Sign in to follow this  
Shock6822

Derrick Mason Retires

Gawd, does this make Mark Clayton the #1 receiver in Baltimore

:emoticonpuking:

Hello Mr. non signed Matt Jones and Plaxino Burress

Back to the topic at hand - it was a nice long run Mr Mason. You have had a very nice career. I don't think I ever owned you once in my 12 years of ff. Stay faithful man :pointstosky:

Yeah, this was pretty sudden. I thought he was at least going to play out this year. Anyway, I guess that makes Clayton and Demetrius Williams the current starters. You may be right with the Matt Jones idea, jocstrap.

It would figure. Was holding on to Clayton just waiting in my dynasty league. Let him go last year and now this. Wouldn't expect anything less.

It would figure. Was holding on to Clayton just waiting in my dynasty league. Let him go last year and now this. Wouldn't expect anything less.

I don't think you'll end up rgretting it at all.

While I always liked Mason and think he was a very solid, consistent receiver, he wasn't a Moss/Owens- type talent that was so amazingly good that it prevented other players from becoming a number one receiver. Clayton isn't suddenly going to unsuck.

Baltimore will be tryimng desperately to land a legitimate number one guy.

Clayton put up 41/700/3 last year as the number 2 on a run first team with a rookie QB. Thats not THAT bad.....

Problem is, he won't have anyone else taking coverage away from him, its still a run heavy team and Flacco is just in his 2nd year. They will rely on the run game and defense as much as ever.

Could this maybe set Heap up for a bounce back year of sorts?

While I always liked Mason and think he was a very solid, consistent receiver, he wasn't a Moss/Owens- type talent that was so amazingly good that it prevented other players from becoming a number one receiver. Clayton isn't suddenly going to unsuck.

He wasn't a moss/T.O. type but he was McNair's main man in Tennessee. Which led to the constant looks. Last year Clayton had a rookie QB.

I for one would have rather got Clayton the ball more so than Mason if I ran the show in Balt. While he's probably not a true #1. I wouldn't say Clayton sucks. Just never really had the oppurtunities to show anything.

Paging RLLD

Paging RLLD

This will put Matt Stover the #1 kicker in the league. Albeit they are going to all have to be from the 40 yard line and out, unless the Defense gets a turnover inside the 20.

Week 1

Baltimore 9 other team 10

Week 2

Baltimore 6 other team 13

Week 3

Baltimore 15 other team 10

Week 4

Baltimore 5 (defense gets a safety) other team 6

Week 5

Baltimore 12 other team 13

Week 6

Baltimore scores a touchdown (via the defense) and 3 field goals for a whopping 16 point total other team 17

Week 7

Baltimore 3 other team 27 - - Baltimore's defense hits the wall here from being on the field 45 minutes of every game in the first 6 weeks. Ray Lewis gets hurt, and Baltimore's defense is no longer studly.

I will be very curious to see how many games Baltimore scores 20 points and over. At least they get Cleveland and Cincy twice.

Over/Under is 4 right now from the Jocstrap

Mason was one of the more underrated WRs in the NFL and in FF over the past decade.

No he wasnt a superstar or someone that defenses had to gameplan around but he was rock solid, consistent, professional, and productive for his whole career.

In FF, he was a solid option in PPR leagues that could always be he had for good value. The only complaint I can see someone having about him is if you played in leagues that gave bonuses for 100 yards. I swear this guy has to be the ALL TIME NFL leader in games with exactly 99 receiving yards!

Mason was one of the more underrated WRs in the NFL and in FF over the past decade.

No he wasnt a superstar or someone that defenses had to gameplan around but he was rock solid, consistent, professional, and productive for his whole career.

In FF, he was a solid option in PPR leagues that could always be he had for good value. The only complaint I can see someone having about him is if you played in leagues that gave bonuses for 100 yards. I swear this guy has to be the ALL TIME NFL leader in games with exactly 99 receiving yards!

:music_guitarred: :thumbsdown:

nailed it on the head. every ffer on the planet knew that rds 5-9, when u needed to get your weekly "5-70, 6-70, or 7-70", just call on mason and he'd deliver.

most know im a wr guy, and obviously always love moss/TO and bash on other guys who dont post those type stats yet still get the love [ie mason, ward,etc]. i still remember his career highlight when he posted like 200/3 in a game, mostly on bombs, and the owners in my league said mason was proving he can play those top guys. yet, despite giving crap to the guy in my main league who drafted him probably 8 times in the past decade, i always appreciated/gave the nod to mason both on the field and on the fantasy statsheet for his play. totally agree that he is a top5 gentleman and example to all players on how to be a professional in this league and at his position for a long time. :rolleyes:

[u r def right about the yardage bonus thing: after looking it up, the highlight to which i referred was during the 2003 season, in which he posted 5 games with 98 or 99 yds!!!]

Heap's the one who should retire.

Heap is done as a receiver. LJ Smith has more upside this year in Baltimore.

There is a general consensus among many in the area that this is a shrewd ploy on the part of Mason.

He has not submitted any paperwork to the league, which must be done....and this might be him using what is truly the only leverage he has to get the long term contract he desires.

No one is going to challenge him on this as he is doing it so close to the time of McNair's death, but there is suspicion that he will play this year at least and might be using this as a means to compel the Ravens to step up with a contract offer.

There is a general consensus among many in the area that this is a shrewd ploy on the part of Mason.

He has not submitted any paperwork to the league, which must be done....and this might be him using what is truly the only leverage he has to get the long term contract he desires.

No one is going to challenge him on this as he is doing it so close to the time of McNair's death, but there is suspicion that he will play this year at least and might be using this as a means to compel the Ravens to step up with a contract offer.

I think you're confusing occassional speculation with general consensus. Yes, he was angling for a pay raise earlier this off season. But he's public said that this is not a move to gain a new contract and that the decision to retire was motivated primarily by family interests. While I wouldn't rule out that this is some sort of ploy, it doesn't seem like Mason's style. He's always handled his business behind closed doors like a professional. Making a Farve-like retirement threat doesn't seem like his m.o.

As for the filing of retirement paperwork, that's only necessary to claim pension and retirement benefits, and holding off on that step is not uncommon.

Heap is done as a receiver. LJ Smith has more upside this year in Baltimore.

what are you basing this on? LJ's wonderful career in Philly?

My thoughst as well. If it was a 35 year old Derrick Mason that was holding Clayton back, that's not saying much about Clayton.

I don't mean that as a slight on Mason as he's as solid a professional as they come. But at his advanced age I'm sure the Ravens would have preferred him in a more complimentary role as long as another WR was able to step up. Clayton has shown flashes but he hasn't been able to step up. I think they bring in a vet FA or make a trade. Amani Toomer may be a good fit in Baltimore.

I think you're confusing occassional peculation with general consensus. Yes, he was angling for a pay raise earlier this off season. But he's public said that this is not a move to gain a new contract and that the decision to retire was motivated primarily by family interests. While I wouldn't rule out that this is some sort of ploy, it doesn't seem like Mason's style. He's always handled his business behind closed doors like a professional. Making a Farve-like retirement threat doesn't seem like his m.o.

As for the filing of retirement paperwork, that's only necessary to claim pension and retirement benefits, and holding off on that step is not uncommon.

Anytime a player says that it is not about the money, that is code for it is all about the money. If he takes more money and plays this season we will know that it was about the money. If he stays retired I will believe him, and take at his word. If he returns and does not take more money I will be very suprised.