Sign in to follow this  
The Moz

The perfect chili recipe

I am not a great cook by any means but there are a few things I like to think I do well. I am always thinking of new ways to make chili and I think I have finally perfected it (if you like it with some kick). Figured I will share -- rip it apart if you want to.

Ingredients

2 lb of diced sirloin (no ground beef at all) - get as much fat off as you can when dicing.

1 bundle of green onions

1 large white onion

2 non- green Bell peppers (I used Yellow and Red)

1 - Jalapeno pepper

2 - Serrano peppers

1/2 of - Habenero pepper (dice as finely as you can)

3 - teaspoons of Garlic

1 - teaspoon of ginger

1/8 cup of Cayenne pepper

3/4 cup chili powder

1/2 cup of water

8 - cherry tomatoes sliced in 4 pieces each

2 can's of Chili beans

2 can's of chili diced tomatoes

Cooking:

Get a deep frying pan/pot hybrid thing (sorry don't know the exact name of it but it has the diameter of a large frying pan and the depth of a small pot.

-Throw in steak first and cook all pieces to about medium/rare - medium (high heat)

-Drain grease from steak in sink

-After draining throw in all the peppers and onions and continue to cook after mixing in for about 4-6 minutes on medium heat

-Then throw in the cans of beans and diced tomatoes, garlic , ginger, cayenne, chili powder - again mix and continue cooking on med. heat for another 3 minutes

- throw in 1/2 cup of water - then turn on about 4 heat.

- throw in the cherry tomatoes last about 3 min. after water

- keep heat about 3 after that.

- don't over cook the "fresh" tomatoes if you cook it too high and too long it will become mush so be careful how long you cook and be careful when stirring every minute.

Prep time - about 20-25 minutes

Cook time - 20 - 25 mintues

Total cost - approx 40 dollars (if you buy good ingredients)

Easily serves family of 5 with plenty of left overs for lunch.

I have tried maybe 30 different variations of chili and so far this is hands down my best effort. enjoy.

Try Chorizo, but that recipe looks pretty good.

And exactly how big is your family(size wise) cause that recipe looks like it would serve 8 to 10 normal sized people.

That sounds really good. :thumbsup:

During football season, I make Chili EVERY single Giants game and I have gotten my down to a science.

Many of the same ingredients. Biggest difference is that I am not a fan of jalepeno. I like plenty of kick, so I add Louisiana hot sauce before simmering. I could never right down my recipe though, as I don't measure my spices. After doing it so much, I know how much of each thing should be added. I'm sure it's the same with you.

Dammit, now I'm hungry for Chili.

Try Chorizo, but that recipe looks pretty good.

And exactly how big is your family(size wise) cause that recipe looks like it would serve 8 to 10 normal sized people.

I would make it on Sunday prior to the games and have the same thing for lunch all week. I only make it once a month because it takes me so long to finish it all.

What improved it was the latest time I tried it (this recipe) for some reason I thought to add ginger and substituted 2 Jalapeno peppers for 1 and added 2 Serrano.

I will say if you still make chili using ground beef :nono: I started this way until I began going 1/2 ground beef 1/2 steak - until going no ground beef and all diced steak - there was no going back to ground beef after that.

I would make it on Sunday prior to the games and have the same thing for lunch all week. I only make it once a month because it takes me so long to finish it all.

What improved it was the latest time I tried it (this recipe) for some reason I thought to add ginger and substituted 2 Jalapeno peppers for 1 and added 2 Serrano.

I will say if you still make chili using ground beef :nono: I started this way until I began going 1/2 ground beef 1/2 steak - until going no ground beef and all diced steak - there was no going back to ground beef after that.

I either make mine 100% Chorizo...or 50% Chorizo/50% Ground Beef/Turkey. Sometimes of my friends can't handle 100% Chorizo, but next time I'll give your method a try and go with steak.

sounds like a good recipe...i tend to crockpot my chili's, but maybe give this a try this week. Thanks :thumbsup:

sounds like a good recipe...i tend to crockpot my chili's, but maybe give this a try this week. Thanks :thumbsup:

I do that too, slow cook it for 12-18 hours or so before serving.

That sounds really good. :thumbsup:

During football season, I make Chili EVERY single Giants game and I have gotten my down to a science.

Many of the same ingredients. Biggest difference is that I am not a fan of jalepeno. I like plenty of kick, so I add Louisiana hot sauce before simmering. I could never right down my recipe though, as I don't measure my spices. After doing it so much, I know how much of each thing should be added. I'm sure it's the same with you.

Dammit, now I'm hungry for Chili.

If you are Using hot sauce try Valentio's (mexican) extra hot ..... sauce. I tried that once and it was pretty good - actually thats the sauce I use most of the time - IMO much better than Louisiana.

You gain points using real meat instead of ground beef, but you lose points adding beans and the short cooking time, and for gods sake, why is water an ingredient? If you need more liquid (you really shouldn't) you should use stock or beer. I put both in mine.

Also, great chili cooks for 4 hours minimum.

Here is a chili recipe

A few pounds of meat, cubed large

chili powder (homemade)

1 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce chopped

bottle of dark beer

beef stock

yellow onion chopped

garlic

tomato paste

butter

Brown the meat in a pot or dutch oven in butter over high heat. Don't cook the meat through. You just want to brown the outside. Set the meat aside. In the same pan, cook your onions until translucent over medium heat. add the garlic and chili powder and mix everything while cooking a couple more minutes. The wife/dog/kid will come into the kitchen now because everything smells amazing. Tell them to go away.

Put the meat back in along with a bit of tomato paste, add enough beer and stock to just barely cover the meat. Also add chipotle peppers in adobo sauce to taste. Stir. Bring everything to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and let it cook for a long time. The simmer is important. It should be barely simmering.

After about 4 hours, scoop the chucks of meat out and use two forks to shred them. It should be really easy to shred. Put it back in the pot and stir. Let it cook until it's as reduced as you want it to be. Add salt to taste.

You gain points using real meat instead of ground beef, but you lose points adding beans and the short cooking time, and for gods sake, why is water an ingredient? If you need more liquid (you really shouldn't) you should use stock or beer. I put both in mine.

Here is a chili recipe

chili powder (homemade)

bottle of dark beer

beef stock

yellow onion chopped

garlic

tomato paste

butter

Brown the meat in a pot or dutch oven in butter over high heat. Don't cook the meat through. You just want to brown the outside. Set the meat aside. In the same pan, cook your onions until translucent over medium heat. add the garlic and chili powder and mix everything while cooking a couple more minutes. The wife/dog/kid will come into the kitchen now because everything smells amazing. Tell them to go away.

Put the meat back in along with a bit of tomato paste, add enough beer and stock to just barely cover the meat. Also add chipotle peppers in adobo sauce to taste. Stir. Bring everything to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and let it cook for a long time. The simmer is important. It should be barely simmering.

After about 4 hours, scoop the chucks of meat out and use two forks to shred them. It should be really easy to shred. Put it back in the pot and stir. Let it cook until it's as reduced as you want it to be. Add salt to taste.

I tried beer - didn't like it as much.

Also you lose points not using fresh ingredients (Chef Gordon Ramsay frowns on you) I always use as much fresh "produce" ingredients as I can. In regards to time - if you like your meat to be able to "shread" like a pot roast then slow cooking is absolutely the best way. I like the steak to have more of a steak like texture thats why I fast cook it.

However one thing I never tried is slow cooking everything BUT the steak in crock pot - then adding the steak and tomatoes at the end - will try that next.

Here is a chili recipe

chili powder (homemade)

bottle of dark beer

beef stock

yellow onion chopped

garlic

tomato paste

butter

From Texas, by chance?(Texans always seem so adamant, NO BEANS IN CHILLI)

I am not a great cook by any means but there are a few things I like to think I do well. I am always thinking of new ways to make chili and I think I have finally perfected it (if you like it with some kick). Figured I will share -- rip it apart if you want to.

Ingredients

2 lb of diced sirloin (no ground beef at all) - get as much fat off as you can when dicing.

1 bundle of green onions

1 large white onion

2 non- green Bell peppers (I used Yellow and Red)

1 - Jalapeno pepper

2 - Serrano peppers

1/2 of - Habenero pepper (dice as finely as you can)

3 - teaspoons of Garlic

1 - teaspoon of ginger

1/8 cup of Cayenne pepper

3/4 cup chili powder

1/2 cup of water

8 - cherry tomatoes sliced in 4 pieces each

2 can's of Chili beans

2 can's of chili diced tomatoes

Cooking:

Get a deep frying pan/pot hybrid thing (sorry don't know the exact name of it but it has the diameter of a large frying pan and the depth of a small pot.

-Throw in steak first and cook all pieces to about medium/rare - medium (high heat)

-After draining throw in all the peppers and onions and continue to cook after mixing in for about 4-6 minutes on medium heat

-Then throw in the cans of beans and diced tomatoes, garlic , ginger, cayenne, chili powder - again mix and continue cooking on med. heat for another 3 minutes

- throw in 1/2 cup of water - then turn on about 4 heat.

- throw in the cherry tomatoes last about 3 min. after water

- keep heat about 3 after that.

- don't over cook the "fresh" tomatoes if you cook it too high and too long it will become mush so be careful how long you cook and be careful when stirring every minute.

Prep time - about 20-25 minutes

Cook time - 20 - 25 mintues

Total cost - approx 40 dollars (if you buy good ingredients)

Easily serves family of 5 with plenty of left overs for lunch.

I have tried maybe 30 different variations of chili and so far this is hands down my best effort. enjoy.

Try replacing your diced tomatoes with Rotel and water with beer. Also, lose the beans.

It looks good.

I tried beer - didn't like it as much.

Also you lose points not using fresh ingredients (Chef Gordon Ramsay frowns on you) I always use as much fresh "produce" ingredients as I can. In regards to time - if you like your meat to be able to "shread" like a pot roast then slow cooking is absolutely the best way. I like the steak to have more of a steak like texture thats why I fast cook it.

However one thing I never tried is slow cooking everything BUT the steak in crock pot - then adding the steak and tomatoes at the end - will try that next.

Probably used the wrong beer, but also I think the slow cooking process helps blend the flavor in with everything. It might be too potent in a chili that cooks for a short time.

As for fresh ingredients, its all fresh except the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. I make the exception there because that ###### is so good in chili. The chili powder is homemade too. Homemade chili powder is on a whole other level than store bought. Also, canned tomatoes of any form should not be frowned upon. Tomatoes are canned when they are at peak ripeness whereas, unless you grow your own, supermarket tomatoes are not near as good.

The slow cooking is mainly to get the beef to shred but also for all the flavors to blend properly and for the liquid to reduce to intensify the flavor. It's an awesome cooking technique. Slow cooking meat slowly breaks apart the tendons in the meat making it incredibly tender.

I won a chili cookoff with my recipe and have had culinary school instructors rave about it.

I am not from Texas. Just don't believe beans add anything other than filler. I'd rather be eating more meat.

Probably used the wrong beer, but also I think the slow cooking process helps blend the flavor in with everything. It might be too potent in a chili that cooks for a short time.

When I used beer it seemed to over power everything else. So I guess you have a point beer is only good to use if you do slow cook it.

If you are Using hot sauce try Valentio's (mexican) extra hot ..... sauce. I tried that once and it was pretty good - actually thats the sauce I use most of the time - IMO much better than Louisiana.

Cholula chili lime is my newest hot sauce du jour

I like something sweet in my chili, to offset the fiery heat. Pineapple works well.. Tidbits, not chunks. Chunks are too big.

You can all brand me a heretic now.

I like this stuff. Its a little thicker than regular brand name hot sauces, and it clings to the food a bit more, if youre just using it as a condiment

:thumbsup:

I always use the crockpot for chili too.

Don't understand the hate for ground beef and beans though. Two of my staples when it comes to chili. For hot sauce I use Sriracha. It adds plenty of flavor without too much heat.

Ima give that recipe a try Moz. :cheers:

Ground meat has no texture. A nice hearty bite of a chunk of meat allows it to pronounce itself against whatever starch, tomatoes or other stuff is used. Another problem with ground meat is that it already has the connective tissue all mangled, so if you do cook it a very long time, all you've got left is meat sand. Yet another problem with ground meat is that it is very difficult to brown without overcooking it. With cubes of meat, you can brown it without cooking the insides, then let it braise for hours. Browning the meat beforehand is a key step in achieving awesome flavor in the chili.

About the only thing a ground meat chili is good for is to put on hot dogs.

Agreed Bro'

dont make a habit of this. it will clog your pipes and make the water much harder to purify.

When I make chili it's usually a side to go with dogs or burgers. If I make chili as a main I pour it over a piece of sweet cornbread. :wub:

I appreciate the OP, and i haven't read the rest of the posts, but what turns me off immediately is the "perfect chili" idea.

It's like the focking NY tards who think there's only ONE 'perfect' pizza place.

After having lived in TX for 15 years, they're just as stupid. "It has BEANS!!!?" That's not chili!

Others: It has chocolate/cinaomon etc. "That's not chili!"

For me, the crap in Cinci is nowhere near chili. I'll hold true to that. But others think it's the 'best'. THey're focking stupid, but it's their belief. The best chili I ever had used smoked brisket and used ground beef as a thickener - so the OP's recipe 'sucks'???

So really sick of the "there's only one perfect XYX food in the world and I KNOW what it is."

And BTW, now that I'm back in Colorado, the only chili in my view that's worth a damn is green chile. - And most of you dumbasses have no idea what that is. - Especially the Morons in Texas who think they invented chili. In Houston, you ask for Green Chile - and you get some nasty focking tomatillo salsa. But I get that that's my view and not yours.

And BTW - In Texas (and elsewhere), beans trasnported well on the trail . You can GD MF'ing guarantee that the first "chili" in Texas included beans - as did almost every other GD meal on the trail. But let's not let facts get in the way of culinary mythology.

All that being said, sounds like a good recipe to me. :thumbsup:

If you like it

Many of the same ingredients. Biggest difference is that I am not a fan of jalepeno. I like plenty of kick, so I add Louisiana hot sauce before simmering.

So, you like vinegar.

dont make a habit of this. it will clog your pipes and make the water much harder to purify.

I agree it could clog the pipes but those are drain pipes. The water you drink does not pass through those pipes, so this will not make the water harder to purify.

Here is a chili recipe

chili powder (homemade)

bottle of dark beer

beef stock

yellow onion chopped

garlic

tomato paste

butter

How do you make the homemade chili powder?

I appreciate the OP, and i haven't read the rest of the posts, but what turns me off immediately is the "perfect chili" idea.

It's like the focking NY tards who think there's only ONE 'perfect' pizza place.

After having lived in TX for 15 years, they're just as stupid. "It has BEANS!!!?" That's not chili!

My cousin is from Texas and made Chilli for everyone once and I asked why no beans and he basically said the same thing.

He nearly lost his mind when I told him "Well if it doesn't have beans, this is just meat stew" :lol:

This i don't understand. I lived in Texas when I was 8 through 13 in Houston. I went to a few Chili cookoffs that I remember and a lot of the chili there had "beans"

Lived in Texas for 30 years but some times I still have to make a pot of Yankee chili with beans.

I make it a thinner broth. With Texas chili I like using brisket, a bit of masa for thickening and any

Texas or Tex-Mex cooking has to include cumin.

Ground meat has no texture. A nice hearty bite of a chunk of meat allows it to pronounce itself against whatever starch, tomatoes or other stuff is used. Another problem with ground meat is that it already has the connective tissue all mangled, so if you do cook it a very long time, all you've got left is meat sand. Yet another problem with ground meat is that it is very difficult to brown without overcooking it. With cubes of meat, you can brown it without cooking the insides, then let it braise for hours. Browning the meat beforehand is a key step in achieving awesome flavor in the chili.

It has plenty of texture and is easily browned without over cooking it, it's a staple in my chili as is eye of round smoked and then cut into 1/4 inch chuncks. You simply do not add the ground beef until the last hour or so of the cooking time.

Some other tips I find to make a better chili

1. Some type of sweet component-cocoa, chocolate, brown sugar, molasis

2. Whenever possible smoke your meat before adding

3. Use re-hydrated pepers less the stems and seeds

4. For a thicher chilip you can add a bit of corn starch

5. Smoked sausage/chorizo is a wonderful addition

6. Mix it up- I will from time to time make Buffalo Chicken chili, green chili, Itialian chili

Texas or Tex-Mex cooking has to include cumin.

Ahh the Texan secret ingredient reveals itself. :o

It has plenty of texture and is easily browned without over cooking it, it's a staple in my chili as is eye of round smoked and then cut into 1/4 inch chuncks. You simply do not add the ground beef until the last hour or so of the cooking time.

Some other tips I find to make a better chili

1. Some type of sweet component-cocoa, chocolate, brown sugar, molasis

2. Whenever possible smoke your meat before adding

3. Use re-hydrated pepers less the stems and seeds

4. For a thicher chilip you can add a bit of corn starch

5. Smoked sausage/chorizo is a wonderful addition

6. Mix it up- I will from time to time make Buffalo Chicken chili, green chili, Itialian chili

I have tried Cocoa and it's decent as a heat dimmer. I also tried sausage but it just to me doesn't taste right. Also have even tried making a Shrimp and crabmeat chili (didn't go to well :( ) - I did however find a great Shrimp and crabmeat cold - I guess Chili-esque mix

For any that want to know My Shrimp and Crab mix is: size to serve as a appetizer for a get together ( this seemed to go over really well)

- Jumbo "Gulf" Shrimp (chopped)

- "Blue" (Backfin lump) crab meat

- Cilantro

- Avocado

- Red Onion

- Tomato

- Old Bay seasoning

- Fresh squeezed lime juice - generously

Buy the shrimp in the shell not already peeled they cook better - cook JUST enough as to not overcook ( make as you would for Shrimp coctail)

Basically just mix it together after that - chill overnight in fridge -- then enjoy with Tortilla chips or Tostada's. Add hot sauce to taste

Here's a chicken chilli I really like ... don't have the recipe in front of me so I don't have measurements, so I'll just estimate, but you can do it to your taste.

I buy the best deal on chicken I can find, usually either a whole chicken or bone-in parts and roast it in the oven at 350 with some oil, salt and garlic powder, then let it cool.

Sweat a large white onion, then add a couple cloves of chopped garlic, 3 tbsp chilli powder, 1 tbsp cummin, 1 tbsp salt, 1 tsp oregano, 1 can diced green chillis, 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce chopped, 4 cans northern beans, the pan drippings from the roasted chicken, and add about a quart of chicken stock.

Simmer for about an hour, then slowly melt in a cup of monterey jack cheese, add the chopped chicken meat, let it come to temp and serve. I have sides of chopped cilantro, salsa, monterey jack, sour cream, hot sauce, and tortilla chips for people to add as they want.

:cheers:

How do you make the homemade chili powder?

Get some chiles and dry them out or just buy them pre-dried from a good Mexican grocery store. I've tried both ways and there's not much difference. I like to get a good mix of California, New Mexican, and Ancho chiles. Using kitchen shears or scissors, I'll cut up the chilis into small pieces discarding the seeds. Take these small pieces and lightly toast them in a pan over low heat. Now, get a food processor or even better a coffee or spice grinder and grind the ###### out of them until it's a powder. It may take a while if using a food processor.

That's a basic chili powder. Take a whiff of your homemade powder and compare it to store bought. You'll be amazed. You can also add a bit of salt, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper and other spices you're going to add to the chili or add them separately. In my recipe above, all those spices are added to my chili powder.

Others: It has chocolate/cinaomon etc. "That's not chili!"

For me, the crap in Cinci is nowhere near chili. I'll hold true to that. But others think it's the 'best'. THey're focking stupid, but it's their belief. The best chili I ever had used smoked brisket and used ground beef as a thickener - so the OP's recipe 'sucks'???

So really sick of the "there's only one perfect XYX food in the world and I KNOW what it is."

And BTW, now that I'm back in Colorado, the only chili in my view that's worth a damn is green chile. - And most of you dumbasses have no idea what that is. - Especially the Morons in Texas who think they invented chili. In Houston, you ask for Green Chile - and you get some nasty focking tomatillo salsa. But I get that that's my view and not yours.

And BTW - In Texas (and elsewhere), beans trasnported well on the trail . You can GD MF'ing guarantee that the first "chili" in Texas included beans - as did almost every other GD meal on the trail. But let's not let facts get in the way of culinary mythology.

All that being said, sounds like a good recipe to me. :thumbsup:

If you like it

I agree but only to an extent. Sure, "if you like it" always applies, but there is a basic definition of chili and some things cross the line. The recipe in the OP is probably very tasty, but it looks like more of a stew than a chili.

Someone could like their steak well done, but it doesn't change the fact that cooking it that way ruins the meat. It's science. Same thing when comparing the use of real meat vs. ground beef. Around here, ground beef chilis aren't winning any chili cook-offs.

This i don't understand. I lived in Texas when I was 8 through 13 in Houston. I went to a few Chili cookoffs that I remember and a lot of the chili there had "beans"

There are some people in Texas that use beans in there chili. It is personal cook what you like. I don't personally care for beans in my chili. If I want bean soup(charro) I'll make charro beans.

The no “beans in chili” is like every other regional item.

NY - That sh!t in Chicago isn't pizza.

Chicago - That sh!t in NY isn't pizza.

Philly - This is the only place to get cheese steak.

New Mexico - That sh!t in Colorado isn't green chili.

California - That swill in Washington and Oregon isn't wine.

I agree it could clog the pipes but those are drain pipes. The water you drink does not pass through those pipes, so this will not make the water harder to purify.

all waste water is processed by the sewage treatment plant before being reintroduced into the ecosystem. the presence of oil in the mix really screws with their gizmo.