Sign in to follow this  
bkbergen

ties in playoffs

What do you guys do if a tie happens during the playoffs. We do not have one but I want a rule in place in case a tie happens next year. I always wanted to go to decimal scoring if a tie. Others had wanted the bench scoring to break tie.

why not just make the league decimal scoring for all games? don't get using non-decimal scoring, seems so silly to me.

Decimal no question.

Bench scoring is retarded IMO.

:thumbsup:

And, on the off (off, off, off) chance that the score is still a tie after decimal scoring is applied, I've always been a fan of giving the high seed a Home Field Advantage, and awarding them the win.

We don't use decimal scoring either - we like it clean and simple (not trying to get into the decimal vs. non-decimal scoring debate - to each their own). For us, bench scoring is completely out of the question since QBs tend to outscore every other position and this would open itself up to a bench full of QBs for the playoffs. We use highest scoring individual performer in the starting lineup breaks the tie. A Fantasy Bowl MVP if you will. Not right or wrong, just the way we do it.

Has never happened but it's there just in case.

Never liked decimal scoring in regular season. I figure if the nfl can have ties so can we. But in the playoffs, if I tie came about I wanted to convert to decimal scoring. Maybe I will bring up changing the whole year to decimal scoring and tell my league not to ###### @ me if you lose a game by .9 points when you would have one by 4 points w/ the old scoring system!

Decimal scoring is "ghey" because it's not the way we do it in our league. Just wanted to clear that up. If you carry small rosters, bench points work. They are a good gauge of a team's overall strength. It's also how we do it, so it must be the best way. But if you're in one of those leagues where the entire NFL is rostered, bench points don't work.

Our wonderfully perfect league uses bench points as the first tiebreaker. In regular season games, if bench points don't settle things the game is a tie. During the first and second playoff rounds, where ties don't work, we go "ghey" and turn to decimal scoring as the second tiebreaker - first for starters and, if we're still tied, we use the Dewey Decimal System on the bench. If this doesn't work, we quit and go get drunk.

For the championship game, our One True League doesn't break ties. If the score is tied, the game is tied. The pot is split and we go get drunk. Hasn't happened yet. The pot splitting, that is. The getting drunk part happens regularly. Splitting the pot is no big deal as the winner, traditionally, picks up the bar tab. This usually leaves him with roughly $1.38 by the time the cops arrive.

We have a great tiebreaker system for determining playoff spots. It's apparently whatever results in the commissioner's team making the playoffs with a 2-12 record. This year it was blood type.

Decimal scoring? Is this math class or fantasy football? Bench scoring? You mean guys tha didn't even get started have a say in my game? What's the matter with you all? The solution is easy. It's called home field advantage for the higher seeds for the playoff games. Our playoff teams rank 1 through 6. The top two get a bye and seeds 3 & 4 host seeds 5 & 6. Our home teams get a 2.5 point home field advantage bonus. That means the visiting team has to win by three points which is what Vegas says home field is roughy worth.

I know, the 2.5 is decimal.... But that's the bonus only.

Easy and realistic. No bench BS and no final scores that look look like something out of a physics instructional booklet. :)

Decimal scoring is the way to go. We used to have 2-3 ties a year. Even if you go to one decimal point, you are not going to have nearly the possibility of a tie. It really does not impact the game negatively in any way and we made a smooth transition in one of our leagues a couple of years ago. All of the major sites support it.

I would have the tie breaker be the higher seed for the playoffs though. Bench scoring is not a good indicator in that it is dependent on what positions you choose to backup. Heck, if you have a lot of points on your bench, that means you are probably a crappy manager. ;)

Heck, if you have a lot of points on your bench, that means you are probably a crappy manager. ;)

Really? Perhaps, maybe, possibly, it means you have a team with a ton of depth. And that you use this depth to take advantage of spot plays rather than go with the same old lineup each week. Nah. Means you're probably a crappy manager. Better to go with fractions, just like the NFL does. And figure skating.

Really? Perhaps, maybe, possibly, it means you have a team with a ton of depth. And that you use this depth to take advantage of spot plays rather than go with the same old lineup each week. Nah. Means you're probably a crappy manager. Better to go with fractions, just like the NFL does. And figure skating.

I have traditionally had the most points on my bench because I have the most depth. I had so much depth this year, it cost me the championship. I switched one mediocre guy for another mediocre guy 45 minutes before kickoff and it cost me that semifinal game (would have won the championship easily this week). My statement in that regard was actually a shot at myself.

The NFL is different. Not sure if you realize this, but the NFL does not allow ties in the playoffs. It can't happen. They don't see if team A's best WR can broad jump 12 feet. They keep playing until someone wins. That will not work in fantasy, so you have to come up with something that is fair and prevents ties.

I can't see how having decimal scoring in FANTASY football is really that much of an issue for some people. :dunno:

I can't see how having decimal scoring in FANTASY football is really that much of an issue for some people. :dunno:

No problem with decimal scoring. Problem is with people who insist everyone does everything their way. And make obviously flawed generalizations about those who don't. Yes, you sometimes feel like an idiot when that handful of guys on your bench score more points than your starting lineup. But they still count the win. And the inability to predict that some WR3 will go off for 30 points against the NFL's best pass defense doesn't make you a crappy manager. It makes you a crappy psychic.

No problem with decimal scoring. Problem is with people who insist everyone does everything their way. And make obviously flawed generalizations about those who don't. Yes, you sometimes feel like an idiot when that handful of guys on your bench score more points than your starting lineup. But they still count the win. And the inability to predict that some WR3 will go off for 30 points against the NFL's best pass defense doesn't make you a crappy manager. It makes you a crappy psychic.

I guess I am missing your point. The OP asked how to settle ties in the playoffs. I suggested going decimal scoring even during the regular season. It is one click on the site setup and it helps address an in-season issue as well. If the OP does not want to take that advice, it is no skin off my ass.

I am also not making any flawed generalizations as far as a crappy manager goes. I guess self-deprecating humor escapes you. :dunno:

We use starting RB/WR, then K, Def, TE and QB.

If there is still a tie after that the f'ers can spilt the pot.

Decimal scoring? Is this math class or fantasy football? Bench scoring? You mean guys tha didn't even get started have a say in my game? What's the matter with you all? The solution is easy. It's called home field advantage for the higher seeds for the playoff games. Our playoff teams rank 1 through 6. The top two get a bye and seeds 3 & 4 host seeds 5 & 6. Our home teams get a 2.5 point home field advantage bonus. That means the visiting team has to win by three points which is what Vegas says home field is roughy worth.

I know, the 2.5 is decimal.... But that's the bonus only.

Easy and realistic. No bench BS and no final scores that look look like something out of a physics instructional booklet. :)

This is the dumbest thing i have ever heard of. :wacko: It's Decimal scoring period.

Our wonderfully perfect league uses bench points as the first tiebreaker. In regular season games, if bench points don't settle things the game is a tie. During the first and second playoff rounds, where ties don't work, we go "ghey" and turn to decimal scoring as the second tiebreaker - first for starters and, if we're still tied, we use the Dewey Decimal System on the bench. If this doesn't work, we quit and go get drunk.

For the championship game, our One True League doesn't break ties. If the score is tied, the game is tied. The pot is split and we go get drunk. Hasn't happened yet. The pot splitting, that is. The getting drunk part happens regularly. Splitting the pot is no big deal as the winner, traditionally, picks up the bar tab. This usually leaves him with roughly $1.38 by the time the cops arrive.

We have a great tiebreaker system for determining playoff spots. It's apparently whatever results in the commissioner's team making the playoffs with a 2-12 record. This year it was blood type.

This is the funniest post you've made thus far imo.

All but one of my leagues use decimal scoring, and I prefer to have it that way. To each their own.

Decimal Scoring, if you don't like decimal scoring then

Higher Ranked Team, if that makes you uncomfortable then

Highest Scoring Starting Individual, but whatever you do ...

DO NOT USE BENCH AS A TIE BREAKING MEASURE ... DUMB!

Most smart teams have these things called "handcuffs" that don't score points ... so you are going to penalize them? NO!

I'm surprised at the number of leagues that do their own calculations for scoring. We use a website that actually calculates your teams points as the game progresses. You just set the preference to decimal scoring and it does all the work. I can see where you guys who do all your own math would hate decimal scoring.

Since we went to decimal scoring a couple of years ago, there have been no ties in my league. We used to use bench points, then finally realized anyone you kept on your bench doesn't deserve to be a factor in your game.

Our tiebreaker is most yardage points from your starters - basically, just subtract TDs, and kicker and D/ST points from your total. In the regular season, if it's still tied, it's a tie. In the playoffs, the higher seed is the second tiebreaker.

We actually had games which were decided by LESS than .1 pts this year. That is LESS than a yard. Ouch.

Decimal scoring is the true equalizer, and pretty much eliminates all ties.

We actually had games which were decided by LESS than .1 pts this year. That is LESS than a yard. Ouch.

Decimal scoring is the true equalizer, and pretty much eliminates all ties.

Two years ago in a total points league we had a tie for 1st place. It was something like 1892.4 to 1892.4 so always have a FINAL tie break like a coin toss.

Decimal scoring is "ghey" because it's not the way we do it in our league. Just wanted to clear that up. If you carry small rosters, bench points work. They are a good gauge of a team's overall strength. It's also how we do it, so it must be the best way. But if you're in one of those leagues where the entire NFL is rostered, bench points don't work.

If by "ghey" you mean "accurate", I agree. Nine yards rushing and nine yards receiving (1.8 points) should be worth more than 10 yards rushing (1.0). Nothing like arbitrary levels.

For playoff tie break, I prefer the higher seed. After all, 13 or 14 weeks should count for something. An alternative is actual NFL points. I never hear this one mentioned but I like it... TDs, field goals, extra points, safties, etc.

Agree a tie in the championship game should yield co-champs. Get drunk and compare blood types.

decimal is the way to go. my league went to decimal and never had any more ties.

19 yards = 1.9 points makes more sense than 19 yards = 1 point.

i would never play in a non decimal league anymore, it just doesn't make sense to not get all the yards a player gets and to make it worse, round down.

a player with 59 yards deserves more points than another player with 50 yards.