Sign in to follow this  
Phurfur

New York school bans balls, tag during recess

Tossing a ball or playing a game of tag has long been a rite of passage at schoolyards across the country, but one New York school has banned those activities and more.

Officials at Weber Middle School in Port Washington, Long Island, have instituted a ban on footballs, baseballs, games of rough tag or even cartwheels unless supervised by an adult or a coach, according to Newsday. The kids are allowed to play with foam Nerf balls during 20-minute recess periods, according to the paper.

Port Washington Schools Superintendent Kathleen Mooney's declined to comment, but referred queries to a a statement from the district. The district is nearing the end of a construction project at the middle school, the statement said, and because of the project, "there is limited space for the students to enjoy a 20-minute recess period."

With children so near one another, "it is not safe for them to be engaged in unstructured play with hard balls," the statement said. "Absent the confined space within which recess must temporarily be held, such restrictions would not be necessary."

Students, perhaps unsurprisingly, were not thrilled by the news.

Thats all we want to do, one student said told CBS New York. Were in school all day sitting behind the desk learning.

Another student characterized the ban as ridiculous while another said recess should be treated as free time.

Parents, meanwhile, said they believed the change in policy is more about avoiding lawsuits.

Childrens safety is paramount, but at the same time, you have to let them live life, said parent Ellen Cohen.

Several nearby school districts have already contacted Nassau County educators, indicating the trend may spread. Softer foam balls, district officials say, will decrease the chances of injury during recess.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/09/new-york-school-reportedly-bans-balls-tag-during-recess/?intcmp=latestnews

"there is limited space for the students to enjoy a 20-minute recess period."

With children so near one another, "it is not safe for them to be engaged in unstructured play with hard balls," the statement said. "Absent the confined space within which recess must temporarily be held, such restrictions would not be necessary."

The district reported that middle school students still are able to participate in structured activities with hard balls during gym and intramural athletics.

So what?

Oh no...schools actually trying to be responsible for their kids...phurfur just had to post it (from foxnews of course) making it sound from the title that they just banned those things for no reason and they would stay banned.

You want bias...look at the title of the article.

Seems like a reasonable thing to do.

In other news my daughter wears her seat belt in the back seat.

Seems like a reasonable thing to do.

In other news my daughter wears her seat belt in the back seat.

Put it on fox news with a headline like: "Man restrains daughter" with some faux outrage and phurf will be all over it.

No need for kids to blow off steam during recess anymore. We have meds for that these days. :rolleyes:

Kids hate recess now. They are starting to hate gym. In my son's middle school, they have started to take away the running out to the field for the semi-monthly gym class that they have.

We had Generation X and Generation Y. These kids are part of Generation XBox.

So, phurfur...have any actual opinion on this? Or just another hit and run cut and paste job of a faux outrage article?

I miss the days when kids could run around throwing hammers at each other in a construction site and nobody gave a sh1t.

"The page you are looking for has either moved or is no longer available, but you may be interested in the content below."

Put it on fox news with a headline like: "Man restrains daughter" with some faux outrage and phurf will be all over it.

Ding ding ding. Winner winner chicken dinner.

And don't be surprised if FauxNews gets ahold of it in a few days and does just that. Always funny to see the Fox lemmings fall for it and start frothing about the demise of the once-great country. Bwahahahaha

I miss the days when kids could run around throwing hammers at each other in a construction site and nobody gave a sh1t.

Your helmet headed kid would have an unfair advantage.

Your helmet headed kid would have an unfair advantage.

How would a kid with a large head have an advantage in a hammer throwing game? This must be one of those jokes that only makes sense if you're a plumber with a GED.

How would a kid with a large head have an advantage in a hammer throwing game? This must be one of those jokes that only makes sense if you're a plumber with a GED.

Because your kid is Rocky Dennis and the hammer would just bounce off that melon.

The focking helmet ya farkin meathead.

Geez what an imbecile, there should be a law against letting tards like you reproduce. :doh:

Yes, this country is in great shape :doh:

Doomsday!!! Doomsday!!! Please show me a post of you complaining when Bush was driving it into the ground. I'll wait, Cumguzzler.

Geez what an imbecile, there should be a law against letting tards like you reproduce. :doh:

MDC Mathews shoulda stayed in the closet today.

So, phurfur...have any actual opinion on this? Or just another hit and run cut and paste job of a faux outrage article?

Bump for phurfur...I know my quote is not from foxnews so you probably won't read it...but give it a try.

Tilt!

:thumbsup:

Multiple national news outlets reporting on a temporary ban from one school on hard balls at recess due to space restrictions resulting from A construction project. That's definitely a tilt all right.

Multiple national news outlets reporting on a temporary ban from one school on hard balls at recess due to space restrictions resulting from construction project. That's definitely a tilt all right.

Of course it is...but you know...Fox is never inaccurate (that title is 100% not misleading at all right).

Sorry, I leave it to fat plumbers with no college education to figure out how to win a hammer fight. I'm too busy winning threads and the game of life. :bandana:

Brought to you by the Fox News Mock-Outrage Generator

As always feel free to prove any of my link inaccurate.

As always feel free to prove any of my link inaccurate.

Read my post...the title is misleading to make it sound like they just banned things forever...but you won't answer to that will you?

Multiple national news outlets reporting on a temporary ban from one school on hard balls at recess due to space restrictions resulting from A construction project. That's definitely a tilt all right.

From the OP

Several nearby school districts have already contacted Nassau County educators, indicating the trend may spread. Softer foam balls, district officials say, will decrease the chances of injury during recess.

Read my post...the title is misleading to make it sound like they just banned things forever...but you won't answer to that will you?

You don't get how things work do you. NUDGE

Please let me know when this rule is rescinded.

Do kids today not know how to yell "HEADS UP!"? :dunno:

You don't get how things work do you. NUDGE

That they "may" do something.

This one did it temporarily because of constraction...the middle school did nothing.

But you keep trying.

Leinenkugles

I missed "forever" in the thread title.

We played maul ball and dodge ball during recess. The teachers would huddle in a group and smoke. The 70's makes heads explode.

We played maul ball and dodge ball during recess. The teachers would huddle in a group and smoke. The 70's makes heads explode.

Maul ball? Is that like smear the kweer? We used to play tackle football on the blacktop. Aside from a few scrapes and bruises nobody ever got hurt.

That was smear the queer. We started playing that after cowboys and indians became passe. :lol:

That they "may" do something.

This one did it temporarily because of constraction...the middle school did nothing.

But you keep trying.

Leinenkugles

:banana: NUDGE...................Are you starting to figure it out yet?

New Hampshire school bans students from playing 'tag'
Published October 11, 2013
FoxNews.com

NASHUA, N.H. – An elementary school in Nashua has reminded parents and students that playing "tag" violates the school's longtime "no contact" rule for recess games.

Charlotte Avenue Elementary School Principal Patricia Beaulieu posted a letter on the school's website last week informing parents of the school's safety policies. In the letter, she said while "tag" may seem innocent enough, it has been banned in many schools because of injuries.

She told the Telegraph of Nashua that several concussions, a broken wrist and other injuries prompted her to post the letter, and she emphasized that while she wants children to run, jump and play, it has to be in a safe way.

"I went into fifth-grade lunch and I was talking to all the fifth graders, and I said, 'Raise your hand if you've ever been pushed aggressively while playing tag.' Most of them raised their hands," she told the paper.

Not all parents are happy.

Bill Chisholm, the father of a fourth grader, said the rules are unnecessary.

"To ban tag is just ridiculous; it's a simple game," Chisholm told the Telegraph. "They say the kids are overly aggressive — take the overly aggressive kids out of the game."

"No parent wants to minimize the injury of a child; however, there isn't a single childhood activity that any kid could participate in that doesn't have the risk of injury," he said.

Playground policies are determined primarily by school principals and can vary from school to school.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/11/new-hampshire-school-tells-parents-that-rules-ban-tag/?intcmp=latestnews

:banana: NUDGE

Looks like the school reacted appropriately to several severe injuries to kids in their school not knowing how to play tag very well.

But its great that you again find an article that is not the same as the other schools...that is not related to what the others did, but is a different example from somewhere else.

And still good that you have done nothing to actually show your opinion...just posting another foxnews article.

Looks like the school reacted appropriately to several severe injuries to kids in their school not knowing how to play tag very well.

But its great that you again find an article that is not the same as the other schools...that is not related to what the others did, but is a different example from somewhere else.

And still good that you have done nothing to actually show your opinion...just posting another foxnews article.

:lol: Some people will never get it, I guess you are one of them.

Ignorance is bliss.

:lol: Some people will never get it, I guess you are one of them.

Ignorance is bliss.

No...I get it...you are a paranoid freak that jumps from one article to another...connects them to mean something...when one was doing a temporary ban because of construction...the other a reaction to their own kids getting seriously injurred.

That and you do little more than posting cut and paste articles and don't give an actual opinion on the content

Pabst Blue Ribbon

No...I get it...you are a paranoid freak that jumps from one article to another...connects them to mean something...when one was doing a temporary ban because of construction...the other a reaction to their own kids getting seriously injurred.

That and you do little more than posting cut and paste articles and don't give an actual opinion on the content

Pabst Blue Ribbon

Small minds can only focus on individual incidents and are not able to look at the big picture. That would be you. I suggest you read the book NUDGE by Cass Sunstein so you can understand the concept and then you can stop making such an ass of yourself.