Sign in to follow this  
DAVID RUFFIN

Help me gain weight

I doubt if you guys & gals remember that last October I shared that I had a very serious surgery scheduled [Whipple procedure] Pre surgery I weighed 194, the surgery was a success but at one point my weight dropped to 156. I'm 6.1 and looked like a POW. I'm now at 172 but my weight gain has stalled. Any of you guys have a suggestion on how to pack on about 10 or15 pounds. I have a good appetite including munchies but I seem to have peaked. :thumbsdown:

I've had the Hardees Monster Thickburger, I've also gone the beer,bacon and Jets wife route with no success. :dunno:

uh, first of all...holy crap. Whipple procedure? Congrats on still being here.

I would recommend protein shakes to help build muscle mass, along with generous helpings of pasta.

Also, dine out regularly at Cheesecake Factory. They specialize in uber-calorie meals.

Drink lots of Obama koolaid. :doublethumbsup:

Eat 3 meals a day and cover them all in fried cheese. You'll either gain weight or die tryin! :doublethumbsup:

Become someone's wife.

:lol:

uh, first of all...holy crap. Whipple procedure? Congrats on still being here.

I would recommend protein shakes to help build muscle mass, along with generous helpings of pasta.

Also, dine out regularly at Cheesecake Factory. They specialize in uber-calorie meals.

If the Whipple procedure wasn't risky enough, they told me 3 things could happen that could be a potential disaster. pneumonia, infection or the sutures not holding. 4 days after the surgery I developed pneumonia. My wife was called at 10:30 at night and told that she should get to the the hospital. I didn't know until weeks later that it was touch and go. 2 weeks later an infection set in. I was re-admitted to the hospital to fight my way through that disaster. I was told that it could take up to a year to be fully recovered. I'm getting there minus the weight gain. Thanks for the advise, I'm going to take you up on the protein shakes.

lots of bad carbs and empty calories.

lots of sugary drinks too.

this will spike you energy levels, but when you crash you will need a pick me up. so just repeat steps 1 & 2

add things to foods too. like mayo, salad dressing, choclate sauce, whipped cream and my favorite topping...............butter or is it bacon?

this will spike you energy levels, but when you crash you will need a pick me up. so just repeat steps 1 & 2

add things to foods too. like mayo, salad dressing, choclate sauce, whipped cream and my favorite topping...............butter or is it bacon?

I've done the above but I seem to have peaked. Maybe 170 is as good as it gets. I just hope that nobody kicks sand in my face at the beach.

I couldn't eat one by myself but tonight is definitely pizza night. To bad Kansas City pizza sucks. :lol:

Meybe have some bar-b-q then :doublethumbsup:

Start smoking for a week or two and then quit.

Mashed potatoes and gravy from a fast food restaurant three times a day. Popeyes has the best. My neighbor feeds mashed potatoes to her kid and the kid is getting fat fast. :lol:

Glad you're doing better.

Could you be peaking at what is now the weight your body likes the most... should be liking? All I know is how to maintain being underweight, don't have much variety. So have as much variety as possible...doesn't (and shouldn't) all be high in calories. Glad to hear it was a success :wave:

Serious answer: I read up on the Whipple procedure, that is some serious shiot, congrats on being alive. :wave: I would think that you should talk to your doctor about the appropriate method, probably under the care of a nutritionist, to achieve your goals. Since they messed around with your innards and all. :thumbsdown:

I doubt if you guys & gals remember that last October I shared that I had a very serious surgery scheduled [Whipple procedure] Pre surgery I weighed 194, the surgery was a success but at one point my weight dropped to 156. I'm 6.1 and looked like a POW. I'm now at 172 but my weight gain has stalled. Any of you guys have a suggestion on how to pack on about 10 or15 pounds. I have a good appetite including munchies but I seem to have peaked. :pointstosky:

OMG

is the whipple procedure the same thing steve jobs had?

do you have cancer or other organ related issues?

if so, god bless

If the Whipple procedure wasn't risky enough, they told me 3 things could happen that could be a potential disaster. pneumonia, infection or the sutures not holding. 4 days after the surgery I developed pneumonia. My wife was called at 10:30 at night and told that she should get to the the hospital. I didn't know until weeks later that it was touch and go. 2 weeks later an infection set in. I was re-admitted to the hospital to fight my way through that disaster. I was told that it could take up to a year to be fully recovered. I'm getting there minus the weight gain. Thanks for the advise, I'm going to take you up on the protein shakes.

wow, you got put through the ringer. Congrats x2.

as far as protein shakes go, those and/or protein bars are really, REALLY good ways to add muscle mass. There is far more protein in these things than you could realistically intake just by eating food alone. You can certainly gain weight from eating crappy food, but you'll be gaining fat, not muscle, and you'll feel crappier as well...easier but just not worth it, given your goals.

Good luck

as far as protein shakes go, those and/or protein bars are really, REALLY good ways to add muscle mass. There is far more protein in these things than you could realistically intake just by eating food alone. You can certainly gain weight from eating crappy food, but you'll be gaining fat, not muscle, and you'll feel crappier as well...easier but just not worth it, given your goals.

Good luck

When I was a teen trying to bulk up, I tried some of the protein shakes. They focked with my innards, I felt like I was going to throw up all of the time, and I hadn't had the whipple done. Maybe it was just me, I dunno, but I'd still talk to a doc and nutritionist about good, safe ways to gain mass.

OMG

is the whipple procedure the same thing steve jobs had?

do you have cancer or other organ related issues?

if so, god bless

I don't know what Steve Jobs had but I'm going to check it out. No cancer was found. They initially suspected hidden cancer which is why they recommended the procedure. It was a matter of throwing the dice, I could have passed on the procedure only to discover a year later that their was hidden cancer that had spread. I guess you could say that it was all for nothing but what if.

This.

Cept I'd stay away from mayo as it's just bad for your blood vessels/arteries.

Pasta, pasta(mac-n-chez if you're on a budget) and non-diet drinks.

I would also take note that somebody suggested that 170 may be 'your' wieght.

I had a hospital stay once and left at 185 which I hadn't been at since I was like 22(I'm 42) and I was just so happy to be somewhat healthy/alive that I ate everything in sight.

Needless to say I was back around 200 in 2-3 weeks and haven't been able to get back down past 194(SouthBeach).

Fricking good for you surviving that surgery!

It always amazes me that every coupla weeks/months I run into somebody who had "it" waaaay focking worse than I had.

Good luck

That is exactly what my Doc told me. I did hit 174 today which is my high mark since the operation. Thanks for the advise.

I don't know what Steve Jobs had but I'm going to check it out. No cancer was found. They initially suspected hidden cancer which is why they recommended the procedure. It was a matter of throwing the dice, I could have passed on the procedure only to discover a year later that their was hidden cancer that had spread. I guess you could say that it was all for nothing but what if.

he had pancreatic cancer and then a liver transplant.

what is your diagnosis?

he had pancreatic cancer and then a liver transplant.

what is your diagnosis?

It began with an inflamed gall bladder and a closed bile duct. They inserted a temporary stint to open the bile duct but when removed the bile duct closed up again. They did a number of biopsies which all came back negative for cancer. My Doc was convinced that even though the test were negative it didn't mean cancer wasn't present. He said he could do a less evasive surgery that would by-pass the duct but if cancer was indeed the culprit it could spread to the point of being to late and terminal. It was my call. My diagnosis now is that of a clean bill of health. :pointstosky: