Sign in to follow this  
Matt Mueller

What position(QB, RB, WR, TE) are you most comfortable taking a lower tier player?

I have noticed that you often have to let one position slack a bit on your team. Maybe it's your second RB. Or maybe your 2nd/3rd WRS. Or maybe you pass on QB TE.

Assuming you are filling out a roster of QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE

What position(s) are you most comfortable taking a lower tier player in?

I have noticed that there seem to be a lot of late WRs (manningham, collie sometimes, malcom floyd, britt, ect) who might end up being just as valuable as some of the guys being drafted a few rounds ahead of them.

For me it's currently either WR or TE if I don't get someone better than O. Daniels that I'm most likely to pass on in order to make sure I get other positions locked up.

qb or tight end

unless one of the elite qb's drop significantly (a round +) below their ADP, i will not be drafting a top 6 guy (however, i do like romo's value though as i feel there's a significant drop between him and the schuab/big ben/ryan tier), i've been targeting a combo of eli/kolb/stafford/cutler/bradford in rounds 10+..i just feel that the tier drop offs for skill players this year is so severe in rounds 2-4 vs. 5-7, i can't afford to invest a top 3 round pick on a qb

with tight ends (non ppr), i have concerns about gates health/clark's red zone role when collie is healthy/witten's td #'s with romo...i think finley/davis/daniels are the guys to target given their ADP and situations, but if i miss on any of them i feel more than comfortable waiting on tight end and grabbing a proven guy like mercedes lewis/winslow or upside guys like graham/cook/gresham

Good topic.

Thus far it seems to me that the TE position is the deepest this year - meaning the dropoff from #5 to #12 isn't that significant on a points per week basis.

After that its a toss up with WR/RB; for every Floyd/S Moss/Manningham there is a Lynch/Stewart/Jackson. I feel like there are fewer elite WRs than RBs this year though.

QBs are weird too - imo the top 6 or 7 are going to do about the same on a weekly basis - but after that its a crap shoot. Of any one position I am drafting this year, getting an elite QB feels like it needs to be a priority.

qb or tight end

unless one of the elite qb's drop significantly (a round +) below their ADP, i will not be drafting a top 6 guy (however, i do like romo's value though as i feel there's a significant drop between him and the schuab/big ben/ryan tier), i've been targeting a combo of eli/kolb/stafford/cutler/bradford in rounds 10+..i just feel that the tier drop offs for skill players this year is so severe in rounds 2-4 vs. 5-7, i can't afford to invest a top 3 round pick on a qb

with tight ends (non ppr), i have concerns about gates health/clark's red zone role when collie is healthy/witten's td #'s with romo...i think finley/davis/daniels are the guys to target given their ADP and situations, but if i miss on any of them i feel more than comfortable waiting on tight end and grabbing a proven guy like mercedes lewis/winslow or upside guys like graham/cook/gresham

I've been doing the same thing in mocks. My league is QB heavy/quick draft so I'll wait and let guys fall to me, then take a QB of the ones you mentioned as I still feel they can produce well enough.

Good topic.

Thus far it seems to me that the TE position is the deepest this year - meaning the dropoff from #5 to #12 isn't that significant on a points per week basis.

After that its a toss up with WR/RB; for every Floyd/S Moss/Manningham there is a Lynch/Stewart/Jackson. I feel like there are fewer elite WRs than RBs this year though.QBs are weird too - imo the top 6 or 7 are going to do about the same on a weekly basis - but after that its a crap shoot. Of any one position I am drafting this year, getting an elite QB feels like it needs to be a priority.

I feel the opposite. Maybe amongst elite it is even, but after that RB gets thin, and there are plenty of good WR options. Per FF today rankings if you picked the 12th and 24th receiver, you end up with Miles Austin and Wes Welker. Backs would be Lesean McCoy and Knowshown Moreno. lesean and knowshown..ha. That is actually a pretty good option to me, but some of the other projections for RB around that ranking are Shonn Greene and Pierre Thomas, Ahmed Bradshaw and Ryan Matthews. I think if you wait until the 4th round for a WR you could still end up with something like Santonio Holmes, Ocho, and Santana Moss, or Percy Harvin.

Te, because they generally score the least points of the positions mentioned.

Agreed with QB/TE. Especially in a 10 team redraft, I can be the last to pick a starting QB in the 7th or 8th round and end up with either Schaub or Ryan. Worst case I end up with Eli/Bradford/Freeman/Big Ben combo. I've even landed great value in mock in the 13th+ rounds at TE with Winslow/Pettigrew/Graham/Celek/Owens, etc.... personally I think most outside of the Charlotte area could wait on Olsen & get a top 5-7 TE in the final round (the area is pumped on Olsen, so I doubt he lasts that long here, but online he does in mocks). He has been lighting it up in practice.

All depends on how the draft goes, really. Chances are I'm only taking one of a QB or TE in the first 6 rounds. I consider WR the easiest position to find good late-round or replacement players, simply because the pool of WRs is larger than any other position. TE all depends; past the top 5 guys, I only really see big upside with Jimmy Graham and Owen Daniels. If I can't get one of those guys, I'm probably waiting till 10, 12, 14 guys are off the board, since I see a huge group capable of 50/600/5.

The position I'm least comfortable taking a lower tier player is RB, but my best RB picks in the last few years have been Thomas Jones and Slaton in 2008, and Foster and McFadden last year. So, maybe my brain is all wrong on that anyway.

TE and WR3. Sometimes I will let QB slack but it depends on the year. Last year I thought there were 15 QBs that could have ended up putting together pretty good seasons. This year I feel like that number has shrunk a bit.

I'm always a 5th round or later QB taker. And what the heck is a TE? I'm stubborn in my ways b/c I'm happy with my ff finishes year in and year out. If I was never getting to the playoffs, well then, I suppose I would have to change my tactics. But until then - I will be rb heavy early and often, followed by wr deep, yet never a stud unless they outproduce their adp, I enjoy researching an 8-12 type of QB and they do just fine, and my TE is a filler.

if i cant get a top QB (like for this year rodgers/vick/brees/brady/manning/rivers) im usually alright dipping into the top 12 or so, and with TE, after the big 5 (gates/finley/davis/witten/clark), i can usually go all the way into like top 15

TE, QB, WR3 in that order.

Those are the positions with the most depth... so yeah. Idk, this doesn't seem like a super interesting discussion? Would you rather have your roster weak in a position where you can find good options on the waiver wire easily or not?

To me running backs have always been something you can find over the course of the season. So I like to get 1 lead back and draft 3 more potential break out running backs near the middle/end of the draft. Last year I took Jamaal Charles and had a rotating door at my RB2 all year. I started Blount, Torain, Choice, and J Stewart all during their first 100 yard games of the season, and I simply picked up on their situations from this board. You can even trade for rb's with slow starts that have an easing of their schedule coming up.

Why not take a gamble on WR?

This year I would feel save with 8 of them as my WR1 and that's really it. After Johnson, Johnson, Roddy, Fitz, Nicks, Jennings, V Jackson, and Mike Wallace there are no more locks. There's plenty of value but it starts getting very questionable.

You can always strike gold during the season at WR the same as RB, but to me it's much easier to identify a RB workload than a WR. Without fail you have a guys like Massaquoi every year who have 90 yards and a td week one who will proceed to rot the rest of the season.

Bottom line is if you play your cards right in an auction draft this strategy will get you a dominate QB, 2 dominant WR1s and a dominate TE. With so many time shares at RB these days,and most of the draft day busts at RB I really like this approach.

Great topic.

I used to fear the first round RB bust, especially if I was in the bottom half of our 10team Draft, so I eliminated that risk. I'd go WR/WR/WR/TE/QB/RB/RB.

This system worked, and I won money. The reason it works is once other owners have their 2 RBs (18RBs gone) they start filling other positions and leave RBs alone. There are exceptions, but those guys tend to really suffer if they grab a 3rd RB and let WR/QBs go. You do have to find those diamonds in the rough RBs, cause you're in the 6th and 7th round. Also be prepared to be surfing the WW weekly.

The plus side, is you will have the top 2 WRs in the league (Calvin/Fitz), following up with Jennings/White 3rd round...combined with top TE (Clarke/Gates 4th), and a 5th Round QB....Romo ?

If there's a RB in the 5th, I may scoop him and let the QB goto 6th/7th.

I may do this this year being 6. Our league will be all RBs, so I might be looking at Charles/McCoy....or F RB !

Great topic.

I used to fear the first round RB bust, especially if I was in the bottom half of our 10team Draft, so I eliminated that risk. I'd go WR/WR/WR/TE/QB/RB/RB.

This system worked, and I won money. The reason it works is once other owners have their 2 RBs (18RBs gone) they start filling other positions and leave RBs alone. There are exceptions, but those guys tend to really suffer if they grab a 3rd RB and let WR/QBs go. You do have to find those diamonds in the rough RBs, cause you're in the 6th and 7th round. Also be prepared to be surfing the WW weekly.

The plus side, is you will have the top 2 WRs in the league (Calvin/Fitz), following up with Jennings/White 3rd round...combined with top TE (Clarke/Gates 4th), and a 5th Round QB....Romo ?

If there's a RB in the 5th, I may scoop him and let the QB goto 6th/7th.

I may do this this year being 6. Our league will be all RBs, so I might be looking at Charles/McCoy....or F RB !

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My first season of FF, everything I read was RB, you HAD to go RB in the 1st round. And prolly in the 2nd too. One of my friends in this league drafts Randy Moss in the 1st. Folks even laughed at him. 2nd round, he drafts TO. They were gasping at this point. Fast forward to the end of the season and he focking won the title. I was like WTF. Fluke. Motherfocker did the same damn thing the next season too. I started examining to see what the hell was going on and quickly came to the same conclusions you just posted.