Sign in to follow this  
McPhreak

What NFL Commentator cliche irritates you the most?

I think mine has to be "gunslinger/gunslinger mentality". First it was used to exclusively swing from Brett Favre's jock despite throwing up so many picks ("He's got that gunslinger mentality!") Now, it's basically just another way for commentators to describe every sh!tty QB that throws up too many picks. Can't they just describe these QB's for what they are?

little off topic, but I hate when Stewart Scott says "as cool as the other side of the pillow".... I wanna punch him in his lazy eye repeatedly when I hear it

anything that anyone on ESPN says especially stuart scott and chris berman

"At the end of the day..."

"And oh by the way...."

"The Peyton Manning's, the Tom Brady's,....."

little off topic, but I hate when Stewart Scott says "as cool as the other side of the pillow".... I wanna punch him in his lazy eye repeatedly when I hear it

he doesn't even have to say anything. the eye alone makes me wanna hit him with a shovel.

'Vince Young just wins.........' has to be the one I hate the most.

'If only had receivers to throw to.....' Man, the good/great QBs (Brady, Manning, etc) can throw to anyone. Some WR make a QB look a lot better than they are (Moss - Culpepper). Commentators have said this about Vick, McNabb, JaMarcus Russell, Vince Young...........see the trend? :doublethumbsup:

'Bill Belichick is a genius......' No, actually he's not. He is a great coach at times, but he's not a genius.

That fat fock Siragusa and his "....does a great job of...", and Daryl Johnston says the exact same stupid phrase. Those two idiots almost always work together so one game can have "..does a great job..." dozens of times. Should be a drinking game.

any time a D-lineman deflects a pass...

"look at so-and-so getting his big paw up there" as if he is a bear or something...

The way Dierdorf, at some point in the season, says every single player is "one of the best in the league"

"That was a gutsy, gutsy play" Deardorf lazy s's and all.

Thanks for reminding me why I don't listen to this crap anymore. Years ago you could listened to these guys and you could actually learn something. The NFL has changed from promoting football to promoting personalities.

"They'll be pinning their ears back" Everyone says it..and what the hell does it even mean???? Well I know what it's supposed to mean but geez

The way Dierdorf, at some point in the season, says every single player is "one of the best in the league"

Dierdorf is the best colour guy on any network. He has his cliches and his lisp, admittedly, but his praise is good without being superfluous, his criticism real but not obtuse, his descriptions honest.

Dan is the man.

Just listen to any MNF game, anything out of the mouth of Collinsworth (idiot), or any Thursday night game, and... it's not as good colour as Dan.

I don't mind Fouts, either.

BTW, Al Michaels, best play-by-play guy by a zillion umpteen gahjillion miles.

I think mine has to be "gunslinger/gunslinger mentality". First it was used to exclusively swing from Brett Favre's jock despite throwing up so many picks ("He's got that gunslinger mentality!") Now, it's basically just another way for commentators to describe every sh!tty QB that throws up too many picks. Can't they just describe these QB's for what they are?

When anyone says stuff like "...take it one game at a time..." Well, no shite!

Or..."Every game is a big game..."

Or anytime a player is desribed as if they were animals. This peeve is probably woosyish but when I hear "He has a wingspen..." or "He runs like a gazelle..." or "...deer in the headlights" it just gets me.

The NFL needs more "BOOM goes the dynamite".

Cleveland!!

I hate when they give undue praise to a guy "for knowing where the first down marker is" or a player being real "heady" for running out of bounds when time is running out in the half or game.This is the game they play their profession for christ sakes.........thats like giving a ditch-digger love for identifying a shovel :thumbsup:

I hate when they give undue praise to a guy "for knowing where the first down marker is" or a player being real "heady" for running out of bounds when time is running out in the half or game.This is the game they play their profession for christ sakes.........thats like giving a ditch-digger love for identifying a shovel :wave:

The NFL continues to find new ways to celebrate mediocrity.

Last night, in the final seconds, the commentator is "and for the 2nd straight Thursday night game it will come down to the final play".

Oh how easily we forget - last Thusday's game, though in doubt perhaps until the last, was a bucket of rocks.

A bucket of rocks with maybe, what, 3 whole squirts of pi$$? There is polishing the stone, and then there are straight up LIES.

they refer to white players as "hardworking, lunchpale" guys who never quit. it is like a code.

LMAO. ur so right. off subject but it reminds me of Larry Bird saying the same thing about the guys he's bringing to the pacers. what he wants to say is we know you quit coming to the games beacuse you dont like the thugs we had here before, so here are some white alter boys. please come. Look our rookie will battle his ass off on the court and will find your lost puppy!

Dierdorf is the best colour guy on any network. He has his cliches and his lisp, admittedly, but his praise is good without being superfluous, his criticism real but not obtuse, his descriptions honest.

Dan is the man.

Just listen to any MNF game, anything out of the mouth of Collinsworth (idiot), or any Thursday night game, and... it's not as good colour as Dan.

I don't mind Fouts, either.

BTW, Al Michaels, best play-by-play guy by a zillion umpteen gahjillion miles.

Dan- honey, when you get done playing on the computer, can you take the garbage out. Also did you remember to return the videos, they were due back tonight. oh and while your out can you grab some milk, we're almost out.

Thanks!

BTW, i cant seem to find the thesaurus any where, have you seen it?

oh dont forget to pick the kids up from school tomorrow, i'll be out with Chris- dont wait up! ask Al if he wants to stay for dinner.

they refer to white players as "hardworking, lunchpale" guys who never quit. it is like a code.

Haha, I know. And I think they will be saying this for years.

I've watched more than a few of the Vikings games this year and I can't tell you how many times they refer to Jared Allen's "motor" or how "hardworking" he is. Yet I could could count on one hand alone, how many times they referred to him being an unbelievable athlete, and one of the top athletes at his position. :cry:

Jim Nantz and the way he refers to injuries:

"So and so is out with a knee"

"XYZ is out with an ankle"

I have two knees and two ankles....does that mean I should be in the ICU? :doublethumbsup:

Dan- honey, when you get done playing on the computer, can you take the garbage out. Also did you remember to return the videos, they were due back tonight. oh and while your out can you grab some milk, we're almost out.

Thanks!

oh dont forget to pick the kids up from school tomorrow, i'll be out with Chris- dont wait up! ask Al if he wants to stay for dinner.

Your sarcasm isn't appreciated.

Furthermore, it isn't very clever, dum-dum.

If you disagree, indicate as to why.

'Vince Young just wins.........' has to be the one I hate the most.

1. +1, as it's used with any mediocre QB who happens to play on a team with a great running game and defense.

2. "They need to run more - they're 15-0 when RB XYZ rushes 20 times or more in a game" comments. Teams that run don't win. Teams that are winning run. He's getting 20+ carries because they're running out the clock in the 4th quarter.

3. And what's the key to success? A player who "gives 110%", or a player who "stays within himself"?

I hate it when some of them say 3rd and long when it is 3rd and 5 or 6.

I also think some of those stats they give out are just ridiculous. Like GB has never lost a Sunday night game when the temperature is between 15 and 20 degrees or something.

Your sarcasm isn't appreciated.

Furthermore, it isn't very clever, dum-dum.

If you disagree, indicate as to why.

Chil dude. It wasn't personal. And BTW- It WAS funny.

The Wide Receiver was actually the defensive back on that play!

Yeah thanks for that analysis Captain Obvious fukko...never heard that one before. <_<

"Now HERE'S a guy........"

By every freaking sports talk radio host, color commentator, and sports achor on the friggin planet.

This guy isn't on tv but rather on Sirius NFL channel, Adam Shyne (sp) he has a couple of catch phrases that when said I want to ram my truck right into the vehicle in front of me!!!!!

announcer - "it's a football friday"

Shyne - "Oh yes it is!"

Shyne - " 2 phenomenal hours in the books, two more hours of your outstanding phones calls and ..."

:doublethumbsup: The reason you can't find the thesaurus is because Dan can't say thesaurus :overhead: