Sign in to follow this  
penultimatestraw

Hunter Geeks

I know there are online hunter education classes, but almost all require an in-person "field day" before issuing the actual license. As far as I can tell there are two exceptions to this requirement, in Indiana and New Jersey. Only Indiana residents qualify for online licensure, however. I'm not sure about NJ.

I have never had a license before and live in Hawaii, where no online education or licensing exists. Unfortunately, there is a several month backlog for the in-person classes. That being said, they waive the requirement if one possesses another state's license.

My questions: Can a hunting license be obtained entirely online by an out-of-state individual/non-resident? If so, where and how?

FWIW I plan on hunting using a bow exclusively.

Just go to the state's DNR website. You certainly can purchase hunting licenses online, specially for out of staters. Nobody is going to fly to

Colorado for example, just to pick up their hunting license in person for a hunt next fall. Every state is different, but they have all pretty much

moved to online license purchase/online kill check-in.

I know there are online hunter education classes, but almost all require an in-person "field day" before issuing the actual license. As far as I can tell there are two exceptions to this requirement, in Indiana and New Jersey. Only Indiana residents qualify for online licensure, however. I'm not sure about NJ.

I have never had a license before and live in Hawaii, where no online education or licensing exists. Unfortunately, there is a several month backlog for the in-person classes. That being said, they waive the requirement if one possesses another state's license.

My questions: Can a hunting license be obtained entirely online by an out-of-state individual/non-resident? If so, where and how?

FWIW I plan on hunting using a bow exclusively.

Violin? Cello?

Where would you like to hunt?

What are you planning on hunting?

You might not need a hunters education class.

Depending on the state you might be old enough to be grandfathered in. In addition, not all states require a hunters education class for bow hunting. I know you would be alright in Wyoming.

Under the provisions of Section 23-2-106 of Wyoming statues(a) Except as provided in subsection © of this section, no person born on or after January 1, 1966, may take any wildlife by the use of firearms on land other than that of his own family, unless the person possesses or can demonstrate they have obtained a certificate of competency and safety in the use and handling of firearms as provided by subsection (B) of this section.

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/HunterEdRegistration/

Depending on the state you might be old enough to be grandfathered in. In addition, not all states require a hunters education class for bow hunting. I know you would be alright in Wyoming.

:thumbsup:

You don't need hunter's education to hunt in Montana if you were born before 1985, unless you are bow hunting.

I am guessing you will be hunting hogs. :thumbsup:

I took my hunter's safety class in California. It was an in-person class on weekends. Some people didn't take the test seriously and thought if they gave up a few weekends to come to class that they would get a hunting license. You should have seen their faces when they flunked out and couldn't go hunting.

You're probably the last person I'd've expected to start this thread. :shocking:

You sir, are an everlasting source of wonderment. :thumbsup:

I'm hunting in Hawaii. Not sure what I'll be hunting yet, though I plan to use a bow. Hawaii doesn't have online licensure and requires 3 classes to be eligible. The problem is all these classes are filled for months.

I'm trying to circumvent this delay by getting licensed online in another state. If I can do this without a field test, HI will grant an exception to their licensure requirements. Then, voila!, I am licensed in HI without the wait/classes.

I think GH is incorrect that non-residents can easily get out-of-state licenses online. This may be true for those who already have a license in their home state, but this is my first license.

Maybe you can hunt for Obamas authentic non forged birth certificate while you're there ? :)

In Texas its issued at birth for life with choice of 12 or 20 gauge and a case of shells. Handguns are issued when kindergarten is completed. Nice 9mm, and they throw in 250 rounds of ammo with 50 choice hollow points!

I'm hunting in Hawaii. Not sure what I'll be hunting yet, though I plan to use a bow. Hawaii doesn't have online licensure and requires 3 classes to be eligible. The problem is all these classes are filled for months.

I'm trying to circumvent this delay by getting licensed online in another state. If I can do this without a field test, HI will grant an exception to their licensure requirements. Then, voila!, I am licensed in HI without the wait/classes.

I think GH is incorrect that non-residents can easily get out-of-state licenses online. This may be true for those who already have a license in their home state, but this is my first license.

It depends what state. It is easy to get an out of state license for wyoming on the internet.

I looked up Hawaii hunting and it looks like boars are the easiest animal to hunt down there, followed by goats and then deer.

Another option that lets you skip the hunters education route is to hunt for fish with bows. If i remember correctly you are quasi vegetarian. Hunting fish lets kill an animal that you will eat.

Here are some links, although you would be better off calling some local hunting and fishing guides and asking around.

http://hawaiideptland.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/449/~/what-are-the-rules-%26-regulations-on-bowfishing%3F

http://bowsite.com/BOWSITE/features/bowfishing/gettingstarted/