Sign in to follow this  
RoadLizard

Green Bay and New England: An easy road to the Super Bowl...

Looking at this years playoff tree, it's quite obvious that both the Packers and the Pats have a pretty easy road to the Super Bowl. I'd say in Green Bays case it will be slightly easier. Who the hell in the NFC can top them? The Saints seem to have the firepower but ain't no way they can play their game in Lambeau. Other than the Saints, there just isn't anybody even worth considering. The Niners are one of those high seeds that just ended up there due to a horrific division. The Niners have .500 talent at best. I know the Giants are always sneaky and have had good playoff runs as a lower seed before but not this year. Uh uh. The rest of th NFC is a pukefest.

As for New England, the Ravens are the only team to ever give them a tough time and that was back when their defense was a little more stout and Brady really had a lousy game too. It could happen again but they'd have to play each other which may or may not happen. Otherwise, the Steelers just aren't healthy enough and the rest of the AFC just isn't that good. The Texans are just bleh. Denver....do I even have to go there? Cinncy? Nah.

Not saying something crazy can't happen because it can but realistically if the Pats and Packers play well, that along with home field pretty much seals the deal. Should be a great Super Bowl with lots of high flying action. Can't complain about that! :thumbsup:

Pittsburgh beat NE. I would argue that all three AFCN teams will be a tough matchup for NE. All three have good defenses and offenses that can score a lot against NE. An AFCN team will make the Super Bowl.

I guess that is why they play for the top seed....

And NE can be beat by anyone in the playoffs on the AFC side. They haven't beat a winning team all year, and they will have to in the playoffs. I am not saying they won't win, but they will be tested. With GB... it depends who makes it past round one. I think ATL, NO, and the Giants can give them fits.

I am still predicting Ravens Packers SuperBowl.

Pittsburgh beat NE. I would argue that all three AFCN teams will be a tough matchup for NE. All three have good defenses and offenses that can score a lot against NE. An AFCN team will make the Super Bowl.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but Cincy does not have a good offense. And Brady is gonna destroy their secondary if they get by Houston. Hell, TJ Yates went for 300 against them without Andre Johnson.

NFC is loaded. Green Bay is the best team, but New Orleans, San Francisco, and the Giants are all better than the AFC's 1 seed.

On the AFC side, it's wide open. I don't see a clear favorite, although if Pittsburgh was healthy I'd take them.

I think you are severely over rating both teams, especially the Patriots.

While it's not their fault the Jets blow the Pats haven't beaten a winning team all year and constantly fall behind huge to teams.

They fell behind 21-0 to the Bills yesterday?

I will take the Ravens to come into Foxboro and stomp out the Pats just like they did a few years ago.

The Giants look like a legit dark horse that can go into GB and win. So does Detroit IMO.

NE is in a fortunate position of having an extra week of defensive practice and they don't have to travel at all. If Cincy beats Hou, NE will really need to win one challenging game(I think they make easy work of Cincy), at home. I think they have a pretty good shot. I think the Ravens beat the Steelers at home, then beat NE on the road and go.

Packers D is questionable, we all know that. But can anyone stop the offense, even without Rodgers?! I think Giants and Saints both win, and the Giants have a shot, if no one gets hurt, to beat the Pack(remember the last game?). If that doesn't happen, I don't think SF or NO can go there and win the NFC title.

Ravens-Packers

Would like to see '08 rematch of Giants/Pats.

Would really like to see a random crazy game of Lions/Bengals......lowest SB ratings in history probably.

I like New England's chances a lot less than I did last year.

I don't see how you can start out 14 - 0 and 21 - 0 and win in the playoffs.

if that doesn't change, they are in big trouble.

maybe they will win the 1st game, only because of who they are playing.

if they win and meet balt or pitt in the afc champ, they are in trouble. They could play pitt next week, if houston wins this week.

I am not saying they can't win, I just don't like their chances as much as I did last year with that defense.

Some good points here but overall, especially factoring home field, it's going be tough to unseat the top seeds this year.

NE and that defense can be beat by EVERY team but Denver on AFC side. That is not a playoff defense.

IF KC can beat GB, then any of those teams can do it.

Pitts, Balt or Houston can be NE.

I love post like this, didn't some people just want to crown NE a year or so ago and they lost, what....FIRST GAME OF PLAYOFFS AT HOME?

Any team can win, any game. Plain and simple.

As much as it pains me to say (Lions fan), I like the Saints in the NFC. The poor GB and DET run game will be a big problem for them. The Pack beat the Saints in week 2 but it was very close. The Saints played better most of the game, but had fell behind early.

Any team can win, any game. Plain and simple.

Even the 2008 Lions? :dunno:

As much as it pains me to say (Lions fan), I like the Saints in the NFC. The poor GB and DET run game will be a big problem for them. The Pack beat the Saints in week 2 but it was very close. The Saints played better most of the game, but had fell behind early.

That game was in New Orleans right? I'm rooting for the Saints, Lions or GMen to come out of the NFC but for whatever reason I don't think the Saints can go into Green Bay and win.

Too often the Saints aren't as dynamic on the road as they are at home.

I think the Lions and Gmen at least have the pass rush to be able be able to slightly disrupt Green Bay's offense.

Too often the Saints aren't as dynamic on the road as they are at home.

The Saints were the last victory for both the hapless Buccaneers and hapless Rams.... That's kinda amazing...

every team outside of the lions in the nfc has the ability to pound the ball and control the clock against the packers. does that mean they will? no. but you'd think someone will eventually make the suck-ass defense pay.

then again, the refs in lambeau are the 12, 13, 14, and 15th men in the huddle for the packers.

As much as it pains me to say (Lions fan), I like the Saints in the NFC. The poor GB and DET run game will be a big problem for them.

The poor GB running game hasn't really been a problem for the Pack in the last 22 games... (21 victories; one loss-- where they actually ran the ball pretty well) don't know why it would matter now... Is there a particular reason why it would be? :dunno:

The Pack beat the Saints in week 2 but it was very close. The Saints played better most of the game, but had fell behind early.

Saints were behind by 15 points for about 80 percent of that game... I'm not sure where this "played better" is coming from... :lol:

NFC is loaded. Green Bay is the best team, but New Orleans, San Francisco, and the Giants are all better than the AFC's 1 seed.

On the AFC side, it's wide open. I don't see a clear favorite, although if Pittsburgh was healthy I'd take them.

I agree. Atlanta and Detroit can also be considered as a worthy opponents vs. the weaker AFC teams. The Giants are peaking at the right time,and look scary.

every team outside of the lions in the nfc has the ability to pound the ball and control the clock against the packers. does that mean they will? no. but you'd think someone will eventually make the suck-ass defense pay.

then again, the refs in lambeau are the 12, 13, 14, and 15th men in the huddle for the packers. :cry:

The poor GB running game hasn't really been a problem for the Pack in the last 22 games... (21 victories; one loss-- where they actually ran the ball pretty well) don't know why it would matter now... Is there a particular reason why it would be? :dunno:

Saints were behind by 15 points for about 80 percent of that game... I'm not sure where this "played better" is coming from... :lol:

I think New Orleans would try to force GB to run. What we see vs. DET should be a preview of what we'd see in GB. They're going to smother Megatron and dare DET to run.

In week 2 NO fell behind 21-7 in the first quarter and had to change their game plan up. It still came down to a GB GL stop on the last play of the game. The Saints are much more balanced now. If they don't fall behind early, I think they win that game.

I really hope im wrong. I'd love to see DET in Lambeau. I think this is the worst possible match-up for DET. I can see us making a run at this thing, if we can somehow get by NO. Just my .02.

NE and that defense can be beat by EVERY team but Denver on AFC side. That is not a playoff defense.

Newsflash, there are no great defenses anymore. Pittsburgh's defense isn't great nor is Baltimore's. With all the rule changes it makes it damn near impossible to cover a wr. I agree the Patriots defense is awful but I fail to see any shutdown defenses out there. I think the offenses will once again go up and down the field at will just as we've seen all regular season. The one factor that might put an end to that trend is the weather where yes I agree that a team like Pitt/Balt could have an advantage. If the weather isn't windy or inclement I think the defenses are much less of a factor as none are the 85 Bears. At this point with the NFL being what it is (and I liked it better before it became the National Fantasy League) I'd take a great offense over a top defense. I'd argue that the Steelers and Ravens can be beat by pretty much every team in the playoffs as well. It's wide open and almost nothing would surprise me in the AFC. In the NFC I see it as a two team race with GB/N.O. and the Giants as a dark horse. In a nutshell this whole defense issue is overblown.

Newsflash, there are no great defenses anymore. Pittsburgh's defense isn't great nor is Baltimore's. With all the rule changes it makes it damn near impossible to cover a wr. I agree the Patriots defense is awful but I fail to see any shutdown defenses out there. I think the offenses will once again go up and down the field at will just as we've seen all regular season. The one factor that might put an end to that trend is the weather where yes I agree that a team like Pitt/Balt could have an advantage. If the weather isn't windy or inclement I think the defenses are much less of a factor as none are the 85 Bears. At this point with the NFL being what it is (and I liked it better before it became the National Fantasy League) I'd take a great offense over a top defense. I'd argue that the Steelers and Ravens can be beat by pretty much every team in the playoffs as well. It's wide open and almost nothing would surprise me in the AFC. In the NFC I see it as a two team race with GB/N.O. and the Giants as a dark horse. In a nutshell this whole defense issue is overblown.

There is a difference to having weak spots in a D or some occasional breakdowns and having a liability on D like NE has.

In week 2 NO fell behind 21-7 in the first quarter and had to change their game plan up. It still came down to a GB GL stop on the last play of the game. The Saints are much more balanced now. If they don't fall behind early, I think they win that game.

I really hope im wrong. I'd love to see DET in Lambeau. I think this is the worst possible match-up for DET. I can see us making a run at this thing, if we can somehow get by NO. Just my .02.

Wasn't that the first game of the NFL season? ....and I would rather face any team other than the giants in the NFC Championship.

I think New Orleans will try to force GB to run. What we see vs. DET should be a preview of what we'd see in GB. They're going to smother Megatron and dare DET to run. In week 2 they fell behind 21-7 in the first quarter and had to change their game plan up. It still came down to a GB GL stop on the last play of the game. The Saints are much more balanced now. If they don't fall behind early, I think they win. Just my .02.

Ok... I just disagree with you on many different fronts... I don't think the Packers "smothered" CJ (250 yards!?) nor do I think they were bringing their top schemes, blitzes and certainly top players (last 2 DPOY* held out on the sidelines).

The Packers were up by 15 for most of the game against NO... They keep doing what they were doing the whole game (going through NO defense like a hot knife through butter) they win by that 15...There was no resistance to Rodgers and the WRs whatsoever.... reminded me of Flynn yesterday... But the Pack went 3 into the pile and got ridiculously conservative giving NO one last desperation attempt...

Regardless, I don't think that game in Sept. has any bearing on this upcoming game.

Saints and Pack gotta get there first... plenty of stumbling blocks...

If that happens, the Saints can win... but da Pack will :cheers:

*Matthews shoulda been... he got robbed :lol:

There is a difference to having weak spots in a D or some occasional breakdowns and having a liability on D like NE has.

I'll give you that, it is a liability but my point is I don't see any team shutting down quality offenses on a consistent basis. Years ago a defense like the Pats' would have been a death sentence. With today's NFL you just have to score 35 points every week to offset it. As a fan of defensive football the whole league is painful to watch today where you can't even breath near the qb or wr without being flagged.

Even the 2008 Lions? :dunno:

And almost the 2011 Colts!!!! The Lions had a couple games that year they could have/should have won. They didn't, but they could have. But a valid point.

The Pats are a non-factor in these playoffs if you ask me. They're just not that good. :dunno:

I agree. Pats are a house of cards.

I just can't take a team seriously that falls behind 21-0 at home to the Bills.

I'll give you that, it is a liability but my point is I don't see any team shutting down quality offenses on a consistent basis. Years ago a defense like the Pats' would have been a death sentence. With today's NFL you just have to score 35 points every week to offset it. As a fan of defensive football the whole league is painful to watch today where you can't even breath near the qb or wr without being flagged.

Playoff football my man. It's entirely different then playing Buffalo, Jets and Miami 3/8 of your games.

Have the Pats beat a team with a winning record this year?

GB has a worse defense than the Pats, barely..but the stats don't lie. Not so sure why everyone thinks Baltimore has a legitimate shot to make it as besides Rice they have no offense. No chance in hell Flacco could outduel Brady even with the Pats pourus defense. The Packers will lose at the hands of the Giants or Saints, bank on it.

Pats vs Saints is my final prediction.

Here is what we so often forget:

The hot team entering the playoffs usually fares very well. Teams resting players usually don't. The regular season means nothing now. GB is an awesome team, but they can be beat by the Saints in GB. Saints are the Hot team right now, and they can pound the rock effectively enough with Sproles, Ivory, and Frenchy to compete in the frozen tundra. Brees is in a zone. Patriots are hot also. The 21 points conceded to Buffalo was an anomaly.....the 49 unanswered points was legit. I think that Belichick is getting Ridley, with fresh legs, warmed up for the stretch to compliment Law Firm.....so they can pound the rock when needed. Brady/Gronk/Hernandez are an unstoppable force.

I think NE plays the Saints.

I'll go out on a limb, sure a lot of you will disagree & that's ok, but I think both home field teams(Pats,Packers) don't make it to the SB. Baltimore wins one at home and as the #2 seed makes it to the Superbowl for the AFC.In the NFC, yes even a bolder pick, their #2 seed the San Francisco 49ers amazingly win the NFC thus setting up a Turkey Day rematch of the Harbaugh brothers in the Superbowl. Only this time the outcome is different with the 49ers defense locking down the Ravens O and the Niners offense puts enough points on the board to win their 6th ring tying them with the Steelers. It'll be low scoring but entertaining as they sack Flacco all day long and put the clamps on Ray Rice. Rookie phenom & future sack artist,Aldon Smith, ends up being the MVP with 5 sacks & a fumble recovery.

So while it may seem to be an easy road to the Superbowl for the Pats & Packers they both stumble and don't make it. If either of them were to I would hope it'd bethe Packers and I think Rodgers is only getting better. Rodgers & the Pack could be a dynasty for the next few years and Aaron has at least another 2 if not 3 superbowl titles in him. The Packers will certainly be the hardest team to get by if a team wants to make it to the superbowl. I think the Niners D can get to him and put him on the turf and limit his production. That is the key to beating the Packers, putting Rodgers on the ground, and I think the 49ers will do that.

Here is what we so often forget:

The hot team entering the playoffs usually fares very well. Teams resting players usually don't. The regular season means nothing now. GB is an awesome team, but they can be beat by the Saints in GB. Saints are the Hot team right now, and they can pound the rock effectively enough with Sproles, Ivory, and Frenchy to compete in the frozen tundra. Brees is in a zone. Patriots are hot also. The 21 points conceded to Buffalo was an anomaly.....the 49 unanswered points was legit. I think that Belichick is getting Ridley, with fresh legs, warmed up for the stretch to compliment Law Firm.....so they can pound the rock when needed. Brady/Gronk/Hernandez are an unstoppable force.

I think NE plays the Saints.

They (TEs) are unstoppable when they play the crap teams they have been up against. And NE is never going to be able to pound the ball vs. Balt, Pitt or Hou.

I really see GB losing early and not making it to the title game. Their defense is as equally bad as NE but they have big names on it so they appear better than they are. The reason Rodgers had to put up such big numbers is to hide their defense, kind of like what NE did this year and in the past

GB has a worse defense than the Pats, barely..but the stats don't lie. Not so sure why everyone thinks Baltimore has a legitimate shot to make it as besides Rice they have no offense. No chance in hell Flacco could outduel Brady even with the Pats pourus defense. The Packers will lose at the hands of the Giants or Saints, bank on it.

Pats vs Saints is my final prediction.

Stats do lie. Or they don't tell the whole truth... which can be just as bad

Stats don't tell you how many stops and how many turnovers a defense causes so their team can get up 38-14...

Stats accumulated every week in the late 3rd and 4th quarter against the Packer prevent when they are crushing opponents or putting the 2nd string in don't count any different from stats accumulated while the game is still in contention.

Yet they most definitely should...

But the Packers don't care about stats otherwise they would have played Rodgers and their starters yesterday and they wouldn't pull Rodgers in the 3rd quarter in games when Brees/Brady are throwing touchdown passes up 24/25 with 1 or 2 minutes left in the game...

The only stat the Packers care about is 15-1...

And, of course, Lombardi Trophies...

I realize it's very trendy to pick against the Packers but nobody has given me anything concrete as to why... :dunno:

Compared to last year, where they were decimated by injuries, playing every game in hostile environments on the road on short week's rest with much more limited preparation and limited post-season experience, I don't see how they are worse than when they were champions...

The first person to explain how they are worse than last year(instead of just picking against them) wins the prize :pointstosky:

Just playing devils advocate but their defense is worse and they won't sneak up on anybody.

Starks and Jennings might be limited.

That said they are overwhelming the favorite as they should be.

They (TEs) are unstoppable when they play the crap teams they have been up against. And NE is never going to be able to pound the ball vs. Balt, Pitt or Hou.

New England has only played 2 games the whole year against teams with winning records: Pittsburgh and NY Giants, both losses. Unfortunately for them, all the playoffs teams minus Denver are winning teams.

I'll go out on a limb, sure a lot of you will disagree & that's ok, but I think both home field teams(Pats,Packers) don't make it to the SB. Baltimore wins one at home and as the #2 seed makes it to the Superbowl for the AFC.In the NFC, yes even a bolder pick, their #2 seed the San Francisco 49ers amazingly win the NFC thus setting up a Turkey Day rematch of the Harbaugh brothers in the Superbowl. Only this time the outcome is different with the 49ers defense locking down the Ravens O and the Niners offense puts enough points on the board to win their 6th ring tying them with the Steelers. It'll be low scoring but entertaining as they sack Flacco all day long and put the clamps on Ray Rice. Rookie phenom & future sack artist,Aldon Smith, ends up being the MVP with 5 sacks & a fumble recovery.

So while it may seem to be an easy road to the Superbowl for the Pats & Packers they both stumble and don't make it. If either of them were to I would hope it'd bethe Packers and I think Rodgers is only getting better. Rodgers & the Pack could be a dynasty for the next few years and Aaron has at least another 2 if not 3 superbowl titles in him. The Packers will certainly be the hardest team to get by if a team wants to make it to the superbowl. I think the Niners D can get to him and put him on the turf and limit his production. That is the key to beating the Packers, putting Rodgers on the ground, and I think the 49ers will do that.

That would be the most boring Super Bowl ever. Your guess is as good as anyone else's. I really hope you're wrong though!

I really see GB losing early and not making it to the title game. Their defense is as equally bad as NE but they have big names on it so they appear better than they are. The reason Rodgers had to put up such big numbers is to hide their defense, kind of like what NE did this year and in the past

That make sense, and i agree that both NE and GB have no defense and they they could lose early.

I think the Giants the way they played yesterday when everything was on the line, might have a edge in the NFC.

I dont think they can stop Aaron Rodgers but i think they can slow him down,and they have the offense to answer a slowed down Rodgers.

In the AFC i see a bit of the same,i see the Steelers beating DEN, NE and the Ravens to get to the Super Bowl.

Would really like to see a random crazy game of Lions/Bengals......lowest SB ratings in history probably.

Holy hell. If this happened, I'd blow a load. I was born and raised in Ohio, the wife in Detroit and we live in Indy. :shocking:

The Pats may have had somewhat of an easy schedule, but the Packers was much easier. Minnesota twice?? Cmon now. The Bills and Dolphins are much more formidable than them. Say what you will but they have had a much easier path than everyone seems to think. NE lost close games to both Pitt and the Giants, all of which NE could have won if only one play went a different way. Don't forget that the Packers technically did lose to the Giants, but a horrible call negated that.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how Baltimore makes it to the SB with Flacco. A 200 yd passing game won't get you there and you know teams will be gunning for Rice. Just look at how the Pats completely shut down McCoy during the Eagles game..they could easily do the same to Rice.

Last year it was Starks...this year its gonna be Ridley. He's got fresh legs and is exactly what the Pats need at this point.