Sign in to follow this  
nobody

myfantasyleague is terrible

The interface is terrible. It feels like people who've never used a computer designed it. Want to to see waiver wire order? Sure just go look under rules->players->my players->transactions->league->free agent settings.

Don't even try to diverge from the canned waiver packages. You probably think a waiver period means waivers should process when waivers ends. Not on this site. They even made up another name for picking up free agents. First come first serve waivers. That doesn't even make sense. A waiver pick by definition isn't first come first serve. And how is it different from a normal free agent pickup? Who the rock knows.

Now all that is bad, and there's plenty of other stuff like the thousand news blogs all telling you jermichael Finley had an MRI or the terrible projections, or the draft room that only works on a third of the browsers out there, but now they're plopping ads on their site too.

I'm never using that site again. The only reason we stayed there was to keep our history. I'm not paying for a site to look at ads.

Sounds like you just have no clue what you are doing. You would be much better using one of the cookie cutter websites with no customization.

We've been using this site for years and swear by it. WELL worth the money. It probably is geared more towards auction/keeper though.

I felt the same way you did last year Nobody. Over time I've come to understand/tolerate the clunky UI and the hard to navigate menus. I still do not care for the layout but the customizations and commish abilities are what separate MFL from the free sites.

Considering the awful redesign of Yahoo this year MFL begins to almost look comely.

We moved to MFL this year and I was really surprised by the horrible interface. The fact that they handle customization doesn't give then a free pass on their site design.

MFL has the best dynasty & keeper league sites available. I highly doubt you will convince any seasoned fantasy football veteran otherwise. Nearly all my leagues are housed there and I wouldn't change it for anything. It takes a full season to get use to the UI, but once you have the hang of it, the customization options are limitless.

We moved to MFL this year and I was really surprised by the horrible interface. The fact that they handle customization doesn't give then a free pass on their site design.

If you don't like their site, you have the option of moving to some other site. RTsports isn't bad, and the UI is simple, but there are seriously limited options and most people that are serious about their fantasy football don't want a cookie cutter website. MFL is NOT that difficult to use. I'm pretty shocked there are even two people that think it is..... All the options make it seem more complicated than it truly is, but isn't that what you want, options?

Been using MFL since they started hosting, even remember the two , Kevin and Chris that were in charge of the whole show at that time.

So Im pretty familiar with all the ins and outs, and understand why someone new to MFL could get frustrated, until you learn your way around and figure out the navigation shortcuts.

One easy way to eliminate the nav menu, is to have the commish just set up "league links" to all the most frequented areas, and put it right on your home page.

I have 3 leagues hosted with MFL, and would never move them.

http://www19.myfantasyleague.com/2013/home/25504#0

http://www30.myfantasyleague.com/2013/home/35783#0

http://www16.myfantasyleague.com/2013/home/10942#0

I got involved in 3 dynasty leagues with FFT vets this year on MFL (2 start-ups & 1 team inherited). Initially I didn't like the site but I've grown to enjoy it since it's dynasty options are second to none. All 3 leagues have a different look to their setup so the customization is great.

I play in several other leagues on ESPN & Yahoo. Don't have any personal beef with either of these sites. The only site I've had issues with was CBS. Would constantly lock up on me & was way clunkier than what the MFL site looks like.

I got involved in 3 dynasty leagues with FFT vets this year on MFL (2 start-ups & 1 team inherited). Initially I didn't like the site but I've grown to enjoy it since it's dynasty options are second to none. All 3 leagues have a different look to their setup so the customization is great.

I play in several other leagues on ESPN & Yahoo. Don't have any personal beef with either of these sites. The only site I've had issues with was CBS. Would constantly lock up on me & was way clunkier than what the MFL site looks like.

CBS is geared toward the lowest common denominator. I used it and RT Sports for years and vastly preferred RT Sports. I used myffl years ago and it was fine, love the customizations and it's specifically geared toward long term, keeper and dynasty leagues. Like you, I like idea of having each of my leagues have a different look and feel.

With my home pc down I have been forced to play almost all of this entire season on my wife's kindle. MFL + touchscreen = me in a murderous rage around waiver time. I can't put in a waiver claim without it showing up 18 times in the list.

I disagree. It's a great site if you want a customizable league. But if you're going with the cookie cutter options then, yeah, Yahoo is better.

How do you guys do waivers. Do you try to set it up yourself? Because all I here about is the awesome customization and every time I want to set up a waiver period from the start of the players game until midnight Tuesday, everything gets jacked up.

Yeah I may not know what I'm doing. I'm only an electrical engineer by trade, so I might not be techinnically savvy enough to figure it out.

It doesn't seem that customizable though. I "kind of" have it doing what I want, but it still won't process waivers automatically at the end of the waiver period, and there's a checkbox that says "process waivers automaticallly" and you know what that does? It processes them the second you put in your waiver request... awesome. Because yeah I went to the trouble of scheduling a waiver period so I could make a glorified first come first serve free agency period.

With my home pc down I have been forced to play almost all of this entire season on my wife's kindle. MFL + touchscreen = me in a murderous rage around waiver time. I can't put in a waiver claim without it showing up 18 times in the list.

Yeah don't try to do on mobile devices, and that's actually what my beef is. They started putting up ads on the mobile devices even though we're paying for this trash.

I disagree. It's a great site if you want a customizable league. But if you're going with the cookie cutter options then, yeah, Yahoo is better.

I prefer RTsports for the cookie cutter league. Have you tried them? I started with the Yahoo Leagues, but got frustrated when their site would go down from time to time. For whatever reason, most of the guys in my league weren't getting their mail either, even though they were using Yahoo accounts. They always went to spam. Not much of an issue for someone that checks their spam folder, but for those that didn't, it was a league wide -fest. I have one keeper league still at Yahoo and the guys will never switch. Simply because they are use to the site and it's about as easy to use as you can get. I talked them into looking at MFL this past offseason, but I think all the "extras" scared them. It can be overwhelming, but it's nice to get all your news and everything in one place. Once you have the site set up the way you want, it's a one stop fantasy shop.

Another sh!tty thing about the site is commissioners can see who everyone in the league put in waiver claims for and who has what trade offers out to whom.

You ever wonder why your commish always seems to snake guys from you on the waiver wire, but waits until free agency for guys you don't want. It's because if you go to the process waiver page before waivers are processed, you can see every teams claims.

Same thing for trades, you can go look at who has offers out to other teams and what the offers are.

Terrible site.

Another sh!tty thing about the site is commissioners can see who everyone in the league put in waiver claims for and who has what trade offers out to whom.

Not if the Commish checks the button to turn off the ability to see those. It's called Commish Lockout under Abilities.

A very simple solution, as is setting up a waivers starting and ending time.

Agree, MFL takes a little getting used to... and can be early 1990's / clunky looking - if your commish puts in zero effort.

If effort is an issue, then just pick another site...?

My site: http://www30.myfantasyleague.com/2013/home/41148

9 years ago, I taught myself how to use photoshop for the sole purpose of being able to post something worthy in this thread:

http://forums.myfantasyleague.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6330

:thumbsup:

We left because we had too many glitches with the waivers system.

Not if the Commish checks the button to turn off the ability to see those. It's called Commish Lockout under Abilities.

A very simple solution, as is setting up a waivers starting and ending time.

Yeah, but can you trust your commish to not look? Can everyone?

Also, that's bullsh¡t that waivers is simple to setup. Not only have I spent at least 10 hours trying to get it to do what I want, and still can't, it's the most asked about feature on the website by far. That's objectively not simple. And I'm not a dumbass. Like I mentioned, I'm an engineer, and I write a lot of software. If I wrote that software I'd call it a failure, and I would redo the whole damn thing.

Sh¡ttiness of the site aside, the issue is that they are putting ads on the site. That's a load of sh¡t. We pay a subscription fee. We shouldn't have to see ads.

I play in 3 Yahoo leagues and 3 MFL. Yahoo has some nice features and it can't be beat for standard re-draft leagues. It is FREE and easy to navigate. The user interface is straightforward, and it has improved the features greatly, offering blind bid waivers and even keeper options. I've found virtually no way that you'll get a problem resolved with any personal feedback. if you can't find the answer on the site itself, there probably isn't one.

For dynasty leagues that are fairly sophisticated, then that is where MFL shines. It's interfaces need a complete overhaul to make it more user friendly, and even experienced commissioners have trouble understanding the settings. As commissioner, sometimes you feel like you are working your way through a maze with their commissioner set-ups (particularly if you want blind bid waivers followed by FCFS pick-up until the player starts his game that week which is impossible to navigate). If you don't know how to do something, the smart thing is to fill out a help ticket and ask for help. The help ticket system gets you personalized problem solving and very clear, timely and well explained solutions.

But at the end of every year they ask about suggested site improvements, and of course every year they thank me for my input and then proceed to ignore my suggestions. I've found that you can stack discounts to make them very affordable and knock their site management fee down from something like $69.95 to $49.95 or even less.

And how hard is it to write a little algorithm to filter out the repeated news. I'm tired of seeing 25 articles on Vick's hamstring everyday that all say the same thing.

Here's an idea. If two news articles on the same guy are posted within two hours of each other. Take the one with the least number of words and see if 75% of the nouns and verbs show up in the other news article. If they do, get rid of the shorter blurb. Boom. I could write that in 20 minutes, and filter out at least 50% of the garbage on the news page.

Those guys have no idea what they're doing, and if you guys think it's good, you have low standards.

I'm not a commish in any league so I don't totally understand the ins and outs. My 4 leagues

cbssports

rtsports

rtsports

myfantasyfootball league

I kind of like them all. CBSsports was the only site we have trouble with on setting up blind bidding for ww material. Other than that, I kind of like the features of all the sites. I check MFFL daily for the updated news. They have breaking news when it happens. FFtoday is even a site they pull their info from:) FFTODAY reporting that Jocstrap will finally win another title this year. It's been a long time coming. 1 minute old from fftoday.com!

My league tried MFL last year after being on CBS for a long time. After one year there the league voted unanimously to go back to CBS this year. We are a redraft league and we didn't have anyone who wanted to take the time to program the site. It is very complicated.

That best part of going back to cbs this year is the mobile app. Their app has historically been bad but they finally got it right this year. It is by far the best mobile app I have seen.

And how hard is it to write a little algorithm to filter out the repeated news. I'm tired of seeing 25 articles on Vick's hamstring everyday that all say the same thing.

Here's an idea. If two news articles on the same guy are posted within two hours of each other. Take the one with the least number of words and see if 75% of the nouns and verbs show up in the other news article. If they do, get rid of the shorter blurb. Boom. I could write that in 20 minutes, and filter out at least 50% of the garbage on the news page.

Those guys have no idea what they're doing, and if you guys think it's good, you have low standards.

As others have stated MFL isn't superior to other services unless your Commissioner is able to take full advantage of the site. That can be insanely time consuming and can require understanding of CSS and java etc. Once you are setup, however, the interface really shines. Particularly in a keeper or dynasty league setting. I personally play on MFL, Yahoo, ESPN, and CBS. I would rank them MFL>>Yahoo>>>ESPN>>>>>>>>>>>CBS. You aren't going to convince many experienced fantasy owners much differently.

I personally like the multiple news stories, because commentary is frequently included and I like getting different perspectives.

Not all of the onus is on the Commish either... each individual has the option to customize the layout of their homepage. Perhaps not to the same extent as the Commish, but it is there.

While MFL desperately needs to update their codebase, my site turned out great and receives tons of compliments. Sounds like whoever runs your MFL site needs to customize it and provide quick links to commonly used functions.

Here's our site for this year:

http://www18.myfantasyleague.com/2013/home/19736#0

That site is sexy. Can you share how you were able to create custom buttons, custom tabs, etc?

That site is sexy. Can you share how you were able to create custom buttons, custom tabs, etc?

Thanks!

It's a bit more involved than I can put into a post. I'm a web / UX designer by trade, and very proficient at CSS and JS, so that helped. Although, the base was from Sticks at DAGrafix, so I have to give him some of the credit.

I play in 3 Yahoo leagues and 3 MFL. Yahoo has some nice features and it can't be beat for standard re-draft leagues. It is FREE and easy to navigate. The user interface is straightforward, and it has improved the features greatly, offering blind bid waivers and even keeper options. I've found virtually no way that you'll get a problem resolved with any personal feedback. if you can't find the answer on the site itself, there probably isn't one.

For dynasty leagues that are fairly sophisticated, then that is where MFL shines. It's interfaces need a complete overhaul to make it more user friendly, and even experienced commissioners have trouble understanding the settings. As commissioner, sometimes you feel like you are working your way through a maze with their commissioner set-ups (particularly if you want blind bid waivers followed by FCFS pick-up until the player starts his game that week which is impossible to navigate). If you don't know how to do something, the smart thing is to fill out a help ticket and ask for help. The help ticket system gets you personalized problem solving and very clear, timely and well explained solutions.

But at the end of every year they ask about suggested site improvements, and of course every year they thank me for my input and then proceed to ignore my suggestions. I've found that you can stack discounts to make them very affordable and knock their site management fee down from something like $69.95 to $49.95 or even less.

I would be very interested to hear more about knocking the fee down. What discount do you speak of? I am only aware of the discount for paying early.

I would be very interested to hear more about knocking the fee down. What discount do you speak of? I am only aware of the discount for paying early.

You can get $10 off via FBG... You just have to find the link over there...

12 of us from FFT have a dynasty league and we have been using MFL since our inception 6 years ago.

While it is not perfect and does take some getting used to.

As long as you're not 80 and have been using computers for the a couple years you can figure it out.

I ran a league on CBS for many years and I like MFL better.

Then again, I'm a network admin so I'm betting at computers than most.

Yeah, but can you trust your commish to not look? Can everyone?

You don't have to trust. It says on the rules page whether or not the Commish Lockout is on or off. And if the Commish changes the setting, every owner email gets an email saying its been turned on/off. So if a Commish changes the setting, say to set another owner's lineup, and then turns the Lockout back on... every owner would get 2 emails.

As commissioner, sometimes you feel like you are working your way through a maze with their commissioner set-ups (particularly if you want blind bid

waivers followed by FCFS pick-up until the player starts his game that week which is impossible to navigate).

Impossible? That's exactly what my league does and I'm sure most. In the calendar, you enter in time/day of the week for blind bidding to start and end. Then another entry for when FCFS starts. For those two calendar entries, choose "repeat" for however many weeks. You check a 3rd box saying adds stop at beginning of a player's individual game (one of the boxes HAS to be checked for this, so maybe you have 'stop at first game of the week' or something else checked). Done.

That "maze" is called logic because MFL lets you do pretty much anything you want. That is why the interface is so "bland" with no effort. Same with waivers - to allow for customization - including two sets of rosters in the league, salary cap space bidding for free agents, etc.... as more leagues move away from your snake draft / simplistic rules, they need open architecture to install and have their specific wrinkles.

You can stack an early bird discount with a FBG discount, and this year they added a discount for commissioners who use MFL for multiple leagues. I didn't figure out how to stack all three this year....next year i'm gonna try it tho.

MFL has the best dynasty & keeper league sites available. I highly doubt you will convince any seasoned fantasy football veteran otherwise. Nearly all my leagues are housed there and I wouldn't change it for anything. It takes a full season to get use to the UI, but once you have the hang of it, the customization options are limitless.

I disagree. No matter how hard I try to customize, mfl never gives me a blow job.

We switched to MFL about 5 years ago and love it. For the OP, if you are having issues setting up waviers, why not contact customer support. People are stating customization as the best perk for MFL, hell, every customer support ticket I have put in has been dealt with in less then 6 hours, that is six hours max (and that is mostly overnight) for them to resolve my issue, lets see you get that from yahoo or cbssports, do they even have customer service?

When we arrived to MFL 5 years ago, like you, I hated setting up waivers, but one ticket in to customer service with what I wanted they helped me out.