Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Gluten

Good golly, it's the new super-villian, isn't it? Man, everything from Artism to Diabetes to Chron's to PMS to Ball-Cancer.

I had a gluten-free thanksgiving this year. one of my relatives is apparently a Glutard or whatever the term is these days. Tasted fine to me, but the Mom would just not STFUP about shiit like Quinoa and other stuff I'm pretty sure were just made up words for foods I'd never heard of.

Pretty sure "Gluten free" and "Atkins" are mostly the same thing.

Anyhoo... Apparently it's all the rage to be a gluten-bigot now.

I suspect there's something to reducing gluten intake. I did it on the advice of my doctor because I was having some gastrointestinal type issues. Cleared things right up.

But you don't have to turn into a 100% no gluten freak. Just cut back. Eat less bread and pasta, drink less beer ( :cry: )

Its hard to keep up with it all to be honest with you. You can't eat carbs, gluten, saturated fats, sugar, HFCS, non organic foods, etc. Eggs supposedely were harmful because of all the cholestoral, but recently they say its actually good cholesterol so now its good to eat eggs. Don't eat processed white bread, but even whole weat has gluten. And forget about any drink besides water. Soda, milk, OJ are all bad for you. Its either to much sugar to much fat to much whatever. Drink red wine, but just one glass!@#!. Who fock wants just one glass of booze? I quit.

Chew on a focking organic celery stick and guzzle some water or else you're gonna die in 10 years.

I give up.

Primal Blueprint

The wife and I did paleo for a while. Not bad. We're not strictly observing it anymore but many of the core principles are solid. :thumbsup:

We're actually sort of doing a paleo/mediterranean mix now. Not all the red meat called for in paleo but none of the pasta in the mediterranean diet. Lots of chicken, fish and vegetables.

Its hard to keep up with it all to be honest with you. You can't eat carbs, gluten, saturated fats, sugar, HFCS, non organic foods, etc. Eggs supposedely were harmful because of all the cholestoral, but recently they say its actually good cholesterol so now its good to eat eggs. Don't eat processed white bread, but even whole weat has gluten. And forget about any drink besides water. Soda, milk, OJ are all bad for you. Its either to much sugar to much fat to much whatever. Drink red wine, but just one glass!@#!. Who fock wants just one glass of booze? I quit.

Chew on a focking organic celery stick and guzzle some water or else you're gonna die in 10 years.

I give up.

This.

I'm pretty sure moderation is still the key.

The same time the out of work psychology majors made up fibromyalgia, depression and the other fantasy ailments? :dunno:

I give up.

Oh, BTW - the cities apparently add aluminum to their water - which leads to a massive increase in alzheimers and whatnot. :dunno:

Cocoa (and Fruity) Pebble are now only Gluten-Free and they don't taste good anymore. :(

The wife and I did paleo for a while. Not bad. We're not strictly observing it anymore but many of the core principles are solid. :thumbsup:

We're actually sort of doing a paleo/mediterranean mix now. Not all the red meat called for in paleo but none of the pasta in the mediterranean diet. Lots of chicken, fish and vegetables.

Yeah Paleo and Primal are pretty much how the wife and I eat. It's not hard.. and we feel better for it.

Cocoa (and Fruity) Pebble are now only Gluten-Free and they don't taste good anymore. :(

Pretty sure they've always been made with rice which is gluten free.

The only thing I know about gluten is it killed a bunch of cats a while ago. Unless that was just bad Chinese gluten. No clue really. Also I keep hearing a bunch of people talking about being allergic to it. I'm not sure if gluten is new, or if it's always been in food, so these recent allergies are suspect to me.

Same guy that invented trans fats created gluten. You never hear about it until it's suddenly the bestest thing evah that they've taken it out of your food.

The only thing I know about gluten is it killed a bunch of cats a while ago.

:shocking:

:(

:cry:

Pretty sure they've always been made with rice which is gluten free.

They advertise it like they did something really special. They also cut a bunch of sugar out of them too.

They advertise it like they did something really special. They also cut a bunch of sugar out of them too.

They just slap that sh!t on there when something becomes trendy.

Like how a bunch of drinks started proclaiming that they were "caffeine free!" 10-15 years ago. Well no sh!t focking lemonade is caffeine free. :rolleyes:

I suspect there's something to reducing gluten intake. I did it on the advice of my doctor because I was having some gastrointestinal type issues. Cleared things right up.

But you don't have to turn into a 100% no gluten freak. Just cut back. Eat less bread and pasta, drink less beer ( :cry: )

You sir, just crossed the line sir :nono:

I give up.

The reason for this is nutrition research is a joke - it's almost impossible to isolate one nutrient type as a cause of health/disease. You can't perform experiments where X is the only thing a population eats or doesn't eat. That being said, gluten's association with celiac disease has been known for a long time and it is plausible that there is a spectrum to gluten tolerance/intolerance. Businesses just want to capitalize on what may or may not just be a fad, however.

As others have said, moderation in most things while exercising to keep a healthy weight is probably the best dietary advice.

The reason for this is nutrition research is a joke - it's almost impossible to isolate one nutrient type as a cause of health/disease. You can't perform experiments where X is the only thing a population eats or doesn't eat. That being said, gluten's association with celiac disease has been known for a long time and it is plausible that there is a spectrum to gluten tolerance/intolerance. Businesses just want to capitalize on what may or may not just be a fad, however.

As others have said, moderation in most things while exercising to keep a healthy weight is probably the best dietary advice.

Yes, as you said almost impossible. It was however, possible in China. It is called the China Study, and was done over a long period of time all over China. The predominant food was what ever was grown locally. The study is made more meaningful because it rules out a lot of genetics since everyone was Chinese. A good overview of this information is available on the Forks Over Knives DVD. Basically, they were able to look at what people ate and determine the heath issues related to that diet in a very pure state.

Yes, as you said almost impossible. It was however, possible in China. It is called the China Study, and was done over a long period of time all over China. The predominant food was what ever was grown locally. The study is made more meaningful because it rules out a lot of genetics since everyone was Chinese. A good overview of this information is available on the Forks Over Knives DVD. Basically, they were able to look at what people ate and determine the heath issues related to that diet in a very pure state.

I've watched it - that video is promoting veganism, not gluten avoidance. I think it makes some excellent points but the science is far from perfect.

BTW, you can watch that for free on Hulu. Interesting stuff.

This.

I'm pretty sure moderation is still the key.

Nothing to excess, everything in moderation.