Sign in to follow this  
jocstrap

The 10 td club for WR's - a 3 year look

I did this study a couple years back and posted it on here. What was the height of wide receivers that scored 10td's in the season? 6'0" + is my standard. A couple years have passed and the stats are even more shocking now. The 10td club is very elite for receivers in the NFL. Do you have to have one of these guys to win your ff league? No of course not. A Welker, Steve Smith, Steve Smith would have done you very well last year. This is just to point out that height gets you into the 10td club.

2009 - - 6 players only - All players were 6'0" and above - - - granted Wayne and White are right on that bubble height at 6'0" each. Non the less 2009 was 100% taller receivers.

Moss - 13

Fitz - 13

Austin - 11

Roddy - 11

Wayne - 10

Marshall - 10

2008 - - 6 players only again - - 5 out of 6 hit the 6'0" criteria, with only Lance Moore being the shorter wr @ 10 td's

Fitz - 12

Calvin Johnson - 12

Moss - 11

Boldin - 11

Marshall - 10

Lance Moore - 10

2007 - - - 10 players scored 10 or more td's this year - 9 out of 10 hit the criteria except for Greg Jennings

Moss - 23

Edwards - 16

TO - 15

Housh - 12

Plaxinooo - 12

Greg Jennings - 12

Colston - 11

Wayne - 10

Fitz - 10

Reggie Williams - 10

In Summary, 20 out of 22 players that have hit 10td's over the past three years were six foot or taller. What is amazing is that there have only been 6 and 6 the past two years. Is this the new trend? Then you have Andre Johnson? What can I say, the guy just can't get 10td's???? I have no clue why? Perhaps this is the year!

2010 JOCSTAP'S PREDICTIONS TO THE 10TD WR CLUB

8 Players this year!

MOSS - especially with Welker out will have 1 more year of glory

COLSTON - he's back in this year

ANDRE JOHNSON will finally join the club

BRANDON MARSHALL - the only red zone target with any height, plus Brown, Williams will require respect

BRAYLON EDWARDS - yep, defenses will key on stopping the run - he will have a great year in td's but not that high in receptions

SIDNEY RICE - Shiancoe won't steal as many this year

CRABTREE - Vernon who?

STEVE SMITH A&B - ha, it's like a horse race 1A and 1B you get them both for the price as 1 - - I like Smith from the Giants better as my only shorty going for 10

I left out Fitz b/c I sure don't trust Leinart

I left out Austin b/c I think the ball will be spread around more (Dez, Witten, Roy) are all still capable of getting a lot of td's

I left out Wayne - not this year - 5 years under 10td's, 3 years 10 and above

So there you have it:)

i would also be curious what % of the NFL's WRs in general are 6 foot or taller.

lets say of the top 3 from each teams depth chart. i would just guess there are fewer small WR's in general and the ones that make an impact do so in ways that don't lend to much scoring.

but either way i think the rule of 6+ is a valid one.

i would also be curious what % of the NFL's WRs in general are 6 foot or taller.

lets say of the top 3 from each teams depth chart. i would just guess there are fewer small WR's in general and the ones that make an impact do so in ways that don't lend to much scoring.

but either way i think the rule of 6+ is a valid one.

no doubt - this is where the speedster's equation comes into play also - - Santana, Deion Branch's, Galloway's, Stallworth's, etc. Doesn't mean they will score the td's for you.

I wonder what the Chicago WR crew of Hester, Bennett, and Knox come in at? This is why I like Armamadoshu (sp) a lot

I would sub out Edwards for Fitz. Even if you don't trust Leinart...Fitz is way too good. He's also a tall red zone target and will get some short scores.

No way Edwards gets to 10 TDs....I actually have a little faith in the Jets passing game but theres too many guys there....the RBs get a buttload of work then you have newly acquired Holmes..Cotchery...Keller in the red zone in addition to Edwards. 10 TDs for him this year would be an incredible feat.

I would sub out Edwards for Fitz. Even if you don't trust Leinart...Fitz is way too good. He's also a tall red zone target and will get some short scores.

No way Edwards gets to 10 TDs....I actually have a little faith in the Jets passing game but theres too many guys there....the RBs get a buttload of work then you have newly acquired Holmes..Cotchery...Keller in the red zone in addition to Edwards. 10 TDs for him this year would be an incredible feat.

Edwards could have 10 tds....if he doesn't drop 5 of them.

I enjoyed reading this, but I still don't know what I would/will do any differently in any fantasy football draft. Larger targets are more apt to get redzone looks. Not to mention I would guess that well over 50% of NFL WR's are six foot or taller. Other than that it seems rather arbitrary.

It was a good, entertaining post though. :thumbsup:

I noticed you left Roddy White off both your 10 TD list, and your left off list.

Would you care to give a guestimate for his stats?

Him and Wayne are the 2 guys I keep projecting to fall to me at the end of round 1. Once I factor in the projected keepers, then mock Round 1.

I noticed you left Roddy White off both your 10 TD list, and your left off list.

Would you care to give a guestimate for his stats?

Him and Wayne are the 2 guys I keep projecting to fall to me at the end of round 1. Once I factor in the projected keepers, then mock Round 1.

I'm more of a stats guy. Bottom line numbers for me. Let's take his last three years for example....

2009 - 16 games/85 receptions/1,153 yards/11 td's - - - Targeted 165

2008 - 16 games/88 receptions/1,382 yards/7 td's -- - - Targeted 149

2007 - 16 games/83 receptions/1,202 yards/6 td's - - - -Targeted 130

The yards are about as consistent as it gets for a wr. His receptions are about as even as it gets over a three year period also. Funny his targets went up the most, td's went up, yet yards went down???

3 out of 3 years with almost identical stats, yet only 1 year with solid td numbers.

2010 projection - receptions and yards status quo, a dip in td's only b/c of 2007 & 2008 numbers - - - 85 receptions/1,200 yards/8td's

I had some free time yesterday, so I decided to research this. I used the stats for teams top 3 WR (in receptions) from last year:

- 68.75% of wide receivers were 6'0" or taller (66/96)

- 7 WR's under 6'0" led their team or tied for the team lead in receiving TD's (Donnie Avery, Steve Smith (Car), Steve Smith (NYG), Desean Jackson, Lee Evans, Chris Chambers, Derrick Mason)

- 6 WR's under 6'0" led their team in rec yds ONLY (Welker, Santonio Holmes, Jennings, Santana Moss, Hester, Davonne Bess)

I had some free time yesterday, so I decided to research this. I used the stats for teams top 3 WR (in receptions) from last year:

- 7 WR's under 6'0" led their team or tied for the team lead in receiving TD's (Donnie Avery, Steve Smith (Car), Steve Smith (NYG), Desean Jackson, Lee Evans, Chris Chambers, Derrick Mason)

- 6 WR's under 6'0" led their team in rec yds ONLY (Welker, Santonio Holmes, Jennings, Santana Moss, Hester, Davonne Bess)

thanks, thats actually a lower % than i would have guessed. i honestly would have said over 80% if i was forced to take a guess at it.

my reason for asking was that if most relevant nfl wr's are 6 foot or taller than it would stand to reason that most wr's catching double digit td's are 6 foot or taller.

Randy's the only lock!

These wr's might make a run at it starting with A. Johnson: Fitz, Wayne, White, and Miles. I don't have faith that any other wr is a lock. I'm sure there be quite a few with 8-9 tds.

:thumbsup:

only 68.75% were 6 foot or taller. I had no clue what to expect, but that's a little lower than what I thought it would be. I suppose this topic helps ff owners in a TD heavy league. PPR leagues will score considerably different.

thanks for those stats! Very nice

calvin will catch 10 this year, bank on it. my pick for the bargain stud WR of the draft.

OK - SO WE HAD 10 THIS YEAR

Thanks to Worm and his free time, he found this...

THE 2010 TD CLUB

Dwayne Bowe 15td's - - 6'2"

Greg Jennings 12td's - 5'11"

Calvin Johnson 12td's- 6'5"

Brandon Lloyd 11td's - 6'0"

Hakeem Nicks 11td's -- 6'0"

Mike Williams 11td's - 6'1"

Steve Johnson 10td's - 6'2"

Roddy White 10td's---- 6'0"

Mike Wallace 10td's -- 6'0"

Jeremy Maclin 10td's - 6'0"

Well there you have it 9 out of 10 were 6'0 or taller - - 5 of them were right at 6'0" though. Non the less, that was the criteria.

=====================================================================================================================================

2010 JOCSTAP'S PREDICTIONS TO THE 10TD WR CLUB

8 Players this year!

MOSS - especially with Welker out will have 1 more year of glory

COLSTON - 7 - he's back in this year

ANDRE JOHNSON - 8 - will finally join the club

BRANDON MARSHALL - 3 - the only red zone target with any height, plus Brown, Williams will require respect

BRAYLON EDWARDS - 7 - yep, defenses will key on stopping the run - he will have a great year in td's but not that high in receptions

SIDNEY RICE - Shiancoe won't steal as many this year

CRABTREE - 6 - Vernon who?

STEVE SMITH A&B - ha, it's like a horse race 1A and 1B you get them both for the price as 1 - - I like Smith from the Giants better as my only shorty going for 10

I'm not going to page 2 to find the stats for Moss, Rice, or Steve Smiths!

HOW ABOUT THEM APPLES! I guessed 0.0 CORRECTLY :first:

I think this study would hold more water if the majority of WR's in the league weren't 6' or taller.

Me too. I mean an awful lot of 6 foot on the dot WRs going for 10+.

How many WRs under 6 foot are that relevant in the NFL? Steve Smith of NYG is a possession WR of the team, they have Nicks and Manningham to throw too. Who else? Desean Jackson. Not many good WRs in general under 6 foot tall. We are talking maybe a handful of good WRs.

Kind of like doing a stat of QB's under 6'2...who qualifies? Brees and Vick about all I can think of.

I think this study would hold more water if the majority of WR's in the league weren't 6' or taller.

68.75% of wide receivers were 6'0" or taller (66/96)

make sure when you draft, you don't take the little guys is my point.

my reason for asking was that if most relevant nfl wr's are 6 foot or taller than it would stand to reason that most wr's catching double digit td's are 6 foot or taller.

:thumbsup:

2010 Results - All receivers are either 6'0 or taller.

NFL Receiving Touchdowns

Rank Player Team Rec Yds Avg TDs Long

1 Dwayne Bowe KC 72 1162 16.1 15 75

2 Greg Jennings GB 76 1265 16.6 12 86

3 Calvin Johnson DET 77 1120 14.5 12 87

4 Brandon Lloyd DEN 77 1448 18.8 11 71

5 Hakeem Nicks NYG 79 1052 13.3 11 46

6 Mike Williams TB 65 964 14.8 11 58

7 Steve Johnson BUF 82 1073 13.1 10 45

8 Rob Gronkowski NE 42 546 13.0 10 28

9 Marcedes Lewis JAC 58 700 12.1 10 42

10 Mike Wallace PIT 60 1257 21.0 10 56