Sign in to follow this  
ffexpert

David Wilson

This is a guy who i cannot put my finger on. He runs well, catches well, but i just cant seem to get comfortable with drafting him. Andre Brown is there and seems to get most of the 3rd down and goaline work. I have to believe much of this is concern over Wilson's pass protection. However, if Wilson were to get 70%+ of the work he could be awesome.

What do you all think of him. Is he overvalued, undervalued? Would you be confident with him as your RB2, how much would you spend on him in an auction?

rather have Andre Brown in regular leagues. In PPR i would be happy with Wilson as my RB2 if I can get him in the 3rd or 4th

Andre Brown for the ADP. Wilson you have going in 2nd/3rd rounds while Andre Brown you can get in 6th-8th rounds. Not only will Brown get the goal line carries but his value is much better than Wilsons

I like both guys. Andre Brown is a great value and probably the safer pick where he's going since he'll likely end up having 10 TDs or so if he stays healthy. That being said, I think David Wilson is a relatively safe pick, but with a huge ceiling and that his value is about where it should be. Say Wilson gets 15 touches a game in the committee. If he averages 5.5 yards per touch (receptions included), he'll average 82 total yards per game. Extrapolate that over the season and that's roughly 1300 total yards. Throw in 6 TDs (Giants RBs scored 18 last year, so that's 1/3 and Wilson had 4 in limited duty) and you've got yourself an OK RB2. I don't think those numbers are unreasonable as a conservative estimate considering his talent, the Giant's line, and the an above average passing game to keep the box clear.

As for his upside, I think he has a chance to put up comparable numbers to Jamaal Charles a few years ago when he was splitting carries with Thomas Jones:

230 carries for 1467 yards, 40 catches for 300 yards, and 8 total touchdowns.

Those are RB1 numbers in standard or PPR. Thomas Jones had 245 carries that same year and was largely the goal-line back, so I don't think the committee was all that bad of a drain on Charles' value, just as I don't think it will be on Wilson's. It was even said that the committee helped Charles stay fresh at the end of the year if I remember correctly.

So in summary, I think they both have good value and like both.

This is a guy who i cannot put my finger on. He runs well, catches well, but i just cant seem to get comfortable with drafting him. Andre Brown is there and seems to get most of the 3rd down and goaline work. I have to believe much of this is concern over Wilson's pass protection. However, if Wilson were to get 70%+ of the work he could be awesome.

What do you all think of him. Is he overvalued, undervalued? Would you be confident with him as your RB2, how much would you spend on him in an auction?

i agree ..i dont have alot of trust in him ..if he scores it will be a long run or screen pass ...no question that brown will play alot and will be the goalline guy .. i see wilson has a number 3 rb imo

I like both guys. Andre Brown is a great value and probably the safer pick where he's going since he'll likely end up having 10 TDs or so if he stays healthy. That being said, I think David Wilson is a relatively safe pick, but with a huge ceiling and that his value is about where it should be. Say Wilson gets 15 touches a game in the committee. If he averages 5.5 yards per touch (receptions included), he'll average 82 total yards per game. Extrapolate that over the season and that's roughly 1300 total yards. Throw in 6 TDs (Giants RBs scored 18 last year, so that's 1/3 and Wilson had 4 in limited duty) and you've got yourself an OK RB2. I don't think those numbers are unreasonable as a conservative estimate considering his talent, the Giant's line, and the an above average passing game to keep the box clear.

As for his upside, I think he has a chance to put up comparable numbers to Jamaal Charles a few years ago when he was splitting carries with Thomas Jones:

Those are RB1 numbers in standard or PPR. Thomas Jones had 245 carries that same year and was largely the goal-line back, so I don't think the committee was all that bad of a drain on Charles' value, just as I don't think it will be on Wilson's. It was even said that the committee helped Charles stay fresh at the end of the year if I remember correctly.

So in summary, I think they both have good value and like both.

I think that's a good comparison but that KC team ran a ton. That's 475 rushes for just those 2 backs and 556 total.

The giants only had 409 rushes as a team last year.

I'm keeping Wilson as my #2 RB and plan on cuffing with Brown if possible. There are some baskets I don't mind having all my eggs in.

I think that's a good comparison but that KC team ran a ton. That's 475 rushes for just those 2 backs and 556 total.

The giants only had 409 rushes as a team last year.

I agree with Mulls. It's a good post bigmark, but the Giants won't run nearly as much as that Chiefs team did. Wilson has RB2 potential, but his value hinges upon pass pro and Brown's health. If healthy I could see it being a 50/50 or 60/40 split (with Wilson at 60%).

I see this situation as being very similar to Ryan Mathews/Mike Tolbert 2011. Wilson is a tremendous talent who'll see at least half the work, and will have plenty of chances to take on more as the season progresses. Tolbert saw more third down work and scored more TDs than Mathews that year, but Mathews still cracked the top ten.

I agree with Mulls. It's a good post bigmark, but the Giants won't run nearly as much as that Chiefs team did. Wilson has RB2 potential, but his value hinges upon pass pro and Brown's health. If healthy I could see it being a 50/50 or 60/40 split (with Wilson at 60%).

That's a fair point. I still think there's enough touches to go around for both guys to be successful though.

According to this link (http://www.4for4.com/fantasy-football/total-fantasy-points-team-rbs-2012-standard) the Giants RBs put up 370 total points last year in a standard league. The scoring was pretty TD heavy, which would favor Brown, but Wilson also scored 5 of those in limited action. Just splitting that pie equally between Wilson and Brown would give them 185 points each, which would be low RB1/high RB2 territory in a standard league. It's a very simplistic argument, but I still think there's enough value in this run game for both to be good picks. Brown has great value because of where he's going, but I think you can also justify taking Wilson around his ADP because of the upside.

I think the biggest knock on Wilson will be that he may end up being a guy who has some really big games surrounded by a couple of mediocre games. He may also shine and take on more as the season progresses as was pointed out above me. I guess it depends on how risk averse you are.

6.3yds per carry. I like him but don't think he's gonna get that many yards or at least he'll need more tocuhes to do that.