Sign in to follow this  
Super Cubs

2014 off season dynasty and keeper thread

Thanks Guru.

Was very surprised with the Lee pick.

Also I read your comments on Watkins, and I agree 100%. Although their are not many detracters out there on him. The one's that are will bring up EJ Manuel will be the guy throwing the ball to him. I'm in the nonsense category. If Watkins can be a stud with Tajh Boyd chucking him the ball. Then he'll do just fine with Manuel.

Thanks Guru.

Was very surprised with the Lee pick.

Also I read your comments on Watkins, and I agree 100%. Although their are not many detracters out there on him. The one's that are will bring up EJ Manuel will be the guy throwing the ball to him. I'm in the nonsense category. If Watkins can be a stud with Tajh Boyd chucking him the ball. Then he'll do just fine with Manuel.

I was surprised with the Lee pick as well. I have him listed as a mid-second rounder on my list for this league (his high drop % scares me as much as anything). I'm not the least bit worried about Watkins; I'd like to see the last receiver who put up the numbers he did when roughly 40 percent of his catches were on screen passes. He is incredible after the catch. In short, even if Manuel continues to struggle with accuracy down the field, I think he'll still be able to complete the 5-10 yard tunnel screen throw to Watkins. Adding Watkins to my young WR corps and owning two young stud TEs (hopefully, if Graham remains there) means I should be able to target RBs relentlessly over the next 2-3 years.

So how am i doing so far?

12 team dynasty start up draft 1 PPR qb rb rb wr wr wr te rb/wr/te def k,

30 roster spots, plus some IR spots i think.. Im gonna need some deep sleepers.

This is my first start up draft for a dynasty league. Im sure i'll screw it up. Taking over an orphan team was much easier. This draft is already wreaking havoc on my nerves.

Pulled the dreaded 12 spot in the draft,

So far i have drafted thusly

1.12: Giovani Bernard

2.01 Randall Cobb

Thought about Forte instead of Bernard, and Marshall instead of Cobb, but in the end chose youth. I think i got the next Rice and Welker, 2 PPR Gods in their prime. Im pretty happy about this.

Still available (at 2.09): Peterson, Gronk, Watkins

just saw this post now and the subsequently posted first 2 rounds.

I think if Charles is a 1st round RB at 27, there wasn't much reason to pass on Forte (28) with one of your turn picks. Definitely over Gio. Also probably would have gone with Ball over Bernard as well if youth was the concern... Im a Cobb fan but I think I still grab Marshall or even Brown over Cobb. Marshall should have 4 more years of very good production with Cutler throwing him the ball in that offense.

then again it is well documented that I care little about age in dynasty and think it is hugely overblown.

I'll go ahead and post this link to keep you up to date with the rookie draft in my "experts" league.

Thoughts: I traded up to 1.2 with the intention of drafting Sankey, but figured I would be plenty happy with Watkins if FF Starters went with the Washington RB. I had 2.2, but was very happy to land Kyle Rudolph for that pick since I am very high on Rudolph's upside with Norv Turner in town. In the off chance Graham is declared a WR, I have his replacement. With Rudolph in place, I feel really good about the Jordan Cameron trade, which ultimately allowed me to move up to draft Watkins. Carey was a must-get for me with Forte's career probably headed on a downhill slope after this year.

I was very much hoping to land Terrance West with one of my second-rounders, but Fantasy Sharks decided he needed his ninth and 10th RBs more than he needed another starting receiver to fill the void left behind when he traded away Megatron (and Bryce Brown) for Gordon (and ultimately Jeremy Hill)...and that was well AFTER the news broke that Gordon would likely be suspended. I don't think I'm making any big announcement by stating I would like to add two more running backs to improve my depth there and wouldn't mind landing one of the three solid WRs left (Robinson, Adams and Latimer) even though I should be set at the position.

I don't agree with everyone taking Watkins this early. I just really have no idea why Watkins is the automatic 1st or 2nd player taken. The dude is going to be a good receiver in the league, but he players for the Bills. There are a few other receivers that were drafted to much much better qbs. I like Watkins like everyone else, I just really hate the situation he is in. Gordon's name will probably be invoked here but how many times has a good receiver gone to a bad team and failed because of the lack of offensive ability around him.

Also as far as Watkins succeeding with Boyd, that was college. He is in the pros now. I am depending on Spiller this year so I would love for Watkins to be able to make the defense worry about the pass. He is the only receiver to worry about and the defense is going to key on him.

Watkins is arguably the best WR to come out of college since A.J. Green and Julio Jones (and I'm not just saying that b/c everyone else is saying it). At worst, he is a bigger and less injury-prone Percy Harvin. At his best, he is Andre Johnson (the comparison I made in the draft profiles). Harvin overcame bad quarterbacking in Minnesota, Johnson overcame David Carr and I'd argue that Manuel is certainly as good as anything the Vikings have trotted out since Favre or the Texans did in AJ's early years. Of course, that assumes that Manuel doesn't improve from his first year to his second, when most players take their biggest leap. Like Harvin, Watkins figures to be less dependent on his quarterback to get him the ball 10-15 yards down the field on every pass because can generate his own yards after the catch on the screen; he is elusive AND powerful AND fast enough to break away from the pack when he gets a chance.

I hear you on the lack of an ideal situation right now, but what if Manuel turns out to be even average? We don't know what he is yet. How much of his rookie season was a result of three knee surgeries? Look, I don't expect Manuel to ever be great, but I think Watkins is the best long-term investment in this rookie class.

just saw this post now and the subsequently posted first 2 rounds.

I think if Charles is a 1st round RB at 27, there wasn't much reason to pass on Forte (28) with one of your turn picks. Definitely over Gio. Also probably would have gone with Ball over Bernard as well if youth was the concern... Im a Cobb fan but I think I still grab Marshall or even Brown over Cobb. Marshall should have 4 more years of very good production with Cutler throwing him the ball in that offense.

then again it is well documented that I care little about age in dynasty and think it is hugely overblown.

Man if you dont like those picks, youre are gonna straight up HATE the rest of my draft :) So far im doing poorly drafting at the turn, every gamble ive taken has blown up, and with the 24 hour clock per pick, i am severely overthinking everything. So far i have talked myself out of several players that after the fact i knew i should have taken, and vice versa. I dont exactly hate my team, but i just now it could have been so much better. Anyway, here is my team (with 6 picks remaining)

Foles.Locker.Bortles

Lynch.Bernard.SJackson.KDavis.Sims.Crowell

Cobb.Maclin.Edelman.Dobson.MLee.Wheaton.MBryant.Ellington.Herron.Kearse

Thomas.Lyerla.RGriffin.GGraham

Chiefs

I felt like i was pretty prepared for this draft. The 24 hour clock is screwing with me....im completely over thinking everything. I got too worried about age, and i always over value slot WR in PPR leagues for some reason. I think my starters will be ok. I think i got a few decent WR prospects. Isaiah Crowell and Colt Lyerla on the same team...at least the parties will be epic. But Nick Foles and Julius Thomas better stay healthy or my season is kaput. And if that happens....well at least Blake Bortles girlfriend is on the team.....

Man if you dont like those picks, youre are gonna straight up HATE the rest of my draft :) So far im doing poorly drafting at the turn, every gamble ive taken has blown up, and with the 24 hour clock per pick, i am severely overthinking everything. So far i have talked myself out of several players that after the fact i knew i should have taken, and vice versa. I dont exactly hate my team, but i just now it could have been so much better. Anyway, here is my team (with 6 picks remaining)

Foles.Locker.Bortles

Lynch.Bernard.SJackson.KDavis.Sims.Crowell

Cobb.Maclin.Edelman.Dobson.MLee.Wheaton.MBryant.Ellington.Herron.Kearse

Thomas.Lyerla.RGriffin.GGraham

Chiefs

I felt like i was pretty prepared for this draft. The 24 hour clock is screwing with me....im completely over thinking everything. I got too worried about age, and i always over value slot WR in PPR leagues for some reason. I think my starters will be ok. I think i got a few decent WR prospects. Isaiah Crowell and Colt Lyerla on the same team...at least the parties will be epic. But Nick Foles and Julius Thomas better stay healthy or my season is kaput. And if that happens....well at least Blake Bortles girlfriend is on the team.....

I actually do hate that team. Sorry bro. And i am a foles believer.

ppr, keeper league, no limit on how long you can keep a player

I've been offered Monte Ball and pick 1.1 (Sankey) for McCoy

My co-owner said no because we know what we have in McCoy. I tend to agree with that but there is something telling me to make the deal.

My co-owner said no because we know what we have in McCoy. I tend to agree with that but there is something telling me to make the deal.

I think it's a decent offer, but the only way you do it is if you:

- believe the hype that Ball will be a top 8 RB

- NEED another starter for your regular line-up. Not a bye week filler, but Sankey in a regular starting role.

It's not bad, like I said, but someone really needs to overpay if they want a top 2-3 guy at any position.

If you can get him to throw in a first next year or another piece i say go for it. mccoy will out produce both this year, but what if you have arian foster 2.0 in sankey? Im not saying its a given, but thats who sankey reminds me of.

Now the titans offense is a massive step down so the output for bishop will take a hit from that aspect alone. But you are getting 2 rbs who should take the majority of carries on their team. Not that you should be too concerned with mccoys age, but in 2 years you have 2 rbs who will be in the early stages of their prime. Manning will likely be gone but the broncos will still have a solid offense imo.

1 more piece and i say go for it.

I'd say no.

It has alot to do with my distaste for Ball and I'm also not completely sold on Sankey.

Now, If you could get a better RB in return. Then use that 1.1 on Watkins, that would be more like it.

But that's also a personal preference on my part too.

I'll take it. Not a fan of McCoy. RBs are shuffling fast. You should take the young and upcoming RBs

I'll take it. Not a fan of McCoy. RBs are shuffling fast. You should take the young and upcoming RBs

Scratching my head on this one. Not a fan of McCoy?

P.S. Ball is currently 23 to McCoys 25. Not really any age gap IMO.

Too much risk giving up a proven workhorse running back for potential. Maybe Montee Ball pans out with Moreno gone, and maybe Sankey gets a majority of the carries ahead of Shonn Greene...but maybe both running backs are stuck in a 65-35 time share and don't amass to a hill of beans.

I wouldn't move LeSean McCoy for that

Traded away:

Justin Houston LB Chiefs

2015 3rd round rookie pick (probably late)

Received:

2015 2nd round rookie pick (middle of the pack)

I decided to sell Justin houston because I think his name value is higher than his production is going go be.

Traded away

Kiko Alonso

2015 1rst round rookie pick (probably late)

For

Patrick Willis

2015 2nd round rookie pick (probably in the middle)