Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

**Golf Talk** thread

I just got a Ofyssey O-works 7s Red. Love it but still shot the same.

i couldn't get a feel for the o-works insert when I was messing around with them a few week ago at golf galaxy. In fact, Ive never really cared for any of the odyssey inserts. I liked the TM Spider feel a little better.

or maybe i just don't like inserts at all which is why I went from a Ping Anser 2 straight to a cameron studio select.

i couldn't get a feel for the o-works insert when I was messing around with them a few week ago at golf galaxy. In fact, Ive never really cared for any of the odyssey inserts. I liked the TM Spider feel a little better.

or maybe i just don't like inserts at all which is why I went from a Ping Anser 2 straight to a cameron studio select.

Lines up so good and feels soft (not clicky).

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjkoviXrsbZAhVEuMAKHSBMBT0YABAJGgJpbQ&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAASE-RoO_cWB5sG6DsMgF7j9YWmqb8&sig=AOD64_2OsOGiKSIsDsgLHj858UtzeA3ksw&adurl=&ctype=5&q=&nb=9&res_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsearch.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%3B_ylt%3DAwrBTz0ycpVaDHUAcZlx.9w4%3B_ylc%3DX0kDXzR2UXZqazRMakdTUTRlaldvWUdwd2tkTWpZd01RQUFBQURkdjk3TwRfUwM5NTQwMDYzODUEX3IDMgRhY3RuA2tleWJyZARjc3JjcHZpZANfNHZRdmprNExqR1NRNGVqV29ZR3B3a2RNall3TVFBQUFBRGR2OTdPBGZyA3lmcC1ocm1vYgRmcjIDc2ItdG9wBGdwcmlkA2lQNzBaS1cwUUplWHg0RjdjSFZFQ0EEbl9yc2x0AzAEbl9zdWdnAzQEb3JpZ2luA3NlYXJjaC55YWhvby5jb20EcG9zAzAEcHFzdHIDBHBxc3RybAMwBHFzdHJsAzM1BHF1ZXJ5A29keXNzZXklMjBvLXdvcmtzJTIwcmVkJTIwN3MlMjB0YW5rBHRfc3RtcAMxNTE5NzQzNjI0BHZ0ZXN0aWQDQjUyMTM-%3Fei%3DUTF-8%26fp%3D1%26pvid%3D_4vQvjk4LjGSQ4ejWoYGpwkdMjYwMQAAAADdv97O%26gprid%3D%26.tsrc%3Dyfp-hrmob%26fr%3Dyfp-hrmob%26fr2%3Dsb-top%26p%3Dodyssey%2Bo-works%2Bred%2B7s%2Btank&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fsearch.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%3Fp%3Dodyssey%2Bo-works%2Bred%2B7s%26fr%3Dyfp-hrmob%26fr2%3Dp%253Afp%252Cm%253Asb%26.tsrc%3Dyfp-hrmob%26fp%3D1%26toggle%3D1%26cop%3Dmss%26ei%3DUTF-8&nm=5&is=344x275&clkt=6&bg=!OzilOCBEX2Wfw6DxMcoCAAAAelIAAAANmQFJ5yjXuyV6dzvMTXNdTL9sGKSRPlRi_9pBFq_oeoHfqF9IuLan9-_WsWAtwTDAUJuaE6dnO9Gwc3_cq0CWutbpMO24COHDBntr9SjijvptiwFGp_Btl7Y4iI1NCsH5DKlSsgoxkm2hWmTGWzXXL-mRh0YogXTO-8Hv_0VTUdXCvyphjcpLhKiuvh2bQw260b3zhtAc3fJhJnivrr8N2TIay86BNXe4LqmlsTLQoJcICn49fBVC6bWfk8u6bo_HXVmdNWDrwfZxv5VxqiprVkCsCxPiFa__H-Y83_pHwZsbIcGTDZFmoOKZ9YAMRp3wxaWkJqP9Ty26gH5g8ZvwEImLAcZG155a9izvBDW6SdudX_2QRz6jz_n1mZoa4f_Vz2U6V3u8SmeDJFNbzq7ZVI6ITl36wwrw9_T_W0DHjJUgiSgFj0b5z710ICA&nx=39&ny=106

Similar to what I bought but there's a white line instead of 3 dots.

Ping G, 3-wood........14.5*, Alta 65g shaft, Stiff.

http://igolfreviews.com/uploads/3/4/1/3/34139813/5518663_orig.jpg

http://wpmediars.golfwrx.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/0ba53924d1cef3239554f3f35505de99.jpg

http://wpmediars.golfwrx.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/4376190cfacec877895ae293d300c3ae.jpg

After about 4 years - I finally picked up a new 3-wood... Bcoz it's rained for about 10 days straight I've only got a chance to play it for about 36 holes........ But my initial impressions:

* Long..... This thing is really hot - especially off the tee. I hit a couple in the 240 range, which landed and splatted in the ponds that used to be a fairways. That's obviously not big boy long, but it's long for me.

* Easy to get air born.... No doubt bcoz of the extremely shallow face, this club is really easy to get up in the air.. I actually adjusted mine to 15* - just felt better.

* Alta shaft......... Not crazy about this shaft. It's good I guess, just feels a bit rigid and a little heavy for my taste.. Will prolly change it out.

* Aesthetics.... A very sleek, classic looking head. Not all will like how shallow it sits at address, but I sure do... The shallow head may be a concern once the rough grows back - will see.

* Value.... Got this as a Demo off eBay - paid $149.00. Once it arrived, looked even better than described - appeared to be brand new to me... One of the best deals out there.

Gonna be 55 and sunny today, stupid focking work :mad:

It feels like every time about this year we start getting some good weather.....always mid week.

By the time the weekends roll around it is like clockwork, those are the crappy days. Oh what would you know mid 30s it looks like this go around.

Lines up so good and feels soft (not clicky).

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjkoviXrsbZAhVEuMAKHSBMBT0YABAJGgJpbQ&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAASE-RoO_cWB5sG6DsMgF7j9YWmqb8&sig=AOD64_2OsOGiKSIsDsgLHj858UtzeA3ksw&adurl=&ctype=5&q=&nb=9&res_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsearch.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%3B_ylt%3DAwrBTz0ycpVaDHUAcZlx.9w4%3B_ylc%3DX0kDXzR2UXZqazRMakdTUTRlaldvWUdwd2tkTWpZd01RQUFBQURkdjk3TwRfUwM5NTQwMDYzODUEX3IDMgRhY3RuA2tleWJyZARjc3JjcHZpZANfNHZRdmprNExqR1NRNGVqV29ZR3B3a2RNall3TVFBQUFBRGR2OTdPBGZyA3lmcC1ocm1vYgRmcjIDc2ItdG9wBGdwcmlkA2lQNzBaS1cwUUplWHg0RjdjSFZFQ0EEbl9yc2x0AzAEbl9zdWdnAzQEb3JpZ2luA3NlYXJjaC55YWhvby5jb20EcG9zAzAEcHFzdHIDBHBxc3RybAMwBHFzdHJsAzM1BHF1ZXJ5A29keXNzZXklMjBvLXdvcmtzJTIwcmVkJTIwN3MlMjB0YW5rBHRfc3RtcAMxNTE5NzQzNjI0BHZ0ZXN0aWQDQjUyMTM-%3Fei%3DUTF-8%26fp%3D1%26pvid%3D_4vQvjk4LjGSQ4ejWoYGpwkdMjYwMQAAAADdv97O%26gprid%3D%26.tsrc%3Dyfp-hrmob%26fr%3Dyfp-hrmob%26fr2%3Dsb-top%26p%3Dodyssey%2Bo-works%2Bred%2B7s%2Btank&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fsearch.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%3Fp%3Dodyssey%2Bo-works%2Bred%2B7s%26fr%3Dyfp-hrmob%26fr2%3Dp%253Afp%252Cm%253Asb%26.tsrc%3Dyfp-hrmob%26fp%3D1%26toggle%3D1%26cop%3Dmss%26ei%3DUTF-8&nm=5&is=344x275&clkt=6&bg=!OzilOCBEX2Wfw6DxMcoCAAAAelIAAAANmQFJ5yjXuyV6dzvMTXNdTL9sGKSRPlRi_9pBFq_oeoHfqF9IuLan9-_WsWAtwTDAUJuaE6dnO9Gwc3_cq0CWutbpMO24COHDBntr9SjijvptiwFGp_Btl7Y4iI1NCsH5DKlSsgoxkm2hWmTGWzXXL-mRh0YogXTO-8Hv_0VTUdXCvyphjcpLhKiuvh2bQw260b3zhtAc3fJhJnivrr8N2TIay86BNXe4LqmlsTLQoJcICn49fBVC6bWfk8u6bo_HXVmdNWDrwfZxv5VxqiprVkCsCxPiFa__H-Y83_pHwZsbIcGTDZFmoOKZ9YAMRp3wxaWkJqP9Ty26gH5g8ZvwEImLAcZG155a9izvBDW6SdudX_2QRz6jz_n1mZoa4f_Vz2U6V3u8SmeDJFNbzq7ZVI6ITl36wwrw9_T_W0DHjJUgiSgFj0b5z710ICA&nx=39&ny=106

Similar to what I bought but there's a white line instead of 3 dots.

That's the exact model I was messing around with. I didn't find it clicky. Maybe too soft though which was usually my issue with odyssey inserts. The white hot was probably the one I liked most.

I remember cobra had a line of putters (before cobra died and then was reborn). I wanna say it was called softee or something. Good lord, that insert was like putting with a stick of butter. Terrible

Thats what Im getting, a Newport 2. Bent flat a couple degrees. Im combining this with a whole new putter approach with a compact backswing. My old putter (Scotty del mar3) was super light (310g) so my putter stoke was a lot longer and I dealt with some decel issues. Trying to be a compact as possible. Will take me some time to work it out

It feels like every time about this year we start getting some good weather.....always mid week.

By the time the weekends roll around it is like clockwork, those are the crappy days. Oh what would you know mid 30s it looks like this go around.

:wall:

A few of the guys that play in our matches are retired. No problem with them playing mid-week, fockers.

They're also the guys that play 100 rounds a year though. No thanks. Cruzer prolly does that. I'd get burnt out.

http://wpmediars.golfwrx.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/0ba53924d1cef3239554f3f35505de99.jpg

http://wpmediars.golfwrx.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/4376190cfacec877895ae293d300c3ae.jpg

After about 4 years - I finally picked up a new 3-wood... Bcoz it's rained for about 10 days straight I've only got a chance to play it for about 36 holes........ But my initial impressions:

* Long..... This thing is really hot - especially off the tee. I hit a couple in the 240 range, which landed and splatted in the ponds that used to be a fairways. That's obviously not big boy long, but it's long for me.

* Easy to get air born.... No doubt bcoz of the extremely shallow face, this club is really easy to get up in the air.. I actually adjusted mine to 15* - just felt better.

* Alta shaft......... Not crazy about this shaft. It's good I guess, just feels a bit rigid and a little heavy for my taste.. Will prolly change it out.

* Aesthetics.... A very sleek, classic looking head. Not all will like how shallow it sits at address, but I sure do... The shallow head may be a concern once the rough grows back - will see.

* Value.... Got this as a Demo off eBay - paid $149.00. Once it arrived, looked even better than described - appeared to be brand new to me... One of the best deals out there.

I have that one and the matching 5 wood. Great clubs.

Have the same head with a Tour AD-DI shaft. Also have the 3H with a stock stiff shaft. Love them both. 3w is a weapon

Have the same head with a Tour AD-DI shaft.

That shaft cost more than the club. :D

Most do

Thats what Im getting, a Newport 2. Bent flat a couple degrees. Im combining this with a whole new putter approach with a compact backswing. My old putter (Scotty del mar3) was super light (310g) so my putter stoke was a lot longer and I dealt with some decel issues. Trying to be a compact as possible. Will take me some time to work it out

I use a Newport 2.5

I swapped the 10g head weights for aftermarket 20g ones. Or maybe they were 15g before... either way I added more weight to the head and swapped to a super stroke 3.0 grip. After a few seasons with that grip I went with thr same width but tried out the counter core model they have now with a 50g weight in the butt of thr grip. Just put that on and have not played with it yet aside from indoor putting. Feels great though.

Cruzer (and others),

I played Cowboys Golf Club on Saturday. As you know, it's without challenge considered the best public course in the metroplex and one of the best in Texas. I believe it's normally about $180, but we had coupons for $99. This included free food and drinks (sans booze) all day. Full menu inside and a grill out on the course, not to mention hot cart girls. In the end, it's not a bad money deal. Ate biscuits and gravy before the round, had a badass jalapeno sausage on the course, and went with Short Rib Tacos for an early dinner.

As for the golf, maybe the presentation and weather had me buzzed, but I believe it was the most enjoyable course I've ever played. Great elevation changes, particularly on the front. It didn't feel like Texas at all, as my dad kept comparing it to courses he played in West Virginia. Off the tee, the fairways are generous. Near the green, a bit more precision is required. It's not nearly as challenging as some of the top courses in the area, but it was just a more fun layout than any of them. Extremely enjoyable. My dad has always tried to claim he can have just as much fun on a $20 course as he can on a $100 course, so before the round he was saying this would likely be the only time he ever plays there. By the time we left, he was saying that he will grab that $99 deal again and we need to at least play it once a year going forward.

I use a Newport 2.5

I swapped the 10g head weights for aftermarket 20g ones. Or maybe they were 15g before... either way I added more weight to the head and swapped to a super stroke 3.0 grip. After a few seasons with that grip I went with thr same width but tried out the counter core model they have now with a 50g weight in the butt of thr grip. Just put that on and have not played with it yet aside from indoor putting. Feels great though.

The head weights are based on shaft length. 35 gets 10g, 3415g, 33 20g

I have a 34 with the 15g, Im just practicing on indoor mats so will have to reassess once I start practicing on actually green, but so far so good. The insert feel on it is insane.

Cruzer (and others),

I played Cowboys Golf Club on Saturday.

Believe it or not, I've still not played it...............yet........... I've had a few offers but those were always in the winter, wasn't too hyped to drop $100 on a course that would look nothing like it does in the spring/summer.

That being said, I'm not sure how it ranks in the Public course list... I've also not played Bridlewood, but I hear it's spectacular.... I do know The Tribute and Texas Star are in a class of their own - how does it compare to those?

Friend who is the ultimate club hoar got me a used one with a ping adapter already on it. Love the shaft, explosive

It's (basically) been raining here for 2 weeks straight here - we finally got out for a full weekend of golf....... 79, 78 (par 70) was nearly as sloppy as the conditions - but damn it felt good to be out.

Really liking my new Ping G 3-wood, it's nice to be able to hit a 3-wood off the deck again.

Friend who is the ultimate club hoar got me a used one with a ping adapter already on it. Love the shaft, explosive

I have a buddy with the GD Tour AD DI-6 in his Ping G - can't hit it for shiit. The kick just doesn't match up to my swing.

I'd really need to a demo day testing the various models they have, but I'm also not sure I'd ever pay $350 for a shaft.

Believe it or not, I've still not played it...............yet........... I've had a few offers but those were always in the winter, wasn't too hyped to drop $100 on a course that would look nothing like it does in the spring/summer.

That being said, I'm not sure how it ranks in the Public course list... I've also not played Bridlewood, but I hear it's spectacular.... I do know The Tribute and Texas Star are in a class of their own - how does it compare to those?

I played The Tribute twice this. If you love it, then you need to go ahead and play Old American across the street. Similar style as the Tribute, yet it feels more cohesive and has a lot more personality in my opinion.

Cowboys is more relaxed, less challenging, etc...but it seems designed to maximize fun. Topography, layout, elevation, etc.

I have a buddy with the GD Tour AD DI-6 in his Ping G - can't hit it for shiit. The kick just doesn't match up to my swing.

I'd really need to a demo day testing the various models they have, but I'm also not sure I'd ever pay $350 for a shaft.

Shaft is more important than the head for drivers/woods IMo. Most MOI are maxed out on all of them. Its just look, sound, and maybe forgiveness a little bit

The head weights are based on shaft length. 35 gets 10g, 3415g, 33 20g

I have a 34 with the 15g, Im just practicing on indoor mats so will have to reassess once I start practicing on actually green, but so far so good. The insert feel on it is insane.

I don't have an insert so you probably have the second version studio select.

I feel like the studio select had a version that had a milled face but also a defined insert. Just don't recall which version.

Mine is the true milled face.

But yes I likely swapped 10s for 20's in the head

Shaft is more important than the head for drivers/woods IMo. Most MOI are maxed out on all of them. Its just look, sound, and maybe forgiveness a little bit

I've been saying this for years - the shaft is the single most important part of any club.

That being said, there are a lot of great shaft options out there that don't cost $375 out of the box.

I've been saying this for years - the shaft is the single most important part of any club.

Without question. Heads are all a matter of preference in looks and sound. The shaft is where most fine tuning to your swing occurse.

I don't have an insert so you probably have the second version studio select.

I feel like the studio select had a version that had a milled face but also a defined insert. Just don't recall which version.

Mine is the true milled face.

But yes I likely swapped 10s for 20's in the head

Thats what mine has, face/insert is all milled. I dislike inserts as well but this doesnt feel like a marshmallow insert

Thats what mine has, face/insert is all milled. I dislike inserts as well but this doesnt feel like a marshmallow insert

Yeah I remember those putters feeling pretty good. to be honest I always thought it was just a defined sweet spot and visual.

Yeah I remember those putters feeling pretty good. to be honest I always thought it was just a defined sweet spot and visual.

I skipped about 20 years of putter technology. Have it the right length,lie, and weight is a huge difference

I skipped about 20 years of putter technology. Have it the right length,lie, and weight is a huge difference

im really liking the counter core super stroke grip. So my putter is 35 inches, 40 grams (2x20) in the head and a 50g at the butt of the grip. The grip itself is the 3.0

That being said, there are a lot of great shaft options out there that don't cost $375 out of the box.

I agree on the low cost shafts being just as good. Shaft weight and length have way more effect on your swing than flex and obviously price. If it fits, it fits. I was fit for a Rouge shaft a few months ago, and have sin e pulled it and sold it. A UST Proforce V2 replaced it.

As far as the importance of the shaft vs head, I dont agree as much. As we all know, spin very important. Although you can raise/lower spin some with a shaft, the head has so much more effect on spin. I dont just mean loft either. Some heads are just "spinny" for some people, no matter the shaft. You cant underestimate a proper fitting with a variety of heads and shafts.

im really liking the counter core super stroke grip. So my putter is 35 inches, 40 grams (2x20) in the head and a 50g at the butt of the grip. The grip itself is the 3.0

I had a 2.0 on my old Scotty and liked it. Not counterbalanced, went to it after trying a few bigger grips and didnt like them as much

You cant underestimate a proper fitting with a variety of heads and shafts.

No doubt.

Another factor in it all, there's no one set standard for specs.. Aldila's specs are different than Graphite Design, and Oban, and Fujikura, and etc.... One company's Stiff could be in reality, a Regular in another company's.... Outside of never getting to actually play, being a club fitter would be fun.

I'm a small guy, and I'm getting old - my ball speed is slowing down. As such, I'm loooking to go softer in my shafts. I just picked up an Aldila NVS Regular. Was only $25, thought I'd give it a try for shiits and grins. This model is a bit softer than the NV green version, bit higher torque too.

• Like 1

I had a 2.0 on my old Scotty and liked it. Not counterbalanced, went to it after trying a few bigger grips and didnt like them as much

to me, the counter core SS grip doesn't feel like traditonal counterbalanced putters. Maybe because in my mind, counter balanced always had slightly longer shafts... like 38 inches and you could really feel the weight above your hands big time. I think I used to mess around with an odyssey "tank" counterbalanced putter a lot at the golfsmith near me before it closed up.

the setup im using now just feels really stable. I can still feel the head perfectly but the little extra weight by my hands just gives it a more solid feel. hard to explain. the weight doesn't feel above my hands, causing a pendulum effect or anything like that.

No doubt.

Another factor in it all, there's no one set standard for specs.. Aldila's specs are different than Graphite Design, and Oban, and Fujikura, and etc.... One company's Stiff could be in reality, a Regular in another company's.... Outside of never getting to actually play, being a club fitter would be fun.

I'm a small guy, and I'm getting old - my ball speed is slowing down. As such, I'm loooking to go softer in my shafts. I just picked up an Aldila NVS Regular. Was only $25, thought I'd give it a try for shiits and grins. This model is a bit softer than the NV green version, bit higher torque too.

have stiff NVS shafts in my older 3 wood which I went back to and in my 3 hybrid (bought the NVS hybrid shaft off ebay for cheap, maybe 15 dollars new. great shafts. Had one in my Callaway FT3 driver as well.

and yes you are correct about manufacturers specs not all being equal. thats pretty much true with anything golf related. just like TM has stronger iron lofts.

have stiff NVS shafts in my older 3 wood which I went back to and in my 3 hybrid (bought the NVS hybrid shaft off ebay for cheap, maybe 15 dollars new.

I really like the look of it, is really sharp.. But just swinging it around at my house, definitely feels a bit whippy.. I'm going the range today, may end up buying a Stiff to compare .

have stiff NVS shafts in my older 3 wood which I went back to and in my 3 hybrid (bought the NVS hybrid shaft off ebay for cheap, maybe 15 dollars new. great shafts. Had one in my Callaway FT3 driver as well.

and yes you are correct about manufacturers specs not all being equal. thats pretty much true with anything golf related. just like TM has stronger iron lofts.

I game a 15 year old set of Hogan Apex edge pro forged irons, they are just sweet clubs. Found it interesting the PW is 48 degrees. Seems all the new stuff is 45 or stronger. Its like a full club difference

I game a 15 year old set of Hogan Apex edge pro forged irons, they are just sweet clubs. Found it interesting the PW is 48 degrees. Seems all the new stuff is 45 or stronger. Its like a full club difference

TM M2 irons PW is 43.5*. It really is amazing what theyve done with club design allowing you to hit, essentially an 8 1/2 iron, the same height as a PW. I messed around with Cally XR irons on a monitor one day and was carrying it 200-205 which is normally a 4i for me. It was launching just like a 6i.