Sign in to follow this  
SuperSteelers

Daryl Richardson

What did you see from his the last few weeks. I know they drafted Isiah Pead last year out of Cincy, but he obviously hasn't made an impact. What did you like about Richardson? What didn't you like about him? He and SJax have basically been nearly splitting carries the last two weeks. Please provide some insight.

What did you see from his the last few weeks. I know they drafted Isiah Pead last year out of Cincy, but he obviously hasn't made an impact. What did you like about Richardson? What didn't you like about him? He and SJax have basically been nearly splitting carries the last two weeks. Please provide some insight.

I am not a STL homer however I do own DR in my dynasty league. From what I have seen so far it looks like this is is audition for the full time gig next year. The rams have let it be known that they don't plan on bringing SJ back and allowed him to void out the last year of his contract for a reason.

DR is the first RB in many years that can spell SJax. He's not as strong as SJax but appears to be quicker at the moment.

As a Sjax owner and a Rams fan here's my take:

The Rams are decent this year but their not winning the division and a wildcard spot is a long shot.

Once out of contention, The DR Show(say in a very old ladies voice) starts with his side kick Pead.

Sure Sjax well get carries, but it well be audition time for The DR Show and Pead.

Wonder where Sjax ends up next year?

As a Sjax owner and a Rams fan here's my take:

The Rams are decent this year but their not winning the division and a wildcard spot is a long shot.

Once out of contention, the DR show(say in a very old ladies voice) starts with his side kick Pead.

Sure Sjax well get carries, but it well be audition time for the DR show and Pead.

Wonder where Sjax ends up next year?

I think thats why Richardson is getting so many carries already. Fisher wants to know hat he has in him, and we'll prolly be letting Jackson walk if he can get a decent offer anywhere.

I have sjax and dr.....I am now starting to contemplate starting dr

He gets almost equal carries and when playing from behind he gets more involved in passing game

They will be behind vs pack so I think dr is the one to start this week

Actually come to think of it. I am not too sure which back is auditioning. DR for the rams or Sjax for the league. With DR splitting carries and looking way faster than Sjax it very well could be his job next year in the coaches eyes now.Especially if he is involved in the passing game as much.

So would it be wise to pickup richardson in a keeper league to stash for next year?

absolutely.

absolutely.

If D Richardson pans out ill be keeping him and Trent Richardson or I can keep Andy Dalton or Torrey Smith. Decisions decisions.

Writing about this in tomorrow's Blitz. As of this very moment, this isn't quite a timeshare yet, at least not based on the Miami game. This is more of a 60-40 split at best IMO. It was pretty clear to me the plan against the 'Fins was to use Richardson on outside runs or draws and Jackson on inside runs. I won't deny that Richardson's role is increasing, but I think last week's use of him was the Rams' answer to losing Amendola. And let's remember that minus his 40+ yard run on the second play of the game, Richardson was around 3.3 YPC vs. Miami.

I think for the immediate future, his owners will have to ask themselves: does the Rams' opponent this week have enough up front to stop Jackson? If they do, then Richardson is probably worth a flex play.

Thanks for the input. Assuming Richardson gets the starting nod next season. What can we expect from him as a full-time back. Does he have the capability of being a 1000-yard rusher with 6-10 tds? Or will he end up being a James Starks type.

Thanks for the input. Assuming Richardson gets the starting nod next season. What can we expect from him as a full-time back. Does he have the capability of being a 1000-yard rusher with 6-10 tds? Or will he end up being a James Starks type.

This isn't a James Starks situation in the sense where you have talented injury-prone runner in a passing offense. Richardson is legitimately explosive and doesn't have the injury track record of Starks. I can't help but think back to what Fisher did a few years ago with LenDale White and Chris Johnson in terms of their current use, although Jackson is miles ahead of White and Richardson is no Johnson. The thing that struck me watching the Miami game was that the inside-outside plan even stayed true to form at the goal line.

On a separate but related note...as I'm currently watching the Bills-Cards game, I see a lot of the same usage for Jackson-Spiller, one man inside and one man outside (and draws).

As for next year's predictions, I'd have to assume Pead is going to work his way into the mix with a dedicated offseason. I'd be hesistant to get too giddy about Richardson just yet in dynasty leagues for that reason. Plus, the Rams need three SERIOUS upgrades to the o-line as LT, LG and RT are currently filled with players who are all among the worst starters in the league. C Robert Turner is actually grading out pretty well according to Pro Football Focus and RG Harvey Dahl is a solid player.

Writing about this in tomorrow's Blitz. As of this very moment, this isn't quite a timeshare yet, at least not based on the Miami game. This is more of a 60-40 split at best IMO. It was pretty clear to me the plan against the 'Fins was to use Richardson on outside runs or draws and Jackson on inside runs. I won't deny that Richardson's role is increasing, but I think last week's use of him was the Rams' answer to losing Amendola. And let's remember that minus his 40+ yard run on the second play of the game, Richardson was around 3.3 YPC vs. Miami.

I think for the immediate future, his owners will have to ask themselves: does the Rams' opponent this week have enough up front to stop Jackson? If they do, then Richardson is probably worth a flex play.

So GB & NE are the next 2 weeks and they do have that kind of front, and then there's the bye, but then after that maybe DRich starts emerging more and more?

I had DRich, dropped him and then added him again. I have a week 8 bye at RB so I am holding for that but am considering other options too.

Sometimes when these transitions happen FF'ers wait for the guy to officially take over, have the good game, and then it's too late. Pick these guys when they start getting the time share.

Sometimes when these transitions happen FF'ers wait for the guy to officially take over, have the good game, and then it's too late. Pick these guys when they start getting the time share.

I'm on both sides of this one. I have Richardson in one league and Jackson in another. I picked up Richarson in the one league after Week 2 and have been trying to trade Jackson for about the same length of time. But to your point, in my 18-man roster leagues, it is vital you pick RBs up at the first hint of a time share.

This isn't a James Starks situation in the sense where you have talented injury-prone runner in a passing offense. Richardson is legitimately explosive and doesn't have the injury track record of Starks. I can't help but think back to what Fisher did a few years ago with LenDale White and Chris Johnson in terms of their current use, although Jackson is miles ahead of White and Richardson is no Johnson. The thing that struck me watching the Miami game was that the inside-outside plan even stayed true to form at the goal line.

On a separate but related note...as I'm currently watching the Bills-Cards game, I see a lot of the same usage for Jackson-Spiller, one man inside and one man outside (and draws).

As for next year's predictions, I'd have to assume Pead is going to work his way into the mix with a dedicated offseason. I'd be hesistant to get too giddy about Richardson just yet in dynasty leagues for that reason. Plus, the Rams need three SERIOUS upgrades to the o-line as LT, LG and RT are currently filled with players who are all among the worst starters in the league. C Robert Turner is actually grading out pretty well according to Pro Football Focus and RG Harvey Dahl is a solid player.

Outside of a big run a game, which you can't count on, it's a whole lot of smoke and steam for minimal gains. I think he looks a lot faster than he actually is because he seems to always get tackled before getting any real yardage. I guess the other way of looking at it is that he is really close to breaking a lot of runs but hasn't been converting on them. And that's just how it is for this inexact science we have.

I have him and David Wilson in a few, I have them over guys like William Powell and Felix Jones. I don't expect too much out of D-Rich and it's more an indictment on the RB depth on some of my teams. The teams where I am comfortable with my rosters they won't make it onto. I like Wilson over him though.

Why does everyone do this? Median yards per carry is roughly the same for all running backs. Isn't it the ability of running backs to break long runs that separates the good running backs from the ho hum?

Why does everyone do this? Median yards per carry is roughly the same for all running backs. Isn't it the ability of running backs to break long runs that separates the good running backs from the ho hum?

Here's why I do it (the few times I do anyway): if a RB can hit the league average (usually around 4.0) when you subtract his big run in a game, it usually means he had a pretty good game or was just facing a poor defense. In this case, we can basically eliminate the latter b/c Miami has a good run defense.) While it doesn't mean much to the people who are just happy w/ their guy getting 75 yards, we look for things that are predictable in this business. In Richardson's case, if the book gets out that "all he does is run outside", then his production probably isn't sustainable. Mentioning the YPC (minus the big run) isn't meant to discredit but more to provide perspective on their performance.

Now, if we see regular big runs from a player over a period of time, then we can start believing that is just "part of his game". But right now, it is clear after watching the games that Richardson is doing what they hoped Pead would do - break big runs on the perimeter - and little more.

The whole point about excluding larger/longer runs because they obfuscate the norm or what one can expect is interesting, and it has validity.

But the comment about running outside mostly (which by the way I couldn't help but notice actually was made before the same comment came out in Rotoworld)...:

Rams rookie RB Daryl Richardson gained 88 of his 99 total yards in Week 6 against the Dolphins on outside-toss sweeps and screen plays.

Six of Richardson's 13 touches were tosses and screens. He gained just 11 yards on his other seven touches, mostly of the inside-run variety. After reviewing the Rams-Dolphins game, Rotoworld's Evan Silva charted Richardson with just one broken tackle. While clearly a dangerous threat on the perimeter, Richardson's increased Week 6 role appeared to be game-plan specific versus Miami's immovable front. ...

Chatter has picked up again of impressive rookie Daryl Richardson making a move on Steven Jackson's starting job. After watching the Week 6 Dolphins-Rams game, I can say confidently that Richardson won't be St. Louis' starter barring S-Jax injury. While Jackson continues to run at a much higher level than his fantasy scoring suggests, Richardson is settling in as an exciting, but limited change-of-pace back. Richardson gained 88 of his 99 yards against Miami on toss sweeps and screens, which accounted for six of his 13 touches. He netted 11 yards on the other seven. Richardson brings a backfield speed element that St. Louis hasn't had in years, but I think his increased Week 6 role was part of a game plan-specific strategy to attack a top-five run defense on the edges. I'd be wary of chasing Richardson's last-week stats into Week 7, and I wonder if he possesses the physicality and inside running chops to make it as a long-term feature back. He only broke one tackle all game at Miami.

...reminds me of something else:

And I know it's wrong to just compare players based on height and weight (DRich, 5'10", 196) and really simplistic observations like 'outside runner' or the like, but I have to say the comments remind me of what was being done with Jamaal Charles (5'11", 199) when he first broke out (remember Thomas Jones, folks?) and so does this run (and as someone who got to see Mr. Charles up close in the Dome just a few weeks ago I can tell you this looks very reminiscent):

(Comment from the Rams radio guy - "This is something we haven't seen for awhile").

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBi56rkNpjI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bp8_x0iKkI

Presuming Saffold is back in regular form next season following his injury, they'll likely only need to fill two spots. Still not great with holes at two other spots, but he was a good tackle.

I was looking up his pro day numbers when i saw this nugget

"Draft Scout Snapshot: A closer look at the Rams' picks: Round 7/252 - Daryl Richardson, RB, 5-10, 192, Abilene Christian...Speed back with explosiveness, Richardson is the brother of NFL players Bernard Scott (Bengals) and Clyde Gates (Dolphins). - The Sports Exchange"

Who is this woman with super genes pumping out NFL babies left and right? Is she still furtile? I could use an NFL child to make daddy some monies.

I was looking up his pro day numbers when i saw this nugget

"Draft Scout Snapshot: A closer look at the Rams' picks: Round 7/252 - Daryl Richardson, RB, 5-10, 192, Abilene Christian...Speed back with explosiveness, Richardson is the brother of NFL players Bernard Scott (Bengals) and Clyde Gates (Dolphins). - The Sports Exchange"

Who is this woman with super genes pumping out NFL babies left and right? Is she still furtile? I could use an NFL child to make daddy some monies.

The nfl started a secret genetics program in the late 60s and these are 3 of the examples of their handywork that panned out....bad examples were ryan leaf and Jamarcus Russell

Appearing on NFL Network's First on the Field, Michael Lombardi said the Rams are "shopping several players" to the rest of the league prior to the October 30 trade deadline.

Lombardi failed to mention specific names, but the Rams are the youngest team in the league and don't have many veterans that would seem to interest contending teams, aside from Steven Jackson. S-Jax makes sense because he and the Rams restructured his contract, making him a free agent after the 2012 season. He and rookie Daryl Richardson have also been splitting carries in recent weeks. Neither player has found the end zone this season, as the Rams have just one rushing touchdown as a team. Still, it's a long shot that Jackson is traded this week. Rookie GM Les Snead won't be scared to pull the trigger, though.

From a fantasy standpoint, I'd love to see S-Jax go somewhere and be the bowcell...regardless of where.

But as a fan, I'd love to see him traded to a contender. He's earned the opportunity to play for a winner.

From a fantasy standpoint, I'd love to see S-Jax go somewhere and be the bowcell...regardless of where.

But as a fan, I'd love to see him traded to a contender. He's earned the opportunity to play for a winner.

I would be more than happy to have him here in the DET. Our ground game is putrid.