Sign in to follow this  
swashbuckler

Dwyer will likely draw another start this week

You shouldn't sleep on Dwyer at this point. The Jerome Bettis comparisons are flying all over the place, led by no less than Roethlisberger himself. Steelers fans love that bruising style of runner. It's an amazing turnaround considering that Dwyer was only averaging 2.9 ypc before these last 2 games and had been a healthy scratch twice.

At the very least, the Steelers should ride the hot hand, because lord knows they had no running game to speak of before. Mendenhall may be scrounging for playing time unless/until Dwyer falters.

One situation did bother me though.....Steelers were first and goal at the 5, and they threw 3 plays in a row.

Dwyer was in there, but they were passing.

That's the drive Heath Miller got his TD in the back of the end zone.

So....where was the smash mouth running to pound it in ?

One situation did bother me though.....Steelers were first and goal at the 5, and they threw 3 plays in a row.

Yes and no.

There was another drive where they ran him twice at the 1 yard and he got stuffed.

Yes and no.

There was another drive where they ran him twice at the 1 yard and he got stuffed.

I think that you both are mixing plays together.

1st drive

1-5-WAS 5 (10:05) 27-J.Dwyer left tackle to WAS 3 for 2 yards (23-D.Hall).

2-3-WAS 3 (9:23) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass short left to 83-H.Miller to WAS 1 for 2 yards (72-S.Bowen, 23-D.Hall).

3-1-WAS 1 (8:41) 27-J.Dwyer left guard to WAS 1 for no gain (50-R.Jackson, 37-R.Doughty).

4-1-WAS 1 (8:02) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass short right to 45-L.Pope for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN.

3rd drive

1-7-WAS 7 (6:34) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete short middle to 22-C.Rainey. Coverage by #56 Riley.

2-7-WAS 7 (6:29) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete short left to 17-M.Wallace.

3-7-WAS 7 (6:24) (Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass short middle to 83-H.Miller for 7 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

He also got some goal-line work on the 1st drive of the 2nd half

1-2-WAS 2 (5:58) 27-J.Dwyer right guard to WAS 1 for 1 yard (56-P.Riley; 32-J.Pugh).

2-1-WAS 1 (5:17) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass short right to 46-W.Johnson for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN.

Bottom line is that he had his chances, he just could not punch it in.

He had a few carries from in tight and just missed, once getting stopped pretty much at the stripe. As a Roethlisberger owner, I'm loving the Steelers willingness to chuck it to tight ends and fullbacks from the goaline.

Until Mike Tomlin announces who is going to be the starter, I'd hold off on the excitement. Even then I see more of a RBBC than a single RB being a workhorse. (Barring injury of course)

Until Mike Tomlin announces who is going to be the starter, I'd hold off on the excitement. Even then I see more of a RBBC than a single RB being a workhorse. (Barring injury of course)

Yeah cause Tomlin would be so excited to go away from back to back dominating running performances to a committee of 2.5 ypc running game.

If you haven't noticed he has shared a lot of playing time already...he will just be sharing with mendy and Redman rather than batch and so much Rainey who will go back to pure passing down rb. There are quarters at a time he isn't involved....but he makes his touches count for large chunks of yards. He doesn't need 25 touches to get 100 yds

No he will play best player period that is his history. Best example has to be putting a healthy ward basically from #2 wr to #5 by end of last year. Also playing a ton of rookies since he became coach.

No, you are wrong. His history is to give the vets PT over the younger guys, and to "punish" the younger guys, almost like he was "hazing" them. Dwyer was benched for 2 games earlier this year for fumbling. That doesn't happen to Redman or Mendenhall.

You cite Ward going from #2 WR to #5 WR LAST YEAR. Ward shouldn't have been playing at all last year. He wasn't better than A Brown at the beginning of last year, but because he was "the vet," he started as the #2 WR, over Brown, Sanders (I know he was hurt), and Cotchery. The year prior, Ward was all but done, yet he continued to get playing time over those young WRs, BECAUSE HE WAS A VET, and that is Tomlin's history.

No, you are wrong. His history is to give the vets PT over the younger guys, and to "punish" the younger guys, almost like he was "hazing" them. Dwyer was benched for 2 games earlier this year for fumbling. That doesn't happen to Redman or Mendenhall.

You cite Ward going from #2 WR to #5 WR LAST YEAR. Ward shouldn't have been playing at all last year. He wasn't better than A Brown at the beginning of last year, but because he was "the vet," he started as the #2 WR, over Brown, Sanders (I know he was hurt), and Cotchery. The year prior, Ward was all but done, yet he continued to get playing time over those young WRs, BECAUSE HE WAS A VET, and that is Tomlin's history.

Cotchery is a vet......

Cotchery is a vet......

Cotchery is oldest wr vet yet doesn't see the field.

Wallace saw a ton of pt as a rookie as did sanders and brown. Pouncey started as a rookie...gilbert started as a rookie...decastro was slated to start over vet before injury....adams is a rookie starting at rt now....Rainey is a rookie and is primary 3rd down rb now over 2nd year batch...

Mr. Texans...can you name one position where the best player on the team isn't starting?

There is such thing as playing yourself into starting position. That is what dwyer has done

Yeah cause Tomlin would be so excited to go away from back to back dominating running performances to a committee of 2.5 ypc running game.

If you haven't noticed he has shared a lot of playing time already...he will just be sharing with mendy and Redman rather than batch and so much Rainey who will go back to pure passing down rb. There are quarters at a time he isn't involved....but he makes his touches count for large chunks of yards. He doesn't need 25 touches to get 100 yds

He's gotten 17 carries vs the Redskins, whereas Batch and Rainey got 4 a piece. Rainey will continue to get his touches and I guarantee that Mendenhall gets more than 4 carries when healthy. And I haven't even brought up Redman yet.

Against the Bengals Dwyer also had 17 carries while Rainey got 4 carries and Batch got 2.

During his press conference today, Mike Tomlin refused to declare a starter at RB.

He did say that Mendenhall would start individual work this week.

Dwyer is dealing with a quad injury and is expected to miss practice tomorrow and should return the next day depending on how he feels.

Redman will be a full participate in practice this week.

In other injury news. LaMarr Woodley suffered a hamstring injury and his availability for the game will be determined by how much he's able to practice this week.

Stevenson Slyvester is doubtful with a hamstring injury.

Ryan Clark suffered a concussion and his availability depends on the concussion tests.

David DeCastro will continue to do individual work.

Marcus Gilbert is out

Troy Polamalu is out.

Cotchery is oldest wr vet yet doesn't see the field.

Wallace saw a ton of pt as a rookie as did sanders and brown. Pouncey started as a rookie...gilbert started as a rookie...decastro was slated to start over vet before injury....adams is a rookie starting at rt now....Rainey is a rookie and is primary 3rd down rb now over 2nd year batch...

Mr. Texans...can you name one position where the best player on the team isn't starting?

There is such thing as playing yourself into starting position. That is what dwyer has done

Wallace started 4 games as a rookie, Sanders started 1, Brown started zero. Maybe check your facts?

Pouncey started as a rookie, as did Gilbert. Decastro was NEVER named a starter. He looked good in preseason, (partially because their O-line has been abysmal the last few years), and local beat writers were proclaiming him the starter, but Tomlin NEVER did. Adams is starting now due to injuries. He's only started 2 games, recently, it's not like he won the job, he was forced into starting. You, being a Steelers fan, should know that.

Look at their D-line. They had Hood their the last few years, but he was sitting behind Hampton, Hoke, Keisel, and Aaron Smith. With their age and injury history, Hood should have been in front of at least one of those guys, but he didn't start a single game his rookie year, didn't become the starter until halfway through his second year, even though he was clearly better than those guys.

Look at CB the last few years. Opposite Taylor, they've started guys like Gay and McFadden, over the rookies they've drafted, even though Gay has shown he isn't good enough, and McFadden, when he came back from Arizona, clearly wasn't the same caliber cb he was a few years ago. But Tomlin stuck with those veterans, rather than giving his younger guys the chance.

And, sure, Cotchery is a vet, but he wasn't a veteran Steeler. The fact is that Tomlin has always shown a preference for his veterans over younger guys. You guys can ignore that, if you want, and count on Dwyer being the main guy when Mendenhall when he comes back, but you'll probably be disappointed.

Wallace started 4 games as a rookie, Sanders started 1, Brown started zero. Maybe check your facts?

Pouncey started as a rookie, as did Gilbert. Decastro was NEVER named a starter. He looked good in preseason, (partially because their O-line has been abysmal the last few years), and local beat writers were proclaiming him the starter, but Tomlin NEVER did. Adams is starting now due to injuries. He's only started 2 games, recently, it's not like he won the job, he was forced into starting. You, being a Steelers fan, should know that.

Look at their D-line. They had Hood their the last few years, but he was sitting behind Hampton, Hoke, Keisel, and Aaron Smith. With their age and injury history, Hood should have been in front of at least one of those guys, but he didn't start a single game his rookie year, didn't become the starter until halfway through his second year, even though he was clearly better than those guys.

Look at CB the last few years. Opposite Taylor, they've started guys like Gay and McFadden, over the rookies they've drafted, even though Gay has shown he isn't good enough, and McFadden, when he came back from Arizona, clearly wasn't the same caliber cb he was a few years ago. But Tomlin stuck with those veterans, rather than giving his younger guys the chance.

And, sure, Cotchery is a vet, but he wasn't a veteran Steeler. The fact is that Tomlin has always shown a preference for his veterans over younger guys. You guys can ignore that, if you want, and count on Dwyer being the main guy when Mendenhall when he comes back, but you'll probably be disappointed.

Never said those wideouts started dumbass I said they got a lot of PT. I have seen a few steeler games my friend you can't educate me on their team but nice try

A lot of ya buts in your comeback and NOBODY anywhere didnt have DeCastro as the starter geez get a clue admit you are wrong

Btw Dwyer is a vet ....lol

Again too many ya buts that totally contradict your own points you try to make....

Fyi mcfadden was pretty much benched after game one last year and didnt see field except for special teams and all the younger cbs moved ahead of him....again nice try but you contradicted yourself

And last preseason there was a competition for cb opposite of Taylor and Lewis absolutely failed miserably. So much for that point you failed to make. Look it up Lewis was abused in the preseason and lost his opportunity to unseat a vet

Ya but....let's hear it again....YA BUT

Never said those wideouts started dumbass I said they got a lot of PT. I have seen a few steeler games my friend you can't educate me on their team but nice try

A lot of ya buts in your comeback and NOBODY anywhere didnt have DeCastro as the starter geez get a clue admit you are wrong

Again too many ya buts that totally contradict your own points you try to make....

Fyi mcfadden was pretty much benched after game one last year and didnt see field except for special teams and all the younger cbs moved ahead of him....again nice try but you contradicted yourself

And last preseason there was a competition for cb opposite of Taylor and Lewis absolutely failed miserably. So much for that point you failed to make. Look it up Lewis was abused in the preseason and lost his opportunity to unseat a vet

And I never said Dwyer won't get playing time, dumbass, just that Mendy, if healthy, would regain the "starter" title.

"Nobody anywhere didn't have Decastro as the starter?" Then it should be real simple for you to provide some link where Tomlin said he was. I'll wait for you to do that (but I won't hold my breath, because it never happened.)

As for McFadden, he came back in 2010, not last year. He SUCKED, yet started the entire season. Then he had an entire off-season, sucked, but was still the starter the 1st week. Even after that, he was the nickle cb, and played over younger players who could have gotten valuable playing experience. As for Lewis being abused, what would you say happened to McFadden? Except he was abused for an entire season, then in the next pre-season's games, as well. But despite that, Tomlin kept him as starter to start the season. Thanks for making my point for me, which is that Tomlin favors vets over young guys.

And, yes, Dwyer is a "vet," but he's younger and less experienced than both Mendenhall and Redman.

BTW-I have a feeling that very few people could educate you, on any subject. That's alright though, the world needs uneducated, ignorant ditch-diggers and manual laborers, too.

And I never said Dwyer won't get playing time, dumbass, just that Mendy, if healthy, would regain the "starter" title.

"Nobody anywhere didn't have Decastro as the starter?" Then it should be real simple for you to provide some link where Tomlin said he was. I'll wait for you to do that (but I won't hold my breath, because it never happened.)

As for McFadden, he came back in 2010, not last year. He SUCKED, yet started the entire season. Then he had an entire off-season, sucked, but was still the starter the 1st week. Even after that, he was the nickle cb, and played over younger players who could have gotten valuable playing experience. As for Lewis being abused, what would you say happened to McFadden? Except he was abused for an entire season, then in the next pre-season's games. Despite that, Tomlin kept McFadden as the starter. Thanks for making my point for me, which is that Tomlin favors vets over young guys.

And, yes, Dwyer is a "vet," but he's younger and less experienced than both Mendenhall and Redman.

BTW-I have a feeling that very few people could educate you, on any subject. That's alright though, the world needs uneducated, ignorant ditch-diggers and manual laborers, too.

As for McFadden, he came back in 2010, not last year. He SUCKED, yet started the entire season. Then he had an entire off-season, sucked, but was still the starter the 1st week. Even after that, he was the nickle cb, and played over younger players who could have gotten valuable playing experience. As for Lewis being abused, what would you say happened to McFadden? Except he was abused for an entire season, then in the next pre-season's games. Despite that, Tomlin kept McFadden as the starter. Thanks for making my point for me, which is that Tomlin favors vets over young guys.

Ya but..... :o

Hmmm, interesting. A Texan fan telling Steeler fans about their team, their coach, and how he plays players.

Good one!

:doublethumbsup:

Tomlin has ALWAYS played the best player. Period. End of conversation Texan.

You know nothing about the Steelers! NOTHING!

Ya but..... :o

That's about the kind of witty, educated, intelligent response I would expect from a Pittsburgher. Maybe throw a yinz and jagoff in there, to really show off the local intelligence level, huh?

Hmmm, interesting. A Texan fan telling Steeler fans about their team, their coach, and how he plays players.

Good one!

:doublethumbsup:

Tomlin has ALWAYS played the best player. Period. End of conversation Texan.

You know nothing about the Steelers! NOTHING!

Oh, okay, thanks for the headsup. When Mendenhall is back and is the starter, please be sure to bump this thread.

That's about the kind of witty, educated, intelligent response I would expect from a Pittsburgher. Maybe throw a yinz and jagoff in there, to really show off the local intelligence level, huh?

You can't fix stupid. Arguing with you is like arguing with an Obama supporter.

Btw I own both rbs under discussion.

You can't fix stupid. Arguing with you is like arguing with an Obama supporter.

Btw I own both rbs under discussion.

I know you can't fix stupid. That's why you are the way you are, I guess.

And, who cares who you own? And it seems that despite the fact that you are positive that Dwyer will start, Tomlin won't even commit to Dwyer as his starter this week (when Mendenhall isn't likely to be healthy enough to play), much less when Mendenhall is back. Interesting.

BTW-I'm still waiting on that link where Tomlin said Decastro was the starter. I guess arguing with you is like arguing with a Romney supporter. Making bold claims, but having absolutely nothing to back them up.

Sometime folks need to just take off them glasses and see the situation for what it really is.

You guys make this game look so hard.

It's Dwyer 2 games ago, Dwyer last week and Dwyer AGAIN this week.

This is just another RBBC, I don't know why people think Dwyer is their waiver champion.

Either way even with Dywer as the starter, his ceiling is no more than a flex. Once Redman and Mendenhall come back, I doubt you would even use him as your flex after bye weeks.

Sometime folks need to just take off them glasses and see the situation for what it really is.

You guys make this game look so hard.

It's Dwyer 2 games ago, Dwyer last week and Dwyer AGAIN this week.

Good call here. :rolleyes:

I'm starting to believe that Pittsburgh Oline is much improved. Any 3 of the main RBs in Pittsburgh can pull off 100 yds plus.

Which is a bummer to us Rothlisberger owners. Improved running attack and improved defenses isn't gonna help.

If he didn't get hurt, he could had 3 straight 100 yard games and a strangle hold on the starting RB position.

If Redman had not gotten hurt, he could have had 3 straight 100 yard games and a strangle hold on the starting RB position.

If Mendenhall had not gotten hurt, he could have had 3 straight 100 yard games and a strangle hold on the starting RB position.

How are these hypothetical statements any less true than yours? :unsure:

Who gets the nod this week? Hopefully, we'll find out. I still think Dwyer is more explosive than Redman. But it is whatever Tomlin thinks that matters.

Who gets the nod this week? Hopefully, we'll find out. I still think Dwyer is more explosive than Redman. But it is whatever Tomlin thinks that matters.

I don't know that Dwyer is more explosive than Redman. What it tells us, though, is that PIT is a better running team with a power back (Dwyer or Redman) than they are with a smaller, quicker back (Mendy).

As an owner of Dwyer, but not Redman, it appears that Redman is a better back. :dunno:

I don't know that Dwyer is more explosive than Redman. What it tells us, though, is that PIT is a better running team with a power back (Dwyer or Redman) than they are with a smaller, quicker back (Mendy).

As an owner of Dwyer, but not Redman, it appears that Redman is a better back. :dunno:

But Redman was avging below 3 yards a carry before this weekend.

In all, it's a mess...

So who does better on MNF vs KC, Redman or Dwyer?

This seems like one of the best RB matchups of the week.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette opined to 93.7 The Fan Tuesday that Jonathan Dwyer (quad) deserves the start, but "I get the feeling (Tomlin) is going to stick with Isaac Redman" because he was higher on the depth chart and is coming off 147 yards against the Super Bowl champions.

- RW

Oddly enough I picked up Redman and I am a McFadden owner in dire need of a good RB2-quality start.

So, presuming Redman and Dwyer are both active who believes Bouchette and are starting Redman and who over? I am comparing vs Reece/Jones. My opponent has Dwyer and is starting him but because of byes and roster he doesn't appear to have much coice in the matter.

Have to come in and eat some crow.

Tomlin named Dwyer starter today. Based on his history, I didn't think he'd go this way, but I was wrong.

Tomlin named Dwyer starter today. Based on his history, I didn't think he'd go this way, but I was wrong.

This wouldn't be the case if Mendy could hold on to the ball. They may all be fumbling, but I have to say, though, fumbles or not...Dwyer does seem to be the better ball carrier right now.

If I ate crow on everything I was wrong on....I'd be 400 lbs.

But next one to fumble will be out again.

:wall:

If I ate crow on everything I was wrong on....I'd be 400 lbs.

But next one to fumble will be out again.

:wall:

Yeah you're wrong most I the time, down right comical in how wrong you usually are...