Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

**Golf Talk** thread

sounds like cruzer does it the same as me although I dont snake wrap the tape. I use a tape roll and rip off a piece of desired length, lay it along the shaft, wrap it under on both sides and sort of pinch/fold the top at the butt of the shaft.

I've never tried compressed air and painters tape but I never felt like double sided tape and solvent was too time consuming in any way and I've never needed to play immediately after regripping.

if you do compressed air and painters tape, is it easy to fiddle with the grip a little bit afterward if you were slightly off on the alignment? I always liked that after putting a grip on, if I was a little off of where I wanted it, I could easily slide it a little before letting it dry.

Same as you. I used to work in a pro shop when I was young and had to regrip clubs often. I got pretty good at it but was glad I was able to adjust them each time.

Same as you. I used to work in a pro shop when I was young and had to regrip clubs often. I got pretty good at it but was glad I was able to adjust them each time.

i worked in a golf store in HS and we did regripping. My boss taught me.. He was a clubmaker who had the club repair accounts with a number of northern NJ courses including Baltusrol.

Watching some replay of the farmers I noticed nearly all the pros use some type of mallet putter. Fowler, Mickelson use blades.

I always hated the look of mallets, but blades tend to have heavy toe hang, which arent optimal for me. Trying to convince myself to let go over my mallet hate if it helps my putting

Watching some replay of the farmers I noticed nearly all the pros use some type of mallet putter. Fowler, Mickelson use blades.

I always hated the look of mallets, but blades tend to have heavy toe hang, which arent optimal for me. Trying to convince myself to let go over my mallet hate if it helps my putting

I know phil specifically uses his style of blade for more "toe hang".

Rickie uses something similar to my putter I believe. Rickie also uses a standard pistol grip which seems more and more rare out there.

When I've tested them, the spider TM mallets have always felt good and rolled the ball well.

sounds like cruzer does it the same as me although I dont snake wrap the tape. I use a tape roll and rip off a piece of desired length, lay it along the shaft, wrap it under on both sides and sort of pinch/fold the top at the butt of the shaft.

I've never tried compressed air and painters tape but I never felt like double sided tape and solvent was too time consuming in any way and I've never needed to play immediately after regripping.

if you do compressed air and painters tape, is it easy to fiddle with the grip a little bit afterward if you were slightly off on the alignment? I always liked that after putting a grip on, if I was a little off of where I wanted it, I could easily slide it a little before letting it dry.

Yes you can make infinite adjustments. Just think of it as injecting a tiny pillow of air between all surfaces where grip touches the shaft. The grip is basically floating. Also, if you really like a grip aligned a certain way, air makes it super simple to adjust it when you turn a shaft to make driver loft changes.

I know phil specifically uses his style of blade for more "toe hang".

Rickie uses something similar to my putter I believe. Rickie also uses a standard pistol grip which seems more and more rare out there.

When I've tested them, the spider TM mallets have always felt good and rolled the ball well.

i was going to go last friday to test putters but had to work real late. I think i tore some ligaments or tendons in my foot. Getting checked out early afternoon, may sneak out after that to roll some putts.

I need either a face balanced putter or one with slight toehang... I never knew my Scotty Cameron Del Mar 3 had massive toe hang (didn't know what toe hang was). On my stroke (back inside a little and straight through) it makes the heel of the putter wants to rotate more than the toe and i end up pushing putts.

Seems like my options are a mallet or a center shafted blade (not sure what look i hate more, center shafted or mallet)

I'm a mallet guy, a 2-ball in fact.

Have always loved the look of the blade putter, especially the type Fowler has - but they've never worked for me. The offset was always awkward looking, at feeling thru impact - could never get a consistent strike. I love the way the mallet head feels - solid and sturdy, really hard to mishit it..............DJ was struggling on the greens a couple years back (with a scotty blade) - I stated on here he needed to try a mallet styled head.. He finally did, and he took off.

Guess rickie uses more of the pipe neck, anser style that I used to use with my ping.

I currently use

https://goo.gl/images/8s97Hq

How much money did the Anser putter make Ping?

That putter single handedly changed the landscape of putters - even to this day.

How much money did the Anser putter make Ping?

That putter single handedly changed the landscape of putters - even to this day.

If I had to guess, less than what odyssey (their own company at the time, I think) made off the 2 ball and white hot insert, the way prices were.

I guess ping probably has patents on some of that style of the Anser tho which has been copied by almost every company

Learned a little something yesterday. Didn't know Tiger has used a Ping Grip on his putter since 97. He won the 97 Masters with a Scotty Cameron Grip. But since it has been PIng with the little man on it. He used to black out the white outline of Ping and the little golfer. So they came out with that blacked out version.

Yeah I have always preferred a classic looking putter. Never have had a mallet in the bag. My putting used to be great. I have had the same putter since 9th grade. Odyssey #2 white hot. My putting has gone downhill the last 2 or 3 years. So I am now a little more open to ideas.

If I had to guess, less than what odyssey (their own company at the time, I think) made off the 2 ball and white hot insert, the way prices were.

I guess ping probably has patents on some of that style of the Anser tho which has been copied by almost every company

The Anser hit the market and has been selling since the late 60's. For all of Odyssey's 2-Ball work, it's a relative new kid on the block..... When you tack on patents on top of that - I bet it's not even close, the Anser and it's technology by a mile.

The Anser hit the market and has been selling since the late 60's. For all of Odyssey's 2-Ball work, it's a relative new kid on the block..... When you tack on patents on top of that - I bet it's not even close, the Anser and it's technology by a mile.

Club prices back then don't come close to what the 2 ball was retailing for when it hit the scene. We couldn't keep them on the shelves back then.

Patents would be the difference maker since others have copied the style.

Also, at the time putter and golf prices rose significantly, ping was not as popular as odyssey or titleist

Blade putters are the only ones I can putt well with. I had a Ray Cook classic blade that I lost after a bet. Loved that putter.

Club prices back then don't come close to what the 2 ball was retailing for when it hit the scene. We couldn't keep them on the shelves back then.

Patents would be the difference maker since others have copied the style.

Also, at the time putter and golf prices rose significantly, ping was not as popular as odyssey or titleist

Played Split Rail in Aledo for the first time yesterday. They held a US Open qualifier a few years back when Tony Romo was trying to get in. On first play, it was as enjoyable of a course as Ive played in the metroplex. Loved the layout.

I hit the ball really well, but the greens destroyed me. Every flag seemed to be on the peak of a knob. Had two instances of leaving a putt a foot short of the hole and it rolling 25 feet back to where I was standing, yet if long by a foot you also go 25 feet past. At least 5 times, I had downhill 8 footers that I thought were perfect until they slid by and rolled out another 8 feet. My feel is just off. I totaled 42 putts, including three 4 putts. I swear I always felt I was an above average putter, but I dont know how to make the argument very well here of late. Struck the ball well enough to shoot and 80 but instead shot a 90.

Who here uses a line on the ball to help line up a putt? I use the Project(a) and it seems to help somewhat.

I have tried putting just one dot (coloring in a dimple) and make sure it's looking up at me when I putt. It helps focus and gives a refernce to aim the putterface.

I use the "titleist" as a line. I dont point the word. I set it up parallel to the putter face rather than perpendicular to it. If that makes sense.

I dont try to get to precise with it.

I dont try to get to precise with it.

That's the good and bad of using it. If using it for precision then misaligning it will throw you off.

I may switch back to my dot method to avoid misaligning.

I use the line also. I point the ball - using the line - as well as I can to the intended line, and then I hold the putter shaft in front of me aligned with the line on the placed ball to confirm it's pointing at the line I want. I adjust my putter head's alignment as needed from that point; I nearly never realign the ball itself.

I used an Odyssey Backstryke putter. It's worked really well for me; I'm on my third grip with it.

I use the line also. I point the ball - using the line - as well as I can to the intended line, and then I hold the putter shaft in front of me aligned with the line on the placed ball to confirm it's pointing at the line I want. I adjust my putter head's alignment as needed from that point; I nearly never realign the ball itself.

I used an Odyssey Backstryke putter. It's worked really well for me; I'm on my third grip with it.

This is pretty much how I do it, abd make sure the ball is in the upper 1/3 of my stance.if I find myself a little askew, its usually from letting the ball creep back in my stance.

Ive never used a line. I just pick a spot about a foot in front of the ball and set up on that line. Same thing with all my other clubs.

That said....my putting has been so iffy of late that I may try using a line for a few rounds and see what happens.

Ive never used a line. I just pick a spot about a foot in front of the ball and set up on that line. Same thing with all my other clubs.

That said....my putting has been so iffy of late that I may try using a line for a few rounds and see what happens.

I would tell you that picking a spot only 1' in front of your ball would lead to missing your line most of the time. You'd have to focus on something farther away to gain accuracy.

1. I don't use a "line" but I do line up my putts with the wording on the ball. usually titleist but sometimes the side words on a callaway (chrome soft for example). Even my dots will work. but i have to use something. I just dont draw a line or anything like that.

2. I pick a spot a few feet in front of me on full shots. You can absolutely do the same with putts. You have to read the putt first and determine how much break you are playing. once you pick your break point, you can have an imaginary line from your ball to the break point and beyond, straight out (if that makes sense). So picking a spot on the green a foot or two in front of you that is also on your break line will work. It's all about the speed from there.

I would tell you that picking a spot only 1' in front of your ball would lead to missing your line most of the time. You'd have to focus on something farther away to gain accuracy.

But how do I hit something say 5 feet away if my ball isnt on that line a foot or so after contact?

Find the true sweet spot on your putter by tapping the face with a ball.

Hold the club like you're plumb bobbing and start tapping the face. Toe and heel taps will be noticeable. Fine tune until you feel a pure strike.

Alignment marks and dead center are NOT always the sweet spot.

I've used dozens of putters over the years and always check the the sweet spot. I've also marked them with files/paint if they ever find their way back into the bag.

• Like 1

But how do I hit something say 5 feet away if my ball isnt on that line a foot or so after contact?

I'm saying that choosing a spot to aim at so close to the ball results in an inability to fine-tune hitting the ball on that line.

I'm saying that choosing a spot to aim at so close to the ball results in an inability to fine-tune hitting the ball on that line.

Youll have to explain more clearly, as Im not following your logic.

Youll have to explain more clearly, as Im not following your logic.

Ok: imagine choosing a spot 2 inches in front of the ball. What would happen?

Ok: imagine choosing a spot 2 inches in front of the ball. What would happen?

I get that. And I get the concept of extrapolation. But any farther than about 2 feet and you wont be able to see the club face and the target simultaneously while at address.

actually, being that your goal is to get the ball rolling on your intended (chosen) line, picking a spot 2 inches in front of the ball that sets the putt down your inteded line is also perfectly fine. maybe not ideal but it technically accomplishes the same thing as 2 feet or 10 feet. the whole point is getting the ball rolling on your line, at your speed.

unless the confusion here is picking a spot a foot in front of your ball and ignoring the read on the full length of the putt. I think it goes without saying, that is never the case

but lets say youve determined you want to be firm and youve decided to play it 3 cups to the right, 3 cups to the right is your target line. if you pick a point on the green between your ball and your target line, it can be 2 inches, 2 feet, etc. doesn't matter. It's all on the same line. At that point it omes down to your speed.

actually, being that your goal is to get the ball rolling on your intended (chosen) line, picking a spot 2 inches in front of the ball that sets the putt down your inteded line is also perfectly fine. maybe not ideal but it technically accomplishes the same thing as 2 feet or 10 feet. the whole point is getting the ball rolling on your line, at your speed.

unless the confusion here is picking a spot a foot in front of your ball and ignoring the read on the full length of the putt. I think it goes without saying, that is never the case

but lets say youve determined you want to be firm and youve decided to play it 3 cups to the right, 3 cups to the right is your target line. if you pick a point on the green between your ball and your target line, it can be 2 inches, 2 feet, etc. doesn't matter. It's all on the same line. At that point it omes down to your speed.

I think his point was....whether you hit your target 2 inches away either centered, right center, or left center, it could result in a wider dispersion. But yes, obviously you are correct.

I stand by the idea of 1-2 feet being optimal of aiming at a target in front of the ball.

I went to the phallics sporting goods to mess around with some putters. Face balanced mallets miss was pull. There was a small towhang drobeski neck that donged the ball alright. Decided to get a putter fitting doing it in a few weeks

I think his point was....whether you hit your target 2 inches away either centered, right center, or left center, it could result in a wider dispersion. But yes, obviously you are correct.

I stand by the idea of 1-2 feet being optimal of aiming at a target in front of the ball.

well yeah, naturally, 2 inches is an exaggeration and it is possible to get the ball rolling over that spot but have technically been off on your line

but honestly, if you got the ball rolling over your 2 inch spot but made a poor stroke that doesn't keep the ball on your line over the next 2-10 feet or whatever, the final answer is you made a poor stroke. its not going to matter if your spot was 2 inches, 2 feet or 10 feet because you made a poor stroke.

Not a fan of using directional lines for putting.... I'm sure it works for some, but not me.

When teaching somebody how to putt, I do just like I do when we talk about short game/chipping.......... I take them to a green, 3 golf balls - no club/putter. I tell them, "for a million dollars, get that ball in the hole from here." Naturally they get low to the ground and roll it using their senses of feel and touch... After they get that down I hand them a putter. Tell them the feel and touch are exactly the same - cept this time you're using a putter...I want them to see and feel the ball going towards and in the hole - not tensed up and over-focused on a "spot".

My short game is oddly good for this time of the year.... Shot 76 in a wind storm Saturday, including 3 doubles..... was absolutely perfect y-day, 65*, sunny, no wind - shot 73 y-day with a double... We were playing it up, but still - was good to finally score around the greens.

One of my favorite things to do, is hit balls under a full moon............ Hitting balls under the the Super Blue Moon last night, in shorts, in January - hard to beat. :thumbsup:

How do some tournements gets away with obviously MAKING certain pairings. Phil is playing with Rahm today and Thomas is playing with Spieth.

It isn't a huge deal but I would be a little annoyed with how that is allowed, if I was a player that didn't get that treatment.

If you want to push the bigger names more at the best time for peak viewership go for it. But making pairings with known good friends seems ridiulous in a real tournement.

How do some tournements gets away with obviously MAKING certain pairings. Phil is playing with Rahm today and Thomas is playing with Spieth.

It isn't a huge deal but I would be a little annoyed with how that is allowed, if I was a player that didn't get that treatment.

If you want to push the bigger names more at the best time for peak viewership go for it. But making pairings with known good friends seems ridiulous in a real tournement.

Meh. I don't think it's an advantage.....and if small stuff like that makes a tourney even 1% more attractive to certain guys, it's just smart business.