Sign in to follow this  
jkil22

Help: 1 Wild card spot, 3 teams with the same record

So I have a 12 team league, broken down to 2 conferences with 2 divisions in each. 6 teams make the playoff. The 4 teams that win their respected divisions and then a wild card from each conference. Here lies the problem, In conference A we may have 3 teams with the same record at the end of the regular season (next week), the tie breaker is head to head record which stands as followss: Team 1 beat Team 2, Team 2 beat Team 3, Team 3 Beat team 1. Does it fall back to who has the most points? That would be the next tie breaker, is that where we would be at? Sorry for the confusion.

We play H2H with no divisions and every once in a while we end up with a similar situation...but at that point, we go points forward.

We play H2H with no divisions and every once in a while we end up with a similar situation...but at that point, we go points forward.

yep. if the first tiebreaker is not conclusive, then on to the next tiebreaker. points is the most logical.

Yes it goes to the second tiebreaker (whatever your league stipulates that is); which normally would be season points.

Depends on league settings but Yahoo defaults to division winning percentage in leagues with divisions if I'm not mistaken.

We used to deal with those kind of tiebreakers, but then realized two things ... (1) we are determining a single game when one team could of been decimated by the bye week, didn't seem fair to penalize them for this, and (2) total points is THE most logical since it proves who had the "best overall team" during the season. AND it's super cleaner, calculatable and easier to justify.

Every league is different but what about division record? We go division record than points.

This is same way we did it when we had divisions.

Points should always be the first tiebreaker. Also, wild cards should come from any division, not one from each. Think like the real nfl or any sport really, wild cards can all be from the same div if those teams ha the best records. What u get otherwise is a team with a losing record making the playoffs over a team with a winning record. Now before u say "yea just like Tennessee a few years ago made it at 8-8 over Baltimore who was 10-6" or some other nfl scenario, that only happens with a division winner. Wild cards should be wild.

If I understand the league configuration right, you have 2 conferences, and 4 total divisions (2 in each conference). Your league rules stipulate the 4 division winners automatically go. then, 2 wild cards (1 from each conference) also go on.

As most have said, the head-to-head tiebreaker is inconclusive. If not prescribed, you basically have two options:

1. Conference record

2. Total Points

Total points is the easiest. Conference record may be indeterminate. There are about a million different twists you could use (H2H pts for-pts against in combined H2H matchups, etc.), but I would think it would be one of the two above. Regardless, this will become your de facto rule going forward, so choose wisely, and communicate clearly to all.

have you thought about a death match? 3 men enter, one leaves?

it could work...

Easy one. Go with total points.

Why wasn't this issue addressed in your rules? A week before the playoffs begin isn't the best time to be doing this. Because somebody isn't going to be happy no matter what you do, you're now going to have to do a ton of tap dancing to sell your solution to your league. This bored, and the opinions offered, is probably your best sales tool. Nobody here has any skin in your game.

Because your two wild cards come from different conferences, conference record loses a lot of relevance. If head-to-head works, this should probably come first. You might then want to turn to head-to-head points if they are 1-1. If this somehow still gives you a tie, season points should break it.

We do total TDs that week to break ties as we would on that last week if we had tie and H2H is next. Points isn't fair unless told in advance IMO. I keep a guy like CJ a league where total points is a high pay out - just for his 2/3 big games (obviously hoping for more) but in a H2H yearly league - I dumped his arse weeks ago .

So go with total TD the last week if season - if that tie, then take highest bench player, or something for crying out loud. Now I'm piss Ed that this wasn't documented before now. You and your commish are morons and just wasted 4 minutes of my life.. Grrrr

I found best way!!!

Let the 3 teams play in the WC game and highest of three advance.

Done & your welcome

You think that is tough check our standings out...3 playoff spots available and 6 teams with 6-6 record fighting for them. Two play each other...total points may come into affect here too!

The guy's S.O. can size (biggest to smallest) wins.

C'Mon guys, this was too easy.