Sign in to follow this  
2014 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot/Results (Maddux/Glavine/Thomas)...

Former Cy Youngs and MVPs among 19 newcomers to ballot

Pitchers who won a combined seven Cy Young Awards and position players who totaled three Most Valuable Player Awards are among 19 new candidates on the 2014 Hall of Fame ballot that is being mailed this week to more than 600 voting members of the BBWAA.

Pitchers Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine and Eric Gagne, first baseman-designated hitter Frank Thomas and second baseman Jeff Kent join 17 holdovers from the 2013 balloting that failed to produce a winning candidate for the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y., for the first time since 1996.

Craig Biggio, who totaled 3,060 hits and was a seven-time All-Star while playing three positions (catcher, second base, outfield), topped the 2013 ballot with 388 votes 39 shy of the 427 required for election. His total reflected 68.2 percent of the electorate, which consists of BBWAA members with 10 or more consecutive years of Major League Baseball coverage.

Players must be named on 75 percent of the ballots cast to earn election. Other players named on more than half the ballots were pitcher Jack Morris (67.7 percent), first baseman Jeff Bagwell (59.6), catcher Mike Piazza (57.8) and outfielder Tim Raines (52.2). Players may remain on the ballot for up to 15 years provided they receive five percent of the vote in any year. This is the 15th and final year of eligibility for Morris.

Maddux won four consecutive National League Cy Young Awards from 1992-95 and a record 18 Gold Glove Awards in a 23-season career in which he compiled a 355-227 record with a 3.16 earned run average and 3,371 strikeouts in 5,008 1/3 innings combined for the Chicago Cubs, Atlanta Braves, Los Angeles Dodgers and San Diego Padres. The righthander led the NL in ERA four times and won at least 15 games for 17 straight seasons, another record.

Glavine, a two-time NL Cy Young Award winner (1991 and 98) and 10-time All-Star, was 305-203 with a 3.54 ERA over 22 seasons combined with the Braves and New York Mets. The lefthander was a five-time 20-game winner and won four Silver Slugger Awards. Gagne had 55 saves and a 1.20 ERA in 77 appearances with the Dodgers in his Cy Young Award season.

Thomas, who won consecutive American League MVP Awards with the Chicago White Sox in 1993 and 94 and placed in the top three in the voting five times overall, finished his 19-year career with 2,468 hits, including 521 home runs. He drove in 1,704 runs, scored 1,494 and had more walks (1,667) than strikeouts (1,397).

Jeff Kent, the NL MVP in 2000 with the San Francisco Giants, also played for the Mets, Dodgers, Toronto Blue Jays, Cleveland Indians and Houston Astros in a 17-season career during which he slammed 377 home runs, 351 of which were as a second baseman, a major league record. The five-time All-Star had at least 20 homers and 100 RBI in eight seasons, the most by any second baseman in major-league history.

Hideo Nomo, the 1995 NL Jackie Robinson Rookie of the Year winner and the owner of two no-hitters; and two World Series heroes, outfielders Moises Alou (1997 Florida Marlins) and Luis Gonzalez (2001 Arizona Diamondbacks), are also on the ballot for the first time. Joining them are righthander Mike Mussina, who had a .638 winning percentage (270-153) over 18 seasons with the Baltimore Orioles and New York Yankees; lefthander Kenny Rogers, whose perfect game for the Texas Rangers in 1994 was the highlight of a 20-year career; reliever Armando Benitez, the 2001 Rolaids Relief Man of the Year and first baseman J.T. Snow, a six-time Gold Glove Award winner. Other newcomers are relievers Todd Jones and Mike Timlin, first basemen Sean Casey and Richie Sexson, second baseman Ray Durham, catcher Paul Lo Duca and outfielder Jacque Jones.

Among others returning to the ballot are first basemen Don Mattingly, Fred McGriff, Mark McGwire and Rafael Palmeiro; outfielders Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa and Larry Walker; pitchers Roger Clemens, Curt Schilling and Lee Smith; shortstop Alan Trammell and third baseman-DH Edgar Martinez.

Writers must return ballots by a Dec. 31 postmark. Votes are counted jointly by BBWAA secretary-treasurer Jack OConnell and Ernst & Young partner Michael DiLecce. Results will be announced at 2 p.m., EST, Wednesday, January 8, 2014, on MLB Network and the web sites of the Hall of Fame and the BBWAA.

THE BALLOT

Moises Alou

Jeff Bagwell

Armando Benitez

Craig Biggio

Barry Bonds

Sean Casey

Roger Clemens

Ray Durham

Eric Gagne

Tom Glavine

Luis Gonzalez

Jacque Jones

Todd Jones

Jeff Kent

Paul Lo Duca

Greg Maddux

Edgar Martinez

Don Mattingly

Fred McGriff

Mark McGwire

Jack Morris

Mike Mussina

Hideo Nomo

Rafael Palmeiro

Mike Piazza

Tim Raines

Kenny Rogers

Curt Schilling

Richie Sexson

Lee Smith

J.T. Snow

Sammy Sosa

Frank Thomas

Mike Timlin

Alan Trammell

Larry Walker

If I had a ballot, I would vote for:

Jeff Bagwell

Craig Biggio

Barry Bonds

Roger Clemens

Tom Glavine

Greg Maddux

Rafael Palmeiro

Mike Piazza

Frank Thomas

Jeff Bagwell

Craig Biggio

Barry Bonds

Roger Clemens

Tom Glavine

Greg Maddux

Rafael Palmeiro

Mike Piazza

Frank Thomas

I'd agree with Biggio, Maddux, Piazza, and Thomas.

No chance in hell for Palmiero.

I don't know how anyone with complete confidence can say with 100% certainty that none of these players did steroids.

you just don't know, you're guessing. to say otherwise is foolish

Jeff Bagwell

Craig Biggio

Barry Bonds

Roger Clemens

Tom Glavine

Greg Maddux

Rafael Palmeiro

Mike Piazza

Frank Thomas

Isn't there an unwritten rule that they don't vote for more than six people a year?

Maddux and Thomas should be locks.

Isn't there an unwritten rule that they don't vote for more than six people a year?

I don't think it's unwritten, there is a max (5 or 6) of how many you can vote for, no minimum

Why are they locks and not others? they didn't do steroids? :rolleyes:

Why are they locks and not others? they didn't do steroids? :rolleyes:

Like you said, I can't be 100% sure.. But I don't think maddux did and Thomas was consistently the same size his whole career.

Four consecutive Cy youngs, 300 wins.

Three MVPs, 500 HRs..

They should get in

Like you said, I can't be 100% sure.. But I don't think maddux did and Thomas was consistently the same size his whole career.

this

You can't make a blanket statement to try to accuse everyone of cheating in an effort to justify those who we all know without a doubt did.

Guys who abused them enough to totally change their power numbers and appearance should never get in. That wasn't 'dabbling' or trying them out.

Four consecutive Cy youngs, 300 wins.

Three MVPs, 500 HRs..

They should get in

of course they have the numbers, a bunch of others do too

it's the whole not letting people in for thinking they did steroids. Whatever proof a voter may think they have.

I'm tired of hearing about it every year. Vote people in on their number and their impact on the game. Not whether or not you think they did steroids.

of course they have the numbers, a bunch of others do too

it's the whole not letting people in for thinking they did steroids. Whatever proof a voter may think they have.

I'm tired of hearing about it every year. Vote people in on their number and their impact on the game. Not whether or not you think they did steroids.

People don't 'think' Bonds, Clemens, or Palmiero did steroids.

this

You can't make a blanket statement to try to accuse everyone of cheating in an effort to justify those who we all know without a doubt did.

Guys who abused them enough to totally change their power numbers and appearance should never get in. That wasn't 'dabbling' or trying them out.

Frank Thomas hit 39 HR when he was 38 in 137 games, yeah he was clean. :rolleyes:

Please show me how many major leaguers hit 39 HR at the age of 38, before the year 2000

People don't 'think' Bonds, Clemens, or Palmiero did steroids.

do you have the video of Frank Thomas being called up before congress to testify? I guess he's clean and everyone else that wasn't called up to testify as well.

Frank Thomas hit 39 HR when he was 38 in 137 games, yeah he was clean. :rolleyes:

Please show me how many major leaguers hit 39 HR at the age of 38, before the year 2000

I'm not arguing with you edjr. I've known since he was still playing that you have no problem with Bonds juicing so hard that his skull expanded. Once there were actual admissions and federal indictments, you stopped defending him and switched your story to the classic pre-teen excuse of "well, everyone was doing it". Sorry, but I'm not willing to throw an entire generation of players under some steroid blanket in order to excuse some drug addict that ruined sports' greatest record., He could die tomorrow and I'd be doing cartwheels.

He also had 460 at bats that season

Darrell evens did 40 HRs in 1985 at that age :)

He also had 460 at bats that season

Darrell evens did 40 HRs in 1985 at that age :)

in 591 at bats, mind you. How often has it happened?

I'm not arguing with you edjr. I've known since he was still playing that you have no problem with Bonds juicing so hard that his skull expanded. Once there were actual admissions and federal indictments, you stopped defending him and switched your story to the classic pre-teen excuse of "well, everyone was doing it". Sorry, but I'm not willing to throw an entire generation of players under some steroid blanket in order to excuse some drug addict that ruined sports' greatest record., He could die tomorrow and I'd be doing cartwheels.

+1

It's obvious Bonds was a roiding cheater, but he's the best roiding cheater in MLB history, you can't just throw that out.

You don't know beyond a shadow of a doubt if Frank Thomas did not do steroids, or how often he did, if he did.

you're a hypocrite and your dislike of Bonds, will never allow to think clearly on the subject

It's obvious Bonds was a roiding cheater, but he's the best roiding cheater in MLB history, you can't just throw that out.

You don't know beyond a shadow of a doubt if Frank Thomas did not do steroids, or how often he did, if he did.

you're a hypocrite and your dislike of Bonds, will never allow to think clearly on the subject

If you're not contributing to the pussification of america..yeah, you throw it out(and yes making excuses for doing the wrong thing...:PUSSIFCATION!). And I wouldn't stop at the HOF, I'd wipe his entire career from the record books.

It's not just Bonds. I want McGwire, Sosa, and Clemens kept out too. The guys we KNOW cheated. Especially the ones who cheated to the extent that it totally changed their body composition.

Maybe there's a lot of clues that Thomas was also a roid head. I honestly haven't heard near the buzz about him. If that's the case, the baseball writers will keep him out, to. And I have no problem with that.

It's not just Bonds. I want McGwire, Sosa, and Clemens kept out too. The guys we KNOW cheated. Especially the ones who cheated to the extent that it totally changed their body composition.

Maybe there's a lot of clues that Thomas was also a roid head. I honestly haven't heard near the buzz about him. If that's the case, the baseball writers will keep him out, to. And I have no problem with that.

Where is KSB when I need him :cry:

Where is KSB when I need him :cry:

He may be busy whacking off in a Tiger Woods thread on another board.

Big Roid 1999 card http://my.execpc.com/~pjsports/THOMASF/BCM9221.jpg

Big Roid 2007 card http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Toronto+Blue+Jays+v+Detroit+Tigers+hHdMccTr28wl.jpg

His listed weight when he was drafted: 225
His listed weight when he was a rookie: 240
His listed weight when he was an A: 275

Just do a little work fellas, it's not hard. Stop taking the easy way out and letting congress do your job for you.

if you want to be sticklers, fine, be it for everyone.

I don't think it's unwritten, there is a max (5 or 6) of how many you can vote for, no minimum

You can vote for zero to ten people...

You can vote for zero to ten people...

if you vote for 0, are you in fact not voting at all?

if you vote for 0, are you in fact not voting at all?

Big difference in not sending in a ballot and sending in a ballot with no one listed...

Big difference in not sending in a ballot and sending in a ballot with no one listed...

not voting or sending a ballot with no votes is different somehow?

if I show up to vote for the next election and hand in an empty ballot, will I get some sort of credit, instead of just staying home and pouting?

Really? Come on edjr, you are smarter than this...

They need to scrap the MLB HOF - it has turned into a joke. Maybe make a bingo parlor out of the joint or something.

Wally Joyner was in the Mitchell Report. Wally Joyner was more geeky looking than Greg Maddux.

Steroids was running rampant in the 90's. Either let them all in or none of them. Trying to pick and choose is stupid.

Wally Joyner was in the Mitchell Report. Wally Joyner was more geeky looking than Greg Maddux.

Steroids was running rampant in the 90's. Either let them all in or none of them. Trying to pick and choose is stupid.

Glad you got the smoke signal, Chief.

if I show up to vote for the next election and hand in an empty ballot, will I get some sort of credit, instead of just staying home and pouting?

:doh:

As was Mike Lansing, the brute of a man that he was.

:doh:

thanks for clearing that up. no vote is not the same as not voting.

Thank you.

Thank you.

I guess you aren't smarter than that...

Thank you.

I'm going to assume you really don't know. No vote---you turn in your card with nobody selected...it's counted and added to the whole, since you need 75% of the vote to get in...each time a card is turned in with out a selection it raises the threshold needed to be elected.

If you don't vote and don't turn in a card, the number needed to get to 75% isn't raised.

Scenario 1. There are a total of 1000 voters and all 1000 return cards, doesn't matter if they vote or not, you need 750 to get into the HOF.

Scenario 2. There are 1000 total voters, but only 100, turn in there cards, you would only need 75 votes to get into the HOF.

If at any time 25%+1 voter submit blank cards, nobody gets elected.