Sign in to follow this  
fanfootballtn

++ UPDATE - DeSean Jackson signed by Redskins

Yea, I like Andre Roberts too. Kind of suprised they want DJax with Garcon and Andre Roberts, but without a decent WR3 I guess it makes sense to put Andre Roberts in the slot IF they get DJax.

i wished for a surprise nor'easter sunday nite to block the flight from landing, no luck. since his agent is still there, im left with hoping for a surprise out break of agent shingles.

The Skins have the cap space. I expect a signing to happen before 5pm. I he leaves the building unsigned he's a Raider.

:dunno: care to adjust your expectationometer?

Per Adam Schefter, it looks like the agreement is in place. Finalizing a 3-year deal.

I think the biggest winner here is RGIII. I can't really see Jackson putting up the numbers he did last year in Philadelphia with Garçon, Jordan Reed and Andre Roberts in the receiving mix.

:dunno: care to adjust your expectationometer?

Yeah, by about 6 hours.

Go Skins!

Yeah, by about 6 hours.

Go Skins!

revisionist history, kent. you cant revise it post deal, that's cherry pickn!

HTTR

My understanding is the Redskins didn't have much cap room so they must have been doing some jiggling to make the math work. Although they're based in a city famous for fake budget numbers, in their case there will be adult supervision double checking them.

I really hope they have solid plans to upgrade their line. If their offense needed an immediate upgrade that was the biggest area of concern.

I still dont think their defense is near good enough to compete with the eagles. I bet jacksons gang members are proud of him.

I think the biggest winner here is RGIII. I can't really see Jackson putting up the numbers he did last year in Philadelphia with Garçon, Jordan Reed and Andre Roberts in the receiving mix.

The thing was done specifically for RGIII. The Skins have so much invested in him that he must succeed at any cost. As far as numbers go, I think the bidding starts at 65-1100-6. Garcon 85-1100-6. Reed 50-700-5.

revisionist history, kent. you cant revise it post deal, that's cherry pickn!

HTTR

Haha. Well, I was off a bit. As a Skins lifer I stayed up late following the story, amd when they announced Desean was staying in a hotel overnight I started to celebrate. 30 minutes later he signed.

The best part for me is that I my wife is an Eagles die hard lifer. I actually had to go to the Eagles Super Bowl game loss against the Patriots.

I married her anyway, but this was great. She is pissed at the Eagles management as a Djax fan. Then again, last time we got an Eagles cast off it didn't turn out so well.

I really hope they have solid plans to upgrade their line. If their offense needed an immediate upgrade that was the biggest area of concern.

I still dont think their defense is near good enough to compete with the eagles. I bet jacksons gang members are proud of him.

I agree with you. They need to draft o-line and secondary. I'd prefer if they draft defense as a priority though. It was painful watching the d last year. I still can't understand the love affair with D Hall. He's awful. I'd like to see their first second round pick go to corner.

Dumb move by Washington, IMO. They have much more fundamental needs to address in other areas. This was more of a luxury signing that you do as the final piece of a puzzle.

Fantasy-wise, I feel like this hurts garçon quite a bit, no? Maybe I'm selling him short but I always figured he produced so well there because RGIII didn't have many other options.

Dumb move by Washington, IMO. They have much more fundamental needs to address in other areas. This was more of a luxury signing that you do as the final piece of a puzzle.

Fantasy-wise, I feel like this hurts garçon quite a bit, no? Maybe I'm selling him short but I always figured he produced so well there because RGIII didn't have many other options.

They don't have draft picks and this move didn't cost any. The passing attack became a one trick pony last season and ranked last in deep ball completions for the year. They addressed a fundamental need at WR IMO. It was a gift the way the Eagles dumped Jackson. If you watched the first half of every skins game last season, they struggled throwing the ball with garbage like Hankerson and Morgan in the first halves. Games were garbage time stats so many times. Djax is a huge upgrade over those clowns.

Fantasy wise it will probably hurt Garçons yardage numbers but his TD numbers could go up. Overall I think he probably loses stats though, yeah.

They don't have draft picks and this move didn't cost any. The passing attack became a one trick pony last season and ranked last in deep ball completions for the year. They addressed a fundamental need at WR IMO. It was a gift the way the Eagles dumped Jackson. If you watched the first half of every skins game last season, they struggled throwing the ball with garbage like Hankerson and Morgan in the first halves. Games were garbage time stats so many times. Djax is a huge upgrade over those clowns.

Fantasy wise it will probably hurt Garçons yardage numbers but his TD numbers could go up. Overall I think he probably loses stats though, yeah.

"Didn't cost any"? Yeah aside from a rather large chunk of their cap. Combined with garçon that is a lot of money to tie up in the WR position when you need to be building up the foundation first.

"Didn't cost any"? Yeah aside from a rather large chunk of their cap. Combined with garçon that is a lot of money to tie up in the WR position when you need to be building up the foundation first.

Didn't cost any draft picks I said.

It's a challenge to build a foundation through the draft for them this season with no first rounder. In effect Djax became a gifted 1st rounder this year. Or should they have just saved the cap space for reasons? Garçon is on board for the long term and Djax signed a three year deal. After this year Orakpo will be gone and that cap space returns. And the Skins will spend every penny of it. Washington doesn't sit on cap money.

Besides, tying up cap space on two young pro bowl wrs in their prime isn't a bad move I could argue.

Didn't cost any draft picks I said.

It's a challenge to build a foundation through the draft for them this season with no first rounder. In effect Djax became a gifted 1st rounder this year. Or should they have just saved the cap space for reasons? Garçon is on board for the long term and Djax signed a three year deal. After this year Orakpo will be gone and that cap space returns. And the Skins will spend every penny of it. Washington doesn't sit on cap money.

Besides, tying up cap space on two young pro bowl wrs in their prime isn't a bad move I could argue.

Spending for the sake of spending isn't wise. You need to spend but you also need to spend smartly. I'd think a Redskins fan would understand this as well as anyone (yes, I went there).

Two pro bowlers sounds great but I'd argue WR is really not that important of a position until you've solidified the defensive front seven and offensive line. But if they manage to do that despite trying a lot of cap room up in the WR position then more power to them I suppose

Spending for the sake of spending isn't wise. You need to spend but you also need to spend smartly. I'd think a Redskins fan would understand this as well as anyone (yes, I went there).

Two pro bowlers sounds great but I'd argue WR is really not that important of a position until you've solidified the defensive front seven and offensive line. But if they manage to do that despite trying a lot of cap room up in the WR position then more power to them I suppose

You are missing the point of this move. RGIII needed instant and direct help. O-line is the only other place the Skins need help and frankly there was no one out there with talent equivalent to DJax to fill that need, so I assume they will fill it in the draft. This is not a typical Skins reach.

Yeah, I am also a huge believer in defense. I think the secondary is the biggest need and was dying when they didn't go after Captain Munnerlyn. I think that kid is really good and would have been a huge help on a terrible secondary. I like the cheap Ryan Clark signing but he's old and I'm not sure if it was a smart spend. I know paying DHall was a mistake. He's proven to be awful. After early free agency came and went Djax now is a pure gift.

I hope they draft a corner or DT with their few early draft picks. They need a consistent pass rush. It's not all on the secondary, but still. Haha, the D needs a ton of help. :(.

Haha. Well, I was off a bit. As a Skins lifer I stayed up late following the story, amd when they announced Desean was staying in a hotel overnight I started to celebrate. 30 minutes later he signed.

The best part for me is that I my wife is an Eagles die hard lifer. I actually had to go to the Eagles Super Bowl game loss against the Patriots.

I married her anyway, but this was great. She is pissed at the Eagles management as a Djax fan. Then again, last time we got an Eagles cast off it didn't turn out so well.

lol! yeah, i like the add too. the cost wasn't what i thought it would be, so im ok with the add overall.

dont rib her too hard at dinner tonite! :) cut her some slack.

this allows them to not have to consider a WR @ #32 overall. now they can invest that pick on a RT, LB, or safety. its a good move from that sense.

FF wise, yes, it hurts garcon. he led the league in targets, that aint happening now. with that said, djax stretches the field, which should garcon underneath, so overall not devasting to garcon's ff value.

Yeah, I am also a huge believer in defense. I think the secondary is the biggest need and was dying when they didn't go after Captain Munnerlyn. I think that kid is really good and would have been a huge help on a terrible secondary. I like the cheap Ryan Clark signing but he's old and I'm not sure if it was a smart spend. I know paying DHall was a mistake. He's proven to be awful. After early free agency came and went Djax now is a pure gift.

I hope they draft a corner or DT with their few early draft picks. They need a consistent pass rush. It's not all on the secondary, but still. Haha, the D needs a ton of help. :(.

clark is viable fill in @ FS. it allows merriweather to play in the box @ SS, instead of in space, like last yr. clark also means that p thomas can take his time coming back, no pressure to step in right away.

d hall is constantly underrated, people say he doesn't tackle, BS. check the film. all people remember is the ride he took on cam during cam's rookie yr that costs the skins the game, its not poper context. as far as lockdown corner, there are only 8/9 in the entire league anyway, less than 1 per every 2/3 teams. he's more than servicable in coverage.

as far as rush, hatcher was big signing. he'll give some good rush and can play inside on 3rd down. would they like ot have more? sure. but it isn't gonna be as bad as last yr.

clark is viable fill in @ FS. it allows merriweather to play in the box @ SS, instead of in space, like last yr. clark also means that p thomas can take his time coming back, no pressure to step in right away.

d hall is constantly underrated, people say he doesn't tackle, BS. check the film. all people remember is the ride he took on cam during cam's rookie yr that costs the skins the game, its not poper context. as far as lockdown corner, there are only 8/9 in the entire league anyway, less than 1 per every 2/3 teams. he's more than servicable in coverage.

as far as rush, hatcher was big signing. he'll give some good rush and can play inside on 3rd down. would they like ot have more? sure. but it isn't gonna be as bad as last yr.

Well, they rate the corners on the league now statistically and I believe Hall ranked dead last. I need to find the ratings.

Well, they rate the corners on the league now statistically and I believe Hall ranked dead last. I need to find the ratings.

love to see the metrics on that. in my mind, i see no formula that could truly equate that type of thing. way too many variables that aren't truly tangible.

I agree with the concept, but this is a different situation. This addition actually makes RG3 much more dangerous. two stud WR's and who do you double team?

Its not like they are spending cash on a player who has turned it on and off.... this guy has been productive and highly productive under two different coaches.

he may have his issues in the dressing room or off the field, and players like that tend to wear out their welcome after 2 or 3 years.... but this is a 3 year contract. It's Not offensive like some of the 5 year deals I have seen.

My prediction is that he plays super well for at least 2 years, then starts to whine about his contract situation. At that point he gets dumped or traded.

I guess I'm mostly in favour because of the length of contract (3 years) and because this guy has been money on the field.

Length of the contract does not mean much IMO. In reality most contracts are only for a few years as the longer ones almost always end up being restructured if the player is not outright released beforehand.

Length of the contract does not mean much IMO. In reality most contracts are only for a few years as the longer ones almost always end up being restructured if the player is not outright released beforehand.

Pretty much. All the local media is saying this is effectively a two year deal. We will see.

Too bad DJax only runs a fly route and hangs out with murderers. :(

No one is talking about the elephant in the room. Since the Redskins play the Eagles twice a year, will DeSean "Crip Walk" in the end zone after he returns a kick against them?

Too bad DJax only runs a fly route and hangs out with murderers. :(

He also catches a mean bubble screen pass.

I held my breath every time he caught one against the skins. So damn fast.

Sources: DeSean Jackson Was A Problem For Kelly, Eagles In Locker Room

Philadelphia, PA (CBS) — In the days following DeSean Jackson’s release by the Eagles, speculation ran rampant as to the reasons why. Everything was to blame from Jackson’s petulant, rambunctious sideline behavior, to his alleged gang ties, to Jackson’s character, to this being Chip Kelly’s fault.

But what a number of sources close to and around the team, including current and former players, as well as additional sources within the Eagles revealed was that Jackson was not very well liked by his teammates, was blatantly insubordinate, with temper tantrums cussing out Kelly several times in front of the team, pushed the NFL rookie coach the way “a child would test boundaries,” and was more concerned with his rap label than he was about winning football games.
Several other sources also suggested that Jeremy Maclin may have had something to do with Jackson being released, telling Eagles’ management it was either him or Jackson.
“The fact is, [Jackson] was a ‘me-guy’ with an attitude problem and [Maclin] is the complete opposite, a team guy, a great character guy you go to war with,” said one source. “Funny how [Jackson] has this anti-bully thing and he thought he could push [Kelly] around; he found out otherwise. His being cut had nothing to do with the gang stuff. The team knew it. Everyone knew he had ‘ties.’ Those were his guys. That’s okay. What put him out was his selfishness. He can try and spin it all he wants how he’s ‘a team player.’ He’s not. I’ll put it this way, when it came out last Friday that [Jackson] was released, more than a few guys were happy it happened. They said ‘good riddance.’ He had no real connection with anyone.

“Yes, you can say he was the type that could catch three TDs in a loss—everyone would be down, but you had the impression he was happy, because he got his. It was all about him. A lot of guys thought that way about him. [Kelly] came in here with a plan to get this thing right, and the one major [obstacle] standing in his way was [Jackson]. If we were going to move forward as a team, he had to go. Think about it—did anyone come right out and back him publicly? Not one.”
Why didn’t Andy Reid or Marty Mornhinweg, the Jets’ offensive coordinator, want any part of Jackson before he signed a three-year, $24-million contract with the Redskins on Wednesday?
They apparently knew the potential headache Jackson was.
Kelly received some culpability in the opinion of some. But numerous sources confirmed that “Big Balls” Chip should have been canonized St. Chip after putting up with the instigating Jackson in 2013.
“You see little kids and how they cry and whine when they don’t get their way, that was D-Jax,” another source said. “I don’t think [Jackson] gave [Kelly] the respect he deserved. Kelly tried to reach [Jackson] plenty of times and [Jackson] tuned him out. Then you look at team functions, when everyone is out together at charity things or social stuff. He was the one missing. It was like he was in ‘D-Jax world’ and we just happened to be there.

“With Reid, [Jackson] tried pushing boundaries there, too, but he looked at Reid, I think, much differently than he looked at [Kelly]. Reid came in with an NFL pedigree. He was the guy that drafted [Jackson]. He was the one that called him on draft day and laid the law down right then: [Reid] wouldn’t tolerate any outside interference from anyone. Now you get this college guy [Kelly] and he’s not going to tell [Jackson] what to do. [Kelly] has a vision for this team—and he is a very old-school coach in a lot of ways. But there’s only so much [a coach] can take. [Jackson] was an a—— to [Kelly].”
In 2012, under Reid, Eagles’ management did reward Jackson a new five-year deal worth $48 million. He did have some minor flare ups with the law. In 2009, Jackson was pulled over by police for having illegally tinted windows and it was discovered he had marijuana in the car.

Still, Jackson stayed.
“That was all [Reid’s] doing,” opined someone close to the situation that asked that his name not be used. “[Reid] thought he could control [Jackson]. He could, to a degree. Kelly put up with [Jackson] behind closed doors. A lot of guys didn’t like how he talked to [Kelly]. And a lot of guys just didn’t like him. They thought he was too into his rap label than he was about winning games. The guy performed, there’s no questioning that. But you had to keep a constant eye on him. Guys put in extra time. He didn’t. It’s like he never grew up.”
Asked why the Eagles have been reluctant to go public with how difficult Jackson was to deal with, sources said Kelly likes to keep in-house dirt in-house.
“That’s [Kelly’s] way,” said one source. “It pisses me off that [Kelly] comes off looking like the bad guy here. It wasn’t just [Kelly] that wanted him gone. [Kelly] got a lot of feedback from guys that felt we were better off without [Jackson], too. [Kelly] is very much a player’s coach. His office is open to anyone. Now [Jackson] is the Redskins’ problem. We have something good going here and it’s going to get better without [Jackson]. He had to go.”

• Like 1

LOL at Maclin. "It's me, the perennial disappointment coming off a season in which I didn't play a single game or him, the playmaking Pro Bowler coming off a career year!"

But yeah, DJax sounds like a major headache. He'll fit in nicely in Washington

Time will tell. Fact is the Eagles have to replace 1200 yards of passing offense and have lost some of the ability to stretch the field. Everyone in the division is happy about that.

Yeah but when the 1200 yards is from a POS the team as a whole is usually better off.

i agree, to a point. and i didnt and still dont like the signing, but it is a good deal moneywise.

however, the eagles went 10-6 last yr and were a decent team with djax under reid, too.

so all that winning and competitiveness was in despite having djax? seems a little hard to believe, a lot of the stuff in that article reaks of hyperbole.

It shall be interesting to see how he fits in with the Skins and if he changes his attitude as describe by the Iggles.

With this signing and Clark. I think they are about $1mil shy of the cap.

Clark should bring immediate leadership for that defense and mentoring the younger secondary guys. Lost a few steps though.

i agree, to a point. and i didnt and still dont like the signing, but it is a good deal moneywise.

however, the eagles went 10-6 last yr and were a decent team with djax under reid, too.

so all that winning and competitiveness was in despite having djax? seems a little hard to believe, a lot of the stuff in that article reaks of hyperbole.

Or you could argue the Eagles never reached their true potential with Jackson and should have gone farther. Plus the article says he was more respectful toward Reid.

Losing DJax definitely hurts the Eagles on O. Spriles was a very good add, they'll draft a receiver early and I expect Ertz to take a big leap but nobody on the team deserves the kind of over the top safety help that Desean drew every week. They must have really tired of his bull to cut him.

I'm not really worried about Desean blowing up in Washington though. He's a great deep threat but not really a complete receiver, going from an O that was tailored to his strengths to a team without the OL to open him up for those deep bombs.

For what Washington paid him I expect they're going to he disappointed in what they got a few seasons from now.