Sign in to follow this  
R8RMick

Mike James marching and chowder bandwagon here...

So... invested heavily in the Doug Martin hype this season, but hedged the bet by having Mike James on my taxi squad. Obviously there is some potential for dividends here, given the situation. I mean it couldn't get very much worse than what Martin was putting up, right?

The kid has some physical tools, most glaring is good size and strength. He lists 5-11 223, and handled the bench press at the combine 28 times. This bested bigger names such as Laveon Bell, Montee Ball, Christine Michael, and Gio Bernard. He runs inside effectively, is difficult to bring down, and never stops moving his legs. Anybody who watched him convert that 4th and 1 at the Falcons 3 yard line can attest the man will move the pile. He has solid lower body power, runs north and south decisively, and shows good vision. I see a slightly faster version of Alfred Morris potentially.

Most obvious weakness is lack of true speed, and ability to break off big runs. But he has better quickness than his 4.53 40 time, which by the way matched Gio Bernard's time.

Talented receiver out of the backfield, has good hands and moves, nice stiff arm. James had 30 catches for 3 TD's in his senior season at The U. Good blocker, won't get your quarterback killed. Proof of that being his block on Desmond Trufant which gave Glennon time to hit Vincent Jackson on that first touchdown strike.

The kid is a football player, and just has a willingness to be on the field. He's played fullback and special teams, having said before the combine, "“I love playing special teams. I love dominating the guy in front of me. I just want to be on the field whether it is as a fullback, tailback or special teams.” Highly touted out of HS, but never got a chance to break early out at The U, performing FB and KR duties and then as a junior backed up Lamar Miller. Interesting to note he still had 7 receiving TD's that year, which affirms his abilities out of the backfield. As a senior he split duties with true freshman Duke Johnson, but still managed 600 yds rushing with 6 TD's and 300 yds receiving with 3 TD's. So the school is still out on whether he can shoulder the load of a primary back.

What I like is the kid's toughness and character. He never missed a game in his college career, and could've folded up shop after his mother was killed in a tragic car accident in 2010. Something like that would be difficult to come back from, and lend one to put football in its proper perspective. This kid has some serious character.

Of course wildcard is the situation, a team in turmoil with fellow rookie at quarterback and a clueless head coach.But looking at Mike James the football player and person, I'd definitely roll the dice.

So... invested heavily in the Doug Martin hype this season, but hedged the bet by having Mike James on my taxi squad. Obviously there is some potential for dividends here, given the situation. I mean it couldn't get very much worse than what Martin was putting up, right?

The kid has some physical tools, most glaring is good size and strength. He lists 5-11 223, and handled the bench press at the combine 28 times. This bested bigger names such as Laveon Bell, Montee Ball, Christine Michael, and Gio Bernard. He runs inside effectively, is difficult to bring down, and never stops moving his legs. Anybody who watched him convert that 4th and 1 at the Falcons 3 yard line can attest the man will move the pile. He has solid lower body power, runs north and south decisively, and shows good vision. I see a slightly faster version of Alfred Morris potentially.

Most obvious weakness is lack of true speed, and ability to break off big runs. But he has better quickness than his 4.53 40 time, which by the way matched Gio Bernard's time.

Talented receiver out of the backfield, has good hands and moves, nice stiff arm. James had 30 catches for 3 TD's in his senior season at The U. Good blocker, won't get your quarterback killed. Proof of that being his block on Desmond Trufant which gave Glennon time to hit Vincent Jackson on that first touchdown strike.

The kid is a football player, and just has a willingness to be on the field. He's played fullback and special teams, having said before the combine, "“I love playing special teams. I love dominating the guy in front of me. I just want to be on the field whether it is as a fullback, tailback or special teams.” Highly touted out of HS, but never got a chance to break early out at The U, performing FB and KR duties and then as a junior backed up Lamar Miller. Interesting to note he still had 7 receiving TD's that year, which affirms his abilities out of the backfield. As a senior he split duties with true freshman Duke Johnson, but still managed 600 yds rushing with 6 TD's and 300 yds receiving with 3 TD's. So the school is still out on whether he can shoulder the load of a primary back.

What I like is the kid's toughness and character. He never missed a game in his college career, and could've folded up shop after his mother was killed in a tragic car accident in 2010. Something like that would be difficult to come back from, and lend one to put football in its proper perspective. This kid has some serious character.

Of course wildcard is the situation, a team in turmoil with fellow rookie at quarterback and a clueless head coach.But looking at Mike James the football player and person, I'd definitely roll the dice.

Finally a post that brings good insight and information that we can all use as opposed to all the T-Rich and Megatron crap we've been dealing with the last 2 weeks. Good job buddy..... I'm going to place a bid.

Both position needs equal, who is the better waiver acquisition...Mike James or Jordan Reed?

Aside from Garcon, Reed may be the best receiving target on that team. With Washington committed to letting RGIII run more, I think his value only goes up. Had him earlier in the season and regret dropping him.

Will Mike James be the every down back? According to snap counts, Brian Leonard has been getting just as many to spell Martin. It might be a situation where James gets early downs and Leonard is the third down back. Plus Schiano has a hard-on for former Rutgers players.

Meh. With time to prepare and not just in emergency situation I think we see more of a RBBC going forward. James leads that group, but its still the Bucs. Its still Glennon at QB. I'll be putting in a bid, but I sure as hell ain't breaking the bank. Zac Stacy type numbers is a ceiling if you ask me.

Respectfully, I can't see a 29 year old journeyman like Brian Leonard forcing a committee. Personally I like the guy, and he's a rock on special teams, but truthfully his one claim to fame was beating out Dee Dee Dorsey in Cincinnati on HBO's Hard Knocks. I see a situation where James probably gets Martin's load, with Leonard straight spelling him, not just on third downs.

One thing you said, "it's still the Bucs..." I am flabbergasted at how this thing turned, especially with a defensive secondary and offensive line so highly touted in preseason. This is STILL a good team, the secondary a respectable 16th against the pass and the O-line is probably still in the upper half of NFL offensive lines, even with the loss of Nicks. The problem with the Bucs is leadership, and I can't believe their coach still has a job.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen them pass on 1st and 10. It's been a frustrating year being a Martin owner.

One thing you said, "it's still the Bucs..." I am flabbergasted at how this thing turned, especially with a defensive secondary and offensive line so highly touted in preseason. This is STILL a good team, the secondary a respectable 16th against the pass and the O-line is probably still in the upper half of NFL offensive lines, even with the loss of Nicks. The problem with the Bucs is leadership, and I can't believe their coach still has a job.

Not really sure how you can say this is STILL a good team when they've never proven to be one. It's all been potential in TB.

Aside from that, my concern is when you have a coaching staff fearing for their jobs, they have little patience with player development. Changes are made quickly and often. A fumble or missed assignment will get you a long rest on the bench.

Pair that with a young QB who has a long way to go, and I don't see Tampa as a good spot for any RB in whom they don't have substantial investment.

Add in their remaining schedule (defense rank vs run)

Carolina x 2 (#2)

Atlanta (#8)

Miami (#9)

Seattle (#10)

NO (#13)

SF (#21)

Detroit (#24)

Buffalo (#29)

That's 5 games vs defenses in the top 10 vs the run ( 6 vs the top 13).

To be fair, the upside may be that the 3 worst he faces (based on current stats) come during FF playoff time.

Like somebody else said, if he's there, great. But I wouldn't spend or expect much.

Appreciate the write-up, that said I have no choice. Been saving #1 WW, this looks to be it.

Fingers crossed.

Maybe the Bucs DEF is a candidate for #1 DEF next season if there's a head coach change. They resemble the Chiefs of last season in that they have good players, but poor leadership.

Respectfully, I can't see a 29 year old journeyman like Brian Leonard forcing a committee. Personally I like the guy, and he's a rock on special teams, but truthfully his one claim to fame was beating out Dee Dee Dorsey in Cincinnati on HBO's Hard Knocks. I see a situation where James probably gets Martin's load, with Leonard straight spelling him, not just on third downs.

Giants were touted as SB contenders preseason. You can't hang on to stuff like that close o half way into the season. So much parity, so many variables that dictate the success or lack thereof for any given team. Look at the jets sitting at 4-3.

Not really sure how you can say this is STILL a good team when they've never proven to be one. It's all been potential in TB.

Aside from that, my concern is when you have a coaching staff fearing for their jobs, they have little patience with player development. Changes are made quickly and often. A fumble or missed assignment will get you a long rest on the bench.

Pair that with a young QB who has a long way to go, and I don't see Tampa as a good spot for any RB in whom they don't have substantial investment.

Add in their remaining schedule (defense rank vs run)

Carolina x 2 (#2)

Atlanta (#8)

Miami (#9)

Seattle (#10)

NO (#13)

SF (#21)

Detroit (#24)

Buffalo (#29)

That's 5 games vs defenses in the top 10 vs the run ( 6 vs the top 13).

To be fair, the upside may be that the 3 worst he faces (based on current stats) come during FF playoff time.

Like somebody else said, if he's there, great. But I wouldn't spend or expect much.

Well I suppose I'm still a little shell-shocked from the Super Bowl XXXVII Pirate Bowl lol, but I digress... Seriously, at 7-9 in 2012, and with the additions of Vincent Jackson and Carl Nicks, one could reasonably expect success. Especially on defense with the signing of Revis and a run defense which finished first last season. But again, I digress.

Your point on the schedule is well noted, but I still believe in that offensive line. And for all of Schiano's faults he has committed to using his lead back in this offense. The wildcard is Glennon, and if he can play at a passable level. Probably not.

As for "leadership," who can overlook Schiano ordering his defense to continue aggressively attacking the offense as the quarterback was taking a knee to end the Giants game last year? Not to say what quality of coach goes through an entire off-season, a summer training camp, then a four game pre-season without foreseeing the serious problems which occurred at the starting quarterback position? I mean, my God! He CUT his starting QB weeks into the season! They were playing for next year that moment on.

Thanks for info may be speculative grab with Powell now in RBBCor not in mix and wtf with Rice.

Appreciate advice

Looks like they're bringing in Bobby Rainey as well.

Yea I hope it's just for depth, makes James less attractive but here's to hoping it's not a full blown RBBC.

He's pretty much got Barry Sanders moves and Marshall Faulk's hands and field vision in Christian Okoye's body so I'd pick him up NOW.

LOL at the hype. I've seen him play at UM and the first word that comes to mind is "ordinary". He was Lamar Miller's backup for a reason. Not only that but his situation is awful. A winless team that will be playing from behind and has tough schedule. Pick him up and trade him to the Doug Martin owner because there is no long term value here.

LOL at the hype. I've seen him play at UM and the first word that comes to mind is "ordinary". He was Lamar Miller's backup for a reason. Not only that but his situation is awful. A winless team that will be playing from behind and has tough schedule. Pick him up and trade him to the Doug Martin owner because there is no long term value here.

There's no hype. It's one dude using a lot of words to make a case based on who we thought the bucs were in the preseason. Martin couldnt get going, this guy suddenly going to be relevant??? Move along...

One thing to point out is that despite his bigger size, Mike James is actually a pretty good pass catcher. I know they said Leonard will play on 3rd down (he's the better pass blocker), but I think James may get his fare share of checkdowns and screens on 1st and 2nd downs. James had 30 catches last year. In a college season, that is pretty many. For example, Ray Rice had 25 catches and Lesean McCoy had 32 catches in their respective last seasons of college. For those in PPR leagues, it's something worth noting. James faces some tough run defenses, but he may still provide some value through the passing game.

There's no hype. It's one dude using a lot of words to make a case based on who we thought the bucs were in the preseason. Martin couldnt get going, this guy suddenly going to be relevant??? Move along...

Make a case for what? Lol... Just did some homework on the guy and wanted to share the data. I've gotten some good stuff here, appreciated it and figured what the heck. People will make their own informed decisions, I mean you pays your money you takes your choice right?

One thing to point out is that despite his bigger size, Mike James is actually a pretty good pass catcher. I know they said Leonard will play on 3rd down (he's the better pass blocker), but I think James may get his fare share of checkdowns and screens on 1st and 2nd downs. James had 30 catches last year. In a college season, that is pretty many. For example, Ray Rice had 25 catches and Lesean McCoy had 32 catches in their respective last seasons of college. For those in PPR leagues, it's something worth noting. James faces some tough run defenses, but he may still provide some value through the passing game.

Don't ever compare Ray Rice and LeSean McCoy to this scrub... You're asking for trouble by doing this. Regardless of how small or insignificant the comparison be.

Make a case for what? Lol... Just did some homework on the guy and wanted to share the data. I've gotten some good stuff here, appreciated it and figured what the heck. People will make their own informed decisions, I mean you pays your money you takes your choice right?

Read your original post, you're trying hard to make a case, not just state facts. I ain't mad at you, the post is better than 90% of the drivel posted here, but at TE end of the day you're making a case for a dude that has very little chance of doing anything. I do appreciate the analysis even if I completely disagree with your assessment...

i think at best you're looking at 50 total yards with 1 TD inside the 5 yard line if he's lucky enough to see the offense that close to the end zone. He's just not that good guys. Stats are great and all but when you actually WATCH him play then you can form a better assumption. I don't think he remains starter for long just based on his talent and experience.

Unfortunately there's no correlation to excellent characters and fantasy points.