Sign in to follow this  
fugoondo

Ryan Mathews RB Fresno State

Charger fan here, and about 90% of the mocks have Mathews going to Chargers first round, and AJ Smith went to Fresno State within the last couple of weeks to talk Coach Hill regarding Mathews...so it looked like the mocks may have been right.

But I guess Bellicheck came into town right behind AJ Smith and is enamored with the nations leading rusher as well, and on our local sports radio show (1090 am) it was mentioned that Bellicheck hinted they were going with Ryan Mathews first round at #22

Im a bit stoked actually...cause that will force us to go DT first round, and hope Cal State RB Best is there at #40. Hell, Michael Bennett ran as well as/better than LT last year. Im not too worried about the RB spot. We can grab a mid level RB, or even pick up Justin Fargas and throw him in there for 2011

I think he is the best all round rb in the draft. The kid from Tenn. might surprise many as well.

how can you reportedly be taking someone at 22?

how can you reportedly be taking someone at 22?

Good point...i guess it should read that if he's there when the Pats pick, theyre going with Mathews. But i must admit this was only reported on local sports talk. It kinda makes sense though....Pats need a RB as well.

You can choose to believe one of two things:

1. Belichick, who is infamous for keeping his cards close to the vest, not just for him but for his entire coaching staff (e.g., assistants aren't allowed to talk to the media, unlike other teams), somehow allowed a leak of their top choice at 1.22

or

2. Belichick is working a smokescreen to get the Chargers to trade up from 1.28 to 1.22 in order to get Matthews, the guy almost everyone agrees makes sense for them.

Charger fan here, and about 90% of the mocks have Mathews going to Chargers first round, and AJ Smith went to Fresno State within the last couple of weeks to talk Coach Hill regarding Mathews...so it looked like the mocks may have been right.

But I guess Bellicheck came into town right behind AJ Smith and is enamored with the nations leading rusher as well, and on our local sports radio show (1090 am) it was mentioned that Bellicheck hinted they were going with Ryan Mathews first round at #22

Im a bit stoked actually...cause that will force us to go DT first round, and hope Cal State RB Best is there at #40. Hell, Michael Bennett ran as well as/better than LT last year. Im not too worried about the RB spot. We can grab a mid level RB, or even pick up Justin Fargas and throw him in there for 2011

I'm not trying to be a ######, but your whole post is suspect starting with believing anything that Belicheck is involved with and ending with the fact that SD released Bennett some weeks back.

Matthews to the Texans before SD or NE ever get a look at him.

I know Bennett isn't with sd any longer, my point was it didn't matter who we had in the backfield. We throw 75 percent of the time.

If the Chargers miss out on Matthews they're gonna miss out on Jahvid Best too in the second unless they trade up to get him. Lots of rumoprs swirling that Detroit will take Best with the 2nd pick in round two because of the uncertainty of RB Kevin Smith's health issues. So if San Diego wants Matthews( that's who they should get) or Best they better be prepared to move up and wheel and deal to get their man. They certainly can't depend on nor would I think they'd wanna go through the season with what they currently have on their roster.

San Diego's a good team and it's be a shame to see them just kinda be laid back thinking their guy/guys are gonna fall to them. If they aspire to win a superbowl then they better get aggressive in the draft and go get the players they think will help them reach their goals. Spiller will be gone by no later than 14, which I'm hoping my Niners take him at 13. Hoston's made it known they want a rb and they pick at 20 and there's hints the N.E. could go after Mathews at 22. So if Matthews is the Charger guy I say they're gonna have to trade up ahead of Houston to ensure they get him. If they don't then they better do some whelling and dealing for Best before Detroit's pick comes up in the 2nd round. I'm hoping they do what they need to to move up and get Matthews. He'd be a perfect fit for them and could help them go deep in the playoffs.The Chargers have talented players so it's be a shame to see them not go after the RB they know will help get them where they wanna go. It's all on the San Diego's Braintrust's shoulders now.

The only thing that means to me is that is the only player they assured will not draft.

Anyone who believes a guy like BB would tip his hand like that is foolish.

Arriving in the right circumstance can change a players value (from a FF perspective) immensely.

If say, Spiller were on the Raiders, and Mathews were on the Pat's....I am DEFINITELY going for Mathews over Spiller.....

Some poor sod finding his way to Oakland, or Cleveland really destroys his intrinsic value. :doublethumbsup:

Arriving in the right circumstance can change a players value (from a FF perspective) immensely.

If say, Spiller were on the Raiders, and Mathews were on the Pat's....I am DEFINITELY going for Mathews over Spiller.....

Some poor sod finding his way to Oakland, or Cleveland really destroys his intrinsic value. :doublethumbsup:

don't bet on that with cleveland anymore...i think they're turnings around. also don't sleep on james davis, i'm not sure harrison has that starting RB locked up yet.

Not saying they won't, but isn't NE under BB known for not taking RBs too high in the draft and rarely in the 1st?

don't bet on that with cleveland anymore...i think they're turnings around. also don't sleep on james davis, i'm not sure harrison has that starting RB locked up yet.

Let's give it another year first, I will still avoid Raiders and Browns as a rule....for the time being.... ;)

Not saying they won't, but isn't NE under BB known for not taking RBs too high in the draft and rarely in the 1st?

maybe that's exactly what Belicheat wants you to think. maybe, just maybe, he's putting the information out there publicly because he knows everybody will say "Oh, there's no way he's taking Matthews if he's saying he's taking Matthews" or "Belicheat NEVER drafts a 1st round RB" because he IS going to take him.

Remember, Belicheat > everyone else.

;)

Matthews to the Texans before SD or NE ever get a look at him.

I don't think rb is a major need for texans.

maybe that's exactly what Belicheat wants you to think. maybe, just maybe, he's putting the information out there publicly because he knows everybody will say "Oh, there's no way he's taking Matthews if he's saying he's taking Matthews" or "Belicheat NEVER drafts a 1st round RB" because he IS going to take him.

Remember, Belicheat > everyone else.

Belicheat + SpyGate > everyone else.

Belicheat - SpyGate = Going for it on 4th and 2 from your own 28 yard line with 2 minutes to go.