Sign in to follow this  
HTH

Finally bought an HDTV - What's the story with HDMI cables?

It's a Samsung LN40B630 40-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LCD HDTV with Red Touch of Color.

$799 plus tax

What kind of HDMI cables should I get?

The ones linked below are $9.99 marked down from $59.99:

Category 2 Certified - High-Speed 10.2 gbps / 340 MHz (Supports up to 240hz Refresh Rates and 48-Bit Deep Color).

Version 1.3 Certified - Supports all new HDMI advanced

features such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master AudioTM.

Supports 1080p FullHD Resolution.

Fully Shielded Heavy Duty 28 Gauge Premium Grade Cable with Soft PVC Jacket.

Gold Plated Shielded Connectors.

Do you think they are sufficient? Or will expensive ($50+) HDMI cables really make a significant difference?

Suggestions/Thoughts?

TIA

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Ultra-Ve...G/ref=de_a_smtd

HDMI is HDMI. One is just as good as the next. Brands like Monster are just marketed really well so woman think they'll perform better.

i reckon you'll be fine with those. from what i know, once they are hdmi certified...there's no difference. so monster, etc...are the biggest ripoff known to man. i've always used monoprice.com cables and had no problem. even compared 'em to friend's monster cables. no differences. there's stuff on the intraweb about what a farce "high-end" hdmi cables are.

enjoy :music_guitarred:

The cables linked are fine. 10.2GBps is good for your television and what you're likely using them for. If you can find a 14.9 GBps version, though, I'd spring for that. It's not worth spending an extra $10 more for as there really isn't anything that will use up all that bandwidth, but I've always liked having the fastest things.

Agreed. That "Gold plated" CRAP means nothing. :music_guitarred:

That's actually pretty important. Gold is the best room temperature conductor, but it's also the most resistant to corrosion.

...but since the ones he linked have gold plated connectors, it doesn't matter.

That's actually pretty important. Gold is the best room temperature conductor, but it's also the most resistant to corrosion.

...but since the ones he linked have gold plated connectors, it doesn't matter.

Yup! What he said :music_guitarred:

It is a tip that if you're stupid enough to buy 24 carat gold cables for more than what your TV cost then I hope your TV explodes and you along with it.

For the most part, HDMI cables are all the same.

However, if you are planning to run a long HDMI cable (over 15ft) you should go with a better cable.

Also, if you are putting the cable in the wall then you may want to spend a little more, as cheaper cables sometimes do fail. It's a calculated risk.

Panasonic Viera 42" TC-P42X1 720P Plasma HDTV + Xbox 360 Elite Holiday Bundle + Avatar: The Game $700.00

the lowest Google Products for the Panasonic Viera HDTV is $572, for the Xbox 360 Elite Bundle is $300, and Avatar: The Game is $55 = $927 if purchased separately.

will i need a 3-pack?

Always get at least one extra. Some of the problems with the cheaper cables are that they don't last as long. If you have an extra one floating around, you can always swap them out to see if you have a cable problem. For that price, it is worth it.

I just bought two 8 footers for $2.50 each.

will i need a 3-pack?

You don't need three but you never know. I have one for bluray and cable box. And one for DVD in bedroom. So for a good deal, why not?

just go with a component connection :thumbsup:

just go with a component connection :lol:

Because then he has to also get an optical audio cable if he's hooking it up to a decent surround sound system.

I am using 6 HDMI cables in my setup and 2 optical audio cables it's always nice to have extra.

My TV has 3 HDMI inputs which I use 2 and I have a controller using 4.

Controller

Cable Box

52" HD TV

PS3

Blu Ray Player

DVD Player

HD DVD (it looks good, i don't have it plugged in)

I have a seperate blue ray player and a seperate dvd player, because I dont want to wear out the PS3 playing movies and I dont want to wear out the blu ray player playing regular dvds.