Sign in to follow this  
DeaLerZ

Cam Newton... Let's take a closer look

I put together some numbers based on Opinions I have gathered on forums... and came up with these numbers as "Very Realistic" Numbers for Cam Newton this year...

2832 Pass Yds

13 Pass TD's

16 Interceptions

which I believe are very realistic...

704 Rush Yds

7 Rush TD's

which I believe are also very realistic after watching every Pre-season game with him this year

That gave him 277.7 Fantasy Points which he would have been ranked at #10 Overall QB from last year!!... Rushing Yards are worth 2x as much in my league and add to the overall consistancy of a QB in fantasy football because a running QB is more likely to use his feet when he can't do anything with his arm (where Passing only QB's will put up a few duds every year)...I don't think we put enough emphasis on running QB's at what they can do for "Consistancy", which is more important than the end of the year points in my opinion... a guy like Cam Newton although his passing statistics are rookie like and tend to keep most people away, YOU CANNOT IGNORE HIS RUSHING NUMBERS.. the value of a QB in Fantasy Football that runs like he does (VICK like abilities and more durable) makes his value sky rocket, and he can be more than a mesely bye week filler, but a guy who can give you a potentially huge game when you have a bad matchup/injury/bye-week SIMPLY because of his rushing numbers as well as around 15-20 FPG which in my opinion gives his potential more value because of the importance of Consistancy from week to week...

DYNASTY/KEEPER get him on your roster in every league.. could lead you to FUTURE championships once he learns how to be an NFL QB...which he will... he has the work ethic of a ####### mule and Athletic Ability unlike anything we have ever seen in this league

REDRAFT- might be worth a roster sport once we watch him play a few games... really this guy has HUGE UPSIDE as a QB #2 like the post says and you can get him for next to nothing now... I wouldn't be suprised to see Waiver Wire pick-ups go crazy for him after a few weeks..

I'm drinking the Cam koolaid this year too. I don't think its necessary to spend a pick on him in a redraft, but plan on picking him off the WW by week 3.

They play GB in week 2 so I'm not expecting a huge game and a ww rush on him :) The rest of his schedule looks pretty fantasy friendly to me.

I think it would be a miracle if Cam had less than 20 INTs this season, but his legs might make up for some of those lost points. Beware of lost fumbles by a rookie QB who might try to use his legs to bail him out...I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole this year. Unless it was a keeper league, in which that case, I might touch him with an 8 foot pole

:)

I know this guy is a rookie.. but I really think he has athletic ability that we have never seen before in this league.. he is like a monster at QB who can run with the speed of a running back and the power of a Full-back... I know his passing will mostly likely be nothing worth mentioning that is a given.. but based on his sheer athletic ability I think he can really put up a few nice games this year where he runs wild....

In the 4 pre-season games I watched you could tell he was working on his pocket passing skills and getting his timing down with his receivers.. their were plenty of plays that he easily could have ran for 15 or 20 yards, but chose not too... and in only one half of action he had great numbers for a QB that runs 18 yds, 49 yds TD, and 19yds.. plus you cannot tell me the Panthers don't have some designed running plays for him...

I really think a guy that throws for 2800 yds, 30 TD's, and 7 Int in his last year at college to go along with 1,400 yds rushing a 5.6 average and not to mention (263 carries, which is a full load for a RB)... and 20 rushing TD's.. has huge potential especially at his size 6'6" 250 lbs to do things we have never seen before in this league

I was with you until you quoted college stats :doh:

I still think your numbers are pretty good, maybe rein in the yardage and rushing yards a bit, but I also expect him to do most of his damage in the second half of the season. Early games are going to be rough, 150 passing, 1 int, 30 rush, etc. Once he gets in the comfort zone I'm thinking more like 200yd, 1td, 1 int, 50rush 1 td on weeks he's matched up against soft D. That's 21-25 points late in the season when you need it.

Or he'll be Jamarcus 2.0 (which was my original thought of him when he was still at Auburn).

I was with you until you quoted college stats :doh:

I still think your numbers are pretty good, maybe rein in the yardage and rushing yards a bit, but I also expect him to do most of his damage in the second half of the season. Early games are going to be rough, 150 passing, 1 int, 30 rush, etc. Once he gets in the comfort zone I'm thinking more like 200yd, 1td, 1 int, 50rush 1 td on weeks he's matched up against soft D. That's 21-25 points late in the season when you need it.

Or he'll be Jamarcus 2.0 (which was my original thought of him when he was still at Auburn).

Yea i agree.. I definitely do not think this is something you want to roll the dice with early on in the season.. I am saying by the 2nd half of the season I really believe we will see remarkable improvement from this guy, and a bye-week filler

definitely worth the roster sport in keeper/dynasty leagues

Athletic Ability unlike anything we have ever seen in this league

OK you're gonna need to settle down a little bit. Yes he's talented, but really? I drafted him as my back up to Tom Brady in the 13th round of my keeper league, but that's a pretty lofty statement.

Gotta give the OP credit. Not many people were touting Cam as a viable starting QB in fantasy. Kudos. :thumbsup:

Newton or Fitzpatrick will be the big free agent decision for a lot of owners this week.

In our league, my buddy picked up Cam about a week ago. Fitzpatrick is in the FA pool, but I'm 12/12 in the waiver order. Currently have Freeman and Collins as my qb's. I think I'll wait and see if Fitz falls to me before I make an offer on Cam. I have no idea what Newton's value is, but I'll be sure to keep in touch with his owner on the offers he's getting.

Consider how many quarterbacks have never thrown for 400 yards and this dude does it in his first professional game. Smith, Olsen, DeAngelo and Stewart are a pretty nice supporting cast too. It should be a fun year for Panther fans.

Gotta give the OP credit. Not many people were touting Cam as a viable starting QB in fantasy. Kudos. :thumbsup:

Thanks KSB... I really think the guy has all the tools to be a Great QB in this league.. and definitely is fantasy relevant this year.. as he proved in Week 1

Now the real challenge will be to see how he does vs Green Bay this weekend.. with a Great Defensive Coordinator and one of the Top Defenses in the league.. I am going to the game.. Should be a lot of fun!!

I'll say this too.. the guy was one of the most exciting QB's I have ever watched.. when he was in the game everyone was "Glued" to the television.. because you didn't know what he was going to do... and he threw an absolute beautiful deep ball 5 or 6 times ... was threading the needle all game, and made a lot of "Mature" QB decisions... it was almost unreal to watch... not to mention about 3 or 4 times he was an ankle tackle away from breaking off a 20-40 yard run...

If anyone has NFL network.. i would definitely recommend watching the game to see it for yourself when they replay it

I had Cam Newton at the top of my list but drafted Anthony Dixon to handcuff Gore (Hunter was already picked). I already had 3 QBs (I usually draft 3 or more). Will never make that mistake again. Stupid handcuffs.

:cheers: :doublethumbsup: :cheers:

I would have never guessed 400+ yards and 3 TDs in his first game. That's going to F with my plan. Stupid ww runs.

I do not expect him to have a good game this week in the least. Hopefully that will cause him to fall off rosters as fast as he gets added this week, because I can't grab him cause Amendola sprained his vagendola and now I have to replace him :cry:

CAR > TB this year? :unsure:

Arizona Def coordinator should be one of the unemployed today, pulling for congress to extend benefits. How in the F*CK do you leave Steve Smith single covered not once, but twice for td's???

Really?

The kid has a rocket arm, but i don't see him staying upright long if he keeps tucking it in and taking off. Which he'll do because he's not adept at progressing through his reads. Rocket arm though...

Arizona Def coordinator should be one of the unemployed today, pulling for congress to extend benefits. How in the F*CK do you leave Steve Smith single covered not once, but twice for td's???

Really?

The kid has a rocket arm, but i don't see him staying upright long if he keeps tucking it in and taking off. Which he'll do because he's not adept at progressing through his reads. Rocket arm though...

Did you watch the game? Because Newton actually did a good job of getting through his reads yesterday. I'm not saying he won't get hurt. But the reason for that isn't because he just tucks and runs. He did an outstanding job of getting to his 2nd and 3rd read. Amazing for a rookie coming out of that spread offense.

a rookie QB goes for 400 yards ever thing gee maybe he is that good? Can't rememeber that being done for a while

Before we anoint him the second coming, let's wait and see how Newton does against a decent defense. Who knows, maybe he'll be a decent QB, but it's way too early to tell. The Arizona CBs are really really terrible--that's the takeaway I got from this game.

Starting him would be insane unless you had no other options. Since there were really no significant injuries week 1, that shouldn't be the case. Unless you're playing in a 24 team league or something.

But I definitely liked some of what I saw from him. I think the thing that can't be ignored is that he made a few bad decisions and should have had another pick if it weren't for that terrible Roughing the QB call. He can definitely be an excellent spot starter for teams filling in for byes or injuries because of his big play ability, which makes him worth a roster spot.

I couldn't agree more with OP about what rushing ability does for a QB's consistency and we haven't seen anyone with that kind of ability back there besides Michael Vick. I except him to be a hot commodity on the waiver wire this week. I'm definitely putting in a claim for him, but my hopes aren't high since I'll probably be on the back end of the waiver order.

I have Matt Ryan and Kyle suck Orton on my roster. I am also #1 on the waiver wire list - I am picking up Newton today.

Did you watch the game? Because Newton actually did a good job of getting through his reads yesterday. I'm not saying he won't get hurt. But the reason for that isn't because he just tucks and runs. He did an outstanding job of getting to his 2nd and 3rd read. Amazing for a rookie coming out of that spread offense.

Newton had to throw to his 2nd or 3rd read on Sunday? Really? His first read was open just about every time. What he did was VERY impressive in his first NFL start, but this week is the real test.

That being said, if you need QB help and have the roster space, you obviously need to try to grab Newton off waivers this week.

When Grossman lights up the Cards for 325 yards and 3 TD's this weekend, we will all see where the "credit", I mean "blame" goes! :cheers:

Can't rememeber that being done for a while

That's because it's never been done. LINK

Time will tell. I have him backing up Brady and those two combined outscored quite a few teams by themselves. Here's wishing I could start 2 QBs.