Sign in to follow this  
illest

Who Dey, Who Dat

A couple of years ago I was surprised by the stupid "who dey think they can beat them bengals" slogan. Then comes the "who dat think they can beat them saints" slogan.

Am I missing something? How do teams and fans actually rally around a saying so stupid, something that makes the entire fan base look like white trash idiots? the "who dat" nation -- are you kidding? I really hope I am missing something. Also, idiocy aside - did the Saints just blatently steal the Bengals slogan?

as far as i know, the Bengals was around first and its something to the effect of

"who dey? who dey? who dey think gonna beat them bengals? noooooobody!"

which honestly i have no problem with. Its urbanized but it still makes sense... Dey is They

I am less familiar with the Saints but I have heard of "who dat" and to me that makes no sense, especially if they ripped it off the Bengals... Dat to me would be "That".

Who "That" think gonna beat them Saints?

that is just nonsensical.

Let's ask WIKIPEDIA...here is what they had to say:

"Who Dat"

The chant of "Who Dat?" originated in minstrel shows and vaudeville acts of the late 1800s and early 1900s, and was then taken up by jazz and big band performers in the 1920s and 30s.

The first reference to "Who Dat?" can be found in the 19th Century.

"Who Dey"

The Who Dey chant's first known use was by fans of the 1980 Cincinnati Bengals. It is similar to the phrase "Who Dat?" used by the New Orleans Saints since 1983. The chant of “Who dat? Who dat say they gonna beat dem - - ” originated in minstrel shows and vaudeville acts in the late 1800s and early 1900s, then was taken up by jazz and big band folks in the 1920s and 1930s, then was adapted by Southern University and the public schools in New Orleans in the 1960s and 1970s. There is a long-standing debate over which fanbase originated the chant.

Looks to me like "Who Dat?" actually has a history linking it to New Orleans by Jazz and Big Bands dating back to the 1920's. On the other hand, it looks to me like "Who Dey?" is just something Bengal Fans made up in 1980.

Asked, and Answered...although neither makes much sense...

Let's ask WIKIPEDIA...here is what they had to say:

"Who Dat"

The chant of "Who Dat?" originated in minstrel shows and vaudeville acts of the late 1800s and early 1900s, and was then taken up by jazz and big band performers in the 1920s and 30s.

The first reference to "Who Dat?" can be found in the 19th Century.

"Who Dey"

The Who Dey chant's first known use was by fans of the 1980 Cincinnati Bengals. It is similar to the phrase "Who Dat?" used by the New Orleans Saints since 1983. The chant of “Who dat? Who dat say they gonna beat dem - - ” originated in minstrel shows and vaudeville acts in the late 1800s and early 1900s, then was taken up by jazz and big band folks in the 1920s and 1930s, then was adapted by Southern University and the public schools in New Orleans in the 1960s and 1970s. There is a long-standing debate over which fanbase originated the chant.

Looks to me like "Who Dat?" actually has a history linking it to New Orleans by Jazz and Big Bands dating back to the 1920's. On the other hand, it looks to me like "Who Dey?" is just something Bengal Fans made up in 1980.

Asked, and Answered...although neither makes much sense...

nice

but still sounds like from a football standpoint, the Bengals "Who dey?" was first.

but the Saints isn't just a rip if it has those deep roots in NO and jazz.

cool

nice

but still sounds like from a football standpoint, the Bengals "Who dey?" was first.

cool

The Bengals use of the phrase may have been first, but it was definitely a copy of New Orleans slang. In fact, I think the Bengals started using it during their Super Bowl appearance in New Orleans. I personally think it's stupid and wish the Saints would copyright it or something.

Who cares?

Exactly. No one.

Plus, it drives me crazy when I hear people say "dat" instead of "that" and "dem" instead of "them". It's just stupid.

Exactly. No one.

Plus, it drives me crazy when I hear people say "dat" instead of "that" and "dem" instead of "them". It's just stupid.

I'm with you. I can't stand it when a Teams Fight Song or chant has any form of "slang", or words other than the Kings English. "Dat" is a great example, and I'll give you another:

"Skol, Vikings": Skol (written "skål" in Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish and "skál" in Faroese and Icelandic or "skaal" in transliteration of any of those languages) is the Danish/Norwegian/Swedish word for cheers, a salute or a toast, as to an admired person or group. The meaning of the Scandinavian skalli/skalle: skal means simply "shell" and skál/skål "bowl".

As for the game tonight, you probably won't like "dat" either....I'm just guessing...

Who Dat thinks "Da Bears" is also stupid? :mad:

I posted with Bill Swerski. I had flame wars with Bill Swerski. Bill Swerski was an enemy of mine. Blue Barbarian, you are no Bill Swerski.

I don't mind skol so much because it's an actual word, even if it's not English. "Dat" is not a word in any language.

You're also right, as a Vikings fan, I'm hoping the "Who Dat Nation" falls tonight.

In high school in Houston in the eighties we had a cheer in basketball games, I was on the court my junior and senior year, that went

"Who dat gonna beat dem Wildcats? Who dat? Who dat?" repeat......

Get a big crowd doing it and it is pretty intimidating, especially in a high school gym... I doubt we came up with it, but hadn't heard it before I got to high school.

So it has been around for 20 +years.

In Lousiana they say "dat" for they and "dey" for they, only true accent I truly think is cool from a dude.

"Dey gawwin dawn to nawlins ta eat dem some bugs." :pointstosky:

:pointstosky:

All this cajun slang just consolidates the stereotype of Lousiana folks as a bunch of gator-baitin' backwater illiterates. They should use a cheer like "Press on down the field, fellows!" That sounds like something you'd hear at the Harvard-Yale game, and would counter the popular image of Louisiana derived primarily from ALL THE KING'S MEN.

nice

cool

I think the Bengals actually got it from an LSU player they drafted. i think the saying is the illest!

EVERYONE in Louisiana is drunk and illiterate.

Yep! And we be happy!!!! WHO DAT!!!!!

to me it sounds as stupid as when some idiot says..

AXE him a question :banana: every time i hear someone say that i want to slap them in the face

In the words of the great Sgt Hulka... "Lighten up Francis."

If it bothers you that much, then you are the problem... not people speaking differently from different parts of the world, in the form of chants which are for the most part never gramatically correct in any form to begin with.

In the words of the great Sgt Hulka... "Lighten up Francis."

If it bothers you that much, then you are the problem... not people speaking differently from different parts of the world, in the form of chants which are for the most part never gramatically correct in any form to begin with.

your not talking to me :banana: I guess i dont really have a problem with "who dat" but i do have a problem when someone purposely says "AXE" and not freaking "ASK" :overhead:

The term "Who Dat" in terms of football, started at a New Orleans High School in the 1950's. St Augustine fans used the term when they were winning games. It evolved from there and was used by a few other high schools around the state. The Saints fans started using it in the 1980's when they started winning. I didn't like it at first, but when you're drunk and happy, it's easy to remember the words. You also have to understand that they mix the 'Who Dat' words in with the ' When The Saints Go Marching In' song.

AXE him a question :doublethumbsup: every time i hear someone say that i want to slap them in the face

I've got cousins in Baton Rouge; they always seem to end their jokes by saying "axe yo momma" :overhead:

I've got cousins in Baton Rouge; they always seem to end their jokes by saying "axe yo momma" :huh:

Its fine when someone says it joking around but when someone uses it in a normal sentence and speaking to someone they dont know it makes them sound like a dam IDIOT :wave: By no means am i an English professor but dam some people sound like fools.

"who dat" is cool for football but just dont use it everyday