Sign in to follow this  
R8RMick

Hierarchy of NFL GM's...

This is a great ROTO piece on the GM's today. Seattle's GM is ranked to low (still think Green Bay could've had Marshawn Lynch and a Super Bowl with a 2nd rounder), and Clownie is probably ranked too high, though it's probably a toss up between him and Raider's GM Reggie McKenzie for biggest clown.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/46433/57/the-nfls-best-gms?pg=1

Not going to click on the link, but John Schneider and Ozzie Newsome should be #1 and #2, whichever way you want to rank them.

This is a great ROTO piece on the GM's today. Seattle's GM is ranked to low (still think Green Bay could've had Marshawn Lynch and a Super Bowl with a 2nd rounder), and Clownie is probably ranked too high, though it's probably a toss up between him and Raider's GM Reggie McKenzie for biggest clown.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/46433/57/the-nfls-best-gms?pg=1

Umm...the Packers did win a Super Bowl without getting Lynch.

Now..Thompson could very well drop in the next few years if they can't get back up top or stop faltering early in the playoffs.

He needs to step out of his zone of no free agents in recent years and bring in a few from the outside to compliment the core he has put together mostly through the draft.

Schneider will likely move up...longevity is the reason he is "low" at #4.

• Like 1

Very, VERY surprised to see not only Mike Brown listed at 7, but also Marvin Lewis' name beside it. The only way I can explain the Bengals recent draft success is that Brown finally let go of a lot of the 'final say'.

Les Snead is too high on this list. Look at his drafts. We've missed on 80% of the players and taken some way earlier than they should have been.

We have hit on Quinn, Zac and Ogletree. Outside of that, we haven't done much. We have, however, wasted 2nd round picks on Kendricks and Quick while throwing away the vast majority of our 3rd through 5th round selections under his regime. I would have Snead in the bottom three until he can hit on more than one player (on average) per draft.

BB is too high. His draft is not so good at all in recently years. I am not sure why he's ranked No. 1.

BB is too high. His draft is not so good at all in recently years. I am not sure why he's ranked No. 1.

No. 1 may be debatable but you really can't argue that he's outside the top three.

First of all you have to consider more than the draft. He's picked up some pretty darn good players off the free agent scrap heap, moreso in the past but even today they've got Rob Ninkovich playing at a very high level. Then you have to look at the trades, Wes Welker, Randy Moss, Corey Dillon and so on.

But even with the draft, the Pats certainly had a bad stretch for a whole around 08-09ish, but they've been pretty solid lately. Devin McCourty, Chandler Jones, Jerod Mayo, Rob Gronkowski (prior to all the injuries)...he has added some elite young talent through the draft. Unfortunately he did totally fail at drafting in the secondary aside from McCourty and at wide receiver, but nobody is perfect.

agree on Idzik. right where he should be at 15 given he has 1 year on the job but flipped Revis into $ savings and DROY Sheldon Richardson. I think Milliner will be fine as well. However, im not a fan of his offseason thus far... Seems like he may have overpaid Decker just slightly due to the need and has then been curiously quiet when it comes to other needs that the casual fan might not notice.... corner, right tackle, safety

considering we still need a WR, i'll be interested to see how they approach the 16th pick.

It's Interesting to see BB ranked first, after EDJR started a topic not to long ago stating "The Patriots should do the right thing and fire BB. What makes it interesting is the gap between peoples opinions--he's ranked 1st on some lists and others think that he should be fired.

It's Interesting to see BB ranked first, after EDJR started a topic not to long ago stating "The Patriots should do the right thing and fire BB. What makes it interesting is the gap between peoples opinions--he's ranked 1st on some lists and others think that he should be fired.

Difference is Rotoworld wasn't trolling with its article.

Difference is Rotoworld wasn't trolling with its article.

Agreed. BB has done a LOT as a GM. I think that thread was about someone being pissed off they had a couple bad draft classes. At the time, The Patriots didn't exactly have many glaring weaknesses, so they gambled on some picks. The 49'ers are in the same situation right now. They have a ton of draft picks, but half won't make the 53 man roster because they are so deep. At some point, some idiot will neglect the fact they are one of the deepest teams in the NFL and blame the GM claiming he didn't draft well. Such is life.

On the flip side, some of the GM's on the list are incredibly overrated, even though they are listed in bottom third of the list. How a guy can be rated above last when he has found one certifiable stud in three draft classes is pretty crazy.

I would love to see an article with the top GM's of the last four decades ranked. There should be a separate one for head coaches who had control of the draft as well. Back in the 70's and 80's, the HC wasn't the GM in most cases, but many times they fully controlled the draft. Not having free agency back then, they didn't need the GM title. Considering some teams became true dyansties (MN, GB, DAL, San Fran, Pitt....), I'd like to read a well written article on how those GM's / Coaches are thought of across the board.

Umm...the Packers did win a Super Bowl without getting Lynch.

Now..Thompson could very well drop in the next few years if they can't get back up top or stop faltering early in the playoffs.

He needs to step out of his zone of no free agents in recent years and bring in a few from the outside to compliment the core he has put together mostly through the draft.

Schneider will likely move up...longevity is the reason he is "low" at #4.

Respectfully, not grabbing Lynch for a second rounder at the time was a huge mistake. What compounds my belief was a big puff piece on Thompson written back then, pontificating on how he is loathe to build through trades vs. the draft. This year we've seen glimpses of what GB could have been with a top tier running game. I contend they would have won at least one more title with Lynch in their backfield. But you pays your money you takes your choice.

Respectfully, not grabbing Lynch for a second rounder at the time was a huge mistake. What compounds my belief was a big puff piece on Thompson written back then, pontificating on how he is loathe to build through trades vs. the draft. This year we've seen glimpses of what GB could have been with a top tier running game. I contend they would have won at least one more title with Lynch in their backfield. But you pays your money you takes your choice.

and how far into hindsight did you think GB should have traded for Lynch?

i only ask because i was very very big on the Lynch fantasy bandwagon when he went to Seattle and i remember the general feeling being that no one cared too much about where Lynch went or even Lynch as a talent anymore. more so from a fantasy perspective but also a real life nfl perspective.

Well I was pretty much on the hindsight bandwagon from Day 1. There used to be capability on this board to search posts that were far in the past, but nowadays that feature is limited to just one year of active posts. If anyone has a way to get around that please let me know. Back at the time in question, 2010 I believe, there were several reasons 'that no one cared about Lynch.' Buffalo had a logjam at RB, with Lynch, rookie CJ Spiller, and a fairly young Fred Jackson. Lynch also had substance abuse problems I believe. And there was the golf cart episode lol... But I digress.

He also had rushed for a thousand yards in each of his first two seasons with Buffalo, and was a team mate of Aaron Rodgers at Cal. BTW Rodgers lobbied for Thompson to make the move. More importantly, the Pack had just lost Ryan Grant to an ankle injury and were turning the car keys over to Brandon Jackson. They also had Kuhn at FB (believe it or not his name came into the equation on reasons not to sign Lynch) a QB that could scramble and score TD's, and some practice squad tomato can they signed from ATL I believe. And of course there was Thompson's arrogant belief that they do not trade draft picks but build from within. Obviously history has not been kind to his decision.

The exact week in question, Buffalo actually played GB and Lynch out rushed all of the Packer RB's combined, even though he was in a three headed monster at RB in Buffalo. I contended at the time that even with his problems he would be a steal for a second rounder, and was confident the Bills would trade him even though they swore they wouldn't. Of course all of this is academic, and further proof that the GM hierarchy in Seattle has had its sh*t together for a few years now. My original point was to clarify how dangerous GB was with a true RB threat this last season, even playing most of it without Aaron Rodgers. And how Lynch would have PROBABLY pushed them over the top for at least one more trophy.

Well I was pretty much on the hindsight bandwagon from Day 1. There used to be capability on this board to search posts that were far in the past, but nowadays that feature is limited to just one year of active posts. If anyone has a way to get around that please let me know. Back at the time in question, 2010 I believe, there were several reasons 'that no one cared about Lynch.' Buffalo had a logjam at RB, with Lynch, rookie CJ Spiller, and a fairly young Fred Jackson. Lynch also had substance abuse problems I believe. And there was the golf cart episode lol... But I digress.

He also had rushed for a thousand yards in each of his first two seasons with Buffalo, and was a team mate of Aaron Rodgers at Cal. BTW Rodgers lobbied for Thompson to make the move. More importantly, the Pack had just lost Ryan Grant to an ankle injury and were turning the car keys over to Brandon Jackson. They also had Kuhn at FB (believe it or not his name came into the equation on reasons not to sign Lynch) a QB that could scramble and score TD's, and some practice squad tomato can they signed from ATL I believe. And of course there was Thompson's arrogant belief that they do not trade draft picks but build from within. Obviously history has not been kind to his decision.

The exact week in question, Buffalo actually played GB and Lynch out rushed all of the Packer RB's combined, even though he was in a three headed monster at RB in Buffalo. I contended at the time that even with his problems he would be a steal for a second rounder, and was confident the Bills would trade him even though they swore they wouldn't. Of course all of this is academic, and further proof that the GM hierarchy in Seattle has had its sh*t together for a few years now. My original point was to clarify how dangerous GB was with a true RB threat this last season, even playing most of it without Aaron Rodgers. And how Lynch would have PROBABLY pushed them over the top for at least one more trophy.

Google search, site:fftodayforums.com

No. 1 may be debatable but you really can't argue that he's outside the top three.

First of all you have to consider more than the draft. He's picked up some pretty darn good players off the free agent scrap heap, moreso in the past but even today they've got Rob Ninkovich playing at a very high level. Then you have to look at the trades, Wes Welker, Randy Moss, Corey Dillon and so on.

But even with the draft, the Pats certainly had a bad stretch for a whole around 08-09ish, but they've been pretty solid lately. Devin McCourty, Chandler Jones, Jerod Mayo, Rob Gronkowski (prior to all the injuries)...he has added some elite young talent through the draft. Unfortunately he did totally fail at drafting in the secondary aside from McCourty and at wide receiver, but nobody is perfect.

Played with ninkovich in highschool. Not sure he was even top 3 on our defense. We had a guy that was a monster among boys who unfortunately shattered his ankle. He would have been jared allen in a way. Dude was faster than me and outweighed me by over 100 pounds, and i was pretty fast back then.

BB is 8 years removed from SB wins which were basically won by Brady and Vinatieri. Any debate over him being top 5 ended long ago. Newsome, Elway, Schneider, Baalke, Reese, certainly deserve mentions earlier than BB.

why elway?

not saying for sure he doesnt but im just asking. I could be wrong but he didnt start there until 2011 right? and didn't take over football operations completely until after that season? he was there when von miller was drafted but who else of note? we will see what Ball turns into.

should he really get that much credit for bringing in Peyton and Welker? well, maybe credit for getting them here but you say BB success was Brady and Vinatieri. Wouldn't it be just as easy to say Elways success is due to a HOF rental QB?