Sign in to follow this  
MDC

Do you hate fat people too?

So if someone was fat but did not stink, did not waddle, was not unhealthy, was polite, wore appropriate fitting clothes and ate fresh foods as much as fast food if not more would you still hate them :dunno:

So if someone was fat but did not stink, did not waddle, was not unhealthy, was polite, wore appropriate fitting clothes and ate fresh foods as much as fast food if not more would you still hate them :dunno:

No. Then they're just "jolly" :thumbsup:

:crossesfingers:

There is a little truth in what VOR is saying. It's easy to just say it's a personal responsibility thing, but here in L.A. we have a huge problem with obesity in the Hispanic communities. Their neighborhoods are riddled with fast food places to start with, and then some of these people commute crazy lengths to get to work AND sometimes even work 2-3 jobs just to support their families. So when your poor AND getting home after 8:00pm I think it may be a little harder on some of those people.

Now don't get me started on the fact that most of these people have 4-5 kids. :mad:

No discriminating against black or gay people but it is perfectly fine to discriminate against fat people. Interesting. What about fat black people can we hate them or no?

Is your point that it's not okay to discriminate against fat people, or that it is also okay to also discriminate against blacks and gheys?

Black or gay = something you're born with.

Being a 300-lb. heffer = did it to yourself.

HTH

I used to feel this way but I'm easing some as I learn more about nutrition and diabetes. There is a question regarding Type 2s; did the obesity cause the disease or vice versa? Given the genetic link it implies the latter.

Also, one of our best friends is a CBF who is just shaped weird. The way the fat hangs on her is abnormal when compared to other fatties. She has tried a bunch of things and can't lose the weight. Her brothers and sisters are similar, or so I'm told.

Nevertheless, I still tend to look at fatties with disdain. :(

Is your point that it's not okay to discriminate against fat people, or that it is also okay to also discriminate against blacks and gheys?

No just pointing out the hypocrisy of people that discriminate while berating people for discriminating.

I used to feel this way but I'm easing some as I learn more about nutrition and diabetes. There is a question regarding Type 2s; did the obesity cause the disease or vice versa? Given the genetic link it implies the latter.

Also, one of our best friends is a CBF who is just shaped weird. The way the fat hangs on her is abnormal when compared to other fatties. She has tried a bunch of things and can't lose the weight. Her brothers and sisters are similar, or so I'm told.

I've had a few friends like that too. But that probably makes up less than 10% of all fatties, don't you think? I'd say for most it is much, much.more attributable to nutrition and exercise than genes, in my totally unscientific guesstimation.

No just pointing out the hypocrisy of people that discriminate while berating people for discriminating.

So people should be free to discriminate against blacks and gheys then, since other people discriminate against fatties?

Aren't there a lot of instances of type 2 diabetes going away through diet and exercise, though? So that would kinda go against the theory of it causing obesity, no? :unsure:

So people should be free to discriminate against blacks and gheys then, since other people discriminate against fatties?

You tell me. You are the one that accuses people of being racist but thinks it is perfectly okay to discriminate against others.

Aren't there a lot of instances of type 2 diabetes going away through diet and exercise, though? So that would kinda go against the theory of it causing obesity, no? :unsure:

Correct..and I'm an example of that. Semi severe type 2 and I'm 6ft 210. My guess is that it's reversed most times, with the obesity causing the diabetes.

You tell me. You are the one that accuses people of being racist but thinks it is perfectly okay to discriminate against others.

Does a person choose to be a racial minority? Do fat people usually get where they are because of choices they've made? I think the answers you seek lie in those two questions :thumbsup:

Does a person choose to be a racial minority? Do fat people usually get where they are because of choices they've made? I think the answers you seek lie in those two questions :thumbsup:

So you are saying that if you disagree with a choice someone makes it is OK to discriminate against them.

Interesting.......

Yes but that doesn't address the initial cause. Insulin resistance can cause an eating spiral; if you recognize it and control the diet, you can undo it in many cases.

Okay I'll play your little game.

From your logic it is okay for me to hate black people because they choose to commit more crime then white people. Correct?

Yes but that doesn't address the initial cause. Insulin resistance can cause an eating spiral; if you recognize it and control the diet, you can undo it in many cases.

I think I'm missing something here... I'll admit I don't really know much about type 2 diabetes, but it seems to me if you can reverse something through diet and excercise, then being sedentary and not eating correctly was the cause. If it was the other way around, how could this be possible?

Okay I'll play your little game.

From your logic it is okay for me to hate black people because they choose to commit more crime then white people. Correct?

No, incorrect. You can choose to hate the individual person who chooses to commit more crimes, and probably should. You can also choose to look down upon an individual person who chooses not to take care of themselves through exercise and healthy eating habits.

You can't choose to hate a person who doesn't commit crimes because they happen to be the same color as other people who do commit more crimes.

Your analogy would make much more sense if, say, white people had a greater chance of being fat, so you were asking if it was OK to hate all whites based on that.

I realize this isn't simple but do try to keep up :thumbsup:

No, incorrect. You can choose to hate the individual person who chooses to commit more crimes, and probably should. You can also choose to look down upon an individual person who chooses not to take care of themselves through exercise and healthy eating habits.

You can't choose to hate a person who doesn't commit crimes because they happen to be the same color as other people who do commit more crimes.

Your analogy would make much more sense if, say, white people had a greater chance of being fat, so you were asking if it was OK to hate all whites based on that.

So you are only descriminating against 10% of the fatties

"I've had a few friends like that too. But that probably makes up less than 10% of all fatties, don't you think? I'd say for most it is much, much.more attributable to nutrition and exercise than genes, in my totally unscientific guesstimation"

So you are only descriminating against 10% of the fatties

"I've had a few friends like that too. But that probably makes up less than 10% of all fatties, don't you think? I'd say for most it is much, much.more attributable to nutrition and exercise than genes, in my totally unscientific guesstimation"

Perhaps. If it truly was no fault of their own and I was discriminating against them based on thr choices of other fatties, yes.

You hate a whole group of people based on one physical characteristic. The only thing simple is your hypocrisy and your prejudice. You should try judging people by something other than their physical appearance.

You hate a whole group of people based on one physical characteristic. The only thing simple is your hypocrisy and your prejudice. You should try judging people by something other than their physical appearance.

I recall some dude a while back saying we should all judge people on the content of their character. Name slips by me right now. If it comes back I will look up the speech.

It was a barn burner.

Someone who discriminates as much as Worms should prolly hear it. :thumbsup:

I don't really have a problem with fat dudes, but I hate fat women. I don't care how they got that way. They all think they're great looking too because some dude is still kissing their fat ass to get a piece.

I'm not proud of my prejudice, just aware of it. As much as I try to have compassion for crapper busting fatties, I can't help but think they're disgusting, slothful and weak-minded. As well as being physically repellent and stinky. :(

This is the thing. It doesn't bother me that you have prejudice. What bothers me is we live in a culture where prejudice is based on the current acceptable norms. In other words, it's cool to hate gays today but not tomorrow. So tomorrow it's the fatties. But then someday, that won't cool. So then it's the elderly. Then what? If you hate something, don't come judge me if I happen to disagree with something else. That is pure hypocrisy.

I've had a few friends like that too. But that probably makes up less than 10% of all fatties, don't you think? I'd say for most it is much, much.more attributable to nutrition and exercise than genes, in my totally unscientific guesstimation.

Do you not see the irony between this thread and the "am I a racist" thread. The one talking about living among blacks in a certain neighborhood. Isn't he judging a certain portion of the black community based on their location while you judge a certain portion of the "fatty" population based on your views.

:dunno:

This is the thing. It doesn't bother me that you have prejudice. What bothers me is we live in a culture where prejudice is based on the current acceptable norms. In other words, it's cool to hate gays today but not tomorrow. So tomorrow it's the fatties. But then someday, that won't cool. So then it's the elderly. Then what? If you hate something, don't come judge me if I happen to disagree with something else. That is pure hypocrisy.

Well here's the thing for me: I have a visceral type revulsion towards CBFs, particularly if they're way too young to be out of shape. I attribute all sorts of bad personal qualities to the people who get that way.

I think it's more fair than judging people on a quality they have no control over, like race, age or sexual orientation. I also think there's a difference between acknowledging your own prejudices and bragging about them.

I know it's probably not right to hate CBFs but I can't help it. It's just gross. :dunno:

Well here's the thing for me: I have a visceral type revulsion towards CBFs, particularly if they're way too young to be out of shape. I attribute all sorts of bad personal qualities to the people who get that way.

I think it's more fair than judging people on a quality they have no control over, like race, age or sexual orientation. I also think there's a difference between acknowledging your own prejudices and bragging about them.

I know it's probably not right to hate CBFs but I can't help it. It's just gross. :dunno:

My point being is if you are going to have a prejudice against fatties, you can't call out someone who has a prejudice against gays, blacks, secretaries, or otherwise.

Edit: Well you can. It just makes you a hypocrite.

Prejudice is prejudice.

Do you not see the irony between this thread and the "am I a racist" thread. The one talking about living among blacks in a certain neighborhood. Isn't he judging a certain portion of the black community based on their location while you judge a certain portion of the "fatty" population based on your views.

:dunno:

No, I really think you guys are overplaying this. And most of you probably know this. It's a matter of immutable characteristics (like race) versus lifestyle choices (like being fat and unhealthy).

If you wanted to draw a parallel the better one to focus on is fatties versus gheys. Note that I have not gone on an 8 page rant against anti-ghey discrimination. But I do support ghey rights. Thing is I don't believe being ghey is a "lifestyle choice" for most. I suppose we can debate that (although I'd rather not), but the real point here is that being a racial minority is certainly NOT a lifestyle choice.

Does that make sense? Not trying to be snarky (in this particular post) but it really seems that many here can't process any nuances at all.

My point being is if you are going to have a prejudice against fatties, you can't call out someone who has a prejudice against gays, blacks, secretaries, or otherwise.

Edit: Well you can. It just makes you a hypocrite.

Prejudice is prejudice.

I get your point but I disagree with it. Being black or gay isn't a lifestyle choice. Being 300+ pounds usually is. I'd say its closer to hating smokers.

Also, acknowledging a prejudice isn't discrimination. If I wanted to bar CBFs from all you can eat buffets, that would be discrimination.

HTH

No, I really think you guys are overplaying this. And most of you probably know this. It's a matter of immutable characteristics (like race) versus lifestyle choices (like being fat and unhealthy).

If you wanted to draw a parallel the better one to focus on is fatties versus gheys. Note that I have not gone on an 8 page rant against anti-ghey discrimination. But I do support ghey rights. Thing is I don't believe being ghey is a "lifestyle choice" for most. I suppose we can debate that (although I'd rather not), but the real point here is that being a racial minority is certainly NOT a lifestyle choice.

Does that make sense? Not trying to be snarky (in this particular post) but it really seems that many here can't process any nuances at all.

And I know fat people who it isn't a choice for either. I also know skinny people who can't gain weight no matter what they eat. People are a diverse group and making a judgement based on your view only makes you the one with prejudice.

20 years ago, your argument was made against gay people. Using it now against overweight people doesn't make it right.

I get your point but I disagree with it. Being black or gay isn't a lifestyle choice. Being 300+ pounds usually is. I'd say its closer to hating smokers.

Also, acknowledging a prejudice isn't discrimination. If I wanted to bar CBFs from all you can eat buffets, that would be discrimination.

HTH

Actually, that seems like a sound business practice to me. :dunno:

HTH

Discrimination is a different subject all together. We are talking about prejudices. So you find a fat person disgusting and another person finds 2 dudes kissing disgusting. But you are OK with one and not the other because you perceive it to be a lifestyle choice for one and not the other.

Interesting.

And I know fat people who it isn't a choice for either. I also know skinny people who can't gain weight no matter what they eat. People are a diverse group and making a judgement based on your view only makes you the one with prejudice.

20 years ago, your argument was made against gay people. Using it now against overweight people doesn't make it right.

Megla already made that point and I conceded that he is right for a small percentage of fatties. So yes, I guess I am being a d!ck to some people by assuming they're fat simply because they have poor eating habits and don't exercise.

He was exposed making judgements and derogatory statements about black folks just a week or so back.

He has a history of bigotry.

He was exposed making judgements and derogatory statements about black folks just a week or so back.

He has a history of bigotry.

:rolleyes:

Megla already made that point and I conceded that he is right for a small percentage of fatties. So yes, I guess I am being a d!ck to some people by assuming they're fat simply because they have poor eating habits and don't exercise.

So you'd be OK if Drobs was a d!ck to some flamboyant gays? And Bunny was a d!ck to some ghetto black people based on their perceived notions?

So you'd be OK if Drobs was a d!ck to some flamboyant gays? And Bunny was a d!ck to some ghetto black people based on their perceived notions?

If Bunny is a d!ck to ill-behaved people of any color in the ghetto, that's fine.

If drobeski is a d!ck because he thinks being ghey is a lifestyle choice, I would disagree with his assessment as would the majority of Americans.

But I think it's pretty much indisputed that the vast majority of obese people are that way due to poor eating habits and lack of exercise, right? So there's the difference.

Now maybe you think I'm an ahole but it's not the same as racial prejudice.

Discrimination is a different subject all together. We are talking about prejudices. So you find a fat person disgusting and another person finds 2 dudes kissing disgusting. But you are OK with one and not the other because you perceive it to be a lifestyle choice for one and not the other.

Interesting.

You're wrong: I'm fine with other people finding it disgusting. I don't want to watch two dudes kissing either. But I support their equal rights just like I support the rights of CBFs gorging themselves at IHOP, even though I don't want to watch that either. :dunno:

If Bunny is a d!ck to ill-behaved people of any color in the ghetto, that's fine.

If drobeski is a d!ck because he thinks being ghey is a lifestyle choice, I would disagree with his assessment as would the majority of Americans.

But I think it's pretty much indisputed that the vast majority of obese people are that way due to poor eating habits and lack of exercise, right? So there's the difference.

Now maybe you think I'm an ahole but it's not the same as racial prejudice.

I think you make a lot of presumptions. :dunno: