Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

Happy MLK Day!

For Easter ladies wear pretty dresses, for Independence Day Americans don the flag, For Halloween kids dress up in costume, and for Xmas many wear Santa hats - what are we supposed to do or wear for this? :unsure:

What do Americans do for this holiday? Is this like a national day of service or something? I don't quite get it.

Neither do we.

What do Americans do for this holiday? Is this like a national day of service or something? I don't quite get it.

It's a day to do 'whatever the hell you want to do that's black related" day.

Hockey is over so I am watching knocks vs nets eating Chinese food. Black enough ?

Hockey is over so I am watching knocks vs nets eating Chinese food. Black enough ?

Only if it's habachi and you don't know who the player on your hockey jersey is.

Folks in your town have taken your advice. :lol:

Neighbors say quintuple shooting on MLK Blvd. is 'embarrassing'

NEW ORLEANS -- Five teenagers were shot in the Central City neighborhood of New Orleans shortly after Monday's Martin Luther King Day parade moved passed the area.

Police spent the afternoon collecting evidence and shell casings outside a grocery at Martin Luther King and LaSalle.

Investigators say shortly after 1 p.m., a late model, white, two-door sedan drove past the store, and a gunman opened fire on a group teenagers standing on the corner in front of the store.

"So far we know of five injuries," said NOPD Superintendent Ronal Serpas. "We do not expect that any of those injuries are fatal at this time."

The shooting is more than a little unsettling for neighbors who witnessed the crime. Many of them were still outside enjoying the day after watching the parade which passed by within a half hour of the shooting.

"I just heard the gunshots, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom," said Tanile Legendre. "I ran outside and a saw all the kids just scattering. It must have been just 15 minutes after the parade."

"It's not the first time," said Ashley Stewart. "It's always something like that going on. It makes us scared and keep your children locked up inside. Can't even just hang out and talk to your friends, you know, and sit down and have fun without something like that going on around here."

The significance of this shooting on Martin Luther King Day on Martin Luther King Boulevard is not lost on people who live in this Central City neighborhood.

"I just think that's so sad for them to be doing that, shooting and killing on Martin Luther King Day," said Legendre. "It's embarrassing to the community."

"Can't even just hang out and talk to your friends, you know, and sit down and have fun without something like that going on around here," said Stewart.

Serpas said a surveillance camera at the store caught the shooting on video.

"Interesting, we saw the video and was watching the video and a police car passed in front of the store about a minute or less before the white vehicle came behind it and fired on these young men."

http://www.wwltv.com/news/crime/NOPD-4-shot-on-MLK-and-LaSalle-in-Central-City-187769051.html

Every year, I lament the fact that Washington, Lincoln (who did way way more than MLK) have to share Presidents Day while MLK gets his own day. A serious travesty and a testament to how far this country has gone to be governed by the minority.

Every year, I lament the fact that Washington, Lincoln (who did way way more than MLK) have to share Presidents Day while MLK gets his own day. A serious travesty and a testament to how far this country has gone to be governed by the minority.

I kind of agree, but you also have to say the same about Columbus day. He stumbled upon the Americas, thinking it was India, and caused a irreversibly destructive invasion over the whole continent. Plus his real name is Cristóbal Colón, but it was switched to Columbus because it was more American.

We should have a forefathers day, and maybe a Lincoln day. Other than that, no other individual people should have their own day. The MLK day thing is basically white America's present to the black community. Totally makes up for racism and slavery and what not.

NH refuses to call it Martin Luther King Jr. Day. We call it Civil Rights day to encompass Lincoln and all the people who fought for civil rights. :dunno:

NH refuses to call it Martin Luther King Jr. Day. We call it Civil Rights day to encompass Lincoln and all the people who fought for civil rights. :dunno:

Racist :mad:

What do you do in your laundry that requires it to be shoveled? :shocking:

I had some much laundry it needed to be shoveled? :dunno: