Sign in to follow this  
Hitman49er

Draft order ideas

After watching the league when they bet on little kids to determine draft order, I want to find something fun for my league. I thought about live horse racing but the track near me doesnt have a live race for a while. So i'm looking for some help from all you fantasy experts.

Thanks

Dice roll is pretty common....I think Smitty's league was a guess the best stock performer over a week.....which is always sorta cool...

After watching the league when they bet on little kids to determine draft order, I want to find something fun for my league. I thought about live horse racing but the track near me doesnt have a live race for a while. So i'm looking for some help from all you fantasy experts.

Thanks

I think I'm going to have each person buy one of those Betta fighting fish for like $3 at Walmart, and throw them in a big tank. Last one alive gets first choice of position.

Or maybe a poker tourney.

I think I'm going to have each person buy one of those Betta fighting fish for like $3 at Walmart, and throw them in a big tank. Last one alive gets first choice of position.

How about a tugNpull contest.... :doublethumbsup:

LOL, I'd have to resort to pills in order to lock up a top pick.

A bottle of chivas and you wont remember any of it, uhmm...maybe... :doublethumbsup:

Poker sit&go before the draft. Pick draft spots according to position placed.

Think of creative spins on "pure luck" events. If you want it to be something everyone can watch unfold, and root for, make it a TV event. Here is an example we have used:

I saw the mention of horse racing...how about car racing. This is an event you can plan to watch...and here is how you can make it pure randon luck:

1. Assign each manager a "finishing spot" determined from the mid-position out. There are 43 cars, so start at position 21 and roll out 10/12/14 (number of teams in league) spots from each side...ex: 12 teams, use finishing positions of 16 - 27 (12 spots). You can do this alphabetically by team name, or person name.

2. Assign draft position based on the car number that finishes in each assigned spot - from lowest car number to highest car number. So, if the #1 car (if there is one) finishes 26th, then that manager would get the #1 pick...and so on.

Just an idea that makes it fun, and gives everyone something to watch, and requires NO skill. It's pure luck.

Think of creative spins on "pure luck" events. If you want it to be something everyone can watch unfold, and root for, make it a TV event. Here is an example we have used:

I saw the mention of horse racing...how about car racing. This is an event you can plan to watch...and here is how you can make it pure randon luck:

1. Assign each manager a "finishing spot" determined from the mid-position out. There are 43 cars, so start at position 21 and roll out 10/12/14 (number of teams in league) spots from each side...ex: 12 teams, use finishing positions of 16 - 27 (12 spots). You can do this alphabetically by team name, or person name.

2. Assign draft position based on the car number that finishes in each assigned spot - from lowest car number to highest car number. So, if the #1 car (if there is one) finishes 26th, then that manager would get the #1 pick...and so on.

Just an idea that makes it fun, and gives everyone something to watch, and requires NO skill. It's pure luck.

I like the car racing idea. Sounds fun and still has the randomness of pulling a name out of a hat.

Nothing super amazing here but we always draw names out of a hat and when your name is picked you get to choose where you want to draft. Generally after the first couple of guys take 1-3 or so, 10-12 go next. Just adds a little prefernce/strategy to the whole thing.

Definately shooting for a later round pick this year more than ever. I suppose that is a different topic

Do an auction, and avoid all of that. Granted, you still need a nomination order....but it isn't nearly as important, where your spot falls.

have a beer shotgun tournament

start by selecting your seeds out of a hat, then pair up and go, winner of each round advances, whoever wins the whole thing gets to pick wherever they want. Then work backwards, this also makes sure everyone is at least a little bit intoxicated before drafting. And Brandon Jacobs goes 4th overall in 2009

thats what we do

This year we changed it up and have it so that the inverse order of standings picks where they want to draft. Our commissioner made sure that everyone fielded a competitive team to avoid controversy. While it's a competitive league, we also all play with gamesmanship and respect of the other teams in the league. Also, the league champion, me in this instance, automatically gets assigned the final slot available. If we have a new entry to the league, they will pick their spot right before me.

This year we changed it up and have it so that the inverse order of standings picks where they want to draft. Our commissioner made sure that everyone fielded a competitive team to avoid controversy. While it's a competitive league, we also all play with gamesmanship and respect of the other teams in the league. Also, the league champion, me in this instance, automatically gets assigned the final slot available. If we have a new entry to the league, they will pick their spot right before me.

Is this a dynasty league? If not, why penalize a manager for winning the league the year before. Also this comment "Our commissioner made sure that everyone fielded a competitive team to avoid controversy"...what does this mean?? Is the Commish overriding game-day decisions, or filling out rosters for "bye week players" or "injured players"? I would consider that to cause controversy...the Commish can't set another team's line-up, or even give line-up advice.

A standard re-draft league should have a standard "random" draft order. Again, if this is a dynasty ot keeper league, then OK on the inverse order....but NOT OK on the Commish input on roster decisions. My suggestion on this would be to make the entry fee large enough that people actually TRY to win each week...and if they no-show, then so be it.

Not to rant...but I seem to be...here is an idea I've wanted to try for some time. Make the league a "retro weekly entry fee league". Here's how: Each week your entry fee is based on how you finished "total score" wise against the league. Example: Based on weekly score, your entry fee for the week would be deterimed by your rank for score that week: Top score = $0, 2nd = $2, all the way to 12th, or lowest score for the week, pays $22. This forces EVERY team to play their best each week. Also, in a "Head-to-Head" league, it rewards the person who drafted / FA / and traded the best throughout the season. Then when the 10th ranked team win's the league championship, the years best team ends up losing the least.

Just a thought.

I read a book called "Why Fantasy Football Matters and Our Lives Do Not"

that is similar to what they do except they have a piranha and 12 goldfish.

we have a system where teams pick their draft spot in reverse order of final end of season standings (after playoffs)...for example last place can choose anywhere 1-12 in order, this is for a keeper league

we have a system where teams pick their draft spot in reverse order of final end of season standings (after playoffs)...for example last place can choose anywhere 1-12 in order, this is for a keeper league

my league does the same thing, but only for non playoff teams. if you made the playoffs, you pick one of the remaining spots out of a hat. sort of a reverse lottery system i guess

One league i am in uses the preseason game 3 to choose the order of the draft. Anyone can pick any player within the limits of the league. Highest point total gets first, and so on down the line. I usually never field a team and get the 10 or 12 spot. Redraft league of course. NOt a bad idea, but it can be work for the commish. Our commish sets up a website that tracks the points. Pretty cool!

We do a bit of NBA lottery.

Based upon last season results, we assign number of cards in a hat. the top two teams get two (2*1), the worst to teams get 10 (2*5).

From this we determine the order of teams selecting their draft position.

Most will draft from the highest pick available.

But for the adventurous, it can be a way to control your fate. Do you prefer to draft at the ends of the serpent. The middle.....

I think it's dumb to base it on last year's results. It shouldn't carry over from last year, it's a new year, and draft order should be determined with an equal likelihood of picking anywhere for every team.

I think it's dumb to base it on last year's results. It shouldn't carry over from last year, it's a new year, and draft order should be determined with an equal likelihood of picking anywhere for every team.

in redrafts you mean, and that wasn't specified anywhere, so carry on.

Here you go...

Everybody in the league has to hire a stripper/hooker.

You make a big mudpit in the back yard. Have a stripper mud wrestling tournament. Results determine draft order.

He didnt say it was purely based on draft results. I am in a league with draft order lottery weighted by the previous years results. I think it gives someone who may have had a few too many bad breaks a better chance at having things fall his way, at least in the first rnd. I have won this league 2 out of the 4 years and i do not have a problem being weighted toward the end of the draft.

Make sure you clearly identify them. Dont want any fights about whose fish is whose.