Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

**Golf Talk** thread

How do some tournements gets away with obviously MAKING certain pairings. Phil is playing with Rahm today and Thomas is playing with Spieth.

It isn't a huge deal but I would be a little annoyed with how that is allowed, if I was a player that didn't get that treatment.

If you want to push the bigger names more at the best time for peak viewership go for it. But making pairings with known good friends seems ridiulous in a real tournement.

It's more performance/standing based than the buddy system... The fact Spieth and Thomas happen to be friends is a bonus - they're really being paired 2gether bcoz of what they've done on the course, bcoz of the draw they currently are. If JT had no wins in 2017 and finished 124th on the money list - the only time they'd play 2gether is in a practice round........... The sponsors flip the bill, they run the show - I don't have a problem with it... As a player - if you want to be paired with the big names in the game, play better.

What Cruzer said. But they can make any pairings they want.

An one remember the year (I forget which tourney) they paired 3 fatties together? I think one was kevin stadler.

I get that better players get better treatment and perks. I get putting them in at times for best ratings.

But if you ask Rahm who he would likee to play with it would be phil. If you asked Spieth who he would like to play with it would be Thomas. So to me that is just unfair to give them their pairing. It isnt Sunday morning at the local club. You shouldnt get to pick who you play with.

I get that better players get better treatment and perks. I get putting them in at times for best ratings.

But if you ask Rahm who he would likee to play with it would be phil. If you asked Spieth who he would like to play with it would be Thomas. So to me that is just unfair to give them their pairing. It isnt Sunday morning at the local club. You shouldnt get to pick who you play with.

i actually don't think Rahm would say Phil. Phil seems to be more buddy buddy with guys like Rickie and Keegan. Rahm has the ASU connection and Phils brother but I've never really read much about them being all that close.

If anything, I think the PGA paired them together because they are the biggest ASU alums and well.... look where the tourney is.

i actually don't think Rahm would say Phil. Phil seems to be more buddy buddy with guys like Rickie and Keegan. Rahm has the ASU connection and Phils brother but I've never really read much about them being all that close.

If anything, I think the PGA paired them together because they are the biggest ASU alums and well.... look where the tourney is.

I always heard they play a lot together on their own time. Maybe I am mistaken.

I always heard they play a lot together on their own time. Maybe I am mistaken.

i think they play a lot of practice rounds together but i've never heard much about them being great friends exactly. maybe they are. or maybe im just not capable of seeing any golfers as big time buddies after that whole jordan justin rickie and the 4th jobber with all their group vacations :lol:

That's the sponsors doing it, not the players...... And again, if they sucked, they wouldn't even be in the discussion..... Besides, it's for 2 days only anyways - after that, it's leaderboard based.

Cruzer, I'm playing Old American tomorrow for the first time ever. We grabbed Avidgolfer coupons for $70.....Consistently considered a top 5 public course in Texas and one of America's top 100 public courses...and as you surely know, the LPGA is playing there in May.

For the first time in a while I feel physically fit and ready to play a good round of golf, but I'm expecting this course to kick my asss. Slope looks to be pushing 140, and if they are already getting it ready for the LPGA it may be even tougher. Unsure what my target score is, but I'm pumped.

Any tips for putting? Set up and stopping body movement?

Literally don't move your head. Pick your line, stand over your putt, make your stroke, keep your eyes focused right where the ball was and do not move your head until you hear the putt drop... obviously if it doesn't drop just wait the appropriate amount of time, you get what I mean.

Initially you may feel a little off on your speeds but that will come back quickly.

If you can keep a still head, you shouldn't have many or any issues with body movement.

Edit to add that I putt with the ball middle of my stance and a very slight forward press. Very slight. I use a super stroke 3.0 grip (currently using the one with the 50 gram weight at the top) and I experimented with left hand low for a few years but I've been putting with a normal grip for a while now. I very slightly overlap my right pinkie finger over my left index and my right index hangs just a little.

• Like 1

That's the sponsors doing it, not the players...... And again, if they sucked, they wouldn't even be in the discussion..... Besides, it's for 2 days only anyways - after that, it's leaderboard based.

I understand how a golf tournament runs.

I never said it was the players doing.

What does it matter that it is ONLY FOR HALF THE TOURNEMENT?

I'm not saying it makes a world of difference. But it seems unfair. It is unfair. I understand sponsors drive the ship. If you want big names with eachother put Rahm with Spieth and JT with Phil. I like Spieth and root fort him. But every other tournament it seems like him and Thomas get paired up. If I am a fellow top 10 golfer and do not get that privilege then what?

Should they get to pick at what time top guys go out on Thursday according to the weather? Should top players get to go out in the easier part of the day condition wise since the sponsors would like them to make the cut?

Rahm and Mickelson playing together again in round 3 (as welll as Xander). Fixed :thumbsdown:

I understand how a golf tournament runs.

I never said it was the players doing.

What does it matter that it is ONLY FOR HALF THE TOURNEMENT?

I'm not saying it makes a world of difference. But it seems unfair. It is unfair. I understand sponsors drive the ship. If you want big names with eachother put Rahm with Spieth and JT with Phil. I like Spieth and root fort him. But every other tournament it seems like him and Thomas get paired up. If I am a fellow top 10 golfer and do not get that privilege then what?

Should they get to pick at what time top guys go out on Thursday according to the weather? Should top players get to go out in the easier part of the day condition wise since the sponsors would like them to make the cut?

FLIP THE BILL AND HOST YOUR ON TOURNAMENT, then you can run it like you want.

The game today has become as much about $$$ as it has anything else. The guys you think are getting hosed over, should be thanking their lucky stars - thanking them the TW, Jordan Speiths and every other big name are who they are. Bcoz of them even the 120th turd on the money list lives like a king.

So yea, I doubt they see it as a disadvantage.. They see it as an opportunity to live large - and if they play well, will get their own shot to be featured on the weekend.

• Like 1

Rahm and Mickelson playing together again in round 3 (as welll as Xander). Fixed :thumbsdown:

Point fixing, no doubt a conspiracy. :thumbsdown:

Cruzer, I'm playing Old American tomorrow for the first time ever. We grabbed Avidgolfer coupons for $70.....Consistently considered a top 5 public course in Texas and one of America's top 100 public courses...and as you surely know, the LPGA is playing there in May.

For the first time in a while I feel physically fit and ready to play a good round of golf, but I'm expecting this course to kick my asss. Slope looks to be pushing 140, and if they are already getting it ready for the LPGA it may be even tougher. Unsure what my target score is, but I'm pumped.

Lucky bastard, I've not gotten to yet... Give me a full update when can.

Lucky bastard, I've not gotten to yet... Give me a full update when can.

Old American Golf Club....

The service was great. Guys in the clubhouse were extremely polite and engaging, and that wasnt negatively affected at all when they found out we were coupon golfers. (I note that, because its not always the case). No cart girls yesterday due to the 50 degree 20mph conditions (we teed off at noon and there was nobody on the range beforehand, in front of us at all, or behind us at all on the course all day). But they had stands set up every few holes with free snacks, drinks, etc.

The course was awesome. Fairways and greens were extremely tight and immaculate. Links style, all very natural feeling, right down to gravel cart paths that feel like nature trails. The course is right on Lake Lewisville, so wind is a giant factor.

Texas golfers are very familiar with playing in the wind obviously...and I dont know if this is always the case there, as yesterday it was blowing 20mph according to my weather apps yet I would have sworn it was 30mph... but the combination of angles...hard greens...and false fronts, backs, and sides made me feel like the wind was a bigger scoring hurdle than I've encountered.

The holes all had a ton of character....Almost every hole was banana shaped. There are 120+ fairway bunkers. The result being that to hit a lot of fairways, youll both have forced carries while also needing to work the ball right or left. Yet it all seemed fair. (Granted, we played it at about 6400 yards).....Particularly with the pin placements we had, even the par 3s required a forced carry while also working the ball left to right or right to left. .....If you missed the fairway, the rough was such that you could find it reasonably easy and get good club on the ball, but youd be dealing with awkward stances and horrible angles and hazards in. If they grow that up for the LPGA, itll be tough.

I absolutely loved it. It was fair enough and flowing enough to not force you to play strict target golf, yet every shot required mental engagement and strategy.

As for my play...I felt better then Ive felt in a few months physically and I feel like I was on for the most part. Drove it well (hit 9 of 13 fairways and only once didnt have any shot). But I couldnt hit any greens. I only hit 3, but there were another 5-6 that I thought id hit easily, yet the wind seemed to strategically work in conjunction with false fronts/sides/backs. Course knowledge may have helped here. Shortgame felt solid, but in hindsight I should have went bump and run inside of 60 yards instead of wedge most of the time..... The strange result is the following: I felt like the quality of my shots never waivered, yet I put up 40-50. I really want to play it again with just a little less wind, and Id probably even want to have the course tour with tips from their website handy so I could manage my misses a bit better.

Old American Golf Club....

The service was great. Guys in the clubhouse were extremely polite and engaging, and that wasnt negatively affected at all when they found out we were coupon golfers. (I note that, because its not always the case). No cart girls yesterday due to the 50 degree 20mph conditions (we teed off at noon and there was nobody on the range beforehand, in front of us at all, or behind us at all on the course all day). But they had stands set up every few holes with free snacks, drinks, etc.

The course was awesome. Fairways and greens were extremely tight and immaculate. Links style, all very natural feeling, right down to gravel cart paths that feel like nature trails. The course is right on Lake Lewisville, so wind is a giant factor.

Texas golfers are very familiar with playing in the wind obviously...and I dont know if this is always the case there, as yesterday it was blowing 20mph according to my weather apps yet I would have sworn it was 30mph... but the combination of angles...hard greens...and false fronts, backs, and sides made me feel like the wind was a bigger scoring hurdle than I've encountered.

The holes all had a ton of character....Almost every hole was banana shaped. There are 120+ fairway bunkers. The result being that to hit a lot of fairways, youll both have forced carries while also needing to work the ball right or left. Yet it all seemed fair. (Granted, we played it at about 6400 yards).....Particularly with the pin placements we had, even the par 3s required a forced carry while also working the ball left to right or right to left. .....If you missed the fairway, the rough was such that you could find it reasonably easy and get good club on the ball, but youd be dealing with awkward stances and horrible angles and hazards in. If they grow that up for the LPGA, itll be tough.

I absolutely loved it. It was fair enough and flowing enough to not force you to play strict target golf, yet every shot required mental engagement and strategy.

As for my play...I felt better then Ive felt in a few months physically and I feel like I was on for the most part. Drove it well (hit 9 of 13 fairways and only once didnt have any shot). But I couldnt hit any greens. I only hit 3, but there were another 5-6 that I thought id hit easily, yet the wind seemed to strategically work in conjunction with false fronts/sides/backs. Course knowledge may have helped here. Shortgame felt solid, but in hindsight I should have went bump and run inside of 60 yards instead of wedge most of the time..... The strange result is the following: I felt like the quality of my shots never waivered, yet I put up 40-50. I really want to play it again with just a little less wind, and Id probably even want to have the course tour with tips from their website handy so I could manage my misses a bit better.

Wow - that's awesome.. I'd love to play it..... And man, did you get a tough day to play on Saturday... That wind was cold and it was brutal - it gave us fits too.

And for $70? I need to take my pop out there for sure.

Wow - that's awesome.. I'd love to play it..... And man, did you get a tough day to play on Saturday... That wind was cold and it was brutal - it gave us fits too.

And for $70? I need to take my pop out there for sure.

On the way home I was looking at AvidGolfer's list of the best Public Courses in the metroplex. http://myavidgolfer.com/features/2017-best-public-golf/

On the list in the different categories, I've now played.

Old American

The Tribute

Tour 18

Coyote Ridge

Southern Oaks

Bridlewood

Tangle Ridge

Grapevine

Fossil Creek

Split Rail

Bear Creek

Iron Horse

Riverside

Rockwood

And I don't think I'd even hesitate in saying I liked Old American the most. That said, we nutted up and paid $99 for Cowboys and I'll be playing that within the next 6 weeks, and it tends to win all the awards, so we will see.

On the way home I was looking at AvidGolfer's list of the best Public Courses in the metroplex. http://myavidgolfer.com/features/2017-best-public-golf/

On the list in the different categories, I've now played.

Old American

The Tribute

Tour 18

Coyote Ridge

Southern Oaks

Bridlewood

Tangle Ridge

Grapevine

Fossil Creek

Split Rail

Bear Creek

Iron Horse

Riverside

Rockwood

And I don't think I'd even hesitate in saying I liked Old American the most. That said, we nutted up and paid $99 for Cowboys and I'll be playing that within the next 6 weeks, and it tends to win all the awards, so we will see.

You've never played Sugar Tree? Omg, this Spring - when it greens up - you have to make it out there. .. You also need to play Texas Star. They have good twilight rates once the time changes.

Found out I've been aligning up pretty much at the target and not right of it (I'm a lefty). Focking hell what a huge difference that's made to my contact and getting through the ball.

You've never played Sugar Tree? Omg, this Spring - when it greens up - you have to make it out there. .. You also need to play Texas Star. They have good twilight rates once the time changes.

Ive played Sugar Tree several times, I just didnt see it on that list. But yes, I like it quite a bit.

Texas Star is on the list but Ive never been able to grab a deal on it.

Found out I've been aligning up pretty much at the target and not right of it (I'm a lefty). Focking hell what a huge difference that's made to my contact and getting through the ball.

Wait, what? You don't take dead aim at the target anymore? You say that aiming right of the target is helping you?

I'm a lefty too btw.

Wait, what? You don't take dead aim at the target anymore? You say that aiming right of the target is helping you?

I'm a lefty too btw.

My body alignment; not aiming of the clubface. Some teachers say to picture railroad tracks but that really doesn't help me as I was pretty much aligning my feet, shoulders, hips and eyes at the target instead of parallel (right of it).

http://www.golftoday.co.uk/proshop/features/2009/images/fix_your_target_4.jpg

My body alignment; not aiming of the clubface. Some teachers say to picture railroad tracks but that really doesn't help me as I was pretty much aligning my feet, shoulders, hips and eyes at the target instead of parallel (right of it).

http://www.golftoday.co.uk/proshop/features/2009/images/fix_your_target_4.jpg

The Modern swing certainly emphasizes this parallel, up and down the line setup - but it's not for all.

Just off the top of my head - Trevino, Couples and Lehman all align slightly open and away from the target.

My body alignment; not aiming of the clubface. Some teachers say to picture railroad tracks but that really doesn't help me as I was pretty much aligning my feet, shoulders, hips and eyes at the target instead of parallel (right of it). http://www.golftoday.co.uk/proshop/features/2009/images/fix_your_target_4.jpg

What is your natural ball flight when you're playing well? Has it changed since you made this adjustment?

The Modern swing certainly emphasizes this parallel, up and down the line setup - but it's not for all.

Just off the top of my head - Trevino, Couples and Lehman all align slightly open and away from the target.

Going back to the teacher speak 'Feel ain't real' I feel like I'm aligned more right than I am but in reality, I'm actually aimed correctly now.

What is your natural ball flight when you're playing well? Has it changed since you made this adjustment?

I almost always hit a draw but struggle with contact issues; my miss is a thin shot kind of flippy at bottom of swing due to hip slide.

With this change it seems more of a straight ball with very slight fade or slight draw but GREAT contact with my hips clearing MUCH more easier.

I know the new craze in Wedge technology is the "V-Sole" grind - but I still can't get a feel for them. They don't fit my eye aesthetically, nor do I like the fell off the turf... I picked up a new Wedge, 54* Cleveland 588 RTX, Satin Chrome, 12* bounce.... I love the classic look of these, I love the traditional sole and I love the fact they have U-Grooves (conforming ones of course). As a bonus, you can get them for damn near 1/2 the price of a new RTX 3.0. http://www.pgatoursuperstore.com/588-rtx-sc-wedge/100185006789.jsp?crtp=paidsearch&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-LeKyo6Z2QIVybjACh1dZAiBEAQYByABEgLwBvD_BwE

And to all my Northern buddies getting hammered by Winter.......... 72* and sunny here, I'm getting 18 in for you guys today. :banana:

Got a center shafted Nike method matters m5-10 to mess around with before my putter fitting. Got off eBay, looks like the head had some scuffs for manufacturing so they give the heads, and the shop put on a true temper shaft and new grip. $30 brand new, can deal with the sole marks. Great deal nice putter

I know the new craze in Wedge technology is the "V-Sole" grind - but I still can't get a feel for them. They don't fit my eye aesthetically, nor do I like the fell off the turf... I picked up a new Wedge, 54* Cleveland 588 RTX, Satin Chrome, 12* bounce.... I love the classic look of these, I love the traditional sole and I love the fact they have U-Grooves (conforming ones of course). As a bonus, you can get them for damn near 1/2 the price of a new RTX 3.0. http://www.pgatoursuperstore.com/588-rtx-sc-wedge/100185006789.jsp?crtp=paidsearch&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-LeKyo6Z2QIVybjACh1dZAiBEAQYByABEgLwBvD_BwE

And to all my Northern buddies getting hammered by Winter.......... 72* and sunny here, I'm getting 18 in for you guys today. :banana:

I have the RTX. Took a little to get used to but I really like it now, especially with the softer northeast turf conditions.... at least when I got to use it back in October and November :D

Jeebus almighty.. Anyone check out Potter Jr.'s swing???

That should give us all hope, Gawd bless him.

good for him winning the event but its funny when you know you're the guy no one wants to see win with the likes of phil, DJ, Day etc all up there.

• Like 1

Ive been told I putt "inside and down the line". I try to set up a square as I can but if anything I feel like my stance gets closed at times.

Agree here on the 588. I used to have the an older one. I have played all vokey for a while now but that was a damn good wedge. Was given to me some what used so it wore out quick. I have been thinking about giving these new 588s a try next time I am in the wedge market.
  • Like 1

Dude takes a rip at it. Refreshing to see "normal guy" ball speeds too. DJ and Day, etc hitting 180+ is ridiculous.

• Like 1

Got out the first time this winter yesterday. Temperature was around 50 with some strong wind so it wasn't great but decent weather-wise.

I shot 79, couldn't believe it. I normally only shoot in the 70s once or twice a season. Hit everything pretty solid, a couple chunks and that was it. 2 birdies, 1 double. Everything else was pars and bogeys.

I got a King Cobra F6 driver for Christmas, absolutely love it. Heeled a couple drives and they still went as far as my old driver. When I caught it on the screws it was going 20-30 yards further then normal. Amazing what new equipment can do for ya.

• Like 1

nice. I think last wednesday was 75* here in Jersey and I was stuck at work. Still melting snow on the ground so it would have been soggy as hell but still was an amazing day to play. No wind either.