board. When you think of a #1 RB, Tomlinson fits the bill. When you think of an ideal, work-man like #2 RB, Ryan Grant fits the bill. When you're looking for that starting RB flying under the radar to be your #3 RB, Julius Jones fits the bill. Exact same thing could be said for the trio of Wayne, Welker, and Walter. And, the drafting for depth at WR represents a trend that I really like. Remote went after a high-risk, high-upside guy in Percy Harvin, but came right back with Muhammad two rounds later as a conservative pick to pick up the pieces if Harvin doesn't pan out. That's a super way to round out your receiving corps. One thing that could prove to be a problem for this team in the No-Hassle format, however, would be Brett Favre staying retired. If that turns out to be true, consider that Donovan McNabb misses a few games a year more often than not. Unless it becomes certain that Favre will be back, there's some risk involved in that selection. Aside from that, though, it's hard not to like this team overall. Balanced is what they are.

Key to No-Hassle success: This is probably the safest team of them all in terms of players being likely to perform up to their draft positions. McNabb staying healthy would be the obvious choice here...but even then, I think this team will finish top five. I guess you could say the key to success then is just guys staying healthy. I don't see many potential busts out there from this group.

Favorite pick: All the picks were solid, but I think the Julius Jones pick caught my eye the most. Not an exciting player, but a wise choice to back up the two starting backs.

Least Favorite pick: Favre, I guess. I really thought all the picks were well thought-out and fit into the overall theme of balancing the roster.

Overall outlook: This wouldn't be my top pick to win this year's NHL title, but I think this team is the safest bet to finish in the top five. There just don't seem to be a lot of places this team will go wrong. My prediction would be that Remote NEVER tops the weekly report with the top best-ball totals for any one week...but finishes top five 12 of the 17 weeks. That's the kind of team I think this one is.

Ray Lewis' Limo Driver

1.08- RB Chris Johnson, Ten.

2.05- WR Andre Johnson, Ten.

3.08- RB Kevin Smith, Det.

4.05- WR Santonio Holmes, Pit.

5.08- WR Anthony Gonzalez, Ind.

6.05- QB Jay Cutler, Chi.

7.08- RB Rashard Mendenhall, Pit.

8.05- QB Matt Hasselbeck, Sea.

9.08- RB Javon Ringer, Ten.

10.05- TE Visanthe Shiancoe, Min.

11.08- WR Earl Bennett, Chi.

12.05- D/ST, Baltimore Ravens

13.08- K Rob Bironas, Ten.

14.05- RB Jerome Harrison, Cle.

15.08- WR Andre Caldwell, Cin.

Analysis: Aside from the rather bizarre pick of Javon Ringer, there really isn't much I don't like about the No-Hassle prospects for this edition of Ray Ray's bunch. The starters at QB, RB, and WR were all selected in the first six rounds and while some of the players (C.Johnson, K.Smith, Gonzalez, Mendenhall) have never put together back-to-back solid seasons in the NFL (three were rookies last year), there is obvious upside with grabbing young, rising players as opposed to stagnant or declining ones. I'm not wild about the Cutler/Hasselbeck combo at QB, but I can live with it given that the other two main positions appear to be in good shape. Ray's choices for depth always amuse me and this year was no different. Nothing conventional about picks 9-15. I guess Ray was looking for that diamond in the rough so to speak because I don't see any proven vets in that group, either. Aside from Hasselbeck, this whole team really represents a youth movement and there is very little in fantasy football that's more fun to watch/track than stacking your team full of guys who have yet to hit their prime. The downside is that this team is also fairly risky for all the same reasons. Having a few more reliable vets sprinkled in would make me a bit more comfortable.

Key to No-Hassle success: When you spend a mid-first round pick on a guy that shares time in the backfield with another guy, that's risky. Will Chris Johnson score more than five TDs this year? Will teams figure out a way to contain him? I think Chris Johnson is absolutely the key to this team's success. Andre Johnson is a proven stud, but can the other Johnson be a stud as well? That's a darn good question.

Favorite pick: This is an absolute no-brainer. You stole Andre Johnson at 2.05. There's no two ways about that.

Least Favorite pick: Javon Ringer. :o Dude....

Overall outlook: I'd be lying if I said I actually had some idea as to how this team is going to do. It's a young team, as has been noted, and it will be a fun team to keep track of. There are so many variables with this group, but Ray has a very solid track record in the No-Hassle league and he certainly drafts teams with upside and flair. So, no predictions on this bunch...they could end up almost anywhere in the standings from 1-12.

Paulinstl.

1.09- RB Brandon Jacobs, NYG

2.04- RB Brian Westbrook, Phi.

3.09- WR Terrell Owens, Buf.

4.04- WR Roy Williams, Dal.

5.09- QB Kurt Warner, Ari.

6.04- RB Derrick Ward, TB

7.09- WR Lance Moore, NO

8.04- WR Torry Holt, Jax.

9.09- RB Earnest Graham, TB

10.04- QB David Garrard, Jax.

11.09- RB Willis McGahee, Bal.

12.04- TE Heath Miller, Pit.

13.09- QB Chad Pennington, Mia.

14.04- K Kris Brown, Hou.

15.09- D/ST, New England Patriots

Analysis: Talk about a high-risk team. Will Brian Westbrook be healthy or even semi-healthy when the season starts? How will the marriage between TO and Buffalo go? What can we expect from Roy Williams in Dallas? Can Kurt Warner stay upright for a third straight season? Is Lance Moore going to be healed up by the time the season starts? What will Derrick Ward's role in Tampa be? Lots of unknowns on this team. That said, the team is fairly deep at several positions, namely QB and RB. And, there's plenty of upside to go around as talented players like Owens and Williams could exceed their draft status in terms of overall fantasy production. It just feels like a great many of fantasy's riskier propositions all reside on one team here and that would scare me to death as an owner. Apparently, Paul does not feel that gambling on a bunch of uncertain situations is a bad thing, though and he has done a good job carving out a roster that is fairly balanced.

Key to No-Hassle success: Wow. With so many question marks on the roster, where does one start? Probably with Westbrook. He's an easy first round pick if totally healthy and Paul got him in the second. As such, if his recovery from surgery is speedy and allows him to get up to full speed by the time the season starts, Paul has his stud RB. He'll need that to happen.

Favorite pick: I thought the 5/6 turn was pretty fruitful for Paul. Despite Warner's age and health risks, he is a gunslinger and a good value there. Likewise, if the Bucs give Ward 275-300 carries, he's also a great value in the sixth.

Least Favorite pick: Roy Williams; he's got a lot to prove to me before I'll spend this high of a pick on him. I also wonder if McGahee will do much this year.

Overall outlook: Much like Ray's team, this is a hard group to project success for, but not because of youth and inexperience. There are just too many high-risk players on one roster for me here and while some of those risks will pan out, history suggests others may not. So, can Paul be a contender with this team? Of course he can. Would I be willing to bet money on it? Not right now.

Dan

1.10- WR Larry Fitzgerald, Ari.

2.03- RB Clinton Portis, Wash.

3.10- WR Antonio Bryant, TB

4.03- RB Thomas Jones, NYJ

5.10- QB Matt Schaub, Hou.

6.03- TE Dallas Clark, Ind.

7.10- WR Devin Hester, Chi.

8.03- RB Fred Taylor, NEP

9.10- WR Derrick Mason, Bal.

10.03- RB Justin Fargas, Oak.

11.10- QB Kerry Collins, Ten.

12.03- K Mason Crosby, GB

13.10- WR Michael Jenkins, Atl.

14.03- D/ST, Chicago Bears

15.10- RB Kevin Faulk, NEP

Analysis: This team, like a few of the others drafted, is kind of a "middle of the road" team for me at the outset. I loved the Fitzgerald pick as he was by far the most talented and dynamic player on the board where he was picked. After that, though, Dan picked a bunch of running backs with heavy mileage on their tires and that's always something that draws red flags for me. Can Portis, Jones, and Taylor match up in the NHL with teams who have fresher sets of legs and more upside? That's worth watching as the season moves forward. I'm also not a big fan of the QB combo here as compared to other teams, but I must say that Dallas Clark was a really solid value in the sixth. The veteran receivers to back up the upside of Hester was also a very wise move and although this team isn't explosive, it does have a great deal of veteran presence on it, which can lead to more consistency and less ups and downs with respect to the weekly scoring totals. If those three aging RBs can give Dan another year of solid production, the dynamic play of Fitzgerald has what it needs as a complement to spur this team on to big things. If not, it could come down to guys like Matt Schaub or Antonio Bryant to be more than what most expect them to be.

Key to No-Hassle success: Mentioned above. The trio of Portis, Jones, and Taylor have combined for 6,500 career rushing attempts. Those tires are worn pretty thin. If they were to all hit a wall this year simultaneously, this team has no chance to compete in this very brutally tough league.

Favorite pick: Dallas Clark. Wonderful choice at a time when value in this draft was surprisingly good across the board.

Least Favorite pick: Fred Taylor. Simply too early to take him. He'd have still been there several rounds later.

Overall outlook: Any team with Larry Fitzgerald is going to have its big weeks, but I question the age of the running back crew here and think it may end up hindering this team's success a little bit. Still, guys like Schaub and Bryant have tremendous upside and so the opportunity for this team to be really good does exist. In the end, I don't think this team is one of the top contenders, but I've been proven wrong time and again over the years.

Fumbleweed

1.11- RB DeAngelo Williams, Car.

2.02- WR Randy Moss, NEP

3.11- TE Jason Witten, Dal.

4.02- WR Brandon Marshall, Den.

5.11- RB Darren McFadden, Oak.

6.02- RB Chris Wells, Ari.

7.11- QB Carson Palmer, Cin.

8.02- QB Ben Roethlisberger, Pit.

9.11- WR Justin Gage, Ten.

10.02- QB Matt Cassel, KC

11.11- WR Steve Smith, NYG

12.02- WR Miles Austin, Dal.

13.11- K Nate Kaeding, SD

14.02- RB Laurence Maroney, NEP

15.11- D/ST, New York Giants

Analysis: I think this is one of the most explosive teams in the league starting out, but like several other teams noted, some of my "explosive" selections were also a bit risky. I typically opt for teams that have the potential to score points in bunches and the first two picks were reflective of that with the most explosive player of 2008 being paired with the most explosive guy (along with Brady) from 2007. After that, the draft became as much about value and upside as anything and there are plenty of players with the potential to have big years. Problem is, a number of these guys (McFadden, Wells, Austin) haven't ever had a big year NFL at this point and as such, they are somewhat unknown commodities. So, this team is kind of a swing for the fences in some spots with a few conservative picks thrown in (at QB, for example). I really think Clash's team and mine mirror each other at every turn, which makes me think we were thinking along the same lines as we picked from these spots. In the end, I think it's something you must do from the #11 hole: You must take chances and pick up a number of guys with high ceilings. How that belief translates into the No-Hassle season remains, of course, to be seen.

Key to No-Hassle success: Picks 4-6 will make or break this team's NHL chances. Brandon Marshall has second round talent, but is trouble personified and he must demonstrate focus and maturity this year wherever he plays to make that a worthwhile selection. McFadden and Wells don't both have to produce very good numbers, but one of them does. If both guys bust, it creates quite a void in the lineup from week to week.

Favorite pick: McFadden. I know some don't like him and/or his team (can't blame you there), but I thought he fell to far given his immense talent.

Least Favorite pick: Brandon Marshall. I just knew Clash was going to let Moreno slide to me...but he didn't. Made for a tough selection at 4.02.

Overall outlook: This team has the horsepower and then some to get me back into the winner's circle at the end of December, so I think I'm a contender. The problem is, a lot of that optimism is based on projection and not a repeat of past performance. Anytime you're banking on players being better than what they've been in the past, you're rolling the dice. So, this team's got a shot at greatness or collapse. I think the depth of the team will prevent collapse, but success is certainly not guaranteed.

Clash of the Titans

1.12- RB Steve Slaton, Hou.

2.01- WR Calvin Johnson, Det.

3.12- RB Knowshon Moreno, Den.

4.01- WR Chad Ochocinco, Cin.

5.12- QB Tony Romo, Dal.

6.01- TE Tony Gonzalez, Atl.

7.12- WR Donald Driver, GB

8.01- RB Ray Rice, Bal.

9.12- RB Chester Taylor, Min.

10.01- WR Chris Chambers, SD

11.12- QB Joe Flacco, Bal.

12.01- RB Michael Bush, Oak.

13.12- WR Hakeem Nicks, NYG

14.01- D/ST, Tennessee Titans

15.12- K Garrett Hartley, NO

Analysis: As I said above, this team looks very similar to mine for me. Young explosive RB and dynamic WR to open the draft followed by a rookie running back and a risky but talented #2 WR selection. Then a top tier tight end. I don't know if Clash was consciously trying to create a team similar to mine, but that's how it worked out and as such, I can't help but like what he did. This team has so much upside potential that it's almost frightening and that is a general hallmark of Clash. He amasses a bunch of talent and upside and then unleashes the group on opening weekend through Christmas. I also think Clash did a solid job of mixing in young talented players with steady vets at the WR position as well as at RB and QB. The fact that so many of Clash's teams look alike to me tells me that after years and years of watching him draft, I'm finally starting to see patterns. As for how a team like this is going to perform in the best ball format, chances are things will go fairly well. That's because guys like Ochocinco, Romo, and Chambers are notoriously streaky and should give him big weeks on a semi-regular basis. Moreno is a big unknown, but Clash can afford to let him develop with Rice and Taylor also on board. This team could end up being quite good.

Key to No-Hassle success: Clash could have gone more conservative at the 3/4 turn after acquiring two young, rising talents in the first two rounds. But, instead, he chose a rookie and an odd, odd duck to create his fearsome foursome. It's those two guys (Moreno and Ochocinco) who will, I think, make or break his season. Slaton and Johnson will be great, but they'll need help.

Favorite pick: Moreno. You can back him up with vets later. Swing for the fences...I like that.

Least Favorite pick: Ochocinco...he's a good best ball guy to have, but I think he's narcissistic and selfish and is no guarantee to get his stuff back together this year.

Overall outlook: This team could easily win the No-Hassle title. There's enough talent & guys in the prime of their careers on this team to do serious damage. I don't see much I don't like other than a few nit-picky things and I fully expect Clash's name to be near the top of the standings as the weather turns cold.

That was wrong . . . had my hopes up and everything . . . open the thread and *piff* (that was my hopes).

Got four done...check back tomorrow if you're interested in this and hopefully by the end of the day, I'll have all 12 teams covered.

Least Favorite pick: Reggie Bush. Not much of a factor in this format.

While I hate Reggie Bush (I think I made that clear in the 5th round commentary thread), I disagree he's not much of a factor in this format. In 2006, he was the 16th RB (good RB2) in non PPR leagues. In 07, 24th (bad RB2, good RB3). Last year, 35th (bad RB3, good RB4). When you consider him missing 4 games in 07, and 6 games last year, his points per game would be higher than you expect.

Hopefully my other 2 RBs will be consistent enough that Bush only counts for me when he goes off, and they stay healthy enough that Bush's missed games will be a limited issue.

If I had to do it over again, I may have taken Lynch over Bush, but I believe Bush was a nice value, and I stand by the pick.

:o

While I hate Reggie Bush (I think I made that clear in the 5th round commentary thread), I disagree he's not much of a factor in this format. In 2006, he was the 16th RB (good RB2) in non PPR leagues. In 07, 24th (bad RB2, good RB3). Last year, 35th (bad RB3, good RB4). When you consider him missing 4 games in 07, and 6 games last year, his points per game would be higher than you expect.

Hopefully my other 2 RBs will be consistent enough that Bush only counts for me when he goes off, and they stay healthy enough that Bush's missed games will be a limited issue.

If I had to do it over again, I may have taken Lynch over Bush, but I believe Bush was a nice value, and I stand by the pick.

:thumbsdown:

Yep, we all have different opinions about players and what they'll do this fall. That's why this is so much fun to track every year.

looks like im higher on my RB depth than anyone else lol.

Got four done...check back tomorrow if you're interested in this and hopefully by the end of the day, I'll have all 12 teams covered.

If you do all 12 teams, I'll package it up and post it on the site. Nice work guys!

Gratefulted

1.03- RB Michael Turner, Atl.

2.10- RB Ronnie Brown, Mia.

3.03- WR Anquan Boldin, Ari.

4.10- QB Aaron Rodgers, GB

5.03- WR DeSean Jackson, Phi.

6.10- RB Jamal Lewis, Cle.

7.03- WR Lee Evans, Buf.

8.10- TE Kellen Winslow, Jr., TB

9.03- WR Ted Ginn, Jr., Mia.

10.10- RB Jerious Norwood, Atl.

11.03- QB Marc Bulger, Stl.

12.10- RB Ricky Williams, Mia.

13.03- WR Deion Branch, Sea.

14.10- D/ST, San Diego Chargers

15.03- K Matt Prater, Den.

Analysis: I gotta be honest. I don't think ted's ever had a team that looked this good after the June Mock. This was a strong effort in any format, but I think this team is going to be especially good in the No-Hassle way of doing things. First of all, the team looks similar to V4E's team in that there is a stud back, nearly ideal #2 RB, and a top-five QB (Rodgers) in the mix. Add to that a stable of wideouts that I am personally high on (all of them were targets sans Evans) and you've got a talented bunch. Still, some concerns emerge. Marc Bulger? That's a risky guy to have to fall back on if something happens to Rodgers. Also, I am not a big Winslow guy, but I do have to admit that he was a good value at the end of the eighth round. Overall, I just think ted really stepped it up this year and I would not be surprised to see his team really make some noise from September on (see below).

Key to No-Hassle success: I am going to go with Anquan Boldin. A WR picked that high has to be a stud and Boldin certainly has that potential. He also has the potential to be distracted and disgrutled. I think this team comes together and becomes dangerous if Boldin merely lives up to his draft status.

Favorite pick: Michael Turner. In a non-PPR format, he's going to flat-out get it done. Ted did the right thing here resisting a more "trendy" pick and went with the workhorse instead. Solid choice. I loved the DeSean Jackson pick as well.

Least Favorite pick: Marc Bulger. There were better QBs available at that pick. Deion Branch may not help you much, either.

Overall outlook: Like I mentioned above, I would be proud and excited to open the season with this team in the No-Hassle format. The depth at both the RB and WR positions is terrific. This team reminds me so much of V4E's team. I like V4E's starters a bit better, but ted's depth is better, I think. Ted has a major contender for an NHL title on his hands.

You have a higher opinion than I do on this team, (I believe) my success depends on the production of Ronnie Brown, Anquan Boldin and the health of Aaron Rodgers, I thought of Barber instead of Brown but I think the Cowboys are going to have a very bad season and stayed clear of them as a whole, I also like my WR's alot and feel very confident, I also can't stand Winslow, I despise him more than anyone else in the league (I had to pinch my nose while selecting him) but I just couldn't pass him up and waited too long to find a back-up (anyone able to get me more than 1 or 2 points a week), as for Bulger I agree I could have done better, I almost took Favre but who knows if he'll even play? He's the one player I picked cuz of favoritism (I'm a Rams fan from way back in the Roman Gabriel era) which I'm guilty of in every draft I get myself involved in, hopefully Rodgers stays healthy! As for Branch he's just a shot in the dark that I have a good gut feeling of, I feel that he's got a personal goal to do right for what the SeaHacks gave up to get him and I see 2 or 3 games this year where he'll explode for 2 or 3 TD's and in this format he'll fit in just fine (I wont have to guess which week it happens).

Thanks Fumble (also to Dan & Remote) for taking the time to do this, I don't feel comfortable publicly dissecting other peoples teams but my own but look forward to others dissecting mine.

Remote Controller

1.07- RB LaDainian Tomlinson, SD

2.06- WR Reggie Wayne, Ind.

3.07- RB Ryan Grant, GB

4.06- WR Wes Welker, NEP

5.07- QB Donovan McNabb, Phi.

6.06- TE Greg Olsen, Chi.

7.07- RB Julius Jones, Sea.

8.06- WR Kevin Walter, Hou.

9.07- RB Darren Sproles, SD

10.06- WR Percy Harvin, Min.

11.07- QB Brett Favre, FA

12.06- WR Muhsin Muhammad, Car.

13.07- TE Jeremy Shockey, NO

14.06- K Jason Elam, Atl.

15.07- D/ST, Arizona Cardinals

Analysis: Remote did several things I liked here and I think this was a somewhat typical and yet very solid effort on his part this year. First and foremost, this is a very balanced team. He didn't load up at any one position, choosing instead to fortify all four main positions equally across the board. When you think of a #1 RB, Tomlinson fits the bill. When you think of an ideal, work-man like #2 RB, Ryan Grant fits the bill. When you're looking for that starting RB flying under the radar to be your #3 RB, Julius Jones fits the bill. Exact same thing could be said for the trio of Wayne, Welker, and Walter. And, the drafting for depth at WR represents a trend that I really like. Remote went after a high-risk, high-upside guy in Percy Harvin, but came right back with Muhammad two rounds later as a conservative pick to pick up the pieces if Harvin doesn't pan out. That's a super way to round out your receiving corps. One thing that could prove to be a problem for this team in the No-Hassle format, however, would be Brett Favre staying retired. If that turns out to be true, consider that Donovan McNabb misses a few games a year more often than not. Unless it becomes certain that Favre will be back, there's some risk involved in that selection. Aside from that, though, it's hard not to like this team overall. Balanced is what they are.

Key to No-Hassle success: This is probably the safest team of them all in terms of players being likely to perform up to their draft positions. McNabb staying healthy would be the obvious choice here...but even then, I think this team will finish top five. I guess you could say the key to success then is just guys staying healthy. I don't see many potential busts out there from this group.

Favorite pick: All the picks were solid, but I think the Julius Jones pick caught my eye the most. Not an exciting player, but a wise choice to back up the two starting backs.

Least Favorite pick: Favre, I guess. I really thought all the picks were well thought-out and fit into the overall theme of balancing the roster.

Overall outlook: This wouldn't be my top pick to win this year's NHL title, but I think this team is the safest bet to finish in the top five. There just don't seem to be a lot of places this team will go wrong. My prediction would be that Remote NEVER tops the weekly report with the top best-ball totals for any one week...but finishes top five 12 of the 17 weeks. That's the kind of team I think this one is.

Thanks Fumble, and that's me to a "T". I tend to draft very safe teams. Teams that are easily mangaged during the season. There is absolutely no doubt Favre is going to Minnesota, and you can take that to the bank, or I would not have considered drafting him. You need to remember the Timmerman connection ( :ninja: ) , and believe me here. I have changed my drafting style the past few years and gamble more at RB, making sure I fill a solid Wr squad. Used to be, come hell or high water, I would grab 3 Rb's in the first 4 picks. Anymore I only target two guys.....my Starting Qb and my #1 TE. I look to grab the two guys I want , at their assigned spots, and then Value Base Draft around them. This is an interesting Fantasy Year we are about to take part in, and draft. I feel this is one of those years where most teams seem pretty good, and everyone basically happy with their effort. There is a perceived depth to all positions that I don't ever remember to this extent.

Thanks to you and Mike again for the platform to showcase this great early mock. It is among the best I participate in, and kicks off the season.

Great analysis Fumble. I agree that the team I drafted is a very risky one indeed. In every draft in every league there is a team that, for whatever reason, winds up needing to look for quality potential a little deeper than most others' rankings indicate. I think drafting ninth in a draft with sharks put me directly in the crosshairs. My very first decision to draft Jacobs I knew would be considered to many to be a reach. I went with him because with Ward being gone, I don't see any other NYG RB stealing any goal line carries theis year. I also think Jacobs will see the field more often than the last couple of years because of Ward's absence barring injury issues. Ward wasn't just a body to help ease the slack, there were games he got the hot hand and stayed in the game over a healthy Jacobs. Without an extended period of missed time due to injury, I think Jacobs might post numbers higher than three or four RBs taken before him.

Westbrook played almost the entire season last year with one healthy leg and still posted great numbers. He never practiced during the week, and is the one RB in the league that has his team's offense built exclusively to suit his talents. I'm less worried about Westbrook's recovery than may be warranted, but no way could I let his potential slide farther than 2.04.

As far as the WR position, my choice came down to whether I wanted to anchor my team with a combination of Andre Johnson at WR and the next RB available to me after a full round and a half of waiting for my turn. The choice came down to a combination of Westbrook/Owens or Andre Johnson/Knowshon Moreno, Thomas Jones. In my mind, I wasn't comfortable with waiting that long to grab either one of those RBs as my number two. I could very well be dead wrong at how this works out this year, but as of mid June, I'll take Westbrook/Owens over Andre/Moreno and feel slightly good about it. Roy Williams was the very biggest reach in my draft. I also knew that some people would question that pick. He is the guy that franchise is hoping will play to his talent level. With Romo needing a reliable target other than Witten and Roy doing nothing more last year than providing a decoy for TO, he did show enough to prove he can still stretch the field. If Romo and Roy get that chemistry thing going, he's in for a big year, if not I busted on a fourth round WR. 16th WR taken overall. That's a gamble I'm comfortable with.

Draft position played a bigger part in my strategy this year than any other draft I can recall taking part in. At number 9, it seems a little too early to go WR seeing the RBs falling off the board in front of me. If I thought I had any chance to grab Westbrook at 2.04, I may very well have decide to go with Fitzgerald or Moss here, but I would have been fighting a real uphill battle at RB if both of my guys went before my second pick.

My first four picks were players I thought were being undervalued in all the rankings I looked at. In the case of Westbrook and Owens, in my mind these two players are being criminally underrated.

High risk? Certainly. High reward? We'll see.

Once again, thanks Fumble for the draft, the analysis, and shooting out the emails later this year. Thabks to Remote too for the comments during the draft and the post draft analysis. Thaks also to Dan for his ongoing analysis. Great draft everybody, Monday-Friday, BANG! That's the way to do an internet draft!

Great analysis Fumble. I agree that the team I drafted is a very risky one indeed. In every draft in every league there is a team that, for whatever reason, winds up needing to look for quality potential a little deeper than most others' rankings indicate. I think drafting ninth in a draft with sharks put me directly in the crosshairs. My very first decision to draft Jacobs I knew would be considered to many to be a reach. I went with him because with Ward being gone, I don't see any other NYG RB stealing any goal line carries theis year. I also think Jacobs will see the field more often than the last couple of years because of Ward's absence barring injury issues. Ward wasn't just a body to help ease the slack, there were games he got the hot hand and stayed in the game over a healthy Jacobs. Without an extended period of missed time due to injury, I think Jacobs might post numbers higher than three or four RBs taken before him.

Westbrook played almost the entire season last year with one healthy leg and still posted great numbers. He never practiced during the week, and is the one RB in the league that has his team's offense built exclusively to suit his talents. I'm less worried about Westbrook's recovery than may be warranted, but no way could I let his potential slide farther than 2.04.

As far as the WR position, my choice came down to whether I wanted to anchor my team with a combination of Andre Johnson at WR and the next RB available to me after a full round and a half of waiting for my turn. The choice came down to a combination of Westbrook/Owens or Andre Johnson/Knowshon Moreno, Thomas Jones. In my mind, I wasn't comfortable with waiting that long to grab either one of those RBs as my number two. I could very well be dead wrong at how this works out this year, but as of mid June, I'll take Westbrook/Owens over Andre/Moreno and feel slightly good about it. Roy Williams was the very biggest reach in my draft. I also knew that some people would question that pick. He is the guy that franchise is hoping will play to his talent level. With Romo needing a reliable target other than Witten and Roy doing nothing more last year than providing a decoy for TO, he did show enough to prove he can still stretch the field. If Romo and Roy get that chemistry thing going, he's in for a big year, if not I busted on a fourth round WR. 16th WR taken overall. That's a gamble I'm comfortable with.

Draft position played a bigger part in my strategy this year than any other draft I can recall taking part in. At number 9, it seems a little too early to go WR seeing the RBs falling off the board in front of me. If I thought I had any chance to grab Westbrook at 2.04, I may very well have decide to go with Fitzgerald or Moss here, but I would have been fighting a real uphill battle at RB if both of my guys went before my second pick.

My first four picks were players I thought were being undervalued in all the rankings I looked at. In the case of Westbrook and Owens, in my mind these two players are being criminally underrated.

High risk? Certainly. High reward? We'll see.

Once again, thanks Fumble for the draft, the analysis, and shooting out the emails later this year. Thabks to Remote too for the comments during the draft and the post draft analysis. Thaks also to Dan for his ongoing analysis. Great draft everybody, Monday-Friday, BANG! That's the way to do an internet draft!

This was a great post. I enjoyed your draft, and what you did, and had to do, as much as any I have ever followed. A person almost needs to go back and look at who went the 5 picks in front of you and the 5 picks after you, to really appreciate some of the dilemas you faced! I was hoping to hear about your draft from your perspective!

GO CARDS!!!!

:music_guitarred: :lol:

I think Fumble's analysis of my team was pretty spot-on. I don't agree about the QBs, but I didn't draft them thinking that I would. :thumbsup: I took Schaub early, because the other QBs that were being considered around then were ones that I don't hold in as high esteem (Cutler, McNabb). In a second chance, maybe I hold off and see how far he drops. But I think Schaub is going to have a heck of a year, and the gamble, in my mind, is on his health. If he stays healthy, I'm probably a genius. His score per game in this format was top six. Kerry Collins was safe, plain and simple.

The RBs that I took I knew were on the older side, and I accept the inherent risk, though I am constantly amused at people putting the ancient Portis one step in the grave at the age of 27. I hear the mileage argument, but I would worry more if his numbers were dropping, instead of improving as they did last year. Taylor . . . as I indicated in the commentary, I misjudged. I should have waited. *sigh* What can one do? Call it infatuation. I know that my chances come down to how these guys do, but I'm confident that they have at least a year left . . . especially Portis.

I like my receiving corps. I would love to get more than expectations from Bryant. He was #8 last year, and I would take that. Two top five receivers? That would be sweet!!! And Mason made me happy. :lol: Hester seemed like a good gamble, because if he becomes Cutler's favorite target, I am golden, and would have a receiving corps to rival everyone except White Wonder. Okay, I dream big . . .

It really does come down to Schaub and the workhorses. If they can hold their own, my receivers will push me into the top tier. If not, I'll watch with interest anyway. :lol:

I'm looking at fftoday's cheatsheet. Based on their thinking I have starting:

A top two QB

2 top 18 RB's (out of 24)

3 top 21 WR's (out of 36)

Doesn't look so bad to me. The Mikes have spoken!@#! :thumbsup:

I'm looking at fftoday's cheatsheet. Based on their thinking I have starting:

A top two QB

2 top 18 RB's (out of 24)

3 top 21 WR's (out of 36)

Doesn't look so bad to me. The Mikes have spoken!@#! :wall:

Hmmmmm, let's see. I believe these rankings are Krueger's though, because McGregor would not have Olsen as his #4 TE.

I have a top 5 QB, a top 4 Rb, a top 6 Wr, a top 4 TE, and a top 3 Rookie Wr. Also a #15 Rb, a #18 Wr, and A #16 TE, as a #2's at their positions. He'll come around on Favre, and rank him soon.

I have 2 top 22 QB's :overhead: :overhead:

but 2 top 8 WR's and 3 top 20 WR's :banana:

and THE top RB :bench:

and ummm ummm 5 top 46 RB's? :pointstosky:

-- Favre to Attend Vikings Training Camp --

Tue Jun 23, 2009 --from FFMastermind.com

WCCO.com reports barring some unforeseen major physical setback, QB Brett Favre will be at Minnesota Vikings training camp in Mankato when they open up the end of July. A source said that Favre and the Vikings have indeed come to a contractual agreement, with heavy incentives. The Vikings equipment manager has already ordered number 4 purple jerseys with his name on it. However, on Sunday, Favre's longtime agent, Bus Cook denied a report that was out there that Favre and the Vikings had come to an agreement. What isn't known is when this will be officially announced. Minnesota Vikings HC Brad Childress is in Alaska fishing this week with his good friend, Eagles HC Andy Reid. Vikings QB John David Booty is currently wearing number 4, but QB Tavaris Jackson could be the quarterback the Vikings try to trade. The Vikings will keep QB Sage Rosenfels to back up Favre and take over if Favre can't get the job done.

:overhead: :pointstosky: :pointstosky: :pointstosky: :pointstosky:

Nice analysis, well done as always. :wacko: