Sign in to follow this  
noname

Why I hate fantasyfootball

I have to rant, otherwise I'm going to go postal.

* I've scored the second most points in my league, next person is 20 points below me

* I'm ranked 11/12 (1 - 3)

* I'm up by 48 pts going into Monday, no way I loose, but my opponent has Aaron Rodgers who drops 50!!!!!!!

WTF!!!!! Is there no mercy from the FF Gods!!!!

I'm better now. (as he rocks back and forth)

A points per completion league would probably yield that number. Yuck. Everyone should be required to lose every week if that's the format.

That's some weird scoring. :music_guitarred:

But your point is taken. Every year there is "that guy". Sometimes I'm that guy. The schedule just falls against you. You put up solid weeks, but seem to run into the weekly high scorer every time. It happens and is just dumb luck. Not much you can do, but what I have found is that if you have a good team that is putting up solid points every week, the luck turns your way. You just gotta grind it out and try to get to 8 wins and backdoor that last playoff spot.

I was up 50 against Rodgers AND Green Bay defense (who scored) and I won. :lol:

time for a new league for you.

HTH

Remember that the only true measure of your fantasy football season is your total points at the end of the season, not your game-by-game head-to-head score, which is only a random segment of your team's total score.

If your league does not automatically allow the highest point total into the post-season, you should request this change for next season. It is theoretically possible that the team with the highest point total at the end of the season could go 0-14 during the season; yet, that team should still be allowed an exception into the playoffs as a wildcard.

BTW, we award the total points winner the same amount of $ as the playoff champion.

Now if you are the runner up to the total points winner, you are screwed...but that's the way it should be. :lol:

Remember that the only true measure of your fantasy football season is your total points at the end of the season, not your game-by-game head-to-head score, which is only a random segment of your team's total score.

If your league does not automatically allow the highest point total into the post-season, you should request this change for next season. It is theoretically possible that the team with the highest point total at the end of the season could go 0-14 during the season; yet, that team should still be allowed an exception into the playoffs as a wildcard.

BTW, we award the total points winner the same amount of $ as the playoff champion.

Now if you are the runner up to the total points winner, you are screwed...but that's the way it should be. :lol:

:dunno:

we have 6 playoff spots

3 division winners, 2 wild cards and the highest scoring team from the remaning 7 teams.

That's why my league is points based and not based on head to head wins. Although there is an additonal prize for what would be the superbowl winner.

man, i am in a 10 team league with a bunch of people that have never played FF before and i'm 0-4. what the fawk!! i know it's only a matter of time but 0-4 is pretty significant. i need to get on a huge winning streak if i'm gonna make the playoffs.

:music_guitarred:

we have 6 playoff spots

3 division winners, 2 wild cards and the highest scoring team from the remaning 7 teams.

That's not enough. Total Points Champion IS the true Champion.

We split the pot and have 2 races....the Superbowl Race, and the Total Points Race....best of both worlds.

My idea, leagues been doing it for 7years now, and it's the ONLY way to go.

* I've scored the second most points in my league, next person is 20 points below me

* I'm up by 48 pts going into Monday, no way I loose, but my opponent has Aaron Rodgers who drops 50!!!!!!!

Last year through 6 games I was 1-4-1 and was the highest scorer by 50 over the next highest guy. Didn't lose another game the rest of the way (until the 1st round of the playoffs that is) and ended up the #2 seed. So the CREAM does ride to the top eventually.

Last year through 6 games I was 1-4-1 and was the highest scorer by 50 over the next highest guy. Didn't lose another game the rest of the way (until the 1st round of the playoffs that is) and ended up the #2 seed. So the CREAM does ride to the top eventually.

Eventually may be too late if your record doesn't get you in the playoffs.

Then the prize money goes to Superbowl Champ for finishing strong VS the guys who was the strongest all season long.

The flip side of this happened to me last year -- had second fewest points in the league, yet the best record. Won my division and got a first round bye in the playoffs, which meant guaranteed payout! My team was horrendous, but I kept getting lucky and my opponents' teams would have a major letdown each week they played me. It was great for talking ###### -- "My starting RBs are Marshawn Lynch and Ricky Williams and I still beat your sorry ass!"

Two things...

1. It is LOSE, not LOOSE...

2. Fantasy football is 100% luck...

The flip side of this happened to me last year -- had second fewest points in the league, yet the best record. Won my division and got a first round bye in the playoffs, which meant guaranteed payout! My team was horrendous, but I kept getting lucky and my opponents' teams would have a major letdown each week they played me. It was great for talking ###### -- "My starting RBs are Marshawn Lynch and Ricky Williams and I still beat your sorry ass!"

I feel better, because your team did suck...if you were starting Ricky

I'm 1-3. I am 20 points behind the league leader in points. And i'm third in our power rankings. My division is the best one so far with one at 4-0 and another at 3-1. Chances of making the playoffs are looking slim. One from each division and one wild card. It's early and we have ten games to go. Time for the luck to swing my way.

Two things...

1. It is LOSE, not LOOSE...

2. Fantasy football is 100% luck...

1. You sir, are a virgin

2. I agree FF is all luck, which sucks. Why do I take the time to read up on players and do mock drafts and set a weekly lineup...its all for nothing. FF is like Chinese torture, every week for years you get your hope up, only to be crushed each week. Slowly losing your will to play. But just like a bad relationship, you keep on coming back because you badly want to believe that in the end she'll love you and you'll get "lucky" (I know I have issues)

I'm 1-3. I am 20 points behind the league leader in points. And i'm third in our power rankings. My division is the best one so far with one at 4-0 and another at 3-1. Chances of making the playoffs are looking slim. One from each division and one wild card. It's early and we have ten games to go. Time for the luck to swing my way.

I think head to head is the most fun because any given week you have a shot. If it is only based on points a majority of the league is out of it by mid season. That being said in our league the two wildcard playoff spots are decided by the power poll. I think that is a true test of the overall season.

How many points did Brees score in Week 1 vs. the Lions? .......... A TRILLION?!?

Seriously though, I've been down this road myself. Two years ago I had the highest scoring team in my money league (standard, 12 teamer). I averaged 105 ppg and next best was 99 ppg. I finished in 8th with a 6-7 record. I think I played the first or second highest scoring teams 7 of the 13 weeks. That's why I think, like some previous posters have mentioned, it's probably best to split prize money into some for the highest ppg average at the end of the regular season and some for the playoffs.

As far as last night's game, due to your scoring system it's not like you had an insurmountable lead. Rogers had a decent game and beat you. You should have been prepared for this possibility.

I was up 45 or so going into Monday night. My opponent had Shianco and...Jared Allen. Safeties are worth 10 points in our league and sacks are 3. Jared "Mullet" Allen scored 34 points! Still, I won the game by 1.9 points. Oh wait! I wake up tuesday and take another look and there's two scoring adjustments made. One of his offensive guys and his kicker each tallied a solo tackle that they hadn't gotten credit for. So...I lost by.1 points.

Awesome.

Now if you are the runner up to the total points winner, you are screwed...but that's the way it should be. :thumbsdown:

That's not necessarily true. Yes, you can get a good record just by dumb luck, but it usually shows that your team has some sort of consistency. If you have Frank Gore and Chris Johnson you probably have a headstart on that points championship just from two guys in one week, but your team could've put up some duds in other weeks.

Either way, It's gotta be highly unlikely for the highest point total to not make the postseason, but I've seen times where the 2nd or 3rd highest don't make it.

Of course head-to-head matchups lead to many "upsets" in the fantasy playoffs, but that's what makes it fun and somewhat more realistic to real football (such as the 9-7 Cardinals making it to the SB). Yeah it's nice to award the guy with the most regular season points somehow (edit: meant points not record), but giving them the same amount as the playoff champion is kinda dumb IMO.

1. You sir, are a virgin

2. I agree FF is all luck, which sucks. Why do I take the time to read up on players and do mock drafts and set a weekly lineup...its all for nothing. FF is like Chinese torture, every week for years you get your hope up, only to be crushed each week. Slowly losing your will to play. But just like a bad relationship, you keep on coming back because you badly want to believe that in the end she'll love you and you'll get "lucky" (I know I have issues)

I don't buy into that at all. Fantasy football is FAR FROM 100% luck. Like poker, any given day can be attributed to luck, any given month can be attributed to luck - and if you play in only one league, any given year can be attributed to luck.

But, like poker, if you play it often enough, the luck balances out and in the long run it is skill. And like poker, sometimes cold streaks can seem like forever, but luck is short term - skill is long term in either game.

Not sure what you mean "that's not necessarily true."

The only truth I mention is that it is possible (and has happened in our league) to have the highest amount of total points at the end of the season and not make the playoffs. One could argue that "d'ems the breaks!" Our league does it another way.

I agree that head-to-head match-ups are what make ff a blast; however, if an owner actually had the best team (most points overall,) it seems that a special exception should be made to allow them into the playoffs.

That's not necessarily true. Yes, you can get a good record just by dumb luck, but it usually shows that your team has some sort of consistency. If you have Frank Gore and Chris Johnson you probably have a headstart on that points championship just from two guys in one week, but your team could've put up some duds in other weeks.

Either way, It's gotta be highly unlikely for the highest point total to not make the postseason, but I've seen times where the 2nd or 3rd highest don't make it.

Of course head-to-head matchups lead to many "upsets" in the fantasy playoffs, but that's what makes it fun and somewhat more realistic to real football (such as the 9-7 Cardinals making it to the SB). Yeah it's nice to award the guy with the most regular season points somehow (edit: meant points not record), but giving them the same amount as the playoff champion is kinda dumb IMO.

I am currently playing in a 16 team H2H money league at my job where $300 will be awarded to the league champion and I must say that I like the idea of splitting the pot between the championship match winner and the highest point scorer. As of now I am my league's 2nd highest scorer and one of two teams that is 4-0. I have never been higher than the 3rd highest point scorer in any single week so far, but my team has been pretty solid from week to week. I have scored at least 96 points every week so far with a high of 122. Compare this to other high scorers in my league:

#1 scorer: High score of 135.9, low score of 73.0, 442.1 points total, 3-1 record

#2 scorer (me): High score of 122.1, low score of 96.5, 426.0 points total, 4-0 record

#3 scorer: High score of 109.3, low score of 92.0, 405.6 points total, 1-3 record

#4 scorer: High score of 127.4, low score of 74.2, 405.4 points total, 2-2 record

#5 scorer: High score of 136.8, low score of 75.2, 399.6 points total, 4-0 record

So as you can see its really a matter of catching the right opponent on the right week. There is a ton of luck involved, but there is something to be said about putting your team in the best position possible to succeed. With all that said........It would be a very tough pill to swallow to dominate a league for most of the year then lose out on a large sum of money just because some guy got lucky and had a player go crazy for a 5 TD game in the championship match. I think splitting the pot between the league's highest scorer and the actual championship match winner is the best of both worlds and keeps everyone interested throughout the year.

Not sure what you mean "that's not necessarily true."

I was referring to you saying "Remember that the only true measure of your fantasy football season is your total points at the end of the season" when I said that.

You could have a couple 150-point weeks that give you the edge in total points, but you might've also put up some 50 or 60 point clunkers. I'd say a team that consistently scores in the 90-100 point range (or whatever relative to your scoring system) is "better" than that one.

I agree that total points isn't the best gauge. An inconsistent lineup that scores 60-60-100 isn't necessarily better than a team that consistently scores 70-70-70.

I have seen a couple of interesting formats for leagues that don't like the randomness of HTH matchups each week:

1. You "play" each team each week, so the second highest score in a 12 team league gives you a 10-1 record for that week.

2. HTH format. You get one point for winning. You also get a point if you finish in the top half of points scored that week. That keeps some of the randomness of HTH while still rewarding consistently high scorers who might be getting unlucky matchups.