Sign in to follow this  
edjr

if 2 teams go 0 - 16, who gets the 1st pick?

:dunno:

The team that played the easier schedule gets the first pick. I had already looked it up thinking the same thing!!

That's strange. Would have thought it followed the division/conference record formula.

Always surprises me when an NFL rule makes sense.

Team from the conference that wins the Probowl gets the first pick.

Just following Baseballs lead. :rolleyes:

Take away Selig's HFA goes to the ASG winner, the NL would have had HFA this year anyway...

Take away Selig's HFA goes to the ASG winner, the NL would have had HFA this year anyway...

Why?

Shouldn't it then just go to the team in the WS with the best record? Like it does in every single other sport, including baseball before the WS.

Why?

Shouldn't it then just go to the team in the WS with the best record? Like it does in every single other sport, including baseball before the WS.

MLB, before the ASG meant something, alternated between the AL park and NL park... 2002 was in the AL park, the last World Series to have the alternating schedule...

This from nfl.com:

==============================================================

TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURE FOR SELECTION MEETING

Clubs not participating in the playoffs shall select in the first through 20th positions in reverse standings order.

The Super Bowl winner is last and Super Bowl loser is next-to-last.

The losers of the Conference Championship games shall select 29th and 30th based on won-lost-tied percentage.

The losers of the Divisional playoff games shall select 25th through 28th based on won-lost-tied percentage.

The losers of the Wild Card games shall select 21st through 24th based on won-lost-tied percentage.

If ties exist in any grouping except (2) above, such ties shall be broken by strength-of-schedule. If any ties cannot be broken by strength-of-schedule, the divisional or conference tie-breakers, if applicable, shall be applied. Any ties that still exist shall be broken by a coin flip.

============================================================================================================

Basically, if you do have 2 teams tied at 0-16, and tie on the strength of schedule tiebreaker, the first pick would be determined by a coin flip, as both teams would also tie in all conference and division tiebreakers.

However, The only team that I could see going 0-16 would be Miami. St. Louis still has several games within its own division with AZ, SEA, and SF. Same with Indy, as they still have 2 games vs. JAX and TEN

I love how with all the stats in the NFL they could use as a 3rd tie breaker, they decided to go with coin flip.

Strength of Schedule.

Then divisional or conference tie breakers.

If they are still tied after that. Fock it, let's just coin flip, I'm tired of looking at numbers.

Why not overall point differential or something? I hate to have Luck decided on a coin flip. (get it?)

That's strange. Would have thought it followed the division/conference record formula.

Always surprises me when an NFL rule makes sense.

In this case they are both 0-16 so any tiebreaker involving record isnt gonna help.

I love how with all the stats in the NFL they could use as a 3rd tie breaker, they decided to go with coin flip.

Strength of Schedule.

Then divisional or conference tie breakers.

If they are still tied after that. Fock it, let's just coin flip, I'm tired of looking at numbers.

Why not overall point differential or something? I hate to have Luck decided on a coin flip. (get it?)

Way before these rules were put in place, Pittsburgh won a coin flip over Chicago for the first pick in the 1970 draft. That pick was Terry Bradshaw.

Way before these rules were put in place, Pittsburgh won a coin flip over Chicago for the first pick in the 1970 draft. That pick was Terry Bradshaw.

There are other coin flips in Steelers' history that didn't work out quite as well.

The worst QB to ever win a super bowl. But hey, I'm sure he can't hear me with his 4 rings.

i dont like SOS as a tiebreaker at all.

what if the 2-14 team you lost to in week 2 was really good that week and then suffered season ending injuries to 3 of their stars or something like that?

flip a focking coin

Worse than Dilfer?

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/7401/could-alex-smith-become-the-worst-quarterback-to-ever-win-a-super-bowl

The clincher, though, is that Bradshaw was actually benched during the season in which he won the Super Bowl! As far as we can tell, no other quarterback has ever been benched and gone on to win the Super Bowl during the same season.

The worst QB to win a Super Bowl may have been Earl Morrall in SB V. Bradshaw's stat lines were pretty bad when the Steelers won their first two. But he was the main reason they won their last two after the bump and run was outlawed.

Hard to compare between eras, but Eli Manning, Jeff Hostetler, Trent Dilfer, and Doug Williams have to be in the coversation. However, the answer to "Worst QB to win a SB" might be the most overrated QB of all-time, Joe Namath.

The worst QB to win a Super Bowl may have been Earl Morrall in SB V. Bradshaw's stat lines were pretty bad when the Steelers won their first two. But he was the main reason they won their last two after the bump and run was outlawed.

Morall was a backup to Unitas. Unitas started Super Bowl 5 and was knocked out of the game. You are probably just looking at morall's career stats and they are not comparable to today's pass happy league. But Moral was good enough to be MVP of the NFL. Guys like Dilfer were never close to being considered MVP of the league.