Sign in to follow this  
titans&bucs&bearsohmy!

Yo cbfalcon

So, as we discussed in a thread a while back, I have listened to OK Computer and In Rainbows repeatedly. At first, I liked OKC better, but at this point, In Rainbows is kicking down the door of my "Top 10 Desert Island Albums" list.

So at this point, I've adequately absorbed those to move on.

I am listening to Amnesiac as I pretent to teach a class as we speak. Pretty good. Not as good as OKC or IR, but good. Totally different sound too. I like the touches of electronic and jazz influence in this album. Parts of it also have a trippy, psychadelic feel. One of my students said we need mushrooms to listen to it properly.

So I have about 9 hours of road trip and three nights alone in a hotel this coming week, and I am going to give the others a quality listen. Which ones first? I have Pablo Honey, Kid A, Hail to the Thief and the Bends left to go. I remember not really liking the Bends when it came out, but this would hardly be the first time I came to really like something I didn't like at first, particulally when 15 years have passed. (God damn im getting old... I was 18 when I bought that album. :shocking: :( )

Anyway, let the Radiohead fan club know they owe you a toaster for gaining a convert. :thumbsup:

I prefer OKC, but In Rainbows has some good tunes, and one of the best clean guitar tones I've ever heard.

Also like Amnesiac, but realize I'm in a minority there.

Skip Pablo Honey. It's not even a part of their catalog anymore. It's just ordinary alt rock. I don't think they have played anything off of it live in a decade. That includes Creep.

I think The Bends is a perfect "rock" album. If you liked OKC, you should like it. Every track is amazing. It's timeless....And HTTT is an amazing album of individual songs, but lacks the cohesion. I've often said if I was making a 20 song best of album, HTTT would have more songs than any, yet it ranks low on the album scale. That said, it's very solid.

Kid A and Amnesiac are were it gets complicated. They were released a few months apart with Amnesiac almost being a leftovers type thing. But I actually may prefer it. These 2 albums are cool, but some of it is just too far out there for me to pay any attention to. Maybe you'll hate the idea, but would you be opposed to me giving you a list of 10 songs off those 2 to make into their own playlist, and skip the rest? I know the purist may hate the idea.

For the record, I love Sky Blue Sky. It's in my rotation and is played often. And it did enough to guarantee I buy their next album. Admittedly I haven't had time to listen to YHFT.

Personally, the Kid A/Amnesiac mix is my favorite thing ever. It gets me really excited thinking about it. I just hate the fat on there. They went a little too far in trying to make that artistic statement for me. That said, it obviously worked out for them critically and career wise.

I'll take overrated bands for $1000.00 Alex

They may not be ZZ Top quality, but they pen some cool tunes. Promise. :thumbsup:

I'll take overrated bands for $1000.00 Alex

If you dont have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!

Also, you have some of the worst taste in music of anyone I'd consider a "friend".

Also also, kid-a is ace. Has two tracks from my top 5. National Anthem and How to Dissapear Completely. Admittedly I really like electronic music, and kid-a is definitely the most electro/experimental, sans King of Limbs.

1) OKC

2) Kid-A

3) Hail

4) Bends

4) In Rainbows

6) Amnesiac

7) King of Limbs

8) Pablo Honey

BTW... Live at te Astoria is a great love album. Grab it, if you can find it.

If you dont have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!

Also, you have some of the worst taste in music of anyone I'd consider a "friend".

Also also, kid-a is ace. Has two tracks from my top 5. National Anthem and How to Dissapear Completely. Admittedly I really like electronic music, and kid-a is definitely the most electro/experimental, sans King of Limbs.

1) OKC

2) Kid-A

3) Hail

4) Bends

4) In Rainbows

6) Amnesiac

7) King of Limbs

8) Pablo Honey

BTW... Live at te Astoria is a great love album. Grab it, if you can find it.

There is no band ever formed that is more boring that Radiohead. For some reason, there are also few bands ever formed that have sold more records than Radiohead. I remember being in college when one of my friends told me I had to check out the greatest record he ever heard, some Radiohead album. I got halfway through the second track before running from the room yelling for someone to give me something sharp so I could stick it in my ears and end the misery. Beyond that, it’s pretentious as all hell. I think that’s why people listen to it: for the same reason they bought Steven Hawking’s A Brief History of Time. They put it on their shelves, maybe crack it open once or twice, and then feel good about themselves.

(not my werds, but true)

I like amnesiac... you are right though cb, there is definitely some fat on there. I like weird, artsy, experimental better than most, but a couple of songs on there are just... irritating.

But I'll give then credit even for that...you gotta take risks to make great music, and you don't win em all.

And sux... I'd say if anything, they are underrated. The one word I'd use to describe Thierry music is LUSH. That is music you can just close your eyes and get lost in the nuance, and I don't even smoke Weed anymore.

Look ing forward to listing to the rest.Will bump this thread next week after my trip.

And sux... I'd say if anything, they are underrated. The one word I'd use to describe Thierry music is LUSH. That is music you can just close your eyes and get lost in the nuance, and I don't even smoke Weed anymore.

To each their own. I'm just busting balls :cheers:

There is no band ever formed that is more boring that Radiohead. For some reason, there are also few bands ever formed that have sold more records than Radiohead. I remember being in college when one of my friends told me I had to check out the greatest record he ever heard, some Radiohead album. I got halfway through the second track before running from the room yelling for someone to give me something sharp so I could stick it in my ears and end the misery. Beyond that, it’s pretentious as all hell. I think that’s why people listen to it: for the same reason they bought Steven Hawking’s A Brief History of Time. They put it on their shelves, maybe crack it open once or twice, and then feel good about themselves.

(not my werds, but true)

You didn't need to include this......we all know you have never heard of Steven Hawking. :banana:

You didn't need to include this......we all know you have never heard of Steven Hawking. :banana:

Me be dumb white trash :banana:

Pablo Honey sucks. All the rest are very good.

I loved OKC and KID A but hated Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief on first listens. I kinda gave up on Radiohead until Rainbows was released. Going back, I think Amnesiac is one of their better albums. And that's the thing with Radiohead for me, I can hear different things in their songs with the passage of time. A lot of their stuff is really layered and you pick up on different aspects at different points in time.

(not my werds, but true)

I find that most people's problem with Radiohead is that the music doesn't lend itself to pounding Coors Light and hotboxing Marlboros with yer buddies who never left town after high school. Also, A Brief History of Time is a great book. Very accessible for a physics book. :thumbsup:

I have been spinning Kid A and Amnesiac a ton lately. They are probably my next two favorites after OK. The Bends is solid and of course Fake Plastic Trees and High and Dry are epic. If you like Radiohead check out the Radiodread record. I live the No Suprises off of it especially. :mad:

Katy Perry fans :thumbsdown: