Sign in to follow this  
Kammo

GB running game

GB is one decent RB from the superbowl.

The telling stat about tonight's game? Every starter on the Packers team was drafted by the Pack. I doubt they will make a trade, but at this point, I think they should.

I always thought Grant was just a product of the situation. I was high on Grant this year because of it. But now, seeing this team try to run without him makes me think he was better than I thought. The Lynch thing may be out the window, but they should look somewhere.

I always thought Grant was just a product of the situation. I was high on Grant this year because of it. But now, seeing this team try to run without him makes me think he was better than I thought. The Lynch thing may be out the window, but they should look somewhere.

i think one of the buffalo RB's is still an option, but the asking price for Lynch will be too high, so it might be Jackson. With the potential of no season next year, and no cap this year, I don't see why any team that's got a title shot like GB has isn't freakin doing whatever they can to win now.

To be fair, the Bears were absolutely stuffing any rushing attempts and Aaron Rodgers seemed to find holes fairly easily most of the game with quick dumpoffs as a safety gap.

The telling stat about tonight's game? Every starter on the Packers team was drafted by the Pack. I doubt they will make a trade, but at this point, I think they should.

But if Grant was playing that would not be a stat.

it's still not. Woodson, Pickett

I think the stat was like 40 players drafted by the Pack. Whatever the actual number, it's the highest percentage of drafted players on an NFL roster. It's the way the Pack do things....which is commendable....to an extent.

You have a legitimate shot at winning this year, and you're content with Brandon Jackson as your lead back? That ain't gonna cut it in January. You cannot win without a threat at RB.

I'm sure TT is aware of this....but will he do anything about it? Probably not.

And I know Packer fans dismissed all the James Starks talk immediately after the Grant injury.....and I agreed. But looking at that team now, he might provide a much needed spark.

One way or another, we'll find out in the next 3 weeks.

Maybe they really like that RB they signed from Atlanta's practice squad, but are trying to get him up to speed? :unsure:

Hey whats the deal with D'Mitri Nance?? I read he was signed off the Falcons practice squad and could be a sleeper for Green Bay. I checked for video of this guy but couldnt find much of anything. Anybody seen him? Could this be a Gado type scenario down the Stretch?? If theres any potential there I suspect you could pluck him off FA after waivers run this week with no problem at all...

Thoughts?

:unsure:

Does he come with an Oline that can run block?

There was little running room last night. I don't think a guy like Lynch would have been much help.

ESPN Milwaukee's Jason Wilde reports that an NFL source said Monday night that the Bills "have put out word that they will at least start listening to offers for Marshawn Lynch."

It's doubtful he was ever really off the table. The Bills have been trying to drum up interest in Lynch by giving him the bulk of the workload the last two weeks, and overall he's looked pretty good. The Packers are desperate for an upgrade at running back with Brandon Jackson struggling to fill in for the injured Ryan Grant.

Source: ESPNMilwaukee.com

Related: Packers

~rotoworld.com

Hey whats the deal with D'Mitri Nance?? I read he was signed off the Falcons practice squad and could be a sleeper for Green Bay. I checked for video of this guy but couldnt find much of anything. Anybody seen him? Could this be a Gado type scenario down the Stretch?? If theres any potential there I suspect you could pluck him off FA after waivers run this week with no problem at all...

Thoughts?

I watched this guy for 4 years at ASU. He sucks. Keep walking.

And I know Packer fans dismissed all the James Starks talk immediately after the Grant injury.....and I agreed. But looking at that team now, he might provide a much needed spark.

One way or another, we'll find out in the next 3 weeks.

Are there any news on Starks? I thought Kuhn looked better than Brandon Jackson running the ball.

Starks is on the PUP and can't be activated until after Week 6 minimum.

The whole GB RB situation socks

On offense not defense.

Does he come with an Oline that can run block?

There was little running room last night. I don't think a guy like Lynch would have been much help.

Correct, GB took what Chicago gave them.

I love the people who can't run their own fantasy team giving TT advice. :overhead:

The name of this game was 18 penalties, without them the score would not have been close.

Yeah, the running game was not the problem last night.

Anyways, in general I love GB's approach to building through the draft and developing your own players. It is the way to build a winning team. But at some point you've got to make a few extra moves via FA or trade if you want to get some hardware.

Yes, I want Marshawn Lynch to start b/c I did a trade with multiple players which included Lynch and I expected him to be traded to Green Bay as soon as Grant got hurt for the year, knowing what B. Jackson is not capable of. I still anticipate a trade for Lynch by the Packers.

Some Packers fans on this board can spin it to be FF players wanting certain things, but if you can't see the failure your running game is without Grant then I guess you're just blind!

The running game was a huge problem. They had to go to the spread formation and the pass to run ratio heavily favored the pass and they only scored 17 points.

The running game was a huge problem. They had to go to the spread formation and the pass to run ratio heavily favored the pass and they only scored 17 points.

They didn't score only 17 points because the run game. They only scored 17 because penalties kept them out of the endzone. While I still think they will need a run game when they get up on some teams, their passing game is on a level above everyone else's. It is probably due to the fact that they drafted every one of these offensive players and they seem to know exactly what is going to happen and where everyone else is on every snap. Couple that with Rodger's ridiculously quick release, and you have a passing game like no other.

Again.. they need to find a running game, but if there were any team that needs to rely on a passing attack, the Pack is the team that can perform.

Correct, GB took what Chicago gave them.

I love the people who can't run their own fantasy team giving TT advice. :overhead:

The name of this game was 18 penalties, without them the score would not have been close.

Did GB take what Buffalo gave them too? 20 for 65 :puke:

Rodgers is the best runner on that team.

And the past two weeks, the Packers have thrown it 74 times and run it 33. And that was with the Packers in....or completely dominating both games. Teams are just going to tee off on Rodgers and that aging O-line. It's what Peppers did last night. It's what the improved Detroit D-line will do next week. It's what the Jets/Vikings/Cowboys will do in the future.

:lol: At the people wanting Marshawn Lynch.

What's so funny about that? He's young and has been pretty productive despite playing for one of the most abysmal offenses in the NFL.

Negative. There's 14 more regular season weeks, plus 3 playoff weeks before the super bowl and that's if they make the playoffs.

They need more than just a RB. They also could use some O-line help and a little bit of discipline. Lots of yellow hankies on the field last night and I don't think they can make it to the super bowl with 20 penalties a game.

Can we please stop talking about Lynch? Every time he is brought up, I go to rotoworld just to check out his stats That dude's profile pic makes me throw up a bit in my mouth.

Well, those who snatched BJax from the waiver wire were rewarded with a 12-yd rampage last night--and 27 bonus receiving yds. I think Brando-mania is officially over.

The running game was a problem last night, although not the only one. The Bears did not fear the GB ground game. "Thrifty Ted" Thompson needs to make a move, even if it means surrendering one of those draft choices he treats like doubloons. As Matt Bowen said this morning, they cannot be effective with this kind of production on the ground.

Can we please stop talking about Lynch? Every time he is brought up, I go to rotoworld just to check out his stats That dude's profile pic makes me throw up a bit in my mouth.

How about we keep talking about him and you refrain from your impulse to check his stats at rotoworld? Just sayin'.

How about we keep talking about him and you refrain from your impulse to check his stats at rotoworld? Just sayin'.

Or when we mention Lynch he could pretend we were talkin about Zach Efron. That way he'd be able to google plenty to add to his spank bank & we could still stay on topic. Win/win

Or when we mention Lynch he could pretend we were talkin about Zach Efron. That way he'd be able to google plenty to add to his spank bank & we could still stay on topic. Win/win

Lynch is in no way is a "win"!

Lynch is in no way is a "win"!

Again, what's your problem with Lynch? He may have some character issues but he can definitely play. If the price is right, the pack would be stupid to pass on him.

Published Tue Sep 28 7:35:49 p.m. CT 2010

(KFFL) Green Bay Packers head coach Mike McCarthy said RBs Brandon Jackson and John Kuhn are good enough to help the Packers reach the goals they have this season, reports The Green Bay Press Gazette. He said rushing attempts isn't the only way for a team to gauge the productivity of their running game.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

GB's offensive coordinator said after week 3's game that there were holes there in the first half for the running game and they schematically did a good job. However, the execution was just not there.

-NEWS FLASH-

Brandon Jackson is a mediocre 2nd stringer / 3rd down back at best.

John Kuhn is a fullback and will not carry the Packers to Jerry World.

Ryan Grant suffered an injury almost exactly the same as Dorsey Levens, which derailed the latter's career. That won't be dead on TT.

Without a running game they will make the playoffs but probably not reach the Superbowl.

No team in the NFC will trade any RB to GB, and perhaps not even AFC contenders (you don't want to make them a juggernaut).

Marshawn Lynch gives them a back that is extremely gifted and could blossom into a premiere RB in the NFL for a long time. With no idea how Grant will recover and with their complete lack of a running game (aka Aaron Rodgers scrambles + 40 RB yards), their best short and long term solution to the problem is trading for a back exactly like Lynch. His value is lower than it should be and he could pay huge dividends for years to come. Although Ted covets his draft picks, sometimes you need seize the opportunity you have now while also realizing that Lynch has a good chance of out-performing the value of the draft pick(s) you send for him (maybe a 3rd and a 5th or just a 2nd straight up).

If I could speak to Ted Thompson...

WTF is the plan there Ted Thompson? You going to keep drafting 2nd round picks of the likes of Brandon Jackson, Jordy Nelson, etc., or are you going to trade for a bona fide star running back in Lynch who you wanted to draft in the first round in 2007? A back who can run and catch, has visiion, elusiveness and power. Don't be stupid here. Your team is strong almost everywhere except very weak at running back. Lynch is better than Ryan Grant so trade for him and sign him. Or don't. I win either way. If you don't trade for Lynch, you don't get to the Super Bowl, maybe not even the playoffs; as a Cowboys fan, I like this. With a trade for Lynch my running back core in fantasy football gets better (I have Spiller now too after a trade that got me both Lynch and Spiller who weren't even the main part of the trade).

:music_guitarred:

They didn't score only 17 points because the run game. They only scored 17 because penalties kept them out of the endzone. While I still think they will need a run game when they get up on some teams, their passing game is on a level above everyone else's. It is probably due to the fact that they drafted every one of these offensive players and they seem to know exactly what is going to happen and where everyone else is on every snap. Couple that with Rodger's ridiculously quick release, and you have a passing game like no other.

Again.. they need to find a running game, but if there were any team that needs to rely on a passing attack, the Pack is the team that can perform.

Respectfully, MANY of those penalties came because they were passing and not running the ball. Holding, False starts, illegal formations/shifts... Mark Tauscher is probably still pump faking right now in his sleep. That brought back visions of Neil Smith tormenting the Raiders O-linemen. Tauscher was false starting so much last night he looked like a piece of popcorn in a popcorn machine. Dude was all covered with salt and butter... And for damned sure he needed to tramp stamp Julius Pepper's name on his ass because he got downright abused by the guy.

It's been a pleasant surprise that Rodgers has not taken the beating so far this season that was inflicted on him last year. But I am worried as hell that opposing teams will start entirely blowing off the run, pin their ears back, and start really dealing some mayhem on Rodgers. I don't care how good they are at the short passing game, and they ARE good, you have got to have a ground game to keep the other guys honest. I mean, Jackson and Kuhn? Is McCarthey serious, or just postering?

I've got Lynch stashed on my bench right now, anticipating a move which should be so obvious it can called with Braille. But I'm not Ted Thompson, I mean, what the f*ck do us dipsh*t fans know?

Ya, this trade seems like it should be a no-brainer. GB has to know that the ability to run is crucial against the top teams in the NFL. If they have to play IND for the Superbowl, Freeney and Mathis will eat up the Pack's tackles for probably a combined six sacks and a boatload of hits and hurries. Another side effect of running the ball is the ability to set up the play action pass as well as having fewer double teams on your quality receivers.

This O-line is hardly dominant. They know the passing game is their strength and it's hard to commit mentally and physically to pushing people around when it's so much easier to drop back in a stance and deal with a pass rush. Since Brandon Jackson isn't a bruiser and neither are his blockers, they should really work on developing more draw plays and improve their screen game.