Sign in to follow this  
JtmoneyJag

Should I be worried about Chris Johnson

But he looked like he was pressing again and not taking the available yards and trying for the home run each time. This was the same problem last year. Have defenses figured him out? Will CJ2K or something that comes close to resembling that come back? Am I overreacting?!?!? Thoughts? Also, love to hear some homer point of views.

I think it's too early to worry if you're a CJ owner.

After all, it was the first preseason game and he only got five carries (i.e. a VERY small sample-size). Plus, the Titans' OL -- with two new starters and Leroy Harris shifting over to the RG spot -- is still coming together. From what I've heard, CJ's looked pretty good/quick in practice so far. I think it may take a few weeks, but he and the OL should eventually get on the right track. Honestly, I'd be more concerned about his receiving skills, as he dropped a couple of easy catches.

:dunno:

After watching the Seattle game I have taken him off my draft list for now. The Titan's Oline's performance in this first preseason game, in combination with their performance last year, in combination with CJ just not showing up last year, in combination with CJs body language and the 2 drops of screen passes just has me in wait and see mode. My base case for him now is that in games against good Dlines he could disappear due to the frustration of having no space to work in and poor attitude. In games where he has space and can get off to a good start he may have big numbers if all the camp reports are accurate. I don't think the inconsistency, if it turns out that way, would be worth a 1st round pick for sure. I have to see it first with him now and I'm not sure there is enough time in the preseason to turn my opinion around enough that I will take him. Harsh but I would rather take some other sort of a chance.

As a Titan's fan - you should be scared. Continue to let him slide in drafts. He had a horrible offseason and wasn't commited to the offseason program. :rolleyes:

I'll pull up some quotes for you, and you can decide for yourself.

(Rotoworld) Coach Mike Munchak attributes Chris Johnson's low output in the preseason opener to the coaching staff's failure to adjust to Seattle's defense stacking the box. Analysis: Titans coaches didn't gameplan to the level they would have in the regular season. "They were attacking the line of scrimmage with eight guys right from the beginning to make sure Chris didn't get going," Munchak explained. "As we got a feel for what they were doing, we started adjusting our calls and the running game started busting open, which I assume would have happened if Chris was in there."

(Rotoworld) Titans GM Ruston Webster is the latest to suggest that Chris Johnson is back to his "old self" this season.

Analysis: It's the first CJ report we've heard from inside the organization since camp started. Johnson admits he wasn't "really, really myself" even as his play picked up late last season, pointing out that it takes "toward the end of camp" to get into football shape. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport observed that his "cuts were sharp, the spring is back and teammates have noticed" this week. Johnson "smiled broadly" when discussing his offensive line, a positive sign considering last year's run-blocking failures.

(Rotoworld) A team source tells Pro Football Weekly that Chris Johnson is "running harder" in offseason workouts than he did prior to his breakout 2009 season. Analysis: We have a hard time comprehending the value of this before contact practices have started, but the team source confirmed that Johnson added bulk this spring "after consistently shying away from contact" last year. Johnson is reportedly also showing improved leadership skills, and "setting an example for younger players." Johnson can have a big rebound year if he runs harder in 2012 games.

(Rotoworld) Coach Mike Munchak said Chris Johnson has been working out with the team five days a week during the entire offseason. Analysis: The Titans asked Johnson to do four days per week, so he's drawn rave reviews by going above and beyond. It's further evidence that the artist formerly known as CJ2K has rededicated himself this offseason. This is the first time he's ever spent his spring/summer in Nashville instead of his hometown Orlando.

Now, does this mean he's going to bust out 50 yard td's all year long? Nobody can answer that at this point. I like what I've been reading every day this offseason. I truly believe he's put himself in a good position to have a great year. If last year was so bad - check his stats - I would be pumped with a good/great year. That's all you can ask for in fantasy football and as a fan. :cheers:

Good grief. People are ready to jump off the edge after the first preseason game?

Get a grip, dude.

I'm taking a wait and see approach, my draft isnt till the last week of August so I have all preseason to evaluate his performance. I didnt like what I saw though from the oline and his effort in week 1, watched the replay on NFL network. Does it mean hes going to repeat last year, not at all, but its worth keeping an eye on and also see how he does the next couple weeks. If his output improves as Im sure it will as his carries increase leading up to week 3's dress rehersal game where the starters play 3 full quarters, then I'd def draft him in the first, if the trend of week 1 continues then his stock plummets for me cuz if he cant get it going after OTA's and training camp and preseason theres no reason to think hell just hit a switch in the real season. Again its a wait and see approach for me and its also why I suggest to everyone plan your drafts for as late as possible. JMHO

I'm taking a wait and see approach, my draft isnt till the last week of August so I have all preseason to evaluate his performance. I didnt like what I saw though from the oline and his effort in week 1, watched the replay on NFL network. Does it mean hes going to repeat last year, not at all, but its worth keeping an eye on and also see how he does the next couple weeks.

These are the comments I just don't understand :dunno:

16 games played

Rushing

262/1047/4

longest run 48 yards

11 20+ yards rushes tied for 3rd behind McCoy and Forte - - several at 11 though

Receiving

targeted 79 times for 57 catches 418 yards and no td's

I will be the first to say his td total was horrible

All I can ask for though are touches via handoffs and receptions. Did CJ2K get those? Yes. Will he continue to get those? Yes. And when did 300 touches and 1,565 become a bad year in the nfl?

No respect I tell ya

:cheers:

16 games played

Rushing

262/1047/4

longest run 48 yards

11 20+ yards rushes tied for 3rd behind McCoy and Forte - - several at 11 though

Receiving

All I can ask for though are touches via handoffs and receptions. Did CJ2K get those? Yes. Will he continue to get those? Yes. And when did 300 touches and 1,565 become a bad year in the nfl?

No respect I tell ya

Trust me I know very well what he did last year as I had him drafted him 4th overall. Im just saying what I saw in game one was last years CJ, i that keeps going I may pass at 7th overall for him and go a qb instead, more of a sure thing in points. He's underachieving right now, he doesn't have to rip off 50+yd runs all the time frankly I think those days are over, diff. scheme diff line diff play calling but he still has more talent than hes shown the last year plus the one preseason game.

Good grief. People are ready to jump off the edge after the first preseason game?

Get a grip, dude.

I'm definitely not ready to jump ship, I drafted him in the first round. I posted this for the information that one of the Titan fans provided. Point was to open up conversation. Also, went on titans board and many of them seemed worried and they know more about CJ then I do. Anyways, all opinions are welcome.

16 games played

Rushing

262/1047/4

longest run 48 yards

Receiving

No respect I tell ya

Dude, are you high?

Yeah CJ's stats look fine if you take the whole year. But he absolutely STUNK for the first half of the season and probably killed your fantasy season if you drafted him. By the time he turned things around CJ owners were already in such a hole that his late-season performances hardly did anything.

Maybe this year will be different, but don't pretend like CJ lived up to expectations last year. That's just absurd.

16 games played

Rushing

262/1047/4

longest run 48 yards

Receiving

No respect I tell ya

I did'nt say anything about jumping off a ledge and I didn't say 300 touches and 1565 yards were bad but maybe you are talking about someone else.

I just said I've taken him off my draft list. Last year's FF stats were not awful, however, neither were they 1st round worthy by any means. Maybe your scoring sytem was different but in my PPR leagues he was RB13. Among the RBs who scored more were Matt Forte (partial season), Fred Jackson (partial season), Michael Bush, Reggie Bush, and AP was right behind with his partial season. More importantly, and this was my unstated point, he was player #47 in scoring. There were last year, and maybe are this year, many more choices who could provide a larger differential for your 1st round pick including non-running backs. Unless I see something different I would rather go a another way and I was stating why. Maybe you could show where those stats justified his draft slot but the 2 teams that had him in leagues I was in (not me) were out of contention completely. When the year started I thought they had pretty good teams, maybe others had a different result with CJ or maybe they somehow got him with a much later pick (3rd round maybe?.)

As for this assertion:

"Coach Mike Munchak attributes Chris Johnson's low output in the preseason opener to the coaching staff's failure to adjust to Seattle's defense stacking the box. Analysis: Titans coaches didn't gameplan to the level they would have in the regular season. "They were attacking the line of scrimmage with eight guys right from the beginning to make sure Chris didn't get going," Munchak explained. "As we got a feel for what they were doing, we started adjusting our calls and the running game started busting open, which I assume would have happened if Chris was in there."

Well yeah, hasn't that been going on for a couple of year's? In any case it wasn't safeties that I saw in the backfield tackling him. There was so much penetration he did not have a chance which was, again, one of my points. The poor body language and the dropped passes after he couldn't get started was actually my biggest concern. As I mentioned he has gotten alot of positive press, is supposed to be in great shape, is supposed to have a different attitude and there is still time for him even in preseason to change my mind, maybe. I do think you are whistling past the graveyard if can't admit that the weight of evidence comes down on the side of him not being a 1st round producer at this very moment in time.

For what its worth, the Seattle D should be quite good this year. They've been pretty successful in stopping the run last year and the first half of 2010.

And when did 300 touches and 1,565 become a bad year in the nfl?

1.Despite his year end stats, he finished the year with HALF of his games with 7pts or less (non-ppr). That's crippling to a fantasy team.

2.He only had THREE, count em, THREE weeks last year where he had more then 12pts. Brutal.

3.Of his three weeks where he put up true RB1 stats, they were against Car, TB, and Buff...those were (according to my league at RT) the THREE WORST fantasy d's against RB's last year. So, his stats last year were actually inflated...also, he played two games against the Colts, who were the 4th worst d against the run, and he put up two duds.

From what I saw of his games last year (and I saw a little, since he was on my squad, if you couldn't tell by the overwhelming lingering bitterness), his struggles were largely due to a terrible o-line which either (1) had him get hit in the backfield or (2) just didn't open any holes that allowed him to utilize his speed...and that's what I saw again in the few carries he had vs Sea...

Granted it's only a few plays in one game, but personally I need to see drastic improvement for me to draft him anywhere near where he's slated to go, and i didn't see any improvement whatsoever.

I'm in the Tennessee market and see every game. Cut it anyway you want, Johnson was a fantasy killer last year. And most of it was tied to his very low touchdown output. Other RB's with the same yardage line as Johnson in the first half of the year (something like 42 yards rushing, 21 receiving) might accidently SCORE and hit double digit fantasy points. CJ just couldn't do it the first half of the season. I want to know if the O Line can get him in the end zone this year. If so, then he is a first round pick; if not, he slides.

Two years ago I sat in the stands at a Titan's game and watched CJ (on my fantasy team) get the corner and go 80 plus yards without being touched. He had blazing speed and ran in between the tackles as well. I think he can do it again but, as with most all RB's, the O Line is going to be the difference.

He also had a great FB two years ago and this year it is, uh, Quinn Johnson or the Mooney kid.

He has been downgraded to a DND. Those 5 carries are all I need to know that anyone willing to draft him in the first few rounds is asking for trouble. They may as well forfeit their entire season before it begins. This guy wont even finish in the top 50 RB's this season, based on that preseason performance. Let everyone know that Chris Johnson is a wasted pick.

Now everybody do your part to get his stock to fall, so that those of us who are drafting at the back end actually have a chance at him.

He has been downgraded to a DND. Those 5 carries are all I need to know that anyone willing to draft him in the first few rounds is asking for trouble. They may as well forfeit their entire season before it begins. This guy wont even finish in the top 50 RB's this season, based on that preseason performance. Let everyone know that Chris Johnson is a wasted pick.

Now everybody do your part to get his stock to fall, so that those of us who are drafting at the back end actually have a chance at him.

Agreed, Ditka vs._____'. Johnson will be okay, especially with the thin RB1's. One thing to remember about pre-season: NOTHING!!!!! Pre-season tells you very, very little except for injuries, and I don't believe everything I hear about those.

Look at his physical attributes (pictures) of CJ during his 2,000 rushing season.

Take notice on how he look in the first preseason game.

The dude must have bulked up 10-15lbs of muscle. That might simply be too much weight for a guy known for speed.

first off, if your team was in a hole because of how CJ performed in the start of the season, you must really suck at drafting

second...it was a preseason game....nobody plays 100% unless they are after a roster spot or competing to start

CJ will be fine.....cant base anything off last year stats, even though his ended up fine....how about the people who drafted Jamal Charles early last year, or Run DMC.....

top RB picks in order last year in my league

Foster

AP

CJ

Jamal

Rice

Mccoy

2nd

MJD

Sjax

Foster, Rice, Mccoy played like they should of been where they were drafted......MJD played above his draft spot

13.38 sjax

13.50 cj

thats points per game for Sjax...and CJ....yeah, CJ didnt play to his draft spot, but wasnt a whole loss of a pick....

CJ had a better average per week in my league, than most the bottom half of 1st rd WR's

so basically, since RB's are more scarce because of RBBC....he is on a team where HE is the main guy, on field almost every off. play.......if that aint worth a spot after the top big 3, than i dont know what to tell ya.....he is rarely injured....and his ceiling is VERY high

im takin him all day at my #7 spot

Titans fan chiming in here.

I had decided that I would take him anwhere lower than the #4 spot this year, based on camp comments. The game the other night has scared me though.

I know, I know, it was ONE preseson game. Five carries. Don't overreact.

But...

1. He did the same crap he did all last year. He danced. He went down before contact. He refused to hit the hole.

2. The offensive line was just that... offensive.

3. He dropped like 3 easy screen passes.

Basically, I'm worried that he hasn't got that hunger anymore. That combined with the fact that he has lost at least one step, plus a sh!tty line, spells trouble IMHO.

Locker looks like he is winning the starting job. That will help, as defenses will have to stay home to guard against Locker's legs, and can't stack the box as much due to his big arm.

Obviously, I'll wait and see what happens in the next three games, but I am very cautious at this point.

first off, if your team was in a hole because of how CJ performed in the start of the season, you must really suck at drafting

If you can basically blow your number one pick on a player who gave you NOTHING for the first half of the season and not even miss a beat, then your league probably sucks.

He is the type of runner that needs a great O line. I dont see it, I think he finishes out of the top ten RBs this year. If they could make some lanes to run thru he would be great but its just not gonna happen. If he falls to 2nd round then I will bite but thats it for me. Another problem for me is he just does not seem to enjoy the game, seems like he would rather be doing something else, not a good sign and I could see him doing a Shaun Alexander,,,,, fall off the clif sort of thing.

Well, seems like we have people on both sides of the fence. What worried me is when I went on the titans message board and about 70% of the comments were more of the "same crap we saw last year", "lost his hunger", "brick hands", "not hitting holes that where there trying to get a home run everytime" then "it was just one preseason game", "didn't you see all the positive camp comments and how good he supposedly looked" and "he'll be fine".

So that is why I posted this thread. Typically, if anyone was going to stick up for CJ, it would be titan fans, but that wasn't the case.

Well, seems like we have people on both sides of the fence. What worried me is when I went on the titans message board and about 70% of the comments were more of the "same crap we saw last year", "lost his hunger", "brick hands", "not hitting holes that where there trying to get a home run everytime" then "it was just one preseason game", "didn't you see all the positive camp comments and how good he supposedly looked" and "he'll be fine".

So that is why I posted this thread. Typically, if anyone was going to stick up for CJ, it would be titan fans, but that wasn't the case.

I assume you're talking about gotitans.com?

Yeah, its pretty anti CJ over there. There are even "cut CJ for Reanaurd" threads going.

But to be fair, that is also the board where Kendall Wright is trashed for being "fat, slow, and short" Locker is blasted as a sub 50% passer that will never be jack, Hasselbeck is a "washed up old man, captain checkdown pick machine" Britt should be cut, Cook is a moron, Amano is the worst football player ever (true), Brown can't tackle, etc. and so on.

My point is, we have a lot of trolls over there. But there is great concern over CJ, and I think it is legit.

I assume you're talking about gotitans.com?

Yeah, its pretty anti CJ over there. There are even "cut CJ for Reanaurd" threads going.

But to be fair, that is also the board where Kendall Wright is trashed for being "fat, slow, and short" Locker is blasted as a sub 50% passer that will never be jack, Hasselbeck is a "washed up old man, captain checkdown pick machine" Britt should be cut, Cook is a moron, Amano is the worst football player ever (true), Brown can't tackle, etc. and so on.

My point is, we have a lot of trolls over there. But there is great concern over CJ, and I think it is legit.

Yes, the very one. Thanks for clearing that up though.

Get a grip, dude.

:first:

Ease up fellas...it's early. Don't put too much stock into the preseason.

Some teams hide what they have, others show they are well-oiled.

Even so, it's the first freakin game.

:first:

Ease up fellas...it's early. Don't put too much stock into the preseason.

Some teams hide what they have, others show they are well-oiled.

Even so, it's the first freakin game.

But I'm just so freaked out man, I'm freaking out man, I'm seriously freaking out.

Does drafting CJ as RB1 and Mendenhall as RB2 count as suck at drafting.. :wall: :doh:

Yes, the very one. Thanks for clearing that up though.

Yeah...like the other poster above suggested, you have to take the stuff at GoTitans.com with a grain of salt. In general, they're very passionate and very knowledgeable about the Titans over there; but they're also pretty reactionary. (The same sort of thing could probably be said of most other teams' fan-forums too.)

Yeah...like the other poster above suggested, you have to take the stuff at GoTitans.com with a grain of salt. In general, they're very passionate and very knowledgeable about the Titans over there; but they're also pretty reactionary. (The same sort of thing could probably be said of most other teams' fan-forums too.)

Yeah. We've had a few fans on our board overreact about the MJD situation so that makes sense.

If you can basically blow your number one pick on a player who gave you NOTHING for the first half of the season and not even miss a beat, then your league probably sucks.

lol, sure fella

lol, sure fella

For the record, I took CJ @ six last year and did not make the playoffs. This was a team that had Gronk/Rothlisberger/Charles/Calvin Johnson - so my draft didn't suck and it p!ssed me off you implied that earlier in the thread. The fact is that CJ sucked bigtime for fantasy last year, and anyone who doesn't agree is suffering from delusions. IGotWorms' post in response to yours was 1000% accurate.

For the record, I took CJ @ six last year and did not make the playoffs. This was a team that had Gronk/Rothlisberger/Charles/Calvin Johnson - so my draft didn't suck and it p!ssed me off you implied that earlier in the thread. The fact is that CJ sucked bigtime for fantasy last year, and anyone who doesn't agree is suffering from delusions. IGotWorms' post in response to yours was 1000% accurate.

LOL! There is sooooo much bitterness toward CJ (INCLUDING ME!!!) that for MOST 2011 owners the fellow would have to drop to well into the second round for those guys to consider him. I didn't draft the greatest last year, but he was the difference in me making and not making the playoffs for the first time in many years in my money league (as a matter of fact for the FIRST time in that league).

To be a complete back, Johnson MUST catch and run. For whatever reason, hold out, lost passion, lost focus, whatever, Johnson couldn't catch a cold last year. If he is doing that again, then Ringer will have a chance to be the 3rd down back all the time. CJ was on the field for just about every play in 2010. RB1's really don't need to have a 3rd down back sending them to the sidelines. But, alas, RB2's are very weak and back-half RB1's all have their question marks. CJ's value is pretty high in 2012.

Yeah. We've had a few fans on our board overreact about the MJD situation so that makes sense.

Oh, you are at the Jags forum? I got permabanned over there after about 6 posts. They don't seem to find the "L.A. Faguars" jokes funny over there. :doublethumbsup:

Oh, you are at the Jags forum? I got permabanned over there after about 6 posts. They don't seem to find the "L.A. Faguars" jokes funny over there. :doublethumbsup:

Well, I'm sure they didn't, that would be trolling and you would be banned anywhere else. I would hope you have better things to do then to rip on the lowly Jaguars on stale jokes that still have yet to be even remotely true. How is that stadium coming in L.A.?

I'm usually a "glass half full" sorta guy regarding preseason -- I'll pay attention when somebody is shining, but usually don't concern myself about poor performance, especially after one game.

That being said, put me in the camp that is concerned a little about CJ. The reasons have been discussed so I won't repeat them. To put it simply: I like my 1st round pick to be a rock-solid sure-fire top producer (barring injuries of course). The second I would click the button to draft CJ, I'd be thinking "man, I sure hope he can return to his old form." Not exactly a ringing endorsement. Depending on your scoring, you have the top 3 RBs, top 3 QBs, Calvin, Graham, maybe Gronk (I'm not as high on him personally, different topic).

I'd start to consider him towards the turn, but in a list of other RBs with questions (McFadden, Murray, Forte) and WRs like Fitz, Roddy, and Julio.

He is the type of runner that needs a great O line.

Footballguys.com Offensive Line rankings has Titans ranked #1 with an A++ score. (#1 in Run Block, #3 in Pass Block)

If he can't run behind this line, there isn't a line in football he can run behind.

No he has talent and it will shine through. He had five carries...let me repeat that, five carries what are you expecting 100yds and 2TD's?

Everyone likes to trash Seattle but our defense has a real chance to be one of the elite defenses in the NFL this year. Add in the fact Seattle was at home, in one of a handful of stadiums that actually has significant crowd noise and the Titans are starting a new group along their O-line on the road and of course they will have problems. It's going to get better.

Besides any owner that gets a trade proposal right now will realize you are panic trading him at low value and screw you...which reminds me I have one early team and I need to go harass the Chris johnson owner. Thanks! :thumbsup: