Sign in to follow this  
RLLD

Wilfork just wants financial security

Rink

Free Agent DT Admits Playing In Florida Would Be A "Dream"

New England NT Vince Wilfork has been the good soldier long enough. This offseason the two-time Pro Bowl selection either wants some financial security, or he wants to be set free by the Patriots. Wilfork, who starred at Santaluces High School and the University of Miami, said he and his representatives have been badgering the Patriots for a contract extension the past two seasons, but the talks were never fruitful. He knows the Patriots will likely place a franchise tag on him instead of offering the long-term contract he desperately seeks for family security. And if they do so Wilfork said he's prepared to play hardball. Wilfork, who has started 80 games for the past six seasons, wasn't shy about admitting that playing in Florida - either for the Dolphins or Tampa Bay - would be "a dream come true." The Dolphins need to address the nose tackle position because of Jason Ferguson's age, season-ending quadriceps injury, and free agent status. (South Florida Sun-Sentinel)

Hey Vince, take the fistfulls of money you have been making over the years and invest them wisely. Unless, of course, you are just trying to gouge soem team just as you know your skills are going to decline to cash out in some way....

Using the "just trying to feed my family" BULLLLLLLSH!!!!T.....is old hat brother..... :dunno:

I would first want to hear what he is asking for before I condemned him on this one. He has been a pretty good soldier and has been playing for 6 years under his rookie contract. He is (one of?) the last guys to be allowed to have a 6 year rookie contract.

I don't blame him for wanting a pay day. Even though he is looking at about $7M in a tag situation, but he could probably get $35M+ in guaranteed money if he were a true free agent. That is not chump change.

Wilfork has done everything right up to this point.

He was making small change for a player of his caliber and he honored that long-term rookie deal.

Now he wants to get his pay day via Signing Bonus and long term contract.

Can you blame him?

And the flip side is why SHOULD the Pats give him a big signing bonus and long term deal when the Franchise Tag is smartest thing for them to do as an organization?

I don't see this one ending pretty.

Wilfork will feel justified with whatever he does because he honored his rookie contract.

NE will feel justified with whatever they do because it is their responsibility to do what's best for the organization and that rarely involves any emotion.

And the final outcome may simply rely on the fact that NE is no longer a true 3-4 defense and if you are NOT a 3-4 defense, you should NOT be paying outrageous money to a NT ideal for a 3-4 scheme.

Like anyone, Vince is looking out for himself. That being said, in todays pass-happy NFL, how much is too much to pay for giant defensive tackles? Arent teams tired of getting burned on these monster deals that often come back to haunt them? You'd think they'd learn after a while.

IMO. there is a happy medium here. I say Vince gets a good-sized deal but it has to have some incentives - like games played or something like that. If they just throw him bucketfulls of money there is a good chance he'll just consider it a retirement account and get fat and lazy. Weve seem this before, too many times Im afraid.

Like anyone, Vince is looking out for himself. That being said, in todays pass-happy NFL, how much is too much to pay for giant defensive tackles? Arent teams tired of getting burned on these monster deals that often come back to haunt them? You'd think they'd learn after a while.

IMO. there is a happy medium here. I say Vince gets a good-sized deal but it has to have some incentives - like games played or something like that. If they just throw him bucketfulls of money there is a good chance he'll just consider it a retirement account and get fat and lazy. Weve seem this before, too many times Im afraid.

Good point :huh: :wave:

How much did Haynseworth and all his millions help the Redskins? Give him a nice contract with incentives and he will continue to play hard and make his $$$$. To many players now a days if they get guaranteed money they dont seem as motivated :Mr-T:

Wow, Vince is in a bad spot. His contract is up when everything is up in the air as far as player contracts go, teams have no incentive to go out and bid high on players, and if there's one position where there's actually free agent talent available to be signed this year it's DT.

Plus, the Patriots traded the best player on his defense (that just happened to take the double-teams off Vince) away at the beginning of the season.

Ouch.

I guess the Pats made the smart business move by not giving him a long-term contract up until now and, as has been pointed out here, will probably franchise him. If they do that, I can see him either tanking the 2010 season or causing problems (media, locker room, etc).

would have been nice if they signed Asante Samuel

lets see if they make the same mistake and franchise Wilform, piss him off and then he'll leave after next year.

Pats fan and happy to have him on our team.

I have some questions though:

Do the Pats plan on continuing to run the 3-4 primarily?

Are there other nose tackles than can fill the position well enough?

Does this position's weight level overshadow the long term investment?

Can that $ be spent better?

The Pat's return leverage is shrinking, but is that worth having him 1 more year?

The Insanity Workout contains a high-level energy workout plan that will assure you of apparent results in sixty days. It also comes with an insanity schedule that will help you monitor your development as well as Nutritional plan that will help you figure out the food that you need to eat over the course of the regime.

would have been nice if they signed Asante Samuel

lets see if they make the same mistake and franchise Wilform, piss him off and then he'll leave after next year.

He says he wants security for his family and says he will be pissed off if they franchise him :thumbsdown: If they franchise him he will get paid millions so he should shut his big fat mouth and be happy is going to get paid millions no matter what :thumbsup:

He says he wants security for his family and says he will be pissed off if they franchise him :wacko: If they franchise him he will get paid millions so he should shut his big fat mouth and be happy is going to get paid millions no matter what :dunno:

And if he hurts himself during the franchise year he would never have any chance to play for the lucrative contract that he deserves a shot at. He is not asking for the ###### moon here. He just wants HIS FIRST contract since his rookie one. Tell me you would not do the same and I am going to flat out call you a liar.

And if he hurts himself during the franchise year he would never have any chance to play for the lucrative contract that he deserves a shot at. He is not asking for the ###### moon here. He just wants HIS FIRST contract since his rookie one. Tell me you would not do the same and I am going to flat out call you a liar.

I agree with you that he should have a shot to land that first big contract but...

could we define THE MOON please?

Wilfork will be looking for HUGE money... Haynesworth money.

Sure id probably do the same but i would not be very upset with franchise tag and the MILLIONS that come with it :wacko: Big defensive linemen should not get huge contracts like Haynesworth :dunno:

I agree with you that he should have a shot to land that first big contract but...

could we define THE MOON please?

Wilfork will be looking for HUGE money... Haynesworth money.

Can we wait until he actually says what he is looking for? From what I remember, Wilfork indicated last year when Haynesworth signed that he would not be looking for that kind of dough.

I think that people are speculating as to what the negotiations are going to look like even before they have become public.

Wilfork is a fat ****. I can't believe they survive past 26.

He signed the contract (or tag in this case), he can honor it/deal with it. I respect one of our best players - but we hold his rights and we can do whatever the **** we want!

These guys make millions in a one year deal. And they want security. WHY is that I wonder? Because pro dumb fock athletes cannot SAVE or moderate their own EXPENSES.

Wilfork is a fat ****. I can't believe they survive past 26.

He signed the contract (or tag in this case), he can honor it/deal with it. I respect one of our best players - but we hold his rights and we can do whatever the **** we want!

These guys make millions in a one year deal. And they want security. WHY is that I wonder? Because pro dumb fock athletes cannot SAVE or moderate their own EXPENSES.

Finally, the voice of reason in this thread.

Finally, the voice of reason in this thread.

He is a monster. But his big mouth gets on my nerves lately. Bitching about a new deal isn't going to help you any in NE.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=tsn-...n&type=lgns

And with that douche by his side he will probably be out of town. I still remember Samuel going "Philly was my best chance at a ring" after leaving NE for Philly! :mad:

Way too early to be judging the guy, IMO.

If he's asked a question, what do people want his answer to be, for crying out loud?

He's answering questions in an honest manner, and people are all over his sh!t about it?

He's a pro bowl DT, in his prime, and he's played out his initial six year deal.

Give him a focking break already. :pointstosky:

i have no problem with this.

i understand the "need to feed my family" excuse is garbage considering even the players who are lowest on the totem poll make a good living. But I try to remember that agents, media, fans, merchandise, ticket sales etc etc etc have driven up these salaries and you really can't fault a guy for wanting a contract that is more in line with what a player of his quality should be making.

If he sees player X Y and Z making a certain amount of money and knows that his stats and productivity are in line with them if not better than them, why shouldn't he want to be compensated in a similar manner? Especially after honoring his rookie contract?