Sign in to follow this  
MissionCoach

Willie Parker Owners holding or folding?

Mendenhall had a cupcake game vs Detroit and seems to have cemented his hold for now on the starting spot.

Turf toe not looking good for FWP's return.

Are you holding or folding?

Holding for now (luckily my league has an IR that I can stash him on). Trying to make a deal for Mendenhall now.

Provided I get him, I'll drop Parker or sell him for a bag of chips, an upgrade kicker, or something..who knows.

Of course, now that I'm making this proposal, I hear from Tomlin that Parker should be back to practice Wednesday.

I can see it now....this is going to end up being a RBBC and neither back is going to be worth shat. :bandana:

Holding for now.

FWP is playing this week. I would hold for now...

Most of the reports of now still have Mendenhall getting the start and majority of the carries. Are most people buying this? You guys think Mendenhall is going to get the bulk of the carries with FWP back? Just curious what other Mendenhall owners are doing.

Most of the reports of now still have Mendenhall getting the start and majority of the carries. Are most people buying this? You guys think Mendenhall is going to get the bulk of the carries with FWP back? Just curious what other Mendenhall owners are doing.

I think Pitt knows that Mende is the better option at this point but they won't sever ties with FWP that quickly. They only have Parker till the end of the year so they might as well max him out. I see Mendenhall as a guy who might have motivational issues. They lit a fire under his arse and now he's played well but IMO, the only way you keep him going in the right direction is to keep needling him with the FWP presence.

This has got timeshare written all over it if FWP can play somewhat effectively.

I think Pitt knows that Mende is the better option at this point but they won't sever ties with FWP that quickly. They only have Parker till the end of the year so they might as well max him out. I see Mendenhall as a guy who might have motivational issues. They lit a fire under his arse and now he's played well but IMO, the only way you keep him going in the right direction is to keep needling him with the FWP presence.

This has got timeshare written all over it if FWP can play somewhat effectively.

most of the local guys are talking about a 2-1 split in favor of Mendenhall. However, I will say that Willie Parker is a very competitive guy. The challenge of Mendenhall becoming the man may light a fire under his arse too. I still anticipate a fairly even split with the hot hand getting the ball more often.

most of the local guys are talking about a 2-1 split in favor of Mendenhall. However, I will say that Willie Parker is a very competitive guy. The challenge of Mendenhall becoming the man may light a fire under his arse too. I still anticipate a fairly even split with the hot hand getting the ball more often.

Like it's been said here, and I said it earlier this week, this is heading to a LT/Sproles situation, to where we won't know who's getting the yards and TDs, and it will be split between both. An injury to either will be the only thing that will make the other a RB2.

What focking sucks is, if Mendy was the man, he and ADP could take me to the Championship.

I may have to go back to Thomas Jones and his 30yards and goalline work until the Pitts RB mess clears up. :wave:

Like it's been said here, and I said it earlier this week, this is heading to a LT/Sproles situation, to where we won't know who's getting the yards and TDs, and it will be split between both. An injury to either will be the only thing that will make the other a RB2.

If you mean by calling it an LT/Sproles situation that Mendenhall is the more complete back while FWP is more of a backup/3rd down RB, then yes, I agree. FWP was never a complete RB but a stopgap in Pitt.

As a Mendy owner, I'm looking to deal after this weekend. It's not that I think FWP will cut that much into his workload, because I don't. While Parker looks to return this weekend against Cleveland, I think he'll be hampered throughout the rest of the season with his turf toe. He wasn't that effective before the injury. He's not going to be anything special the rest of the way.

I'm dealing Mendenhall after this week because I still don't believe in the guy, and his schedule gets tougher here on out: MIN, BYE, @DEN, CIN, @KC, @BAL, OAK, @CLE, GB, BAL

There's some nice matchups in there: KC & OAK, but the rest aren't really that appetizing. It's not that I think he'll totally suck, but he's my RB5 and I want to shore up my WR2 and will try to target Calvin.

If I had to hang onto him though, I really wouldn't be that concerned with Parker's presence in the backfield going forward....but I wouldn't exactly expect RB2 numbers either.

As a Mendy owner, I'm looking to deal after this weekend. It's not that I think FWP will cut that much into his workload, because I don't. While Parker looks to return this weekend against Cleveland, I think he'll be hampered throughout the rest of the season with his turf toe. He wasn't that effective before the injury. He's not going to be anything special the rest of the way.

I'm dealing Mendenhall after this week because I still don't believe in the guy, and his schedule gets tougher here on out: MIN, BYE, @DEN, CIN, @KC, @BAL, OAK, @CLE, GB, BAL

There's some nice matchups in there: KC & OAK, but the rest aren't really that appetizing. It's not that I think he'll totally suck, but he's my RB5 and I want to shore up my WR2 and will try to target Calvin.

If I had to hang onto him though, I really wouldn't be that concerned with Parker's presence in the backfield going forward....but I wouldn't exactly expect RB2 numbers either.

As many match-ups as you highlighted in RED, you could have just as easily highlighted in Green (@KC, OAK, @CLE).

As many match-ups as you highlighted in RED, you could have just as easily highlighted in Green (@KC, OAK, @CLE).

Maybe. But your brain responds more to red than green. It's why Stop Signs and Firetrucks and Ambulance Lights are all Red. :music_guitarred:

Plus, those are matchups worth avoiding...no matter how the PIT backfield shakes out in the next few weeks. I can't really highlight KC, OAK, CLE green because...well....who does that matchup benefit? Mendenhall? FWP? :dunno:

No matter who's toting the rock for the Steelers, I'm benching their ass against the teams highlighted in Red.

Maybe. But your brain responds more to red than green. It's why Stop Signs and Firetrucks and Ambulance Lights are all Red. :music_guitarred:

Plus, those are matchups worth avoiding...no matter how the PIT backfield shakes out in the next few weeks. I can't really highlight KC, OAK, CLE green because...well....who does that matchup benefit? Mendenhall? FWP? :dunno:

No matter who's toting the rock for the Steelers, I'm benching their ass against the teams highlighted in Red.

You have a little bit of a bias towards the nfc north. Vikings defense is slightly above average, in fact they only have only given up 2 rushing yards less per game than Cincinnati, yet you don't high-lite Cincinnati in red. You have GB in orange, yet there rushing defense is below average, they are 22nd in the league stopping the run.

The schedule isnt as tough as you make it out to be.

You have a little bit of a bias towards the nfc north. Vikings defense is slightly above average, in fact they only have only given up 2 rushing yards less per game than Cincinnati, yet you don't high-lite Cincinnati in red. You have GB in orange, yet there rushing defense is below average, they are 22nd in the league stopping the run.

The schedule isnt as tough as you make it out to be.

Fair enough.

But the Steelers running game will not do anything against the Vikings. I don't care what the numbers say. Neither Mendy nor FWP are the type of back who give the Vikings run D fits. It's a bad matchup, and unless I'm desperate, I'm sitting any Steeler runningback next week. Same goes for BAL and DEN.

Maybe I give GB too much credit. But look at the RBs they've faced thus far: Forte/Benson/SJax/AD....all of whom are at least as formidable as Mendy/FWP or more so. I think it's fair to consider it a neutral matchup....especially considering there may be no true RB1 for the Steelers going forward.

Remember, I'm the one saying I want to divest myself of the PIT running game after this week because I see things becoming a lot murkier going foward. Good matchups become less so because of a potential timeshare. Neutral matchups can't be taken advantage of because no one really knows how the backfield situation will play out. And bad matchups are crippling for the same reason.

Maybe you're right. Maybe the schedule isn't as bad as I make it out to be. Regardless, it's not exactly an optimal schedule either. And with FWP returning, can anyone really predict how the carries will be split...or how Mendenhall will react to a timeshare.....or to better opposing run defenses? Say what you want about the upcoming schedule, but those defenses are all better than the last two he's gone up against.

If you mean by calling it an LT/Sproles situation that Mendenhall is the more complete back while FWP is more of a backup/3rd down RB, then yes, I agree. FWP was never a complete RB but a stopgap in Pitt.

I mean how LT/FWP have both lost a step, and both are fighting injuries, and both have other backs that have shown ability to the point where their both on FF teams,

but neither have an FF valuetremendous value becuase of the other one.

I'm not comparing their lifetime stats.

Fair enough.

But the Steelers running game will not do anything against the Vikings. I don't care what the numbers say. Neither Mendy nor FWP are the type of back who give the Vikings run D fits. It's a bad matchup, and unless I'm desperate, I'm sitting any Steeler runningback next week. Same goes for BAL and DEN.

Maybe I give GB too much credit. But look at the RBs they've faced thus far: Forte/Benson/SJax/AD....all of whom are at least as formidable as Mendy/FWP or more so. I think it's fair to consider it a neutral matchup....especially considering there may be no true RB1 for the Steelers going forward.

Remember, I'm the one saying I want to divest myself of the PIT running game after this week because I see things becoming a lot murkier going foward. Good matchups become less so because of a potential timeshare. Neutral matchups can't be taken advantage of because no one really knows how the backfield situation will play out. And bad matchups are crippling for the same reason.

Maybe you're right. Maybe the schedule isn't as bad as I make it out to be. Regardless, it's not exactly an optimal schedule either. And with FWP returning, can anyone really predict how the carries will be split...or how Mendenhall will react to a timeshare.....or to better opposing run defenses? Say what you want about the upcoming schedule, but those defenses are all better than the last two he's gone up against.

70% Mendenhall

20% MeMo

10 % FWP

Mike Tomlin doesnt use a RBBC. He has been quoted a couple times stating that he likes to use 1 back so that they can get the "feel of the game", or something to that effect.

FWP was a complete back

1400 total yards in 2005

1700 total yards in 2006

1600 total yards in 2007

He just doesnt have the lucky genetics that a RB needs to have to stay healthy for many seasons like a portis or an LT.

that's the problem, Willie isn't a 3rd down back. Dude rarely catches passes and isn't a good blocker in the passing game. Willie isn't big, isn't instinctive, doesn't have good hands and doesn't block all that well. He's gotten better at the blocking over the years. Three years ago when the line was blowing open holes he was deadly. But now that the line isn't as strong, his deficiencies get exposed. Mendenhalls skill set is light years better than FWP, I'm just not sure he has Willie's drive and motivation.

Mike Tomlin doesnt use a RBBC. He has been quoted a couple times stating that he likes to use 1 back so that they can get the "feel of the game", or something to that effect.

Guess who he names the starter will be key!!!

that's the problem, Willie isn't a 3rd down back. Dude rarely catches passes and isn't a good blocker in the passing game. Willie isn't big, isn't instinctive, doesn't have good hands and doesn't block all that well. He's gotten better at the blocking over the years. Three years ago when the line was blowing open holes he was deadly. But now that the line isn't as strong, his deficiencies get exposed. Mendenhalls skill set is light years better than FWP, I'm just not sure he has Willie's drive and motivation.

Well said. Parker's best hope imo is to get about ten carries a game. Worst case scenario for FWP would be a repeat of what happened with Ricky Watters and Shaun Alexander several years ago. Watters got hurt, SA tore it up, and Watters' injury mysteriously lingered for the rest of the season.

I'm tracking with you on FWP not being a good matchup for the Minny D but Mendy is a big, strong, tackle-breaking RB with a burst. He's exactly the kind of RB that could give the Minny D fits.

You're right of FWP. I was wrong to call him a 3rd down type. Moore is that guy. FWP has been an overrachiever for the past couple years but I still believe he's been a stopgap.

The Steelers have announced that Parker will wear a "special shoe" this weekend, designed by Nike to insulate his turf toe.

Now, I may be biased because Mendy solved my FF running back woes as well as PITT's. And as another poster pointed out, Lewis got the start over Harrison despite his yeoman's job for Cleveland. Lynch as supplanted a Fred Jackson who was putting up good numbers. However, I cannot and will not believe that Mendenhall will be chased back to the bench by a guy in a special shoe. I plan to start Mendy even if Parker is announced as the starter. Are you with me, Mendenhall owners? The wrost that can happen is that FWP limps for 7 yards on 5 carries before taking his rightful place as a spectator.

The Steelers have announced that Parker will wear a "special shoe" this weekend, designed by Nike to insulate his turf toe.

Now, I may be biased because Mendy solved my FF running back woes as well as PITT's. And as another poster pointed out, Lewis got the start over Harrison despite his yeoman's job for Cleveland. Lynch as supplanted a Fred Jackson who was putting up good numbers. However, I cannot and will not believe that Mendenhall will be chased back to the bench by a guy in a special shoe. I plan to start Mendy even if Parker is announced as the starter. Are you with me, Mendenhall owners? The wrost that can happen is that FWP limps for 7 yards on 5 carries before taking his rightful place as a spectator.

I'm not risking it. If mendy is listed as started ill start him even if Willie is supposed to play. if willie is listed as the start I am going to put in Sims-Walker.

Obviously ill pay attention to the practice reports and if Willie has a set back then mendy is going in even if willie is announced starter

well this makes things a bit more interesting:

Mendenhall misses practice Thursday: Steelers RB Rashard Mendenhall has missed practice with flu-like symptoms, allowing Willie Parker to get more carries with the starters as he returns from a two-week layoff with a toe injury. Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians says whether Mendenhall or Parker will get the majority of the carries Sunday against Cleveland likely won't be decided until game time. Mendenhall, a first-round draft pick last year, ran for 165 yards against San Diego and 77 against Detroit after Parker injured his left big toe Sept. 27 against Cincinnati. The Steelers are hopeful Mendenhall can practice Friday.

(Updated 10/15/2009).

well this makes things a bit more interesting:

Mendenhall misses practice Thursday: Steelers RB Rashard Mendenhall has missed practice with flu-like symptoms, allowing Willie Parker to get more carries with the starters as he returns from a two-week layoff with a toe injury. Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians says whether Mendenhall or Parker will get the majority of the carries Sunday against Cleveland likely won't be decided until game time. Mendenhall, a first-round draft pick last year, ran for 165 yards against San Diego and 77 against Detroit after Parker injured his left big toe Sept. 27 against Cincinnati. The Steelers are hopeful Mendenhall can practice Friday.

(Updated 10/15/2009).

:doublethumbsup:

i have heard WP will be the starter this week and will go back to the way it was to start the season where he will get most carries 60/40 split with some moore thrown in....... but can never go on anything till game time....... good luck to owners of both

I dropped FWP on Wednesday because I needed a bye week fill in WR. I was fine with the move because all the reports were saying Mendy was going to start and get all the carries. Now it's like flipped and Mendy is hurt and FWP is likely to start. Doh! :overhead:

i have heard WP will be the starter this week and will go back to the way it was to start the season where he will get most carries 60/40 split with some moore thrown in....... but can never go on anything till game time....... good luck to owners of both

Link please.

Not much new but an update for today, looking shady for Mendenhall:

Steelers' Mendenhall has illness that puts his status in doubt

By Scott Brown

TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Friday, October 16, 2009

Mendenhall's illness puts his status in doubt

The Steelers sent running back Rashard Mendenhall home Thursday because of an illness, putting into question how much he will be able to play Sunday against the visiting Browns.

Mendenhall has started the past two games for the injured Willie Parker (turf toe) and rushed for 242 yards and three touchdowns.

If the illness is a lingering one and limits Mendenhall in the 1 p.m. game, the Steelers will probably be able to lean on Parker.

Parker was a full participant in drills again yesterday.

Said offensive coordinator Bruce Arians: "He's looked real good in practice."

Arians said if both Parker and Mendenhall are close to full strength Sunday, it will be a game-time decision as to how the Steelers use them in the backfield.

"I'd like to have both of them out there," Arians said.

Parker has been wearing a specially-designed shoe that limits the movement of his injured toe.

The sixth-year veteran has rushed for 159 yards this season but is only averaging 3.1 yards per carry.

"Aaron's a guy, he just doesn't get blocked. But we've got good depth on the defensive line, and I know those guys will step in and do a good job. There's only one Aaron Smith, but I think we'll function very well with the guys we've got."

— Defensive coordinator ###### LeBeau on replacing Aaron Smith, who sustained a season-ending shoulder injury, at left defensive end.

this is why i focking hate 12 team leagues.

I never know who to focking use :lol:

I never know who to focking use :(

Really? 12 team leagues are dee best imo, not so small that every team is loaded, but big enough where you have to use your brain/gut/coin-flip every week to determine who to start, rather than only using your noodle on draft day, and starting the same guys week after week. :lol:

I never know who to focking use :music_guitarred:

Can't handle playing with the big boys, eh. Figures. :music_guitarred:

Mendenhall back at practice, expects to play Sunday

By Joe Starkey

TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Friday, October 16, 2009

Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall, who missed practice Thursday because of illness, returned today and was a full participant.

Mendenhall expects to play Sunday against the Cleveland Browns, but does not know how playing time will be split between him and Willie Parker, who is expected to return after missing the past two games with turf foe.

"It all depends on what's going on, who's hot, play selection," Mendenhall said. "I won't really know until game time."

Mendenhall gained 242 yards in his two starts. Would he be disappointed if he didn't start Sunday?

"Not at all," he said. "It really doesn't matter, I don't think. However this game's played, I'm sure we're both going to be out there."

As a Mendy owner, I'm not worried about Parker's "special shoe." No shoe, I don't care if it's made by Florsheim, can give Willie back the step he's lost. This flu thing worries me, though. What if Mendy relapses after the rigors of today's practice? I think he can play through some residual fatigue, but if he can't hold his cookies, he'll be a Sunday inactive. I'm keeping the faith, though, as it's either Mendy or Leon Washington, whom I have suspected of having the flu based on his stats.