Sign in to follow this  
Frank   M

X-Games Snowmobiler dies

Apparently he was helped off the course with what was thought to be a concussion, but then had bleeding around the heart and had to have surgery and died a few days later. His brother also crashed his snowmobile and had to spend a few days in the hospital with a separated pelvis.

Do we really need these types of sports? Seems like major disaster waiting to happen at all times.

link to story

Snowmobiler Caleb Moore died Thursday, a week after a crash that has raised new safety concerns about the X Games. He was 25 years old. "He will be truly missed and never forgotten," his family said in a statement.

"The family wishes to express their deep gratitude for all the prayers and support they have received from all the fans, friends and family around the world that Caleb has inspired. ... Arrangements for a celebration of life are being made and an announcement will be made in the coming days."

Moore, a freestyle snowmobiler, was attempting a backflip at the Winter X Games in Aspen, Colorado, when he couldn't rotate his machine enough to land properly. The skis dug into the lip of the slope, bringing the 450-pound snowmobile crashing down on him. The vehicle slammed into Moore's head and chest.

"We are deeply saddened by Caleb Moore's passing and our thoughts and prayers go out to his parents, Wade and Michelle, his brother, Colten, and the entire Moore family," ESPN, which organizes and televises the X Games, said in a statement. "He will be remembered for his natural passion for life and his deep love for his family and friends, and he will always be an inspiration to everyone he touched in the action sports community.

"As a result of this accident we will conduct a thorough review of this discipline and adopt any appropriate changes to future X Games."

The statement added that the X Games have long worked on safety issues and that nevertheless, "when the world's best compete at the highest level in any sport, risks remain. Caleb was a four-time X Games medalist attempting a move he has landed several times previously."

Colten Moore, 23, was also involved in an accident during Thursday's event. He was released from the hospital Saturday, according to his Facebook fan page.

Caleb Moore's Facebook page is carrying messages from fans. "R.I.P. Caleb," wrote Candi Clark-Hibbs, adding, "prayers to your family."

Crash is about 1:10 in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K67LBZCMnaI

Here's Colten's crash, about 50 seconds in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCByxNy_vPw

Apparently he was helped off the course with what was thought to be a concussion, but then had bleeding around the heart and had to have surgery and died a few days later. His brother also crashed his snowmobile and had to spend a few days in the hospital with a separated pelvis.

Do we really need these types of sports? Seems like major disaster waiting to happen at all times.

Do we really "need" any types of sports? Everything they do is voluntary and they aren't endangering anyone else unreasonably. If they want to risk their lives, they have that right.

Frank M is on top of this story just like he is everything else.

Wait, are you talking about the other thread about the totally different crash that all the "on top of it" guys on this board attributed to this guy?

I'm at least ten steps ahead of all of you.

In every thread.

Do we really "need" any types of sports? Everything they do is voluntary and they aren't endangering anyone else unreasonably. If they want to risk their lives, they have that right.

Other than the kid that was injured when the snowmobile went off course.

But you're right, we don't need any sport. I just wonder where we cross the line from "Man, what he does is amazing" to "I want to see him get focked up."

Even Nascar groupies don't admit that the crashes are part of why they watch, but we know they are.

Wait, are you talking about the other thread about the totally different crash that all the "on top of it" guys on this board attributed to this guy?

I'm at least ten steps ahead of all of you.

In every thread.

Musta been a different Caleb Moore XGames snowmobile crash Naomie brought up in the other thread.

Dude had a rough week.

Oh, and I posted his death almost 2hours before you.

Yep, waaaaaay ahead of everyone. :overhead:

But you're right, we don't need any sport. I just wonder where we cross the line from "Man, what he does is amazing" to "I want to see him get focked up."

Even Nascar groupies don't admit that the crashes are part of why they watch, but we know they are.

I didn't watch Evil Knievel jump sh!t to watch him land it. I wanted to see him break every bone in his body.

But MMA isn't even sanctioned in New York because of ridiculous politicians getting paid off by even more ridiculous Culinary Union.

But because this doesn't involve a punch in the face...only a 800lb machine possible falling on you from 25 feet in the air, so its perfectly fine.

Any breaking news on Ron Jeremy or Gomer Pyle?

Ron Jeremy would have broken Gomer Pyle.

Musta been a different Caleb Moore XGames snowmobile crash Naomie brought up in the other thread.

Dude had a rough week.

Oh, and I posted his death almost 2hours before you.

Yep, waaaaaay ahead of everyone. :overhead:

I brought a link to the crash.

Frank M>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>RP

:headbanger:

And the runaway snowmobiler guy didn't die, so you brought nothing!!!!

:headbanger: :headbanger:

This Recliner Pilot person sure seems to derail any potential conversation that could happen on this forum. It's quite fascinating. There will be a new thread I open, see the first two or three posts and think, "Oh this may be interesting." And then Recliner Pilot comes in calling people names and posting "winning"-type emoticons and any potential for a discussion is over. But I guess that's what you guys enjoy here. :dunno:

This Recliner Pilot person sure seems to derail any potential conversation that could happen on this forum. It's quite fascinating. There will be a new thread I open, see the first two or three posts and think, "Oh this may be interesting." And then Recliner Pilot comes in calling people names and posting "winning"-type emoticons and any potential for a discussion is over. But I guess that's what you guys enjoy here. :dunno:

I told you before, any thread devolves into a my d1ck is bigger than yours slapfight as soon as RP enters.

You'll get used to it.

Great job linking to a video everyone not named Prince Charles has watched numerous times the past few days.

Quite the scoop, Frank.

And the discussion in the other thread was about Caleb Moore.........the guy who died over tgere a few hours before he died over here.

Another Frank M scoop.

Frank tends to lash out whenever one if his many moon landings is pointed out.

You will get used to it.

Great job linking to a video everyone not named Prince Charles has watched numerous times the past few days.

Quite the scoop, Frank.

And the discussion in the other thread was about Caleb Moore.........the guy who died over tgere a few hours before he died over here.

Another Frank M scoop.

Where was it linked to here where everybody saw it? That's right, nowhere. There was a link to a video from a guy named Jackson Strong who wiped out and his snowmobile went into the crowd. The discussion was about snowmobiles in the X Games in general, the only person who mentioned Caleb Moore was naomi.

You, sir, are wrong.

Frank tends to lash out whenever one if his many moon landings is pointed out.

You will get used to it.

As you do the numerous times you are shown to be talking out of your ass.

Where was it linked to here where everybody saw it? That's right, nowhere. There was a link to a video from a guy named Jackson Strong who wiped out and his snowmobile went into the crowd. The discussion was about snowmobiles in the X Games in general, the only person who mentioned Caleb Moore was naomi.

You, sir, are wrong.

Where did I say people watched it here? It has been on most the major websites, and all over a little TV channel they call ESPN.

Yep, I already said Naomie is who brought him up. He is also the only one who died. Other dude is fine.

When you do stupid, extremely dangerous ######, you should expect to die quickly. Now lets get this idiot in a box and plant him. There are more stupid people ready to take his spot and die.

You could say the same thing about spectators who get hit by baseballs (or the occasional bat). :dunno:

But MMA isn't even sanctioned in New York because of ridiculous politicians getting paid off by even more ridiculous Culinary Union.

But because this doesn't involve a punch in the face...only a 800lb machine possible falling on you from 25 feet in the air, so its perfectly fine.

That's a valid point. The problem with MMA is it looks scary, just like some guns look scary, so some people think it must be bad. I don't think it is a coincidence that NY is askeered of MMA, like they are of guns. Anyway, MMA fighters and refs are highly trained (at least at top levels, but at lower levels they will stop fights sooner).

These snowmobilers... I don't think they are very highly trained. What would it take to compete in that event, owning a snowmobile? :dunno:

Oh well, people die. If the government had it's way, we'd all live in a plastic bubble.

You could say the same thing about spectators who get hit by baseballs (or the occasional bat). :dunno:

On this note, I hope the Angels are running PSAs this spring about looking out for flying lumber when Josh Hamilton bats.