Sign in to follow this  
jjg

Mobile Quarterbacks

While "mobile" QBs may put up great fantasy numbers, I don't think they help a team very much. Look at Vick, supposedly the most mobile QB in the game and how many sacks he takes (7 last game vs the Saints).

Also, while RG3 looks like a more accurate Vick, the kid is also taking on too many hit/sacks and his team is losing. I'd much rather have a "quick" QB like Rodgers or Luck who can scramble for yards on a 3rd down when needed and occasionally sneak in a ground TD -- their game is not dependent on mobility.

A mobile QB is EXACTLY what you want... However, don't confuse a "running" QB, with a "mobile" QB...

Someone who can extend the play and make things happen outside the pocket is a good thing. Someone whos first instinct is to run, is not!

I think people forget how athletic a lot of these guys are. For instance, Luck isn't a guy who most think of when they think of "mobile" QBs, but the guy performed nearly as well as Newton at the combine in terms of athleticism (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1079660-comparing-andrew-lucks-combine-performance-to-cam-newtons-and-other-top-qbs). If you look at the chart at the bottom, Rodgers, Brees, and Alex Smith aren't far behind either. Just because these guys prefer to stay in the pocket, doesn't mean they aren't capable of moving around and often will to extend plays if necessary.

he we go again, watch how man people call you prejudice.

Yup this is a touchy subject and you will be labeled racist.

Okay, put the card back in the deck please. This is a serious discussion here. Lets just leave out names from here on out so we don't upset the PC police. Teams simply work better and are more consistent with a pocket passer style QB. An athletic mobile QB on a team is sorta like having a ball hog on a basket ball team. He may be the most talented guy on the court, but it devalues his teammates talent, takes away their touches, and increases inconsistency.

So, Steve Young, Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers are "mobile" while Randall Cunningham, Michael Vick and Cam Newton are "running"?

:racist:

So, Steve Young, Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers are "mobile" while Randall Cunningham, Michael Vick and Cam Newton are "running"?

Steve Young, Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers have SB rings. Cunningham, Vick, Newton do not. I guess i'm a racist

Steve Young, Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers have SB rings. Cunningham, Vick, Newton do not. I guess i'm a racist

It was a baited question. You answered fine.

For a racist.

There's a guy ... I been talking about for years. He's a traditional check down pocket passer. He makes good decisions and he has great natural mechanics. Maybe homerism, since he played for my alma mater, but I have watched these QBs come out of Arizona all my life. I can't even remember the Hawaiian guy now ... Tammatui or something like that? SI ranked Arizona, back in the day, #1 because of our defense led by Teddy Bruschi. That's when I went there.

There's never been someone like Foles, who flat out won the job from the starter (Scott, now starting as a 5th year senior, new coach). I swear from the very first throw I saw him make, mighta even been incomplete, but I saw the poise in the pocket and the mechanics ... and I said, "That kid, is gonna go to the NFL". He may not be great in college, but my prediction is that Foles is the best QB to ever come out of all the colleges in Arizona, ever. Will surpass Jake Plummer eventually.

I may be wrong but ... that's my prediction. I hope it's not for the Eagles, because I hate the Eagles. Friggin idiots in Phoenix didn't draft him. The Cardinals are a mess.

He's from a pro style offense in college, could have left early but didn't. He's smart, he's dedicated ... he loves the game. He's all that intangible stuff Tom Brady had ... but taller and not as clumsy.

Honestly, I'd love to see the Giants land him. Backup Eli. He's taller, and he can make the throws required in that offense. Could be a backup, and future project starter for the Giants.

The difference is that Young, Brees and Rodgers can actually throw the ball! The others are marginal at best!

Watch Brady. He knows how to step up in a pocket and elude the rush. He is mobile.

I'd say that's pocket presence. Brady is certainly good at it - although he's looked like a dear in headlights at times this season. Peyton Manning is probably the best in the league at it, but that's not really tied to "athleticism" or being a "mobile" QB.

This discussion is about guys who can run fast, move laterally, tuck the ball and run out of the pocket.

I'd say that's pocket presence. Brady is certainly good at it - although he's looked like a dear in headlights at times this season. Peyton Manning is probably the best in the league at it, but that's not really tied to "athleticism" or being a "mobile" QB.

This discussion is about guys who can run fast, move laterally, tuck the ball and run out of the pocket.

Cunningham, and we're seeing with Vick and I would venture to guess Cam Newton also have god awful O-Lines. As we all know, O-linemen are racist, so.....

Yup this is a touchy subject and you will be labeled racist.

If you are racist you will be labeled as such. Trying to bully people to get around that doesn't work very well on the internet, especially on a site like this that is based so much on statistics and number crunching. That idiot you quoted is really clear on that if you read his other posts.

It's similar to people like Bill Akin, who really truly believe that they are just victims of PC bullies and that the things they say are actually just factual and correct. You're going to get called on it, people are going to make you look stupid, but you'll just continue believing it's some mass conspiracy. Now the GOP party is a joke and probably lost the presidential election in no small part to the Akins and Coulters and Trumps and Sally Kerns of the world, because they refused to condemn those people and they became associated with the party.

I have no interest in allowing this forum to be some sort of KKK convention or stormfront gathering. So when I see it, I'll call it out, and I suggest most rational people do the same. Make this site what it's supposed to be about, discussion of fantasy football and real football especially in this subforum. We don't need a bunchy of beta white males working at McDonalds dragging the rest of us down with them. Make them feel unwanted and maybe eventually they will go away.

Nobody has yet explained why Steve Young, John Elway and Aaron Rodgers aren't "running" QBs. They can and did run. Similarly why is Jake Plummer never mentioned as a running QB or a number of other melatonin deprived QBs that have run better than they probably have ever passed. These threads are always broken down completely on racial lines, and it's not a coincidence. The people that make these threads steadfastly refuse to state out criteria for the categorizations, and whenever they do state criteria, when other posters list QBs that don't fit the racial makeup they want, they always throw a fit and keep trying to change the criteria. It's transparent and stupid, how can anyone justify defending that crap?

Randall Cunningham is not very good.

16 years, just about 30K passing yards, 200 TDs and 3500 rushing yards. Played from 85 till 2001. There were flashes of greatness during his time in Philly. Not great perhaps, but certainly better than 'not very good'.

If you are racist you will be labeled as such. Trying to bully people to get around that doesn't work very well on the internet, especially on a site like this that is based so much on statistics and number crunching. That idiot you quoted is really clear on that if you read his other posts.

It's similar to people like Bill Akin, who really truly believe that they are just victims of PC bullies and that the things they say are actually just factual and correct. You're going to get called on it, people are going to make you look stupid, but you'll just continue believing it's some mass conspiracy. Now the GOP party is a joke and probably lost the presidential election in no small part to the Akins and Coulters and Trumps and Sally Kerns of the world, because they refused to condemn those people and they became associated with the party.

I have no interest in allowing this forum to be some sort of KKK convention or stormfront gathering. So when I see it, I'll call it out, and I suggest most rational people do the same. Make this site what it's supposed to be about, discussion of fantasy football and real football especially in this subforum. We don't need a bunchy of beta white males working at McDonalds dragging the rest of us down with them. Make them feel unwanted and maybe eventually they will go away.

Nobody has yet explained why Steve Young, John Elway and Aaron Rodgers aren't "running" QBs. They can and did run. Similarly why is Jake Plummer never mentioned as a running QB or a number of other melatonin deprived QBs that have run better than they probably have ever passed. These threads are always broken down completely on racial lines, and it's not a coincidence. The people that make these threads steadfastly refuse to state out criteria for the categorizations, and whenever they do state criteria, when other posters list QBs that don't fit the racial makeup they want, they always throw a fit and keep trying to change the criteria. It's transparent and stupid, how can anyone justify defending that crap?

Steve Young probably deserves the "running" QB label. But Elway and Rodgers are/were 2 of the great "passers" in the NFL. They don't win games because of their out-of-the-pocket mobility. They win games with their arm. Recent guys like Vick and Newton rely much, much, much more on their scramble ability to effect games.

To me, a "running" QB is a QB that is forced to rely on their athletic ability more-so than other QB's because they aren't as proficient throwing the football as tradition QB's (Think Vick, Newton). A "mobile" QB can be a bit of both. Rodgers may have the best arm in the league, but he also has quick feet, and above-average athletic ability, which allows him to extend plays, and pick up an occasional first-down with his legs when a play breaks down.

Rodgers, Brees, and Brady are all mobile.

Brady, heh. Have you seen him run? I'm pretty sure I could beat him in a foot race - and surely would look better doing it.