Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

2010 NFL Draft Weekend Team Thread: Seattle Seahawks

Seattle on the clock. NFL Network, commercial.

I hope a volcano erupts inside Rich Eisen's bunghole.

With Jamar Adams the only SS, grab Earl Thomas

I have Thomas #8, Dez Bryant #10

I'm stunned we didn't trade down, so many teams traded up, so many teams reached, and we got #4 and #8 on my board in the first round.

I have no words.

very nice 2 picks.

i wonder how hard it was for Carroll to take a another saftey over Mays? I honestly expected a trade back with them eyeing Mays and more picks.

fwiw i like Thomas better than Berry.

ill be interested to see who is still on the board when tonight ends where the Hawks would have picked before the Whitehurst trade.

YES!!! Okung and Thomas?!?! Are you focking kidding me!?!?!?

Thank You Carroll, thank you for not taking Taylor Mays!!!

1st round grad- A

Love the Okung pick, not crazy about the Thomas pick. They could have gotten a decent S in rd 2. They won't find a playmaker the caliber of Dez Bryant in round 2. I would have taken Bryant, but they didn't fock the picks up so that's a plus.

very nice 2 picks.

i wonder how hard it was for Carroll to take a another saftey over Mays? I honestly expected a trade back with them eyeing Mays and more picks.

fwiw i like Thomas better than Berry.

I am pleased that Carroll resisted the urge to take "his guys". Thank God. Mays has been steadily sliding to the end of the first round for a month now.

Maybe the front office felt so embarrassed by the Whitehurst deal and getting snookered, they are working harder as a result. Or just lucky to have two stud players drop into their laps.

In retrospect, Berry and Bulaga, or Okung and Thomas. Time will tell. Sh!t, I dropped Bulaga to #13 in last two days, but he is drifting even farther.

Love the Okung pick, not crazy about the Thomas pick. They could have gotten a decent S in rd 2. They won't find a playmaker the caliber of Dez Bryant in round 2. I would have taken Bryant, but they didn't fock the picks up so that's a plus.

I would have been OK with either, but I keep saying, Carroll made his bones on the defensive backfield, and Deion Branch is looking healthy and is looking good in minicamps. Both probably swung the pendulum to Thomas.

There is plenty of WR talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds year after year. Maybe even 4th in a year with this deep of a draft. Don't worry. Yet.

I would have been OK with either, but I keep saying, Carroll made his bones on the defensive backfield, and Deion Branch is looking healthy and is looking good in minicamps. Both probably swung the pendulum to Thomas.

There is plenty of WR talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds year after year. Maybe even 4th in a year with this deep of a draft. Don't worry. Yet.

So what DEs or DTs will be available @60?

I like the mathews pick though. With so few holes. Go get your glaring need.

Still, they gave up quite a bit to move up that much. I had Matthews #25. Couldn't they have moved up to the late teens to take him?

I still would not move up to take a RB out of principle, but that's just me. Um, well, I was screaming for Mendenhall a couple of years ago, so I'll say almost never.

For as much as I wanted Spiller - What a FING GREAT DRAFT!!!!!!!

I'm very happy

In my eyes - We got the BEST Safety/Def Backfield coverage guy. I liked him much more then Berry!

I was so happy KC took him instead.

And landing Okung - WOW - Awsome.

This is a "A Draft - Our needs are being filled with the best possible players at the positions.

:overhead: :doublethumbsup:

Great Job Carroll and Co.

So what DEs or DTs will be available @60?

We will reset tomorrow. I want to see who is off the board today.

For as much as I wanted Spiller - What a FING GREAT DRAFT!!!!!!!

I'm very happy

In my eyes - We got the BEST Safety/Def Backfield coverage guy. I liked him much more then Berry!

I was so happy KC took him instead.

And landing Okung - WOW - Awsome.

This is a "A Draft - Our needs are being filled with the best possible players at the positions.

:overhead: :doublethumbsup:

Great Job Carroll and Co.

It's been a great day.

Now, we have to make sure we make our multiple picks in the 4th and 5th round count. They will make or break our draft, ultimately.

We will reset tomorrow. I want to see who is off the board today.

I agree.

Let's celebrate the rest of the night.

you wanted Bryant at 14 but are glad they didn't make a move for Marshall?

sorry, couldn't resist.

you wanted Bryant at 14 but are glad they didn't make a move for Marshall?

sorry, couldn't resist.

Go fock yourself. Sorry couldn't resist.

So, my neighbor stops by for my analysis of the first round. As I'm explaining how Seattle stole Okung, he sees the Eagles traded up into the first round. He is expecting Earl Thomas at #13. Not only do the Eagles not take him but reach for Brandon Graham and he's fuming, then he gets to watch me strut around the 'ole house when Seattle takes Earl Thomas. Oh, was he pissed.

Flahawker, the best DE/DT values remaining for the second round, worthy of 2nd round picks. We have all sorts of flexibility now by filling our two biggest needs and getting value at the same time.

Everson Griffin, DE

Brian Price, DT

Terrence Cody, DT

Carlos Dunlop, DE

Lamarr Houston, DT

Torrell Troup, DT

Cam Thomas, DT

As I'm sitting here, drinking myself into....well, drinking...

It feels like we just traded up twice in the first round to secure players that we wanted, and then got out picks back that we used to trade up. Well, we loved the maneuvers last year in getting Aaron Curry, Max Unger and a #1 pick, but it soon fell apart, starting with the trade up for Butler. But for all the crap Ruskell did, he actually didn't fock up the top of last years draft at least day one. I just want our front office to continue to make value picks. For another day or two. Is that really asking for that much?

russell okung, t, oklahoma state

earl thomas, s, texas

wow, what a pair for the seahawks! im shocked and impressed by the thought process and execution; it really shows me that pete carroll was less a factor and annually impressive GM john schneider [formerly of green bay?] and paul allen were more influential as usual; impressed they didn't blink when they fell into okung at 6; the best long armed pass protection left tackle with a chance of working towards walter jones' level; i am not as high on earl thomas, as the texas defensive backs have had a wide range of success rates, but he was justified and supported at this selection [i too did predict and prefer dez bryant here].

russell okung, t, oklahoma state

earl thomas, s, texas

wow, what a pair for the seahawks! im shocked and impressed by the thought process and execution; it really shows me that pete carroll was less a factor and annually impressive GM john schneider [formerly of green bay?] and paul allen were more influential as usual; impressed they didn't blink when they fell into okung at 6; the best long armed pass protection left tackle with a chance of working towards walter jones' level; i am not as high on earl thomas, as the texas defensive backs have had a wide range of success rates, but he was justified and supported at this selection [i too did predict and prefer dez bryant here].

Paul Allen had nothing to do with those picks. He really does just get out of the way.

So, my neighbor stops by for my analysis of the first round. As I'm explaining how Seattle stole Okung, he sees the Eagles traded up into the first round. He is expecting Earl Thomas at #13. Not only do the Eagles not take him but reach for Brandon Graham and he's fuming, then he gets to watch me strut around the 'ole house when Seattle takes Earl Thomas. Oh, was he pissed.

Flahawker, the best DE/DT values remaining for the second round, worthy of 2nd round picks. We have all sorts of flexibility now by filling our two biggest needs and getting value at the same time.

Everson Griffin, DE

Brian Price, DT

Terrence Cody, DT

Carlos Dunlop, DE

Lamarr Houston, DT

Torrell Troup, DT

Cam Thomas, DT

I have watched Carlos Dunlap at UF, stay away. The kid is trouble off the field and he never quite lives up to expectations on the field. Griffin has been discussed as one of those guys that should have stayed in school. The guys that jumps out at me is Lamar Houston. He might be a nice fit to play next to Mebane.

I won't be around tonight, but I'll be here all day saturday.

Hawks get a A+ for round 1.

This next pick I find interesting. We don't have a 3rd rounder, and I don't expext someone to just fall into our lap like yesturday. This will be the pick I'd like to see the front office nail, and this will be the guy we see how much homework they've done.

I'd still like to see us get a RB,DE,DT,CB in no particular order.

I'll also agree with Hawker and say stay away from Dunlap.

I won't be around tonight, but I'll be here all day saturday.

Hawks get a A+ for round 1.

This next pick I find interesting. We don't have a 3rd rounder, and I don't expext someone to just fall into our lap like yesturday. This will be the pick I'd like to see the front office nail, and this will be the guy we see how much homework they've done.

I'd still like to see us get a RB,DE,DT,CB in no particular order.

I'll also agree with Hawker and say stay away from Dunlap.

Again, awsome day yesterday. It really could have went worse, and I think we nailed it. And for those wanting Dez Bryant, I think that was not the right move at all. Value wise it would not have been best. And I'd rather have had Marshall, so what a letdown that would be. I would have not understood it at all.

I'm not sold on going DT/DE in day 2, but I could understand the pick. I like Price allot.

Man, if we could some how move up for Clausen and not give up to much it would be amazing. I don't think he diserves this drop at all. It's funny he's on the board for St. Louis. :ninja:

How big of a mistake will that be if he's better then Bradford.

I kind of think we should look for a offensive playmaker here such as a WR. They nailed some wides in GB with Snieder in the 2nd round.

I'd LOVE to land Tate. That would be a huge pick! (Probably be gone though)

The 40th pick would have sure been looking so nice here. I'm affraid day 2 won't be that great for us with only 1 pick, but I agree it would sure be nice to hit on a good quality starter here. I wouldn't mind seeing a trade up if the player is right. Or trade down if we land a 3rd back.

Day 3 will be big for us more so.

Again, awsome day yesterday. It really could have went worse, and I think we nailed it. And for those wanting Dez Bryant, I think that was not the right move at all. Value wise it would not have been best. And I'd rather have had Marshall, so what a letdown that would be. I would have not understood it at all.

I'm not sold on going DT/DE in day 2, but I could understand the pick. I like Price allot.

Man, if we could some how move up for Clausen and not give up to much it would be amazing. I don't think he diserves this drop at all. It's funny he's on the board for St. Louis. :)

How big of a mistake will that be if he's better then Bradford.

I kind of think we should look for a offensive playmaker here such as a WR. They nailed some wides in GB with Snieder in the 2nd round.

I'd LOVE to land Tate. That would be a huge pick! (Probably be gone though)

The 40th pick would have sure been looking so nice here. I'm affraid day 2 won't be that great for us with only 1 pick, but I agree it would sure be nice to hit on a good quality starter here. I wouldn't mind seeing a trade up if the player is right. Or trade down if we land a 3rd back.

Day 3 will be big for us more so.

So we shouldn't have looked at @ Bryant for pick 14 but we should look for a playmaker WR in the second? Gotcha.

Some Milwaukee journalist, the old stomping grounds of Schneider, is saying if Earl Thomas wasn't there at #14, Seattle would have taken Clausen.

Go fock yourself. Sorry couldn't resist.

just thought it was interesting that the team had too many holes to spend the equivalent of a late first rounder on a WR (Marshall) but you wanted them to use a mid first rounder on a WR (Bryant). Can you explain the thought process there?

just thought it was interesting that the team had too many holes to spend the equivalent of a late first rounder on a WR (Marshall) but you wanted them to use a mid first rounder on a WR (Bryant). Can you explain the thought process there?

The Hawks would have had to drop a pick this year and next year plus a huge contract for Marshall. Dez Bryant would have been much cheaper. So come 2011 the Seahawks would be without a 2nd and 3rd round pick, 40 something million in the hole for a guy one strike away from banishment. Not a smart usage of team capital. 8th grade sewickely.

Some years, this thread only gets 3 pages, which is almost always top 5 in the team draft threads. I've seen years where I would have 10 posts in a row, bumping the thread on my own. Or simply exchange posts with Kopy throughout the day. This year, we hit page 3 before we even made our first pick.

Our team has declined, but we ended up with more regular posters here. No wonder we can get 50 page Seahawk threads. :banana:

Rumors persist from various sources that Leroy Hill is being shopped for picks.

Rumors persist from various sources that Leroy Hill is being shopped for picks.

Good, ship his overrated ass out of town.

Some other random thoughts:

-I'm glad we didn't get Dez Bryant. He'll work out so well under the stern leadership of Grimace Phillips :cry:

-The Bills and Chargers are idiots. Seeing San Diego trade up to draft a RB makes me feel better about Whitehurst. Stupid focking picks

-Im laughing my ass off at Clausen, but wouldnt mind taking a chance on him with a 2nd round pick.

-Im kind of liking where the Broncos are going. Crazy enough to work.

Im hoping a good D-lineman is still sitting there for us when we pick today. Like I said above, Clausen in the second is intriguing (though not likely where we pick).

I hope the Seattle braintrust keeps it up :banana:

Well, while time was crawling till draft time last night, today was a breeze. Nice when you are coming off a good night. Well, bottle is within reach, cracked my knuckles, I'm all set.

The Hawks would have had to drop a pick this year and next year plus a huge contract for Marshall. Dez Bryant would have been much cheaper. So come 2011 the Seahawks would be without a 2nd and 3rd round pick, 40 something million in the hole for a guy one strike away from banishment. Not a smart usage of team capital. 8th grade sewickely.

it boils down to using 2 picks on Marshall or 1 pick on Bryant.

Marshall would be more expensive yes but a rookie at 14 still commands a nice salary and is unproven in the NFL.

i think Seattle made the right picks. too bad they dont have pick 40 anymore

too bad they dont have pick 40 anymore

With all the weirdness that happened yesterday, I'm not going to complain. We still have a 2nd, albeit a lower one because of the trade. Everybody keeps saying it, but it's a deep draft. Seattle didn't actually give up any picks this year in the Whitehurst deal, but gave up a pick next year. For me, the pair of picks in both the 4th and 5th are more crucial than our 2nd.

Edit: although, how interesting would it be if Clausen or McCoy is sitting there at #40. But you can't expect that going in.

it boils down to using 2 picks on Marshall or 1 pick on Bryant.

Marshall would be more expensive yes but a rookie at 14 still commands a nice salary and is unproven in the NFL.

i think Seattle made the right picks. too bad they dont have pick 40 anymore

No, It would have been 1 pick for Marshall after the Whitehurst deal was settled.

#14 for Marshall vs #14 for Bryant if we did that.... It would have been dumb to take Bryant and not do Marshall.

And going wide in the 2nd was based on getting Tate. (Or maybe Brandon Lafell)

And the reason being is that Tate could be better then Bryant in my view anyway.

YET, we only have to spend a 2nd instead of a HIGH 1st where we got a stud Safety.

Anyway, moving on.

I'm happy with what we've done.