Sign in to follow this  
Electric Mayhem

New Computer for Wife

The 11" MacBook she got about 4 years ago is finally to a point that it is unusable. More time spent watching the beach ball spin than being productive. So the time has come to start looking for a replacement.

What it will be used for/requested needs
Interwebs
Word (on occasion)
light gaming (I'm talking solitare level stuff)
Some app based productivity (notes, calendars etc)
she doesn't like touch screen typing
likes Apple OS/iOS

Right now my options seem to be:
MacBook Air, which will run about a grand. Probably overkill for her needs, but she will like it the best
new Asus Transformer Infinity. 10" tablet with keyboard dock. Runs Windows I believe.
Chromebook: cheap, functional, may suck.
Other tablet?
Other laptop?

I'm looking for light, with keyboard, won't crash. Rat's ass about storage, graphics processing, camera.

Anyone keep up on this stuff? I like to peruse CNET, but I'm not up on the latest PC comparos, more just the mobile stuff since I'm debating a phone upgrade.

Also I have to just come to the conclusion that having usable technology is a $1k/yr investment, which I'm not happy about. Stuff just has to be replaced regularly to run current applications. Bleh.

It's a shame she doesn't like touch screen typing because you could spend a lot less than you're going to by just getting her a tablet (which is basically all she needs based on your list of uses)

It's a shame she doesn't like touch screen typing because you could spend a lot less than you're going to by just getting her a tablet (which is basically all she needs based on your list of uses)

Yeah I know. There are a few 'hybrid' tablet options out there that I'm leaning towards (like the Asus), but I have to get her to buy into the different operating system since she currently prefers OS/iOS.

She uses a lot of e-mail, and I can't type as well on a touch than a physical keyboard so I'm not begrudging her her preference.

I'd vote for tablet, also. See if you can talk her onto one of the bigger ones... They're actually pretty easy to type on (in landscape mode). You couldn't talk me into going back to a computer or laptop at this point, at least not for most everyday stuff.

Wait a second, you got married?!

Weren't you like a character from 'The Lonely Guy' back in the day, or am I thinking of someone else?

Wait a second, you got married?!

Weren't you like a character from 'The Lonely Guy' back in the day, or am I thinking of someone else?

squirrelnutwords

I think I'm going to do more research on the Asus. It looks like it could be a viable option, and has the keyboard. I'm not too keen on Windows though, would rather go Android.

Mabe the Nexus has a keyboard dock.

EM - convince her to buy a tablet and just get used to on-screen typing.

If she's not doing anything that requires high-end computing (i.e. intense video gaming, Video editing, 3D modeling/CAD, etc) she really doesn't need a computer!

Internet? MS Word? Email? Calendars and notes?

this is EXACTLY what a tablet is for! And she likes Apple? Even better.

Are there any tablets out there that can connect a USB keyboard? that right there might the best of everything for you.

If she's not doing anything that requires high-end computing (i.e. intense video gaming, Video editing, 3D modeling/CAD, etc) she really doesn't need a computer!

Are there any tablets out there that can connect a USB keyboard? that right there might the best of everything for you.

The Asus is a tablet, but runs Windows OS. Another option would be to just get a new iPad (I use a gen 1 for 95% of my computer needs now), but as per the norm the Apple version of anything is 2x the price. I'm not tied to its OS. i think they offer a keyboard dock for the iPad.

The Asus is a tablet, but runs Windows OS. Another option would be to just get a new iPad (I use a gen 1 for 95% of my computer needs now), but as per the norm the Apple version of anything is 2x the price. I'm not tied to its OS. i think they offer a keyboard dock for the iPad.

There are a lot of iPad cases that have built-in Bluetooth keyboards nowadays.

You can buy a bluetooth keyboard for a tablet.

None of those machines are going to make you a focking sammich :mad:

Don't know what the current Asus Transformer is like but my daughter has the first one (TF101) and I have to say that it tends to be buggy with Android. The problems seem to happen more when the keyboard is attached. I've had an iPad and the Transformer for a long time now and as far as user experience is concerned, there is no debate that the iPad is more enjoyable. So getting the Transformer with Windows might actually be better than getting it with Android.

And no I haven't tried to root the tablet.

I went to Best Buy last night. They have a crapload of stuff there, including an Apple presence as well as a dedicated Samsung floor space right in teh middle of the store. I spoke to the rep for a while and he mentioned that there will be Samsung stores sprouting up in the near future, similar to the Apple stores, complete with 'geniuses' and everything. He also actually said he loved the Thinkpads from Lenovo, apparantly they are made by IBM or something.

Anyway, I was able to get a good look at the current Air, iPads, Asus tablets/notebooks/'ultrabooks', Samsung offerings, Google stuff, Surfaces etc etc

The iPads were as expected. Clean and functional. The other offerings were really hit and miss. There are still a plethora of clunky laptops. There are a few tablets that do not offer keyboards, running either Windows or Android which are pretty similar.

I was actually impressed with the Transformer. Not withstanding what was posted above, it was very light and clean, even with the keyboard installed, and that was not the new version that hasn't been priced or released yet.

I'm going to see if I can try out one of the iPad cover/keyboards at some point as well. I'm concerned that its flexibilty will make it useless if not on a hard surface.

I went to Best Buy last night. They have a crapload of stuff there, including an Apple presence as well as a dedicated Samsung floor space right in teh middle of the store. I spoke to the rep for a while and he mentioned that there will be Samsung stores sprouting up in the near future, similar to the Apple stores, complete with 'geniuses' and everything. He also actually said he loved the Thinkpads from Lenovo, apparantly they are made by IBM or something.

Anyway, I was able to get a good look at the current Air, iPads, Asus tablets/notebooks/'ultrabooks', Samsung offerings, Google stuff, Surfaces etc etc

The iPads were as expected. Clean and functional. The other offerings were really hit and miss. There are still a plethora of clunky laptops. There are a few tablets that do not offer keyboards, running either Windows or Android which are pretty similar.

I was actually impressed with the Transformer. Not withstanding what was posted above, it was very light and clean, even with the keyboard installed, and that was not the new version that hasn't been priced or released yet.

I'm going to see if I can try out one of the iPad cover/keyboards at some point as well. I'm concerned that its flexibilty will make it useless if not on a hard surface.

The Asus/Google Nexus 7 has a keyboard/case that you can get. My son has one that he got for about $10. The only drawback is that the case does not adequately protect the tablet if you choose to use it as a shield during a Nerf sword fight. :o

iPads are nice. Too expensive, but sometimes it's worth paying a premium. I got my wife one last Christmas and she absolutely loves it.

iPads are nice. Too expensive, but sometimes it's worth paying a premium. I got my wife one last Christmas and she absolutely loves it.

Unless you're a techphile/early adopter, you can get an ipad 3 now for under $400.

Unless you're a techphile/early adopter, you can get an ipad 3 now for under $400.

Old technology for $400? Too expensive. That sh!t should be like $250.

Haha yeah well it's not THAT old, plus it's Apple so you gonna get raped on price.

Haha yeah well it's not THAT old, plus it's Apple so you gonna get raped on price.

It's not that old but it isn't the latest and greatest either. Apple has tricked you in to thinking that $400 for an older product is a decent price. It's not. The current iPad should be $400 instead of $600 and the older version ought to be around $200.

Don't get me wrong, the iPad is a great product, but Apple does rape their customers on price.

Noone like the touch screen typing at first but once you get used to it there's really no difference. I would just go an Ipad since you already seem to like apple products.

Noone like the touch screen typing at first but once you get used to it there's really no difference. I would just go an Ipad since you already seem to like apple products.

I disagree with this. I have an iPhone, Galaxy 10.1 tablet and a laptop. When I have to type posts here or e-mails, typing on the tablet or phone can be a pain with the autocorrect and errors. If you are a good typist and are used to a laptop/desktop keyboard, the transition is not simple.

I disagree with this. I have an iPhone, Galaxy 10.1 tablet and a laptop. When I have to type posts here or e-mails, typing on the tablet or phone can be a pain with the autocorrect and errors. If you are a good typist and are used to a laptop/desktop keyboard, the transition is not simple.

On my Ipad at home I don't type at all I just use voice.

I agree with the sentiment on the iPhone. But with an iPad in landscape mode, I've found I can type on it just as fast as on my regular keyboard. And yes... regular typing-not hunt and peck.

Don't know what the current Asus Transformer is like but my daughter has the first one (TF101) and I have to say that it tends to be buggy with Android. The problems seem to happen more when the keyboard is attached. I've had an iPad and the Transformer for a long time now and as far as user experience is concerned, there is no debate that the iPad is more enjoyable. So getting the Transformer with Windows might actually be better than getting it with Android.

And no I haven't tried to root the tablet.

FWIW, I have now rooted my daughter's Transformer and put Team EOS4 on it and it works like a gem. Did it because Android ICS completely seized up at some point and I got tired of it. Should have done it earlier.

Can size? :wall: