Sign in to follow this  
highsider5

NFL rant: the slide rule is dangerous and dumb

Hoyer probably jacked up his career trying to pull off a 'safe' slide last night and blew out an MCL on top of taking a subtle headshot in the process.

Can the NFL pull its head out and ditch this stupid ass baseball move? it's appropriateness was clearly demonstrated last night... the QB takes the supposed safe way out, instead proves that a football guy maybe can't slide like baseball guy, and it cost him a knee, possibly a career, trying to 'protect' himself, pulling off this lame crossover maneuver that really doesn't belong in the game... outlaw helmet laden headhunters I get...force concussion guys to sit out a few games, I get... impose this kind of security blanket that winds up jeopardizing a guy's career, it's a failure and legislating safety poorly is bad for the game

bonus dumb is achieved when said QB opens himself up to a gray area shot as it will be endlessly debated whether or not the mack truck let off the gas before or after rolling the slider... bad rule, bad idea, false security and an impossible gray area to enforce even if it could be implemented... then again maybe nobody caught the headshot due to the train wreck of a slide blocking the view...

oh and FF people that started Hoyer also suffered, albeit a microscopic amount compared to the guy who can't walk today.

Not being able to slide is Hoyers fault, not the NFLs. Some coaches actually have drills for it. I remember seeing a piece where they brought out a slip n slide in camp... The players all had a hoot with it.

Not being able to slide is Hoyers fault, not the NFLs. Some coaches actually have drills for it. I remember seeing a piece where they brought out a slip n slide in camp... The players all had a hoot with it.

I will agree in part, given the current rule, you must drill this alien skill into players in a sport that does not involve a home plate

the slide a symptom, not the cause... eliminate the false security of any slide, remove it from the game (or just go back to before it existed) and the problem self resolves. easiest fix ever.

seriously if you are in danger of being tackled in a football game, perhaps you shouldn't be a running back... it's a pussification of the game, and a direct result of the QB thinking a slide was the correct move.

What grown man does not know how to focking slide?

And both he and Manuel were hurt because they were morons. They were that close to out of bounds and could have easily, and safely run out.

Neither did.

Just plain dumb.

• Like 1

What grown man does not know how to focking slide?

And both he and Manuel were hurt because they were morons. They were that close to out of bounds and could have easily, and safely run out.

Neither did.

Just plain dumb.

LOL... what professional sport is caught dead, much less broadcast in primetime with pink penalty flags :lol:

to your point, agree as well but it sure looked like there's at least one grown man that can't slide... running out of bounds is a better idea in hindsight, but passing to an open receiver, handing it off to an actual back, or simply throwing it away to avoid the sack are all superior concepts and more fitting for a quarterback.

coaxing a pocket passer into oncoming traffic is an ill found idea, made worse by rules enforcing this stick and carrot scheme...

Sliding on grass while wearing cleats doesn't seem like the smartest thing to do. If the cleat catches, it puts the ankle and knee in a vulnerable position. Add in a grown ass man hitting you with a running start while your cleat is stuck in the grass + your own momentum = say goodbye to your season/career.

I'd much rather QBs learn how to take hits or not run at all.

Sliding on grass while wearing cleats doesn't seem like the smartest thing to do. If the cleat catches, it puts the ankle and knee in a vulnerable position. Add in a grown ass man hitting you with a running start while your cleat is stuck in the grass + your own momentum = say goodbye to your season/career.

I'd much rather QBs learn how to take hits or not run at all.

THIS

• Like 1

The point of the QB slide is to do it early enough that the QB avoids contact (ie. a defender has time to react, let up, and not drill the QB). It's not a last nanosecond, "the linebacker is hitting me so I'd better get down" maneuver.

Hoyer's slide became awkward when Alonso made contact with him, hitting him sideways during the slide. I'm not sure how you can possibly blame the slide rule for that.

He should had ran out of bound...

That would had been the end of it.

You never see sliding as an issue with guys like Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Brady, Matt Ryan, etc.

If I were a GM, I would want traditional, pocket passing QBs over athletic QBs who like to run. Seems like there's a much higher risk of injury once the QB leaves the pocket. Would be an interesting study to compare injury rates in the pocket vs outside.

The point of the QB slide is to do it early enough that the QB avoids contact (ie. a defender has time to react, let up, and not drill the QB). It's not a last nanosecond, "the linebacker is hitting me so I'd better get down" maneuver.

Hoyer's slide became awkward when Alonso made contact with him, hitting him sideways during the slide. I'm not sure how you can possibly blame the slide rule for that.

the entire premise that a ball carrier can't be touched, in a contact based sport, is the problem... the rule defines this, penalties and officiating enforce this, pussification applauds this... it's right there with banning dodgeball and kid sports where just enrolling and some participation = a year end trophy

remove the rule, Hoyer never attempts to slide, he starts week 6 and doesn't own a destroyed knee. direct correlation.

Guy is to stupid to learn how to slide or to run out of bounds....glad he tore his acl....

You don't have to slide, you can not run, throw the ball away, run out of bounds, or take the hit. You can slide head first, if you're a spaz like RG3 though you'll turn the ball over that way and blame sliding.

Some of these QBs are stupid. Some are intentionally stupid because they think it's funny or something.

Brady, both Mannings, Brees aren't really runners but they run on occasion and they can slide.

Russell Wilson is a runner and the guy never seems to ever take a hit, he slides or runs out of bounds or otherwise avoids damage.

RG3, Vick, and now Hoyer are just inept.

Kaep and Rodgers don't always slide and take some hits but are better than RG3 and Vick. Luck too is in that same boat. Cam Newton is some sort of tank (so is Kaep) so he just doesn't give a crap.

LOL... what professional sport is caught dead, much less broadcast in primetime with pink penalty flags :lol:

to your point, agree as well but it sure looked like there's at least one grown man that can't slide... running out of bounds is a better idea in hindsight, but passing to an open receiver, handing it off to an actual back, or simply throwing it away to avoid the sack are all superior concepts and more fitting for a quarterback.

coaxing a pocket passer into oncoming traffic is an ill found idea, made worse by rules enforcing this stick and carrot scheme...

A sport that is not worried about what people like you think about the color pink and want to try to bring in more female viewership?

All those concepts are great...so basically you want all QBs to never escape the pocket or run for the first down.

maybe someone can find a video clip, seems like he was in or near the paint at the point of collision

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=331003005

Kiko Alonso is a beast. He covered the whole field on that play. And he tried to hold up but there was no possible way at the speed he was moving. Also Hoyer was no where close to the sideline and was clearly going for as many yards as he could get. Brady would have stopped as soon as he had the first down.

It is a dumb rule. If he has just been tackled nobody would have gotten hurt.

A sport that is not worried about what people like you think about the color pink and want to try to bring in more female viewership?

All those concepts are great...so basically you want all QBs to never escape the pocket or run for the first down.

people like me? you mean those that already support charity, and did so before colors or ribbons asked us to? appreciate your support of my support... we do donate annually to multiple entities, but that isn't the point.

this thread states the slide rule is stupid and why, both my opinion whether or not anyone cares or agrees. if you feel pink flags help the cause, I'm ok with that, however I'd be more impressed with a more visible act like both teams walking stacks of 100's out to some acrylic box midfield, and visibly stuffing it while hugging kids etc... as a token effort, that is way more moving than flags that are kinda hard to see... and from a fan base angle, why not have the cheerleaders out there showing off what the cause aims to save... that will add viewers

my opinion that the rule is stupid is backed up by hoyers injury last night, and its not a mental moonshot to see I have directly linked that rule to a risk to a player's career... it did not protect him, it led to hurting him. yes, my opinion at a min, or clear fact if you're on board.

your other point, I'm all for QB's who can leave the pocket all they want, let's ditch the fake protection and stupidity of the slide and we're back to football, a sport where the guy with the ball is likely to be tackled or hit or blown up. perhaps it's more of a smear the queer approach, but back in the day the ball carrier assumed risk, not the protection of a virtual skirt

people like me? you mean those that already support charity, and did so before colors or ribbons asked us to? appreciate your support of my support... we do donate annually to multiple entities, but that isn't the point.

this thread states the slide rule is stupid and why, both my opinion whether or not anyone cares or agrees. if you feel pink flags help the cause, I'm ok with that, however I'd be more impressed with a more visible act like both teams walking stacks of 100's out to some acrylic box midfield, and visibly stuffing it while hugging kids etc... as a token effort, that is way more moving than flags that are kinda hard to see... and from a fan base angle, why not have the cheerleaders out there showing off what the cause aims to save... that will add viewers

my opinion that the rule is stupid is backed up by hoyers injury last night, and its not a mental moonshot to see I have directly linked that rule to a risk to a player's career... it did not protect him, it led to hurting him. yes, my opinion at a min, or clear fact if you're on board.

your other point, I'm all for QB's who can leave the pocket all they want, let's ditch the fake protection and stupidity of the slide and we're back to football, a sport where the guy with the ball is likely to be tackled or hit or blown up. perhaps it's more of a smear the queer approach, but back in the day the ball carrier assumed risk, not the protection of a virtual skirt

Yes...people like you who whine about a professional sport using pink flags.

And I did not question your support...glad you do. I do as well since I have had several relatives who are breast cancer survivors. Then again, the color pink is more than just for breast cancer to me as a charity I run for uses it in their support of families and kids with Neuroblastoma.

The rule is not the problem.

The rule is there to give QBs a safer way to give themselves up without being hit.

Pink flags have nothing to do with that...you brought them up to laugh at them for no reason.

The rule did not hurt Hoyer last night...his piss poor attempt to slide...while also trying to gain extra yards like a moron rather than running to the sideline which was easily an option for him...is what hurt him...(also waiting til the last minute to try that piss poor slide which had him getting hit at the same time.

But your last sentence makes no sense...you want to take out a rule claiming it is why Hoyer got hurt...then claim that we should ditch this protection and get back to "football" that you consider real.

Pretty odd really.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=331003005

Kiko Alonso is a beast. He covered the whole field on that play. And he tried to hold up but there was no possible way at the speed he was moving. Also Hoyer was no where close to the sideline and was clearly going for as many yards as he could get. Brady would have stopped as soon as he had the first down.

It is a dumb rule. If he has just been tackled nobody would have gotten hurt.

root cause is the guy that lit the match, not the fire that resulted..

the concept that QB's are protected as a ball carrier and can't be hit in some situations is the guy that lit the match... remove the rule, there is no slide that created an awkward position, no awkward position where your failed slide puts your legs in weird arrangements, and subsequently no blown knee as shown, from the hit, whether it was a spear or not (which it clearly was)...

the concept of sliding safely is the root of this issue, it is what started the fire, it led to a career threatening injury, it resulted in the player being hurt, not 'protected' as the rule wanted. poor decision to run it by Hoyer, maybe... horrid slide on every count... maybe... would have never happened like this in the pre slide era, clearly.

maybe the headhunter tackle would have hurt him anyways, or maybe he is still on his feet and avoids the headshot entirely because he's not encouraged to give up via the slide rule. this we'll never know as its hypothetical. what's real is he slid and got blasted and hurt and we can all sit and argue all day long and it won't rebuild some dudes knee that was hurt during a slide.

As a Bills fan, I thought for sure there'd be more blaming of Kiko Alonso. However, hard to fault a guy for wanting to hit the QB and Hoyer clearly did not judge the speed / area of the oncomer. I have a hard time blaming Alonso for the "head spear" as I have no idea how a guy is supposed to tackle low if he doesn't put his head down to do it. Trip the offensive player?

Usually if a Drew Brees slides, it's nice and early and a defender would clearly be doing wrong by diving at him. On the other hand, I always wonder why someone like that doesn't fake slide and just keep running. There are times when it is definitely possible as the defenders give up on the assumption of a slide.

I've seen in the past couple weeks where WRs now just go down - no one touches them - and the play is apparently over. I have no idea why they don't get up and start running anymore or why a defender doesn't pick up the ball when the WR lets go of it (after the catch).

Or how you're supposed to defend the pass when it's en route to a WR? Just let them catch it? Two-hand touch them down? No idea.

EJ Manuel's injury was def his own fault for not going out of bounds. 1 or 2 yards is not worth a season or career for the QB position.

The only other jerk/blame I have is for the defender who was taunting Manuel while he was on the ground holding his knee... and the cheering fans, though that now seems to happen in every sport.

Yes...people like you who whine about a professional sport using pink flags.

And I did not question your support...glad you do. I do as well since I have had several relatives who are breast cancer survivors. Then again, the color pink is more than just for breast cancer to me as a charity I run for uses it in their support of families and kids with Neuroblastoma.

The rule is not the problem.

The rule is there to give QBs a safer way to give themselves up without being hit.

Pink flags have nothing to do with that...you brought them up to laugh at them for no reason.

The rule did not hurt Hoyer last night...his piss poor attempt to slide...while also trying to gain extra yards like a moron rather than running to the sideline which was easily an option for him...is what hurt him...(also waiting til the last minute to try that piss poor slide which had him getting hit at the same time.

But your last sentence makes no sense...you want to take out a rule claiming it is why Hoyer got hurt...then claim that we should ditch this protection and get back to "football" that you consider real.

Pretty odd really.

remove the rule, the slide doesn't occur, where did I lose you? let's just disagree then, I'm not interested in a web base measuring contest.

As a Bills fan, I thought for sure there'd be more blaming of Kiko Alonso. However, hard to fault a guy for wanting to hit the QB and Hoyer clearly did not judge the speed / area of the oncomer. I have a hard time blaming Alonso for the "head spear" as I have no idea how a guy is supposed to tackle low if he doesn't put his head down to do it. Trip the offensive player?

Usually if a Drew Brees slides, it's nice and early and a defender would clearly be doing wrong by diving at him. On the other hand, I always wonder why someone like that doesn't fake slide and just keep running. There are times when it is definitely possible as the defenders give up on the assumption of a slide.

I've seen in the past couple weeks where WRs now just go down - no one touches them - and the play is apparently over. I have no idea why they don't get up and start running anymore or why a defender doesn't pick up the ball when the WR lets go of it (after the catch).

Or how you're supposed to defend the pass when it's en route to a WR? Just let them catch it? Two-hand touch them down? No idea.

EJ Manuel's injury was def his own fault for not going out of bounds. 1 or 2 yards is not worth a season or career for the QB position.

The only other jerk/blame I have is for the defender who was taunting Manuel while he was on the ground holding his knee... and the cheering fans, though that now seems to happen in every sport.

The refs rule the play dead when the player gives themselves up by sliding. If they faked the slide, the refs would blow the play dead.

remove the rule, the slide doesn't occur, where did I lose you? let's just disagree then, I'm not interested in a web base measuring contest.

Remove the rule...you have more guys diving at first downs and getting hit even more...likely leading to more injury (which is why the rule started in the first place).

Keep up the effort though in showing you don't have much of a clue about football or the NFL.

So what is your alternative? Force QBs to take hits every time they run the ball and eventually eliminating all QB running from the game? There is nothing wrong with the slide rule, it provides a way for QBs to say ok I'm done advancing the ball, you don't have to knock my helmet off. The only reason he got hurt was because his slide sucked, and I'm not saying I don't feel bad for the guy I do, its a freak accident, but I'm sure even he would tell you his slide sucked.

so after thousands of QB slides over the years, this one dude slides late, gets hit, and unfortunately hurts his knee

change the rule!!!!

:doh:

supporting data is that the rule is still in effect.

simple question asking if you had data to back up your claim... you don't, so question answered

Remove the rule...you have more guys diving at first downs and getting hit even more...likely leading to more injury (which is why the rule started in the first place).

Keep up the effort though in showing you don't have much of a clue about football or the NFL.

thanks for your opinions, I'm sure they're a huge contribution.

So what is your alternative? Force QBs to take hits every time they run the ball and eventually eliminating all QB running from the game? There is nothing wrong with the slide rule, it provides a way for QBs to say ok I'm done advancing the ball, you don't have to knock my helmet off. The only reason he got hurt was because his slide sucked, and I'm not saying I don't feel bad for the guy I do, its a freak accident, but I'm sure even he would tell you his slide sucked.

football is a contact sport, if you don't want to meet bubba at full speed, don't take off running with the rock.. if the QB can't take a hit, maybe something with a clipboard is a better fit. I'd rather see the quarterback treated the same as his peers, not allocated some status where he gets to run but not get hit... seems like this has been said already..