Sign in to follow this  
Chronic Husker

Josh McDaniels is a straw grasping jackass

Thomas was drafted #22 to replace Brandon Marshall. This leaves people scratching their heads for some reason. Why is this hard to understand? Marshall has done the following in his 4 year NFL career:

1st year: Handful of catches. 2 impacted games, yet only 1 catch actually led to a victory (bomb from Cutler that he caught at 2 yard line which we later scored on)

2nd year: Ouch, suspended for the 1st game cause he got a player killed, ruined another players life/career (walker cause he held said dead player in his arms), and the number of punches he threw at women was greater than the number of catches in his career.

3rd year: Double ouch!!!: Suspended by league for first game only after lawyer got a longer suspension knocked down. Again, suspension was for beating women.

4th year: Ouch!!!!!!!: Suspended for preseason, started regular season giving half effort and took Dawkins at halftime of game 2 to beat his head on straight. He also finished the season on the bench for faking an injury.

Drafting Thomas is not what had the entire ESPN Crew scratching their heads...Getting rid of Marshall is not what had the ESPN Crew scratching their heads. McDaniels stating, for the record, that he targeted Thomas and drafted him because HE REMINDED HIM of Marshall is what had EVERYONE scratching their heads.

Oh, and trading up for a QB/RB/TE/H-back/WR/LB that would have been there for their pick later in the round didn't help...

Yes, McDaniels has a plan...it's called "I'll bet I can get more picks for my top 5 pick in next years draft than Billy B can get for his mid 20's pick" Plan...

Drafting Thomas is not what had the entire ESPN Crew scratching their heads...Getting rid of Marshall is not what had the ESPN Crew scratching their heads. McDaniels stating, for the record, that he targeted Thomas and drafted him because HE REMINDED HIM of Marshall is what had EVERYONE scratching their heads.

Oh, and trading up for a QB/RB/TE/H-back/WR/LB that would have been there for their pick later in the round didn't help...

Yes, McDaniels has a plan...it's called "I'll bet I can get more picks for my top 5 pick in next years draft than Billy B can get for his mid 20's pick" Plan...

A) he meant skill set wise that Thomas reminded him of Marshall. The reason why you get rid of Marshall and then replace him with someone that skill set wise is pretty much identical is because you get rid of a player in Marshall that 1) get's teammates killed; 2) ruins careers of teammates who have to hold dying players in their arms; 3) gets suspended for beating up on women; 4) gets suspended for off field run ins with the law; 5) fakes injuries; 6) gives up on the team; 7) lacks any resemblance of maturity.

In his place, you get a player that has similar skills, but none of that baggage.

B.) McDaniels thinks that the all time best college QB might, just might be worth a damn in the pros. It isn't all that big of a stretch. Remember, the same people who say that Tebow can't make it are the same people who said Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Jamarcus Russell et al WOULD make it. So put as much faith in them as you're willing to swallow.

A) he meant skill set wise that Thomas reminded him of Marshall. The reason why you get rid of Marshall and then replace him with someone that skill set wise is pretty much identical is because you get rid of a player in Marshall that 1) get's teammates killed; 2) ruins careers of teammates who have to hold dying players in their arms; 3) gets suspended for beating up on women; 4) gets suspended for off field run ins with the law; 5) fakes injuries; 6) gives up on the team; 7) lacks any resemblance of maturity.

In his place, you get a player that has similar skills, but none of that baggage.

B.) McDaniels thinks that the all time best college QB might, just might be worth a damn in the pros. It isn't all that big of a stretch. Remember, the same people who say that Tebow can't make it are the same people who said Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Jamarcus Russell et al WOULD make it. So put as much faith in them as you're willing to swallow.

A) that was a stupid comment by the coach.

:dunno: looking for a phrase a Bronco fan can understand......HORSE MANURE.

Look, the Jags made an ever worse blunder with their draft. I get it. It sucks...embrace it...and pray they do better next year. Don't try to sugar coat it. It's like the old saying...The thing about that little white spec on top of chicken poop...it's still chicken poop.

Well, call it what you will, homerism comes to mind :cheers: but I really loved the Broncos draft. We have 2 outstanding WR's, what I think will be a future great QB, 3 monsters for the line, and a CB who should relieve Royal of his special teams duties, or possibly convert to safety.

I think the Broncos should get a solid "A" as far as draft grades go.

Again, time will tell, but so far, I'm loving what McDaniels has done.

Here are my thoughts on the Broncos this year....

Thomas was drafted #22 to replace Brandon Marshall. This leaves people scratching their heads for some reason. Why is this hard to understand? Marshall has done the following in his 4 year NFL career:

1st year: Handful of catches. 2 impacted games, yet only 1 catch actually led to a victory (bomb from Cutler that he caught at 2 yard line which we later scored on)

2nd year: Ouch, suspended for the 1st game cause he got a player killed, ruined another players life/career (walker cause he held said dead player in his arms), and the number of punches he threw at women was greater than the number of catches in his career.

3rd year: Double ouch!!!: Suspended by league for first game only after lawyer got a longer suspension knocked down. Again, suspension was for beating women.

4th year: Ouch!!!!!!!: Suspended for preseason, started regular season giving half effort and took Dawkins at halftime of game 2 to beat his head on straight. He also finished the season on the bench for faking an injury.

So 3 of 4 years, his maturity and attitude cost the team MORE than his on field superiority helped the team. This can be proven by the amount of times he got our team in the playoffs (zero).

I see a ceiling of 13-3 and a floor of 8-8 for the Broncos. I suspect they fall somewhere in between, which will be good enough for the playoffs.

:music_guitarred:

Overall, I really like what he's done with the Broncos. I really don't mind the Cutler trade, however, if we lose Marshall, then this is a disaster.

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.p...t=0&start=0

:doh:

Could I have been more wrong? Even though, I was taking with the understanding that we would draft #11-15. :doh: I also told my friends "I don't want Dez Bryant or Tim Tebow" :doh:

Well, we'll get TONS of national publicity and spotlight. This could be a good thing. maybe attract more big time players? If this was Shanahan's team, I'd be more accepting of this, cause he likes mobile QB's.

maybe McDaniels was tired of Orton falling down and sacking himself.

True that. And Orton knows his days are numbered.

I was also assuming that we'd pick 11-15 in round 1. As soon as we traded Eagles, I said "fock, we're gonna take Dez or Tebow"

You did 180 degree change in opinion on Tebow since your first reaction to his selection.

I believe now you've convinced yourself that Tebow was a good pick and McDaniels knows what he's doing.

Why is everybody sh!tting on McDaniels for this draft?

As far as I know, it's not just the HC making the draft day picks, but its the GM, the owner, the scouts, the coordinators etc. Who has the final say probably varies team-by-team. I'm a Colts fan, and the draft is almost completely out of Jim Caldwell's hands, in terms of the final decision.

While some of THE BRONCOS' picks were questionable, McDaniels has done a solid job. He took over a sh!tty DEF team/solid offensive team, and has traded away his 2 offensive weapons who also happen to have been locker room question marks. You can't fault him for trading away Marshall, especially getting (2) 2nd rounders for him (remember - Boldin got traded for a 3rd and a 4th and S. Holmes for a 5th). The Cutler trade is still up for debate, although it's pretty clear that they got great value in return (two 1st rounders and Kyle Orton for a QB who lead the league in INT's last year).

I know they missed the playoffs, and faded down the stretch, and only finished at .500...But this was pretty much the same team he took over (minus a franchise QB) from Mike Shanahan, and he managed to match Shanny's win total. Last time I checked, Shanahan is regarded as a great coach.

The only question I have is why he drafted Thomas over Dez Bryant. It was pretty clear that Bryant's character issues were blown somewhat out of proportion, but regardless, he was by far the more talented WR. And his/the team's reason for drafting Thomas????....He reminded them of Marshall...that's a head scratcher.

I'm just saying they've got a plan in place.

Yeah, they have a plan. They have the underpants gnome business plan from South Park.

Phase 1 - Dismantle team, draft crap

Phase 2 - ?

Phase 3 - Victory!

With your roll eyes, it appears that you are the straw grasping jackass. You are so desperate to hear no reason that you will just totally dismiss any and all points to the contrary.

Funny thing happened since I posted in that thread you linked..... We started the season 6-0 which shows how good we *can be. We finished 8-8 which is better than most though. Then we had this thing called a DRAFT!!!! In which we upgraded, yes, UPGRADED the WR position for the team. Our WR stable is better today than it was in 2009.

You did 180 degree change in opinion on Tebow since your first reaction to his selection.

I believe now you've convinced yourself that Tebow was a good pick and McDaniels knows what he's doing.

Yes, I know I did a 180 degree flip flop.

I fully admitted that I didn't want him. But after doing more studying on him, and listening to him talk with the local media, and hearing coach McDaniels talk about how his 7 hour pre-draft meeting with Tebow went, and how he studies their terminology, and he was able to start calling many, many plays using the terminology, I have flip flopped. I am now saying that Tebow will be the best QB in this draft class, and I'm glad we took him instead of someone else taking him. I just needed a bit of time to come around and allow my homerism to kick in :doh:

Why is everybody sh!tting on McDaniels for this draft?

As far as I know, it's not just the HC making the draft day picks, but its the GM, the owner, the scouts, the coordinators etc. Who has the final say probably varies team-by-team. I'm a Colts fan, and the draft is almost completely out of Jim Caldwell's hands, in terms of the final decision.

While some of THE BRONCOS' picks were questionable, McDaniels has done a solid job. He took over a sh!tty DEF team/solid offensive team, and has traded away his 2 offensive weapons who also happen to have been locker room question marks. You can't fault him for trading away Marshall, especially getting (2) 2nd rounders for him (remember - Boldin got traded for a 3rd and a 4th and S. Holmes for a 5th). The Cutler trade is still up for debate, although it's pretty clear that they got great value in return (two 1st rounders and Kyle Orton for a QB who lead the league in INT's last year).

I know they missed the playoffs, and faded down the stretch, and only finished at .500...But this was pretty much the same team he took over (minus a franchise QB) from Mike Shanahan, and he managed to match Shanny's win total. Last time I checked, Shanahan is regarded as a great coach.

The only question I have is why he drafted Thomas over Dez Bryant. It was pretty clear that Bryant's character issues were blown somewhat out of proportion, but regardless, he was by far the more talented WR. And his/the team's reason for drafting Thomas????....He reminded them of Marshall...that's a head scratcher.

Good commentary.

To address the Thomas pick. They just got rid of one of the best WRs in the league, so they wanted to find a player that mirrored his skill set as closely as possible, and they found that skill set in Thomas. Thomas is a big, physical WR who sheds tackles and gets a ton of yards after catch & contact. He is also faster than Marshall, so he'll have more breakaway speed and will be an even better deep threat than Marshall was. Bryant, although I think his character issues (which honestly I think aren't really issues) caused him to slide, I don't think his character prevented Denver from picking him. I think McDaniels had more faith in Thomas' work ethic and quickness. Bryant is a better WR no doubt, but Thomas is a bit more physical and a bit faster. He might have a better chance of getting open than Bryant, seeing corners in the NFL are faster and stick like glue better than college corners. It's a catch 22 because Bryant is the better route runner, so theoretically, he should get open easier; but Thomas is faster and more physical, so maybe he will. It all depends on perspective. Also, I think Thomas will work harder to be great than Bryant will, and maybe that's character, or maybe it's just sheer determination. Bryant seems like he's more self entitled. Almost like he thinks everything should be given to him and he is owed something, kinda like Crabtree was last year. Thomas sounds like he'll bust his butt to win a roster spot and he is already showing that he's a team first guy. I'm overly impressed with his maturity. Then again, after living through Marshall for the last 4 years, I'm impressed with my little 3 year old nephew's maturity. lol

But hey, I wasn't in the war room. My opinions are pure speculation.

When Josh McDaniels hold up the Lombardi in 3 years, every last one of you will eat your words! :rolleyes:

Yes, I could see him back with the Pat's by then...

With your roll eyes, it appears that you are the straw grasping jackass. You are so desperate to hear no reason that you will just totally dismiss any and all points to the contrary.

Funny thing happened since I posted in that thread you linked..... We started the season 6-0 which shows how good we *can be. We finished 8-8 which is better than most though. Then we had this thing called a DRAFT!!!! In which we upgraded, yes, UPGRADED the WR position for the team. Our WR stable is better today than it was in 2009.

:thumbsup:

When Cutler played for the Broncos, you had a million posts celebrating his awesomeness. He got traded, you reversed course and said the team was better off without him. When Marshall played for the Broncos, you had a million posts celebrating his awesomeness. Again, after he was traded you reversed course and claim it was a good idea to get rid of him. Before the draft you say you wanted anyone but Tebow. Now that the Broncos drafted him you reverse course and celebrate his awesomeness.

swamp dog and FlaHawker have more legitimate football opinions than you.

Tebow will be a stud QB in this league.

Teams constantly overlook the three most important things a QB can have in order to draft big guys who can throw a ball through a brick wall.

Those three things are...

1. Intelligence

2. Work Ethic

3. Leadership

Tebow has those things in spades. I believe that he will do whatever he has to do to be successful. That's just the kind of guy he is. His teamates will see him working his butt off, and some will follow suit, making the whole team better.

Trust me, as a Tennessee fan, I want to hate the guy. I've tried. But I find myself admiring him despite myself. And I could care less about his God crap btw.

Now McDaniels is still an idiot, for trading away a stud QB and WR to turn around and try to draft new ones, but I think ultimately, it will pay off. He may not be in his job to see it happen, but Tebow will work out.

:doublethumbsup:

When Cutler played for the Broncos, you had a million posts celebrating his awesomeness. He got traded, you reversed course and said the team was better off without him. When Marshall played for the Broncos, you had a million posts celebrating his awesomeness. Again, after he was traded you reversed course and claim it was a good idea to get rid of him. Before the draft you say you wanted anyone but Tebow. Now that the Broncos drafted him you reverse course and celebrate his awesomeness.

Funny little thing about human beings.... we have the freedom and ability to change our minds :headbanger:

At least I don't dig my feet into the ground and refuse to take a deep breath, look around, and try to understand what McDaniels is attempting to do. You are just ignorant for the sake of ignorance. It's ugly, and if you choose to be that way, why don't you just find a team that does everything you want, and then cheer them on, cause I haven't seen you say good things about the Broncos in years, even spanning the pre-McDaniels era. Aren't you tired of being upset and depressed with your team? Just jump ship, the Broncos wagon is getting crowded anyways, we could use the room you give us for fans who choose to cheer for them instead of making fun of the people who cheer.

:doublethumbsup:

There is some truth to this. But what you are noting is just how people cope with sh!t. They want to support and laud the guy when others attack him because he is on their team, he is their guy; then when they are gone, they want people to think they are actually happy about it, they win no matter what....

Its all good... :headbanger:

Funny little thing about human beings.... we have the freedom and ability to change our minds :thumbsup:

At least I don't dig my feet into the ground and refuse to take a deep breath, look around, and try to understand what McDaniels is attempting to do. You are just ignorant for the sake of ignorance. It's ugly, and if you choose to be that way, why don't you just find a team that does everything you want, and then cheer them on, cause I haven't seen you say good things about the Broncos in years, even spanning the pre-McDaniels era. Aren't you tired of being upset and depressed with your team? Just jump ship, the Broncos wagon is getting crowded anyways, we could use the room you give us for fans who choose to cheer for them instead of making fun of the people who cheer.

Since Pete isn't happy that I pointed out his blind homer nonsense, he wants me to pick another team to follow.

Awesome!

Pete, here's another idea. How about when I post a thread about the Broncos you just stay out of it instead of posting your homer crap. That way you won't get called out on not having a legitimate football opinion.

Since Pete isn't happy that I pointed out his blind homer nonsense, he wants me to pick another team to follow.

Awesome!

Pete, here's another idea. How about when I post a thread about the Broncos you just stay out of it instead of posting your homer crap. That way you won't get called out on not having a legitimate football opinion.

I think that I have legitimate opinions. Yes, I admit that I'm a Broncos homer, but still, I can see where the team is coming from and where they are going. Something that blind haters can't see (like you)

I'm sure you do. I sure the fock don't.

See, and I think your opinions are so diluted in pure MSM retardation, that you can't see past your own double standards.

You don't UPGRADE to a rookie WIDEOUT over one of the top 5 best wideouts in FOOTBALL.

Delusions. Delusions.

So funny to read.

/Thanks for giving him to Chad Henne. Awesome. :thumbsdown:

When Josh McDaniels hold up the Lombardi in 3 years, every last one of you will eat your words! :thumbsup:

There is a better chance of him holding up a mop bucket with one hand, and his baggy coveralls with the other.

This offseason, he goes out and gets Brady Quinn. Not really impressed by that, but the Broncos didn't really give up much so I reserve judgement.

Yeah, Peyton Hillis sucks... :cheers:

Yeah, Peyton Hillis sucks... :cheers:

:D

Hillis was never going to get a shot under McDaniels. A lot of fans liked him but he didn't "fit the mold". I'm glad he's doing so well in Cleveland. He's definitely paid his dues to get where he's at. :cheers:

:D

Hillis was never going to get a shot under McDaniels. A lot of fans liked him but he didn't "fit the mold". I'm glad he's doing so well in Cleveland. He's definitely paid his dues to get where he's at. :cheers:

I never understood why they traded for Brady Quin to begin with when they drafted Tebow? :dunno:

I never understood why they traded for Brady Quin to begin with when they drafted Tebow? :dunno:

Brady Quinn reads his blocks better?

It took two years, but Elway fixed it all.

:)

McDaniels is an idiot. I remember him fist pumping like a drunk jersey shore teenager around the stadium after beating the Patriots in a REGULAR season game. :wall: